'Bon Appetit' photographers shot all of March issue on Apple's iPhone

Posted:
in iPhone
Showcasing the power of the most popular camera in the world, professional photographers for Bon Appetit shot the food magazine's latest issue entirely with Apple's iPhone, with the publication calling it "the hippest pocket camera around."

Photo credit: Taylor Peden and Jen Munkvold for Bon Appetit.

Bon Appetit revealed the project partaken for its March issue in an update to its official blog on Tuesday. Photographers for the magazine commented on the pros and cons of going iPhone-only for a professional camera shoot.

The advantages of relying just on an iPhone are obvious, with photographers noting how little equipment they needed and how light their bags had become.

But the downsides were just as much cultural as they were technical: Photographer Matt Haas said he looked like a "tourist gone rogue" shooting with an iPhone 6s, and Cait Oppermann said she "felt like a creep" taking pictures on a phone of people waiting in line.

Daymon Gardner said shooting on an iPhone proved to be "liberating," allowing him to talk with subjects more freely while shooting. And Michael Graydon said shooting with Apple's handset forces the photographer to let go of their "ego," as a small handheld device lacks the "intense and professional" appearance of a large DSLR kit.

In terms of supplementing the iPhone, the photographers traveled light. Haas a selfie stick, while Graydon tricked out his iPhone with a tripod mount and accessory lenses equivalent to 50-millimeters, wide angle and macro.

The photographers involved came away with positive experiences, though they admitted their iPhone won't replace high-end dedicated cameras anytime soon.

"Photography is good no matter what you use, and I think there are iPhone photographers out there who take insanely good photos," Gardner said. "I still prefer to shoot with my Canon, but Mardi Gras just started here in New Orleans, and I'll definitely have my iPhone with me."

Portions of the all-iPhone Bon Appetit "Culture Issue" will be featured on the magazine's website throughout the month, and the issue will also be found on newsstands.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 21
    But no iPad Pro? Amateurs!
  • Reply 2 of 21
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    hello AI, it'd be great to include a link to the magazine.

- - - - -
    As to the article:

The iPhone is an indespensable tool for even the seasoned photographer. It is great for framing shots or remembering great locations*.
    (*) For future photo shoots in better light conditions.

>:x
    pulseimages
  • Reply 3 of 21
    slurpyslurpy Posts: 5,385member
    Funny, not ONCE have I read anywhere about a story where an Android phone was used to do an important shoot, meanwhile I've read hundreds of these stories. 
    JinTech
  • Reply 4 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    They're just mocking poor Tim Cook's Super Bowl brag shot ("Hey look at me, I'm on the damn Super Bowl TURF!!!") aren't they?

That's sort of mean.....
    edited February 2016
  • Reply 5 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    Not surprising. For 99% of people, an iPhone is all the camera that they will ever need.

pulseimages
  • Reply 6 of 21
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    apple ][ said:
    Not surprising. For 99% of people, an iPhone is all the camera that they will ever need.

Hey the absolute BEST camera is always the one you have with you right?

Or as WeeGee put it*: "f8 and BE THERE".

* Well, as long as you're not Tim Cook, obviously....
  • Reply 7 of 21
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    jfc1138 said:
    That was a pretty embarrassing blunder on his part.

The damn story was even on my local TV news channel that very same night!
  • Reply 8 of 21
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,039member
    Yet there are plenty of camera snobs out there saying "all cell phone cameras suck" and "I'll never use a cell phone camera." I'll grant that a nice professional DSLR is more versatile with respect to zoom, aperture, light gathering ability, lens choices, etc. but the camera on the iPhone 6 series is pretty darn good.
  • Reply 9 of 21
    Screw the phone; gimme a slice of one of those blister crusted pies. Yum!
    jdgaz
  • Reply 10 of 21
    flaneurflaneur Posts: 4,526member
    Damn, the tattooed arms are a visual blight. Very unappetizing, 'cause they call attention to human flesh.

