Google surpasses Apple as world's most valuable company

Comments

• Reply 141 of 202
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    AppleInsider said:

Shares popped after Alphabet's announcement, rising 1.22 percent to hit $752 per share in normal trading with a market capitalization of $517.17 billion. The stock kept rising after the bell, at one point touching $813 per share, bringing its market cap up to $559.13 billion. Apple ended the day down at $96.43 with a market cap of $538.7 billion.
    When you factor in that Apple repurchased some $20 B in stock buy backs, they removed that much from the market cap. Without that it would be much closer in total value of outstanding shares.
  • Reply 142 of 202
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    woodbine said:
    poksi said:
    Have you perhaps at any point considered that there's nothing else to talk about apart from "dollar vs. yuan" and stuff? Numbers talk and services are still niche part of Apple's business without any clarity for the future growth. Cook can't really use Eddy Cue's stunts in this department to 'change the narrative' and let's be honest, Apple was lucky to hit the market with 3 new product categories within the same decade. It won't happen again in our lifetime. Now it is treated as any other hardware company with services, because market has matured and saturated in new categories where Apple pumped all its growth from.. On the other hand market believes Google is capable of rising the revenues despite this facts even in the future. This time I agree with them and I'm pretty much sure there won't be any Apple car or any other similar nonsense in the future. For any new product category you simply need another company, different mindset. This is as far as this one goes. I'm sorry about that, too. 
    I predict that spaceship they are building will become their last straw, their Waterloo....if SJ was still here he could make it work for Apple, but now it just looks like a big white elephant.
    Oh and I have been an Apple user since 1998, but since Apple went backwards on the Mac Mini upgrade, created a MacPro only the seriously rich can afford, busted up the Aperture party, went all stupid and thin on everything....I've lost my patience with Apple.
    what nonsense. the Mac Pro is a workstation -- for pros. its not for looking cool on your desk, its for making money. its an affordable tool to make money with.
    cali
  • Reply 143 of 202
    As a long term AAPL share holder, getting very frustrated with the company. It's very sad that the company is view as sole hardware company when there's a huge software company in the back making the hardware and the whole eco system possible. Combine that with minimal growth between major release cycle, this is the main reason we're sitting at 10PE. Instead of spending billions in buyback, yes we know shares are suppress but it always has been for as long as I can remember. So the question become how much can you really buyback ?? Instead use those billions to put your giant software company to works. As an example, BIDU market cap as of this writing sitting at 54B. Use the billions to partner up, make a investment, or dare I say ?? start your own search. Go knock on Googl or FB door. How many company can say that you have a billion device running your OS. Use that to your advantage, AppleSearch, AppleFaceBook. There’s a large loyal user base, why not put it into good use. Hardware wise, go vertical and secure your supply line. With 60% of rev coming from iPhone, secure the major components, display, mem, Achip. There are more then enough demand coming from within to have subsidiary that manufacture any of those major component. Open fab next to Sammy. Dear AAPL, There are so many different things can be done with all your money, please go spend it. Please do not be so conservative, we know you're going to bat 100%. For those that failed, we will understand but if you don't swing you will not hit home run. Yours truely.
    cali
  • Reply 144 of 202
    I figured this was going to happen when Google shot up after Facebook announced earnings. Wall Street loves so-called services companies right now, especially ones with little exposure to China.   Not sure there's much Apple can do about that. I hope Apple management doesn't overreact and start doing dumb things (like buying Time Warner) just to try and change the Wall Street narrative on the company.
    Let's see, Google is trading at about 33 times its earnings while Apple is trading at about 10 times its earnings.
    If Apple could trade at just 20 times its earnings, it would be worth over a Trillion dollars, let alone 33 times.

How can Apple Achieve this? 
    Apple needs to offer more services that earns lots of money to offset the iPhone dependency.  (Like ApplePay, AppleTV, AppleMusic, AppleMaps etc...)  This can help Apple beat estimates more reliably in difficult markets and trade at a higher multiple.

From this point of view, it is actually a great idea for Apple to buy Time Warner and prop up the AppleTV service globally.
    For example a full blown, first class AppleTV "service" offering News, TV Shows, Movies, Video Conferencing, Market Data to individuals and businesses would be a much bigger money maker than iTunes and would help sell a lot more iOS devices including AppleTV hardware devices.

