Late-night 'motor noises' emanate from Apple's mysterious car testing center

Comments

• Reply 21 of 45
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    tmay said:
    Rayz2016 said:
    I thought they were building an electric car, in which case they shouldn't be able to hear it.
    It's a wood chipper, and Apple is dealing with yet another leaker...
    Good point, It's time they start to take reasonable measures with those guys....Or maybe was a bunch of Wall Street Analysts.
  • Reply 22 of 45

Rayz2016 said:
    I thought they were building an electric car, in which case they shouldn't be able to hear it.
    They probably want Samsung to think otherwise....
    Well...Samsung drove that route before and was a disaster, Ok, really Samsung cars still exists and make some rebadged Nissans and Renaults in Corea. And is owned by Renault.
  • Reply 23 of 45

tmay said:
    It's a wood chipper, and Apple is dealing with yet another leaker...
    And Ming-chi Kuo was never seen again. /s
    I didn't read your post before mine, so sorry, i thought the same. My fault.
  • Reply 24 of 45
    Wouldn't be nice if the AppleCar wasn't an electric but an  8 liter V12 bi-turbo with a gazillion horses, that would be a real can guy project. And Jony garage seems to be filled with this kind of toys, all them with V8s or bigger, as far as I know he has owned an Aston Martin Vanquish first generation and a Bentley Brooklands, his current ride, a Bentley Mulsanne, don't seem to eco-friendly, Cue's Ferraris also not that eco-friendly either, not to say Steve AMG Mercedes of late.
  • Reply 25 of 45
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    Last year, representatives for the property received permits to build a 10-foot-tall security fence around the buildings Apple occupies, citing the need for both "physical security" and "visual privacy."

All it takes is one little camera-bearing drone.
    Who's got one?
  • Reply 26 of 45
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member

cmoebius said:
    Maybe the person calling the police was hired by Apple to file a false report to throw off the rumor mills.

Well, if you were Apple, wouldn't you hide your prototype NASCAR stocker until it was ready to race?
    I certainly would.
  • Reply 27 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    josu said:
    Wouldn't be nice if the AppleCar wasn't an electric but an  8 liter V12 bi-turbo with a gazillion horses, that would be a real can guy project. And Jony garage seems to be filled with this kind of toys, all them with V8s or bigger, as far as I know he has owned an Aston Martin Vanquish first generation and a Bentley Brooklands, his current ride, a Bentley Mulsanne, don't seem to eco-friendly, Cue's Ferraris also not that eco-friendly either, not to say Steve AMG Mercedes of late.
    Do as we say not as we do. 
  • Reply 28 of 45
    volcan said:
    Perhaps they were doing routine monthly testing of a diesel generator. That kind of testing is often done at night. But that's the sort of stuff you have to put up with if you choose to live near an industrial zone.
    not really, no. property ownership often entails peaceful enjoyment laws -- these laws aren't determined by who moved in when, but rather that one is entitled to the peaceful use of their own home. so yes, you can move in next to a bar (perhaps you didn't know how noisy it got) and rightfully complain until they contain their business to their own four walls.
  • Reply 29 of 45
    No one ever said it's was an electric car. It's believed to be and autonomous car. The power plant could easily be changed from normal combustion aspirated, electric OR hybrid Gas/electric which could account for the noises they heard.
  • Reply 30 of 45
    irelandireland Posts: 17,798member
    GTRownsU said:
    No one ever said it's was an electric car. It's believed to be and autonomous car. The power plant could easily be changed from normal combustion aspirated, electric OR hybrid Gas/electric which could account for the noises they heard.
    No one ever said it was an autonomous car. And it's beyond a no brainier that it'll be electric. As in battery powered exclusively. 
    edited February 2016 palomine
  • Reply 31 of 45
    Loud engine noises?

VTEC kicked in, yo.
    yo ? ,, that saying was played out in 2005 yo, please stop yo.
  • Reply 32 of 45
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    I like one day all the sudden Apple announce Apple car and preorders will be available in a day while delivery is in 6 mo. Boom...stock jumps 30%.
  • Reply 33 of 45
    josu said:
    Apple don't have technology to build gasoline engine cars. 
  • Reply 34 of 45
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    fallenjt said:
    josu said:
    Truth be told, they don’t have the technology to build anything. 
  • Reply 35 of 45
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Those were the sounds of Steve Jobs' thermonuclear war.
  • Reply 36 of 45
    fallenjt said:
    josu said:
    It's been many years since Apple owned factories to make any of their stuff they sell: FoxConn comes to mind.

Above and beyond that, they've got more than enough money stashed away they can buy stuff readily, even if a heck of a lot of assembly is required for facilities if they are forced to buy new.  Apple's strategy for a very long time has been to outsource facilities costs with factory workers to third-parties: while they have the money to bring back and create their own factories, and they could do that, they'll only do that if they figure the risks and costs are outweighed by gains, however they measure them.
  • Reply 37 of 45
    drowdrow Posts: 126member
    why is the new apple HQ circular?  two words.  underground racetrack.
    palominecaliargonautRayz2016
  • Reply 38 of 45
    fallenjt said:
    Nonsense. They have their own factory to manufacture iMacs in Cork, Ireland, that employs 4000 people: http://www.apple.com/supplier-responsibility/our-suppliers/
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 39 of 45
    fallenjt said:
    Technologies reflected in patent filling. Apple had none for Gasoline engine...
  • Reply 40 of 45
    Given that Apple says they’re testing vehicle integration (CarPlay and such), wouldn’t that be it? Obviously they’re not building a combustion vehicle.