App face-off: Apple iMessage vs. WhatsApp Messenger

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 45
    spielbrot said:
    I think you missed this in the article and left the impression that Apple Messages is a Apple to Apple solution only. Apple Messages connects to non-Apple users through SMS and you can add Facebook, Google Talk, AIM, MSN messengers as well. For me its a multi-messenger window.
    You can't send to more than 10 SMS users.  That's the problem that WhatsApp solves.  iMessage sends to more than 10 users, but ONLY to other iMessage users.  Some number less than 100% of Apple users are using iMessage because they're forced to use other solutions.  0% of other platform users are using iMessage and are not exposed to the Apple world.  One thing that Apple did that kick-started it's tremendous growth was port iTunes to Windows.  That fueled the iPod growth that led to the iPhone.  Even if Apple wanted to charge $2 per year to non-iPhone users, they'd still kill WhatsApp...and add to the "Services" recurring revenue stream that Wall Street whines about.
  • Reply 42 of 45
    crofford said:
    spielbrot said:
    I think you missed this in the article and left the impression that Apple Messages is a Apple to Apple solution only. Apple Messages connects to non-Apple users through SMS and you can add Facebook, Google Talk, AIM, MSN messengers as well. For me its a multi-messenger window.
    Some number less than 100% of Apple users are using iMessage...

Probably could say that about almost all Apple software...
  • Reply 43 of 45
    what about BBM?  I must say that it is a great messaging platform.  I am about to message a non iPhone user in Canada from my IPhone with it no problem.  It has the encryption that whats app is lacking, and there is no privacy concerns.  I know a lot of people are anti blackberry now but this app works well.
  • Reply 44 of 45
    Used both, prefer WhatsApp but bot apps are good.
  • Reply 45 of 45
    Who needs this piece of crap? I have iMessage for all my contacts.
    For those who are not able to have a single Apple product, there is Telegram, the iMessage for all platforms
    Asian friends are also available on WeChat and LINE, Skype is barely used but also ok.

All of the mentioned solutions let ME choose which device I use. iPhone, iPad, Mac, browser, Apple Watch...
    (Except for the poor Apple Watch app of LINE and Skype, which lets me only write answers.)

WhatsCrap? Have never seen it on my iPad. On my Mac? On my Watch? Wow, how Multi-Platform.

Seriously, I don't think this spyware deserves so much attention on the media.
    It does nothing different from all other messengers, apart from doing so much less.