Intel details new Skylake chips hinting at Apple's future 15" MacBook Pro specs

Comments

• Reply 41 of 62
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    mr. h said:
    cnocbui said:
    I thought I was describing the Macbookization of the Pro, not it's demise.  Your expectation of two USB-C ports I'll take as agreement smile

I imagine the hoards of people - all five of them - who have purchased thunderbolt accessories will be delighted.
    If you Macbookize the Pro to the extent you suggest, it is no longer a Pro, and just a MacBook.

I hope the Pro will have USB C and Thunderbolt.
    I suppose that hinges on whether Pro is a measure of ports or performance.  I hope, but know it's forlorn, that it would have USB, USB-C, HDMI, Headphone, SD card and Mag-safe.  I don't care about thunderbolt as it is an evolutionary dead-end due to excessive cost.  Switching to USB-C for power from Mag-safe is so retrograde I would fumble for the words sufficiently derisory.  I think there was once an idea floated of USB-C connections and power incorporated into a Mag-safe carrier.  Now that would be a good move.  Apple could put all the missing ports on the power adapter.  I could probably live with that.  Being expected to clutter-up with expensive dongles is not my idea of progress.
  • Reply 42 of 62
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    cnocbui said:
    mr. h said:
    If you Macbookize the Pro to the extent you suggest, it is no longer a Pro, and just a MacBook.

I suppose that hinges on whether Pro is a measure of ports or performance.  I hope, but know it's forlorn, that it would have USB, USB-C, HDMI, Headphone, SD card and Mag-safe.  I don't care about thunderbolt as it is an evolutionary dead-end due to excessive cost.  Switching to USB-C for power from Mag-safe is so retrograde I would fumble for the words sufficiently derisory.  I think there was once an idea floated of USB-C connections and power incorporated into a Mag-safe carrier.  Now that would be a good move.  Apple could put all the missing ports on the power adapter.  I could probably live with that.  Being expected to clutter-up with expensive dongles is not my idea of progress.
    Get rid of all the ports and have one USB-C port on each side. It'll make the Macbook Pro futureproof: just update the dongle instead of a whole laptop.

Personal message to Jony Ive: Do not bother putting a headphone jack on the (12 inch) Macbook Pro, instead have two USB-C ports for left and right handed use. I am not being sarcastic.

( ! ) Message to the AI reader: Give it a thought before hitting the Dislike button. Do you really want to end up with ports on your Macbook Pro that will be outdated in three years time? I prefer the flexibility of the dongle and USB-C port. It keeps you at the sharp end of Technology.
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 43 of 62
    mr o said:
    cnocbui said:
    Get rid of all the ports and have one USB-C port on each side. It'll make the Macbook Pro futureproof: just update the dongle instead of a whole laptop.

Personal message to Jony Ive: Do not bother putting a headphone jack on the (12 inch) Macbook Pro, instead have two USB-C ports for left and right handed use. I am not being sarcastic.

( ! ) Message to the AI reader: Give it a thought before hitting the Dislike button. Do you really want to end up with ports on your Macbook Pro that will be outdated in three years time? I prefer the flexibility of the dongle and USB-C port. It keeps you at the sharp end of Technology.
    No device that relies on Li-ion batteries is future-proof.  My Macbook pro retina is already complaining the battery is mostly stuffed and needs 'Service!'
    edited January 2016
  • Reply 44 of 62
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,564member
    mr. h said:
    cnocbui said:
    mr. h said:
    I don’t see why they would do that on the Pro machine. What you’re talking about here is Apple dropping the MacBook Pro completely, which I very much hope they don’t do.

I expect the next MacBook to have two USB C ports.
    I thought I was describing the Macbookization of the Pro, not it's demise.  Your expectation of two USB-C ports I'll take as agreement smile

I imagine the hoards of people - all five of them - who have purchased thunderbolt accessories will be delighted.

It will have Thunderbolt *VIA* USB-C. I hope to god they don't drop the 3.5mm audio jack, as I use it every day for (pro) work. I could conceivably live with a tiny D/A dongle, but if that leaves me with a single port for charging AND peripherals (such as a MIDI converter), I'd be slightly pissed.
  • Reply 45 of 62
    spheric said:
    mr. h said:

It will have Thunderbolt *VIA* USB-C. I hope to god they don't drop the 3.5mm audio jack, as I use it every day for (pro) work. I could conceivably live with a tiny D/A dongle, but if that leaves me with a single port for charging AND peripherals (such as a MIDI converter), I'd be slightly pissed.
    The headphone jack is a case in point: it makes sense in 2016, but it'd be an antiquity in 2018, and it won't fit your 2017 headphones. Hence the beauty of a dongle. It gives free rein to the ever changing world of Technology without making your complete laptop obsolete.