cali
  • Reply 145 of 202
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    tmay said:
    Your comments bely your pimping $150 for Apple stock last year; maybe you prefer to call it cheerleading, but either way, a self-serving 180 degree turn on the stock.
    My view of Apple stock changed 180 degrees because the financials changed 180 degrees. Last year Apple was growing revenues by 30%. Tim Cook just guided revenue to be negative 10% in March. That is a huge change. Its just the new reality. If you dont allow new facts to change your opionion on a stock then you ate cheerleading,
    A 40% shift in profits is what Samsung reported.  Apple changed trajectory by 40%.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 146 of 202
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    sog35 said:
    tmay said:
    Your comments bely your pimping $150 for Apple stock last year; maybe you prefer to call it cheerleading, but either way, a self-serving 180 degree turn on the stock.
    My view of Apple stock changed 180 degrees because the financials changed 180 degrees. Last year Apple was growing revenues by 30%. Tim Cook just guided revenue to be negative 10% in March. That is a huge change. Its just the new reality. If you dont allow new facts to change your opionion on a stock then you ate cheerleading,
    You have been crying your sad tale long before the financials came out in January. You have a propensity to change your story so frequently that I feel free to call you out for the coward that you are: take responsibility for your losses and stop blaming Tim and Apple.

Stop lying to yourself and learn from the errors that you made as an investor.
    nolamacguysingularitycali
  • Reply 147 of 202
    sog35 said:
    Just sold a ton of my shares. I won't buy a single share back until Cook is fired.
    yeah, and you also said you were going to self-ban. that didn't happen either. 
    singularitycali
  • Reply 148 of 202
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    josu said:
    poksi said:

"... it wouldn't hurt noting that the only service Apple does nowadays is reselling IP...."    IP => Intelectual Property. Last time I checked apps and music were exactly that. Ignoring conveniently everything else what was written there. ;)
    Perdona yo hablo castellano, si tu utilizas contracciones que no conozco es tu error, no el mío, si hablas para todo el mundo, procura hacerte entender, yo, a propósito no me hago entender ahora, te buscas un traductor, capullo, y déjate de jilipolleces pitagorin resabido.

I will not translate my post, If you want to ridiculice mine you must first be fluent in my own language, OK. So IP, is Intellectual Property, OK , but usually here in Spain we know IP as the IP Address of Internet. You are speaking to a global audience, reduce your localisms to a bare minimum, because they can be misleading, capullin.
    Seriously?? I don't care what your mother tongue is, I can write you the same in mine and in other 4 languages I'm fluent at. If you want to discuss, then ask if you don't get something, it's fine, but don't spin this into some kind of imaginary language war, because you are right now ridiculing yourself.
    Especially by hanging on one petty single punch in a long list or arguments you have no guts, logic and knowledge to even discuss or counter. Go to sleep...
    jackansi
  • Reply 149 of 202
    sog35 said:
    God I wish he would have sold them all so we could get rid of him once and for all.
    your inability to see both sides of the coin may hurt you. Why do you want to get rid of me? Because the truth hurts? Cause you don't want to hear the possibiity of Apple really messing up things this time?

I noticed that you think Apple will never stagnate. That's the first sign that you are being more of a cheerleader than investor. No company is immune to the possibility of stagnation and then shrinkage.

What gives you confidence that Apple can find the 'next big thing' to replace the inevitable shrinking of iPhone sales?
    because we tire of repetitive trolls? maybe? as for Apple and what reasons there are that they can come up with another massive succes, here are a few:

Apple II
    Macintosh
    iMac
    iPod
    iTunes Store
    MacBooks
    iPhone
    iPad
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 150 of 202
    sog35 said:
    Just sold a ton of my shares. I won't buy a single share back until Cook is fired.

It is unforgivable that a company can lose $250 billion in market cap TWICE in 3 years during a Bull market.

I still hold 900 shares, but hold little hope for it.  I'm just going to collect dividends.  Hopefully in a few years Cook is fired and we can get the old Apple back.

I'm thinking of using the cash from selling Apple to buy Google. I hate Google the company but it is painfully obvious they know what they are doing. This is investing. This is not charity. I buy stock to make money, not cheer lead.  Google is just so much smarter than Apple at this point it hurts.

Good job Tim Cook. You've done something I thought was impossible. Make me think Google's future is brighter than Apple's.
    Go then, Buy Google, where is the problem?
  • Reply 151 of 202
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,453member
    cnocbui said:
    sog35 said:
    A 40% shift in profits is what Samsung reported.  Apple changed trajectory by 40%.
    $58 Billion Q2 2015 revenue vs estimated $50-$53 B Q2 2016 is not -40 percent Y on Y change in growth.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 152 of 202
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    That must hurt.
    It will be the year of the big decline for Apple; keeping product prices that high is eventually unsustainable.
    I hope Apple will recognize that quickly and also stop burning its money (why not give it to the current employees, that would be a nice bonus).
  • Reply 153 of 202
    I figured this was going to happen when Google shot up after Facebook announced earnings. Wall Street loves so-called services companies right now, especially ones with little exposure to China.   Not sure there's much Apple can do about that. I hope Apple management doesn't overreact and start doing dumb things (like buying Time Warner) just to try and change the Wall Street narrative on the company.
    Let's see, Google is trading at about 33 times its earnings while Apple is trading at about 10 times its earnings.
    If Apple could trade at just 20 times its earnings, it would be worth over a Trillion dollars, let alone 33 times.

