Bug or conscious change? Apple Pencil for iPad Pro gets gimped by iOS 9.3 betas

Comments

• Reply 21 of 60
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member

mike1 said:
    It would be rather tedious and annoying to have to reposition or put down the pencil while navigating. Hope this is a bug.
    Humans generally have two hands.  
  • Reply 22 of 60
    Mr_GreyMr_Grey Posts: 118member
    I think this is a good move if it is indeed intentional.  

When you are drawing, you move the paper around on the table with your non-dominant hand and draw with your dominant hand.  In the iPad metaphor, the iPad is the "paper" and using your pencil to move the paper around is kind of crazy really.  You want to be able to use both hands at once, one for zooming in and out and moving the paper around and the other (with the pencil) for drawing.  Makes total sense metaphorically. 
  • Reply 23 of 60
    I am preferring the pencil as it is right now. Limiting the functionality would make this tool useless for me.
    techlover
  • Reply 24 of 60
    netroxnetrox Posts: 1,429member
    I have Pencil and it makes sense to disable some of the gestures which fingers are better used for. I like to scroll with Pencil but it shouldn't be used to scroll though. A finger is more than enough to scroll. Instead of scrolling, it should have the ability to highlight, not scroll hence "marking" it.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 25 of 60
    To me, this is definately not limiting. Actually, I think it will add functionality since it will allow me to easily scroll the paper that I'm drawing on. And yes, I scroll (and zoom) with the same hand that I'm holding the pencil in — quite intuitively with the two available fingers.
    mr o
  • Reply 26 of 60
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:
    It's not a walled garden, it's a concentration camp.
    except you're free to leave anytime you wish. yeah just like it.

just use tools you enjoy if you hate apple gear so much. or troll harder, since it clearly makes you feel good.
    edited January 2016 Rayz2016williamlondontallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 60
    Mr_Grey said:

mike1 said:
    It would be rather tedious and annoying to have to reposition or put down the pencil while navigating. Hope this is a bug.
    One hand is used to hold the iPad which leaves one hand to navigate/draw, I think having to put down and pick up the pencil to switch functions would create unnecessary tactile discontinuity (learned that in interface design class). In the end though, why not leave it up to the user on how they want to work rather than forcing certain workflows on them?
    techlovercnocbui
  • Reply 28 of 60
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member
    I doubt it's a bug. I'm guessing the original implementation of allowing people to use it to navigate was the oversight. Anyone with a little imagination can see where disabling it can lead... Ink. Whenever the keyboard pops up and the iPad senses the Pencil on it, it switches to a  handwriting recognition input mode. There are many, many other uses for removing the Pencil from using for standard/general navigation, especially when it comes to text editing; draw a squiggle over text in an input field and it's deleted. Using your fingers to select and edit text is a pain, the Pencil can be used as a much more precise and capable tool.
    edited January 2016 radarthekatRayz2016pscooter63
  • Reply 29 of 60
    WTF!? The Pencil is the best thing about the iPad Pro. I am sure it's a bug.

On a separate note (and I've said this before), if Apple is serious about making the Pro a productivity/enterprise device, it needs to up its game on enabling easier file transfers between the desktops/laptops and iOS. E.g., via AirDrop or Bluetooth. Otherwise, it'll just be a niche product. That would not be good in the face of declining iPad sales.
    Not sure it is a big deal not to be able to navigate with a pencil/stylus. Apple is trying to define an experience in which they have had a pretty good track record with. I personally would not have an issue if they kept allowing this as it just opens more doors for users...however it may lead to some bad app design changes as well... What would you do about file transfer? I have no issue going from Mac/iOS/PC with files. I have and still used iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive. All work flawlessly. Airdrop is OK as well. What are you looking for?
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 30 of 60
    jpm1680 said:
    It makes sense to me. If you're supposed to mark up a PDF, it would be more logical if the fingers scrolled and the Pencil marked.
    I agree with your sentiment but I do find myself using the pencil to scroll and navigate sometimes when I am drawing or marking up a document...
    yojimbo007
  • Reply 31 of 60
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Mr_Grey said:

mike1 said:
    And hold their devices in their teeth.
  • Reply 32 of 60
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    jdgaz said:
    Personally don't want to have to put the pencil down to do a bit of scrolling then pick it up again to continue marking up a doc. consider the pencil a temporary finger in those cases.
    Why would you put down the pencil?
    I have a sheet of paper on my desk; I write on the sheet of paper; when I need to move the sheet aside I don't put down my pencil. I just touch the sheet with my finger (pencil still in hand) and slide it up / down; left / right.

Edit: Funny; reading some comments, it seems like some people have forgotten how one actually works with documents on a desk with a pencil in their hand. One is constantly using both the marker utility, and their fingers to get the job done.
    edited January 2016 williamlondon
  • Reply 33 of 60
    WTF!? The Pencil is the best thing about the iPad Pro. I am sure it's a bug.

