Bug or conscious change? Apple Pencil for iPad Pro gets gimped by iOS 9.3 betas

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 60
    Jonny Ive loves having a long leash, now that the Steve is no longer around. He's removed functionality from other Mac software (iTunes since v10 - to MY chagrin)  He produces "intuitive" like he pronounces "aluminium"
  • Reply 42 of 60
    Slightly off-topic, but has anyone found a good solution to Pencil storage/attachment to the iPad pro or its keyboard?
  • Reply 43 of 60
    Pretty sure this is a bug. It wouldn't be the first time a large bug has made it to the next beta. iOS 8 had a persistent Bluetooth bug that lasted all the way until GM. Also Apple aren't the sort of company to cull less used features so soon after launch, they know the dissatisfaction that can cause. Especially when it's so natural to use the Pencil to navigate while drawing.
  • Reply 44 of 60
    cornchipcornchip Posts: 1,949member
    Haha! Love it! My guess is "feature that won't make it to final release", although I think it's a very Apple move and wouldn't be mad if they left it. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 45 of 60
    Jonny Ive loves having a long leash, now that the Steve is no longer around. He's removed functionality from other Mac software (iTunes since v10 - to MY chagrin)  He produces "intuitive" like he pronounces "aluminium"
    Let's not blame Jony Ive for Marketing's every decision. I have a feeling that Ive may not be so much involved with the latest products. Consider the Watch: Apple purchased its design from someone else who also offered his work force as a bonus. Its rounded loose-leaf brick design contrasts severely with Ive's perfectionist razor-sharp precision-centric designs. Put the Watch near the Macbook or 5s and hide the logos: they don't match. I don't want to attribute to Jony Ive the stupid plastic antenna bands and the slippery jelly bean roundness of 6 series, either...

Anyway, maybe I'm just wrong. Feel free to ignore...
  • Reply 46 of 60
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    Let's not blame Jony Ive for Marketing's every decision. I have a feeling that Ive may not be so much involved with the latest products. Consider the Watch: Apple purchased its design from someone else who also offered his work force as a bonus. Its rounded loose-leaf brick design contrasts severely with Ive's perfectionist razor-sharp precision-centric designs. Put the Watch near the Macbook or 5s and hide the logos: they don't match. I don't want to attribute to Jony Ive the stupid plastic antenna bands and the slippery jelly bean roundness of 6 series, either...

You seem to be clueless.

Jony was intimately involved with the Apple Watch as his pal Marc Newson, who was lured to Apple for "special" projects. Jony may not have preferred the antenna bands or the camera bulge, but his team was absolutely involved with the design of all of the hardware products that Apple sells.
    edited January 2016 cornchip
  • Reply 47 of 60
    tmay said:

You seem to be clueless.

Jony was intimately involved with the Apple Watch as his pal Marc Newson, who was lured to Apple for "special" projects. Jony may not have preferred the antenna bands or the camera bulge, but his team was absolutely involved with the design of all of the hardware products that Apple sells.
    Watch is not Ive's design, it is Marc Newson's. It had even a brand and web site. Same design...
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 48 of 60
    All the complainers are doing it wrong.

When you are writing in a book and you need to turn the page do you drop the pen and turn the page? If you do you're a bit mental.

If you're writing or drawing and you need to scroll why would you put the pen down to do this? Do you only have one arm? Fair enough if that is the case but I expect you to be in the minority.
    cornchipmr o
  • Reply 49 of 60
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member

When you are writing in a book and you need to turn the page do you drop the pen and turn the page? If you do you're a bit mental.

If you're writing or drawing and you need to scroll why would you put the pen down to do this? Do you only have one arm? Fair enough if that is the case but I expect you to be in the minority.
    Then that would make it a stylus which I keep getting told on here that the Pencil isn't a stylus. It's meant only for writing, and drawing, not for manipulating the UI. 
    mr o
  • Reply 50 of 60
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    mr o said:
    Apple has repeatedly violated their own UI guidelines and made app interaction needlessly difficult. Case in point: Apple's own Music app.
    Touché. But that's Eddy's corner. I fully agree with you.

This is Jony Ive we are talking about. Gotta love his focus. Pencil sharp!

>:x
    Yes. And Jony Ive famously stated that the Watch is intended for brief glances, anything else and you should pull out your iPhone. So I look forward to Apple adding a restriction of allowing only a "glance" worth of text in watch OS 3. Maybe limited to only 20 characters. 
    cnocbui
  • Reply 51 of 60
    WTF!? 
    I concur.
  • Reply 52 of 60
    512ke512ke Posts: 782member
    Sorry to jump into a convo in the middle, but this is my response to this article:

Dude, if you paid a thousand bucks for a pencil, it better have a LOT of freaking functionality.