Apple needs to offer more services that earns lots of money to offset the iPhone dependency.  (Like ApplePay, AppleTV, AppleMusic, AppleMaps etc...)  This can help Apple beat estimates more reliably in difficult markets and trade at a higher multiple.

From this point of view, it is actually a great idea for Apple to buy Time Warner and prop up the AppleTV service globally.
    For example a full blown, first class AppleTV "service" offering News, TV Shows, Movies, Video Conferencing, Market Data to individuals and businesses would be a much bigger money maker than iTunes and would help sell a lot more iOS devices including AppleTV hardware devices.

They are simply not good at services yet they want to do everything by themselves. If they buy something, then they buy something small, so it can be easily swallowed and doesn't make and noticeable impact on company in general. They don't want that whether good or bad. It is frustrating to see Apple Music and iTunes shite compared to Spotify and other competitors knowing that iTunes is there for almost decade and half... Instead of Apple as pioneer serves an example, it is rather opposite.. Look at the Apple TV channels.... They are adding them at the crawling speed and very limited to certain markets, yet even very small companies are easily outperforming them in the field... Even local cable providers...
    Still after soooo many years they didn't bother to support trial software and returns option on Appstore...
    The only service that works well, where it works, that it, is Apple Pay. Unfortunately, they are so focused on stripe card infested US market, that they waste huge european opportunity. Possibly elsewhere, too. While there's very strong support from banks right from the start here in UK, they are doing ZERO on both attracting new retailers and customers. 

That is frustrating and not the bloody stock. Still, it seems that stock definitively picks quite a lot of what I wrote about and looking at how Apple is handling these things I wouldn't valuate it more than the market myself.
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 154 of 202
    h2ph2p Posts: 335member
    poksi said:
    This time I agree with them and I'm pretty much sure there won't be any Apple car or any other similar nonsense in the future. For any new product category you simply need another company, different mindset. This is as far as this one goes. I'm sorry about that, too. 
    Ha, Haa, Haaaa, Haaaaaaa. You sound like one of the Apple is Doomed people.
    cali
  • Reply 155 of 202
    sog35 said:
    yeah, and you also said you were going to self-ban. that didn't happen either. 
    Yep, wish he were a man of his word and self-banned.

Also going to be humorous when Apple storms back by end of this year...with Cook still at the helm. Will he have more than 900 shares (i.e. still not a man of his word) or will he be kicking babies around wishing he had bought back?  Haha.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 156 of 202
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    tmay said:
    Just two weeks ago he was telling everyone to wait until the stock dropped to 92 and then load up the truck.
  • Reply 157 of 202
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,564member
    sog35 said:

It is unforgivable that a company can lose $250 billion in market cap TWICE in 3 years during a Bull market.

I still hold 900 shares, but hold little hope for it. 
    Sog, you really should keep track of your stock. Wasn't it only a year ago, perhaps a few months longer, that you said you had around 800 shares total?  Now you've "sold a ton" and still have 900?  :/
  • Reply 158 of 202
    knowitall said:
    That must hurt.
    It will be the year of the big decline for Apple; keeping product prices that high is eventually unsustainable.
    I hope Apple will recognize that quickly and also stop burning its money (why not give it to the current employees, that would be a nice bonus).
    you realize apple has had expensive computers since the 1980s, right? 

that being said, the starting prices are quite inexpensive: 

ipod: $50
    ipad: $269
    mac: $499
    macbook: $899

...the apple tax is a myth these days.
  • Reply 159 of 202

Good god no. What does Apple know about running media companies? And I have yet to see a large-scale merger or acquisition that actually panned out. AOL Time Warner was a disaster. Google ended up selling Motorola, Microsoft had to write down two large acquisitions. If Apple needs to get into TV services they should dip their toe in with Netflix like content where they pay others to produce exclusive content for them. Spending $50B on Time Warner would be a mistake IMO.
  • Reply 160 of 202
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    tmay said:
    cnocbui said:
    $58 Billion Q2 2015 revenue vs estimated $50-$53 B Q2 2016 is not -40 percent Y on Y change in growth.
    I didn't say Apple's profits declined 40%.  I said trajectory.  Sog claimed Apple went from 30% growth expectation to a 10% decline.  Samsung's hurting, Apple is barely feeling a thing.

sog35 said:
    ...Last year Apple was growing revenues by 30%. Tim Cook just guided revenue to be negative 10% in March.

edited February 2016