On a separate note (and I've said this before), if Apple is serious about making the Pro a productivity/enterprise device, it needs to up its game on enabling easier file transfers between the desktops/laptops and iOS. E.g., via AirDrop or Bluetooth. Otherwise, it'll just be a niche product. That would not be good in the face of declining iPad sales.
    Not sure it is a big deal not to be able to navigate with a pencil/stylus. Apple is trying to define an experience in which they have had a pretty good track record with. I personally would not have an issue if they kept allowing this as it just opens more doors for users...however it may lead to some bad app design changes as well... What would you do about file transfer? I have no issue going from Mac/iOS/PC with files. I have and still used iCloud Drive, Google Drive, Dropbox and OneDrive. All work flawlessly. Airdrop is OK as well. What are you looking for?
    You obviously have no clue, or have not tried Airdrop, Google Drive, or Dropbox as ways to transfer files (e.g., Keynote, Excel) from MacOS to iOS. It's not currently possible to do so except via iTunes, iCould or as an email attachment.

Don't make up stuff. Educate yourself: https://support.apple.com/kb/ph3497?locale=en_US ;("techprod1gy" indeed).

edited January 2016
  • Reply 34 of 60
    yojimbo007yojimbo007 Posts: 1,165member
    If they do that in final version... Ill get rid of my pro and pencil... Im getting sick of apple saying my way or the highway.... Its is very conveniant to use the pencil for navigation... Rather than constantly switch between penicl and finger. .
    cnocbuianantksundaram
  • Reply 35 of 60
    jpm1680 said:
    It makes sense to me. If you're supposed to mark up a PDF, it would be more logical if the fingers scrolled and the Pencil marked.
    I agree with your sentiment but I do find myself using the pencil to scroll and navigate sometimes when I am drawing or marking up a document...
    Yes... And there is no good reason to limit this functionality for those who feel comfortable that way...
    but apple wants to have its stubborn way i guess... Sigh... 
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 36 of 60
    mjtomlinmjtomlin Posts: 2,677member
    Yes... And there is no good reason to limit this functionality for those who feel comfortable that way...

Give me a break. There's a lot more functionality the Pencil can offer rather than as a replacement for your finger. It's a different tool and can have many different abilities.

And I'm not sure how you write, but it takes very, very little effort to switch back and forth from pencil to using my middle finger.

If you want a stylus for navigation, you can buy them for as little as $10.
    edited January 2016 williamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 37 of 60
    mjtomlin said:

Give me a break. There's a lot more functionality the Pencil can offer rather than as a replacement for your finger. It's a different tool and can have many different abilities.

And I'm not sure how you write, but it takes very, very little effort to switch back and forth from pencil to using my middle finger.

If you want a stylus for navigation, you can buy them for as little as $10.
    And now have two styluses? One for drawing and one for navigation? Back to the same problem.
    anantksundaram
  • Reply 38 of 60
    This is actually good, and will let developers do a lot more cool stuff. 

Like imagine a paint program where you can have TWO TOOLS SELECTED AT THE SAME TIME, like, you tap eraser w/your finger, and now your finger is the eraser; you tap brush with Pencil, and now Pencil is the paintbrush (but finger is still eraser).

Or maybe they release little finger thimbles or rings you wear so each finger can be a different type of tool, or you can have multiple pencils and each one serves a different function.

Seriously, guys, instead of insta-trolling, instead, think outside of the box—I promise Apple is, and I promise Apple thought about this way longer and harder than you.

Instead of the world ending, you could realize, "oh wait, I could like, use my pinky on my pencil hand sometimes" and boom, problem solved by a pinky.
    williamlondonpscooter63
  • Reply 39 of 60
    Mr_Grey said:
    I think this is a good move if it is indeed intentional.  

When you are drawing, you move the paper around on the table with your non-dominant hand and draw with your dominant hand.  In the iPad metaphor, the iPad is the "paper" and using your pencil to move the paper around is kind of crazy really.  You want to be able to use both hands at once, one for zooming in and out and moving the paper around and the other (with the pencil) for drawing.  Makes total sense metaphorically. 
    Incorrect reasoning, since you could already do the things you described before the Pencil was "gimped".  In order to make a real case to support this change to the Pencil, you should identify what it allows you to do now that you couldn't do before, and explain why it is necessary to "gimp" the other functionality.
    edited January 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 40 of 60
    philter said:
    This is actually good, and will let developers do a lot more cool stuff. 

Like imagine a paint program where you can have TWO TOOLS SELECTED AT THE SAME TIME, like, you tap eraser w/your finger, and now your finger is the eraser; you tap brush with Pencil, and now Pencil is the paintbrush (but finger is still eraser).

Or maybe they release little finger thimbles or rings you wear so each finger can be a different type of tool, or you can have multiple pencils and each one serves a different function.

Seriously, guys, instead of insta-trolling, instead, think outside of the box—I promise Apple is, and I promise Apple thought about this way longer and harder than you.

Instead of the world ending, you could realize, "oh wait, I could like, use my pinky on my pencil hand sometimes" and boom, problem solved by a pinky.
    you can have all of that without limiting the stylus functionality.... 
    Give people some choice rather than dictate ...apple .

edited January 2016 anantksundaram