AppleTalk problems

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
So I'm not sure if this is the correct forum, but here it is -

AppleTalk ain't working for me. I have a PB Wallstreet 300 w/ X.1.5 and an iMac DV 400 w/ X.2.1. Also have a 'beige-box' with an AMD K6-2 350. Both Macs find the PC fine via SMB/CIFS, but refuse to see each other. Actually, I take that back; sometimes the iMac can see the PB, but not always. The PB never finds the iMac. Now, AppleTalk used to work, but I haven't needed it for a while, so I couldn't tell y'all when exactly it went south. But it's really irritating, let me tell you.

FYI, AppleTalk is on via Ethernet on both machines, the LocalTalk port on the PB is off, no other network problems (except a finicky switch that's sometimes WAY slow, but what can you expect for $18?). Firewall is down on both machines (I use BrickHouse, at least on the PB), I can FTP back and forth between them, StarCraft via UDP works, as well as via IPX (rebooted to OS 9 to check).

So, any tips, hints, clues, or similar exps?

(tig)

"We do not inherit the land from our ancestors"

"We borrow it from our children"

Comments

• Reply 1 of 2
    kecksykecksy Posts: 1,002member
    I would upgrade the WallStreet to Jaguar and see if that fixes the problem. Jaguar will also run better than Puma on your WallStreet.
  • Reply 2 of 2
    [quote]I would upgrade the WallStreet to Jaguar and see if that fixes the problem. Jaguar will also run better than Puma on your WallStreet.<hr></blockquote>

You would have to go and suggest that See, the original plan was to install Jaguar first on the PB, since it has the space available to do an 'Archive and Install'. At the time, the iMac didn't; only had about a gig available. Both are used extensively for school, and I didn't want to do a back-up/reformat/install on the iMac just then. Finally got around to it 2 days ago; had no end of problems getting it to install, but thats another story. Anyways, the long and short is that the PB won't boot from the Jaguar CD. Check out this thread on The PowerBook Source for all the details -

<a href="http://www.pbsource.com/forum/index.cgi?read=12115"; target="_blank">http://www.pbsource.com/forum/index.cgi?read=12115</a>;

But it was doing this 2 days ago before I installed Jaguar, so I don't think that's it. Thanks, though.

(tig)

"We do not inherit the land from our ancestors"

"We borrow it from our children"

[ 09-24-2002: Message edited by: The Grimace ]</p>