US AG Lynch says FBI not asking Apple to break into iPhone, simply disable 'password blocker'

Comments

• Reply 41 of 71
    The single most important event in Tuesday's Judicial Committee hearing was when Comey admitted that this order to weaken iPhone security will not prevent terrorists and criminals from using encrypted communications.

So this means the actions of the FBI and DoJ will gain them nothing in the long run, while vastly increasing the chances of putting the data security and personal safety of tens of millions of americans (and hundreds of millions of others around the world) in jeopardy.

Does this seem stupid to you too?
    SpamSandwichmatrix077baconstangmacsince1988nouserRayz2016
  • Reply 42 of 71
    If a scenario like this - and a few others coming from the same direction in the past ten days - were scripted into a TV series such as, I dunno... perhaps N.C.I.S., I'm sure the writer would get thrown off the production team because it's so poorly thought out coming from so-called 'intelligent' people! However, an interesting story line would be that the F.B.I. indeed HAD found the four-digit passcode in the terrorist's flat (most folks write them down somewhere easy to find), and used it successfully to get the info they wanted... before asking the local government office to change the passcode... then playing the 'innocent' party asking Apple for help... all along hoping to be given a 'golden key' to the future! Just sayin' ;-)
    I was curious that he FBI let the media into the terrorist's house so soon. I would listing every piece of writing in the house to give me a chance of discovering the passcode. I would keep the media out until I was satisfied nothing was left undiscovered. I can not believe that the FBI did not understand the encryption on iPhone and Android phones. How did the Wife get into the United States? Who let her in?
    baconstang
  • Reply 43 of 71
    Urei1620Urei1620 Posts: 88member
    She's not stupid folks, she's evil and corrupt. Just like Eric Holder. The Obama DOJ is one of the dirtiest organizations around.  

Elect a Chicago politician, get Chicago politics. 
    Chicago: gangs, mafia, killer cops, and corrupt politicians. Did I miss anything else?
    edited March 2016 nouser
  • Reply 44 of 71
    I think the FBI, DOJ, and Obama's regime underestimated Apple and the intelligence of the American people. The government may be buying their own lies, but we're not.
    nouserjony0
  • Reply 45 of 71
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    What is it with this president and the hiring of incompetent AG's?
    nouser
  • Reply 46 of 71
    mytdavemytdave Posts: 447member
    Seriously?  Are people really this stupid?  Disabling the "password blocker" (lol) essentially makes it possible for any iPhone to be cracked.  The damn inmates are running the asylum.

You young people pay attention and take note: This is the fruit of the seeds of progressivism.
    SpamSandwichnouser
  • Reply 47 of 71
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,214member
    Of interest: It's being reported that Loretta Lynch could be the nominee for the vacant SCOTUS judgeship. 
  • Reply 48 of 71
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    mytdave said:
    Seriously?  Are people really this stupid?  Disabling the "password blocker" (lol) essentially makes it possible for any iPhone to be cracked.  The damn inmates are running the asylum.

You young people pay attention and take note: This is the fruit of the seeds of progressivism.
    If by password blocker you mean the 10 missed passcode limit before deleting then no, that doesn't mean they could brute force attack the phone. They also would need to disable the time period between passcode entry limitation. This is just as important a security measure if not more. I don't have the 10 missed passcode setting turned on but by the ninth attempt it takes an hour if waiting time before you can enter the next passcode. Attempting to break into a 6 digit passcoded iPhone would take a real long time because of this. This change is also what the FBI wants apple to remove. 
  • Reply 49 of 71
    iSRSiSRS Posts: 49member
    Each time someone from any branch of the government gets on camera to discuss this lately, they (1) prove Apple's point, and (2) demonstrate they are not speaking after learning all the facts.

Case in point. "Just treat this as they would any other customer request"

Ok, as a long time Apple customer, let us walk through this.

I have this encryption option turned on

I forget my passcode

I try 9 times

I know the next time I try, I will have a bricked/wiped iPhone

I go to the Apple Store.

They say, "well, we might be able to get you your data back from an iCloud backup (which they've done in this case). The last one I see if from 3 months ago" 

My reply, "But you're Apple. The AG told me I should come to you. That you would do everything for me"

Apple, "We are. This is the best we can offer you. We do not possess a way to get into this phone and disable the feature"

Thanks AG Lynch. You're right. They should treat this as the would any other customer. And since they can prove that is exactly what they did? Case closed.
    baconstangnouser
  • Reply 50 of 71
    christophbchristophb Posts: 1,482member
    Urei1620 said:
    She's not stupid folks, she's evil and corrupt. Just like Eric Holder. The Obama DOJ is one of the dirtiest organizations around.  