Want to limit it in certain instances? Fine, have a control panel that lets the user decide how functional is this pencil.

• Reply 53 of 60
    jdgaz said:
    Personally don't want to have to put the pencil down to do a bit of scrolling then pick it up again to continue marking up a doc. consider the pencil a temporary finger in those cases.
    Absolutely.

Design the UI for fingers - definitely. But don't prohibit the pencil from using it, makes no sense. Presumably it's a bug in the beta.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 54 of 60
    command_f said:
    jdgaz said:
    Personally don't want to have to put the pencil down to do a bit of scrolling then pick it up again to continue marking up a doc. consider the pencil a temporary finger in those cases.
    Absolutely.

Design the UI for fingers - definitely. But don't prohibit the pencil from using it, makes no sense. Presumably it's a bug in the beta.
    I guess some people are so personally offended by someone using the Pencil in a way other than their own personal use which is the only way that should be allowed.  These same people are most likely the ones who argue against having touchscreens on laptops or monitors.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 55 of 60
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member

Then that would make it a stylus which I keep getting told on here that the Pencil isn't a stylus. It's meant only for writing, and drawing, not for manipulating the UI. 
    Are you serious? The guy didn't say one thing about manipulating the UI with the pencil.
    If you can't hold a pencil in your fingers, and STILL use your fingers to manipulate the UI at the same time, you should probably stick to a mouse and keyboard.
    It's amazing to me, how many people seem to think that if you are holding a pencil in your hand you MUST perform each, and every single action using that pencil. (Definitely no artists around here, that's for sure)
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 56 of 60
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Pretty sure this is a bug. It wouldn't be the first time a large bug has made it to the next beta. iOS 8 had a persistent Bluetooth bug that lasted all the way until GM. Also Apple aren't the sort of company to cull less used features so soon after launch, they know the dissatisfaction that can cause. Especially when it's so natural to use the Pencil to navigate while drawing.
    Really? Do you navigate a drawing pad with a pencil. Personally I use my finger to turn or move pages while I'm drawing. (I don't even have to put down my pencil when I do it). Ridiculous.
  • Reply 57 of 60
    I cannot believe that Apple would act so childish as to remove the use of the pencil. It has to be a bug ( hopefully), but as long as I can still use the pencil for drawing , that is all I purchased it for, I don't see a problem . As direct opposition to Wacom now , it would be ridiculous to get rid of the pencils use . I have found it an improvement in some ways to use the pencil, while still using the fingers in combination. Don't let the artist's down now Apple . .
  • Reply 58 of 60
    steveausteveau Posts: 299member
    WTF!? The Pencil is the best thing about the iPad Pro. I am sure it's a bug.

On a separate note (and I've said this before), if Apple is serious about making the Pro a productivity/enterprise device, it needs to up its game on enabling easier file transfers between the desktops/laptops and iOS. E.g., via AirDrop or Bluetooth. Otherwise, it'll just be a niche product. That would not be good in the face of declining iPad sales.
    Agreed! And there are lots of potential customers waiting on full HWR for the iPad Pro too.
  • Reply 59 of 60
    cnocbui said:
    It's not a walled garden, it's a concentration camp.
    except you're free to leave anytime you wish. yeah just like it.

just use tools you enjoy if you hate apple gear so much. or troll harder, since it clearly makes you feel good.
    You can still be an Apple user without using an iOS product. I'm also not a real big fan of iOS because of the Walled Garden. Though I still use iPads as the music creation apps are fantastic, my general tablet needs are met with a new Pixel C.
  • Reply 60 of 60

mjtomlin said:
    Yes... And there is no good reason to limit this functionality for those who feel comfortable that way...
    but apple wants to have its stubborn way i guess... Sigh... 

Give me a break. There's a lot more functionality the Pencil can offer rather than as a replacement for your finger. It's a different tool and can have many different abilities.

And I'm not sure how you write, but it takes very, very little effort to switch back and forth from pencil to using my middle finger.

If you want a stylus for navigation, you can buy them for as little as $10.
    I just fixed the problem all together by benching the Pencil and buying a Jot Touch, I'm not an artist anyway, so any advantages the Pencil had weren't really needed. The Jot has palm rejection and pressure sensitivity, writes and scribbles flawlessly, to the point where I couldn't tell the difference, the best thing is I can use it throughout iOS. Which is something I absolutely wanted, regardless of all that B.S. about how the iPad is a touch device and the stylus is obsolete but the Pencil is the future crap.  I think the user should decide on how they want to use their own equipment period, limiting the functionality of the Pencil, especially when the decisions is based off of some nonsensical corporate vision that was made up in order to save a little face because of what was said years earlier in regards to the stylus in general, just isn't right.
    cnocbui