What happened to good taste? The red plaid isn't so great either. Who's the art director of this mess?
    edited February 2016 eliangonzal
  • Reply 11 of 21
    flaneur said:
    Damn, the tattooed arms are a visual blight. Very unappetizing, 'cause they call attention to human flesh.

What happened to good taste? 
    I keep telling my teenage children that there are four career choices they can make and do very well in life without a high degree of education.

1...Optometrist (because kids hold their phones 9" from their face on the lowest brightness setting, in an effort to conserve battery)
    2...Pediatrist (because arch-less flip-flops are the go-to 
    footwear of choice, 3 seasons a year)
    3...Pharmacist (because there is a pill or potion behind every cure, or so we're told)
    4...Dermatologist (because there will be millions of poorly placed/ugly/overbearing tattoos folks will want removed...when they realize what was cool then is not so much now.
  • Reply 12 of 21
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,039member
    flaneur said:

I keep telling my teenage children that there are four career choices they can make and do very well in life without a high degree of education.

1...Optometrist (because kids hold their phones 9" from their face on the lowest brightness setting, in an effort to conserve battery)
    2...Pediatrist (because arch-less flip-flops are the go-to footwear of choice, 3 seasons a year)
    3...Pharmacist (because there is a pill or potion behind every cure, or so we're told)
    4...Dermatologist (because there will be millions of poorly placed/ugly/overbearing tattoos folks will want removed...when they realize what was cool then is not so much now.
    Yeah, none of those require much schooling...
  • Reply 13 of 21
    slurpy said:
    Funny, not ONCE have I read anywhere about a story where an Android phone was used to do an important shoot, meanwhile I've read hundreds of these stories. 
    That doesn't say much about the usefulness of the phones as cameras. There are Android cameras that are better and that are worse than iPhone cameras for various generations. None of the cameras are appropriate for professional shoots. Most of the photos I sell are impossible with any phone camera or even a nice point and shoot camera.

Of note on the subject of Android camera selection...

• Reply 14 of 21
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    bobschlob said:
    Screw the phone; gimme a slice of one of those blister crusted pies. Yum!
    Go to "Pizza My Heart", dude!
  • Reply 15 of 21
    apple ][ said:
    jfc1138 said:
    That was a pretty embarrassing blunder on his part.

The damn story was even on my local TV news channel that very same night!
    Slow news night.
  • Reply 16 of 21
    slurpy said:
    That doesn't say much about the usefulness of the phones as cameras. There are Android cameras that are better and that are worse than iPhone cameras for various generations. None of the cameras are appropriate for professional shoots. Most of the photos I sell are impossible with any phone camera or even a nice point and shoot camera.

What does that stupid, irritating ad have to do with Android camera selection? 
  • Reply 17 of 21
    flaneur said:

If it's over your head, I'm not going to explain it. But I'll chuckle.
  • Reply 18 of 21
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    flaneur said:

2...Pediatrist (because arch-less flip-flops are the go-to 
    footwear of choice, 3 seasons a year)
    Pharmacis is one of the hardest thing to get into in the medical field around here... Maybe better to redirect your kid to be and astronaut instead... It's obviously "easier".
  • Reply 19 of 21
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    The advantages of relying just on an iPhone are obvious, with photographers noting how little equipment they needed and how light their bags had become.
    In my experience, even a full size camera is the smallest piece of equipment used in professional photography. We do our photoshoots at the same studio that does fast food restaurant photography. They have a full professional kitchen, with chef and about two tons of lighting equipment, huge camera platforms, as well as a few 27" iMacs. They also have a pottery studio to make their own dishes as well as lots of marble, granite, vases, and other props. I would expect that Bon Appetite has pretty much the same set up, so saying all you need is an iPhone to do this sort work is complete BS in my opinion.
    edited February 2016 cnocbui
  • Reply 20 of 21
    flaneur said:
    If it's over your head, I'm not going to explain it. But I'll chuckle.
    What, that you can choose from 88 different Android cameras, some of them maybe even ok? Bullcrap, you just wanted to post that tasteless ad, which you thought was worth watching. Garbage.