Elect a Chicago politician, get Chicago politics. 
    Chicago: gangs, mafia, killer cops, and corrupt politicians. Did I miss anything else?
    Stats force me to disagree with the killer cops part

http://heyjackass.com

One police involved shooting in 206 so far.
    baconstang
  • Reply 51 of 71
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Lynch is not very bright or is a baldface liar. 
    I think we found Trump's pick for Vice President.

Someone please check if she's Mexican, gay, Muslim, black, a woman, sweats a lot, or is in any other group that should be deported.
    She was our dear leader Obama's pick.
  • Reply 52 of 71
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    gatorguy said:
    Of interest: It's being reported that Loretta Lynch could be the nominee for the vacant SCOTUS judgeship. 
    Dat Obama.
  • Reply 53 of 71
    freerangefreerange Posts: 1,597member
    They are playing to the stupidly of a large portion of our population. Unfortunately there is an ongoing dumbing down of this country. 

As to Lynch, it is in fact providing a way for you idiots to break into phones. So stop the bullshit...you're trying to use semantics to justify your position! By Apple doing what you ask, they in effect are breaking into the phone because they gave you the tools to do so. It's called being an "accomplice" in you legal vernacular you twit, which in legal terms would make them guilty of the crime.
    baconstangnouser
  • Reply 54 of 71
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    1.) Apple could break into this phone. After all they are Apple.

2.) Apple doesn't want to break into the phone. 

3.) Breaking in sets precedent for future demands from FBI, Police, China, Russia, etc.

4.) Breaking in tarnishes Apples brand with customers.

5.) Creating a compromised version of iOS, no matter how locked up, will invite hackers to try to steal it.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 55 of 71
    This is a woman that doesn't have the common sense or knowledge to hold the kind of job position she has.
    nouser
  • Reply 56 of 71
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    iSRS said:
    Each time someone from any branch of the government gets on camera to discuss this lately, they (1) prove Apple's point, and (2) demonstrate they are not speaking after learning all the facts.

Case in point. "Just treat this as they would any other customer request"

Ok, as a long time Apple customer, let us walk through this.

I have this encryption option turned on

I forget my passcode

I try 9 times

I know the next time I try, I will have a bricked/wiped iPhone

I go to the Apple Store.

They say, "well, we might be able to get you your data back from an iCloud backup (which they've done in this case). The last one I see if from 3 months ago" 

My reply, "But you're Apple. The AG told me I should come to you. That you would do everything for me"

Apple, "We are. This is the best we can offer you. We do not possess a way to get into this phone and disable the feature"

Thanks AG Lynch. You're right. They should treat this as the would any other customer. And since they can prove that is exactly what they did? Case closed.
    True story...my friends daughter was in the EXACT position.  Went to Apple store and only option was to enter PIN the 10th time, wipe device, and start over.  She did not have any backup so really lost out.

There you have it.  No PIN, no help from Apple store for their customers as even they can not get past the security, as it should be.  Just make sure you keep backups...hehe
    baconstangnouser
  • Reply 57 of 71
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,926member
    Lynch: we don't want Apple to break into the phone, we want them to hack its own software. 
    nouser
  • Reply 58 of 71
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    So basically, what Lynch is saying is just like saying "we aren't asking you to break into the safe, we just want the money from it."
    nouser
  • Reply 59 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    msantti said:
    Keeping peoples data safe and secure is good.

Just remember it keeps terrorist's data safe and secure also.
    "The Terrorists" solved that one with a sledgehammer. This work phone they left alone? Useless.
    nouser
  • Reply 60 of 71
    jfc1138jfc1138 Posts: 3,090member
    ration al said:
    The single most important event in Tuesday's Judicial Committee hearing was when Comey admitted that this order to weaken iPhone security will not prevent terrorists and criminals from using encrypted communications.

So this means the actions of the FBI and DoJ will gain them nothing in the long run, while vastly increasing the chances of putting the data security and personal safety of tens of millions of americans (and hundreds of millions of others around the world) in jeopardy.

Does this seem stupid to you too?
    Plus it won't even allow data retrieval in it's ultimate runout: two step validation and an alphanumeric passcode, already optional, means taking years to forever for their brute force attack concept.
    nouser