I sure hope Apple would have the decency to have two USB-C ports on a Pro machine. Especially with those power hungry apps.

>:x
  • Reply 46 of 62
    mr o said:
    spheric said:
    The headphone jack is a case in point: it makes sense in 2016, but it'd be an antiquity in 2018, and it won't fit your 2017 headphones. Hence the beauty of a dongle. It gives free rein to the ever changing world of Technology without making your complete laptop obsolete.

I sure hope Apple would have the decency to have two USB-C ports on a Pro machine. Especially with those power hungry apps.

I have a pair of headphones with a 3.5mm plug I have been using since 1995.  this idea you seem to have of rapid obsolescence in all things is a delusion.
  • Reply 47 of 62
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    cnocbui said:
    mr o said:

I have a pair of headphones with a 3.5mm plug I have been using since 1995.  this idea you seem to have of rapid obsolescence in all things is a delusion.
    Hear! Hear! The 3.5 mm plug isn’t going away. It might disappear from the iPhone, but not from anything else. Anyway, there’s plenty of room to have USB-C for an element of future-proofing, [b]and[/b] things like HDMI, 3.5 mm ports etc.
  • Reply 48 of 62
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,701member
    mr. h said:
    cnocbui said:

Not necessarily. If you have TB3 via USB-C (2 ports), quad-core CPU w / Intel Iris Pro 580 iGPU (but no discreet GPU), retina screen, PCIe SSD, Lightning port for headphones, thinner / lighter - it would still be a rMBP in my books.  I reckon performance will still be there.
  • Reply 49 of 62
    cnocbui said:
    mr o said:

Obsolescence? On the contrary. Your mid 2016 Macbook Pro will stay relevant longer. It will last as long as the lifespan of its Lithion ion battery, or until it reaches vintage status with Apple. You'd still be able to use your 1995 headphones with headphone jack through the dongle.

It is the dongle that will end obsolescence without putting brakes on innovation. Frankly, I'd be dissappointed if Apple would mill all the usual ports that are relevant in 2016 in its mid 2016 Macbook Pro.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 50 of 62
    bobschlob said:
    I love the feel of the shallow travel of the keys. I find it's the 'size' of the keys on the MacBook that throw me. I wish they had left the key size alone.
    I do not own  MacBook, but it is top of my purchase list when the update comes out. So I hope I can figure out a solution to that problem.
    The shallow keys is what I think my problem is. I'm frequently hitting between two keys and hitting the trackpad with my thumb instead of the spacebar. On the previous keyboard the keys were high enough where I could instantly feel and correct my position when I was hitting between two keys. Now since the keys are practically flush, I don't get that feedback.  Slowing down my typing definitely helps, but is a pain.
    That sounds awful.  I've seen so many negative comments about the butterfly keyboards that I hope Apple is listening and acting accordingly.

I'm still on a 2010 17" MBP which I was about ready to chuck out the window while waiting for this 2016 update (not to mention waiting for apps to load up and stop bouncing!).  But I couldn't take it anymore and changed out the hard drive for a 1TB SSD, and...holy crap, what a difference. It feels like a brand new computer.  If this thing was retina I'd be keeping it until it turns into dust, especially since it will be my last 17".   
  • Reply 51 of 62
    mr o said:
    cnocbui said:
    Obsolescence? On the contrary. Your mid 2016 Macbook Pro will stay relevant longer. It will last as long as the lifespan of its Lithion ion battery, or until it reaches vintage status with Apple. You'd still be able to use your 1995 headphones with headphone jack through the dongle.

It is the dongle that will end obsolescence without putting brakes on innovation. Frankly, I'd be dissappointed if Apple would mill all the usual ports that are relevant in 2016 in its mid 2016 Macbook Pro.

Complete nonsense.  I don't have a single USB-C plug compatible device in the house.  I have so many USB plug compatible devices I wouldn't like to try counting them. HDMI is ubiquitous and USB-C isn't going to make a dent on that, ever.

