Mac, iOS versions of Safari crashing due to search suggestions feature [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    stevie said:
    All software has bugs.  Nothing to see here.
    True. A bit like a certain nfl / Microsoft incident, huh?
    singularity
  • Reply 22 of 32
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    wiggin said:

I wonder if this may be resulting from the recently discovered method of crashing Safari with a specifically crafted web page. If someone seeds enough pages with the right key words to get indexed by the search engines, then when Safari's suggestions function tries to preload one of those pages it crashes Safari.
    Completely unrelated. The intentional Safari crash is related to browser history only. Search suggestions does not preload pages.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 23 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    macapfel said:
    Oh yeah! I have this. I switched to firefox, as Safari is completely unusable. Crashing instantly, repeatedly, about dozens of times today.
    Firefox on iOS uses Safari as the core, like all browsers on iOS. 
    Not the search field. That's safari. WebKit is what's shared. 
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 24 of 32
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    wiggin said:
    Yeah, as if Cook himself personally is responsible for solving the bug...

Anyways, you can also just enter your search term in the spotlight(?) screen, when you swipe down or left on the home screen, and then select 'search on web'..
    No, but he is responsible for setting the tone and direction for Apple. That includes how frequently and dramatically the OS is updated as well as how much to budget for quality control and testing. This is not a new thing since Cook took over, Apple's obsession with annual releases and it's cash horde started while Steve Jobs was still around and Tim Cook was in charge of operations. In that role Tim was brilliant and can probably be largely credited with helping Steve save Apple. He slashed a lot of expenses and optimized Apple's operations. But Steve was also there to provide the overall vision and tempo of the company. And crack the whip when necessary. Steve was obsessed with perfecting Apple's products. Tim is obsessed with making Apple efficient and massively profitable. Those two goals sometimes conflict.

My sense is that, as CEO, Tim has left the vision and perfecting of Apple's products to underlings; and they aren't getting the job done as well as they used to under Steve (but still getting it done much better than most other companies...Steve set a very high bar). They still deliver great new features, but it sometimes feels that nobody is sweating the details (other than from a graphic design, does it look pretty perspective). That shouldn't necessarily be the job of the CEO of a multi-billion dollar company, but it's the role Steve Jobs played. If Tim Cook can't fill that role, he needs to ensure someone else does. And they haven't found that person yet.
    The place needs more fear. 

The problem here was testing procedures rather than the testing. The bug was due to a server issue producing ( probably) malformed urls, which crashed safari. Safari might have crashed because of an exception or an assertion, previous versions of the SDK were kinder to nulls. (and the URL object will return null if the string it receives can't be formatted into a URL). Safari was tested on 9.2.1 but the server update happened afterwards. Even though the bug manifested in safari the testing issue is in the server code (which might be the same team), surely they use safari to test autocomplete? 
    volcan
  • Reply 25 of 32
    sog35 said:

Anyways, you can also just enter your search term in the spotlight(?) screen, when you swipe down or left on the home screen, and then select 'search on web'..
    Yes Cook is responsible ultimately. He is the CEO.

The farther we get away from Jobs the more confusing, cluttered, and bug infested Apple services is becoming. 
    Unfortunately, I would have to agree with sog35. I seriously wish it wasn't true, but it is.
    asdasd
  • Reply 26 of 32
    sog35 said:

Yes Cook is responsible ultimately. He is the CEO.

Problem is this is not an isolated occurence.  iOS/OSX and Apple Apps and services have experienced way more bugs since the Steve Jobs days. 

Apple Music deleting playlists and files
    iPad Pro crashing when being charged
    Safari problems
    Maps debacle
    AppleTV having no keyboard/Remote App support
    iTunes a total dumpster fire.

The list goes on and on. The farther we get away from Jobs the more confusing, cluttered, and bug infested Apple services is becoming. 
    Thank you so much!  After the day i have had i needed a strong laugh.  I guess antenna gate, cracks in the G4 Cube, as others have stated MobileMe, iPod Hi-Fi didn't happen under Jobs watch either huh?  When we fail to acknowledge the failure in others, we become the failure.
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 27 of 32
    stevie said:
    All software has bugs.  Nothing to see here.
    Microsoft could use that as the tagline for Windows.
  • Reply 28 of 32
    Safari isn't supposed to crash? I thought that was an El Capitan feature.
    asdasd
  • Reply 29 of 32
    taskisstaskiss Posts: 1,212member
    Clearing the cache is the browser equivalent of a windows reboot.  If you don't know that, shame on you 
  • Reply 30 of 32
    I will not give any penny of mine to crapple products again. I have an iPhone Mac and iPad pro. Mac works fine but pro and iphone works terrible now, yesterday I was calling and then screen went black for 4 hours. I could not restart and then finally battery went to 0 and then it came back to life, so frustrating. No more crapple 
  • Reply 31 of 32
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 879member
    Yeah something's up.  Because safari is getting slow, and I am ending up in chrome a little more every day, and I don't like that AT ALL.