What is RELEVANT is what I posess and what I use.  My MBPR is 4 years old and the battery isn't happy, so if the lifespan of a MBPR is only 5 years, arguing for it needing to be future proof is fallacious, it needs to be relevant to the here-and-now, not the unknowable maybe.

I don't want dongles, they are an aesthetically, and technically  inellegant franken-kludge, like the hideous Apple iPhone battery case.  They introduce multiple potential points for failure.

A dongle is something your very career depends on, which you don't happen to have on you at the time or which has just broken.
  • Reply 52 of 62
    cnocbui said:
    mr o said:

Complete nonsense.  I don't have a single USB-C plug compatible device in the house.  I have so many USB plug compatible devices I wouldn't like to try counting them. HDMI is ubiquitous and USB-C isn't going to make a dent on that, ever.

What is RELEVANT is what I posess and what I use.  My MBPR is 4 years old and the battery isn't happy, so if the lifespan of a MBPR is only 5 years, arguing for it needing to be future proof is fallacious, it needs to be relevant to the here-and-now, not the unknowable maybe.

I don't want dongles, they are an aesthetically, and technically  inellegant franken-kludge, like the hideous Apple iPhone battery case.  They introduce multiple potential points for failure.

A dongle is something your very career depends on, which you don't happen to have on you at the time or which has just broken.
    cnocbui, you've lost me here:

You say *it needs to be relevant to the here-and-now*, then a dongle is what you need. The world of Technology is not going to wait 3+ years until your mid 2016 Macbook Pro batteries reach end of life status.

And you cannot expect the new Macbook to be compatible with your 20+ year old headphones. It is great you are still using them, and a dongle will make them futureproof for years to come. So, give the dongle some Love.

edited January 2016
  • Reply 53 of 62
    mr o said:
    cnocbui said:

You say *it needs to be relevant to the here-and-now*, then a dongle is what you need. The world of Technology is not going to wait 3+ years until your mid 2016 Macbook Pro batteries reach end of life status.

And you cannot expect the new Macbook to be compatible with your 20+ year old headphones. It is great you are still using them, and a dongle will make them futureproof for years to come. So, give the dongle some Love.

No
    mr. h6Sgoldfish
  • Reply 54 of 62
    mr. hmr. h Posts: 4,870member
    cnocbui said:
    mr o said:

No
    Classic. Thanks for the laugh!
  • Reply 55 of 62
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    cnocbui said:
    mr o said:

No
    Giving the dongle some love costs extra.

I think to a certain extent, the ports they will make available depends on the heat dissipation from the Skylake processors. For the Pros, that's going to be a major concern which will probably control how thin they can make the chassis, and that in turn will determine which ports and how many will fit.

They may make some decisions for purely aesthetic reasons, they have in the past, but I think they'll want to keep multiple ports on the pro. Even the 3.5mm audio jack, since it's compatible with the iPhone headset. Even if they are ditching it on the iPhone, I don't think they want to introduce that concept here.
  • Reply 56 of 62
    With a MBP I can stop depending on a remote VM and use Bootcamp/ VMWare Fusion to do my development locally.

haha no I don't think you'll be doing much anything with VMware Fusion dawg…

edited January 2016
  • Reply 57 of 62
    anome said:
    cnocbui said:
    No
    Giving the dongle some love costs extra.

I think to a certain extent, the ports they will make available depends on the heat dissipation from the Skylake processors. For the Pros, that's going to be a major concern which will probably control how thin they can make the chassis, and that in turn will determine which ports and how many will fit.

They may make some decisions for purely aesthetic reasons, they have in the past, but I think they'll want to keep multiple ports on the pro. Even the 3.5mm audio jack, since it's compatible with the iPhone headset. Even if they are ditching it on the iPhone, I don't think they want to introduce that concept here.
    Buying an anchor and a suitably strong chain and attaching it to my car and then driving around dragging it would cost extra too.  The idea inspires exactly the same degree of 'love' in me as do dongles;  none whatsoever.
  • Reply 58 of 62
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    Are these the chips with Iris Pro in them?
  • Reply 59 of 62
    mr. h said:
    I hope it’ll have Thunderbolt 3 so that it doesn’t have to have both ports.
  • Reply 60 of 62
    frank777frank777 Posts: 5,839member
    Does this "price list" that Intel put out have the dates these processors will be available?

Did the article forget to mention it, or do people really order processors without knowing when they'll arrive?