US AG Lynch says FBI not asking Apple to break into iPhone, simply disable 'password blocker'

Comments

• Reply 21 of 71
    dewmedewme Posts: 5,372member
    It's very scary to see so many high ranking US government officials demonstrate how completely clueless they are when it comes to very basic technical concepts that affect our daily lives. I suppose she'd be totally cool with leaving her house door unlocked and open for anyone to enter. Or, as others have mentioned, these people are lying through their teeth for political purposes. Again, it's the fault of the American people who elect the morons who appoint these equally moronic cronies to high level government positions. In the end you reap what you sow.
    edited March 2016 brakkenlatifbpSpamSandwichnouserbadmonk
  • Reply 22 of 71
    xixoxixo Posts: 449member
    Lynch's statement... typifies what appears to be a fundamental misunderstanding of modern encryption declared in recent days by high-ranking government players

more like misdirection 
    brakkennouserbadmonk
  • Reply 23 of 71
    mr omr o Posts: 1,046member
    This is getting tiring. Do they actually listen to Apple's explanation?

>:x
    edited March 2016 latifbpnouserbadmonk
  • Reply 24 of 71
    roakeroake Posts: 811member
    Many of the statements from the government stem from ignorance or stupidity, but many are attempts to misdirect the public; to demonize Apple and get their way with the San Bernardino iPhone backdoor.

The BS that they are spewing is obviously unlikely to fool AppleInsider readers.  However, the elderly group of voters in the USA who aren't tech savvy, the guppy-mouthed couch-potatos who live only for gossip and Judge Judy, those that cannot understand that there is little difference between, "Why should we care unless we have something illegal to hide" and the dystopian "Nineteen Eighty-Four" world painted by Orwell... all of these people are who the FBI and others are targeting.

Politicians blow with the breeze; if the voting public supports Apple, the FBI will get more resistance from those that could force Apple to create a backdoor.  If the FBI and other can convince the voters to become an Apple lynch-mob, though, those same politicians will much more likely push Apple to do the wrong thing here.
    nouserrob53pscooter63badmonkkevin keephotography guy
  • Reply 25 of 71
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    foggyhill said:
    What the hell is she even talking about?
    She thinks we are morons.

We ARE morons. After all we are going to elect either Donald or Hillary as POTUS. We get what we deserve.
    latifbp
  • Reply 26 of 71
    I never thought I'd say this about a cabinet-level appointee, but this lady is an idiot.

lkrupp is right:  We get precisely what we deserve.
    latifbpbadmonk
  • Reply 27 of 71
    jmc54jmc54 Posts: 207member
    Lynch is not very bright or is a baldface liar. 
    Check out this interview full of non answers!   https://www.ijreview.com/2016/03/549675-bret-baier-loretta-lynch-hillary-emails/
  • Reply 28 of 71
    Urei1620Urei1620 Posts: 88member
    More stupidity from Loretta Lynch. The 10 tries and delete data feature is the feature I want on a phone. It basically prevents side attacks, like those from the FBI, but they are intended to stop your regular phone thieves. The FBI needs to get more creative and figure out ways around this. I hope, with the billions of dollars they get in funding, which normal hackers do not have. If they can't do it, then hire someone else like Carnegie Mellon. I am sure there will be a graduate student that can figure this out in 2 weeks.

And it is not only about removing the 10 tries and delete feature, but the FBI had a laundry list of features they wanted implemented, all which has been presented in court documents. You can't believe anything these people say.

edited March 2016
  • Reply 29 of 71
    MBMB Posts: 2member
    It's like saying we don't wont to break into your house, we just want you to unlock all doors while we are coming in to rob you... nothing wrong with that right? We should have the right to force you to do so! Well, maybe there are terrorist hidding in your house... you never know...
    SpamSandwichkevin kee
  • Reply 30 of 71
    MBMB Posts: 2member
    It's like saying we don't wont to break into your house, we just want you to unlock all doors while we are coming in to rob you... nothing wrong with that right? We should have the right to force you to do so! Well, maybe there are terrorist hidding in your house... you never know...
  • Reply 31 of 71
    She's not stupid folks, she's evil and corrupt. Just like Eric Holder. The Obama DOJ is one of the dirtiest organizations around.  

Elect a Chicago politician, get Chicago politics. 
    SpamSandwichmacseeker
  • Reply 32 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    chaicka said:
    Interesting... Now the whole world knows what kind of leadership is leading US.
    The US has elected Bush, twice, and Bush is the one who nominated the FBI guy who instigated this, so I think they knew already a long time ago.
  • Reply 33 of 71
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Gorecki said:
    "We dont want the key to your house. We just want you to keep the door open."
    No, they remove the hinges but keep the door it closed, to give you the illusion of security ;-).
  • Reply 34 of 71
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,035member

As for a possible solution to the dilemma at hand, Lynch suggests Apple treat the case like it would a normal customer service call. Again, this is technically sound theory considering the San Bernardino County Department of Public Health, Farook's former employer, owns the iPhone in question.

"I think in this case it's really important to note that the customer -- the actual customer of the phone that's an issue in the instant case -- is the one that's requested Apple's help," Lynch said. "So one way to simply resolve this is for Apple to work with its own customer and work out a way to resolve this issue."
    Customer: I need you to hack my phone because I don't know my employee's passcode.
    Apple: Sorry we can't do that. Do a restore on your phone then reload from a backup.
    Customer: But I can't access a recent enough backup to be useful.
    Apple: There's nothing else we can do for you then.
    </case closed>
  • Reply 35 of 71
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Lynch is not very bright or is a baldface liar. 
    But she is a liberal nominated by Obama!
  • Reply 36 of 71
    msanttimsantti Posts: 1,377member
    Keeping peoples data safe and secure is good.

Just remember it keeps terrorist's data safe and secure also.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 37 of 71
    Don't you think that this is just plain sad? It's sad that she is offering a federal position/opinion on something she is unable to understand, sad that the world has to watch this, and sad that her boss sits idle and let's the whole thing unravel. Does he realize that his iPhone will also be at risk to hackers? 

This is a perfect example of the dumbing down of America. 
  • Reply 38 of 71
    ceek74ceek74 Posts: 324member
    Harvard should seriously consider handing her diploma back to her along with a full refund plus interest.  I know I'd be embarrassed if I let her graduate my institution.
    badmonk
  • Reply 39 of 71
    TIL: U.S. Attorney General Loretta Lynch is clueless when it come to technology. She can step down now.
    badmonk
  • Reply 40 of 71
    gunner1954gunner1954 Posts: 142member
    If the FBI is low on manpower, can they conscript citizens to perform the duties of FBI agents? No. So why should they be able to effectively conscript Apple for their software lab and compel them to write a new version of the operating system? There's a difference between cooperation with law enforcement and becoming a de facto extension of law enforcement by creating new products for them through a court order.
    In addition, should Apple lose and become an extension of law enforcement (and possibly the NSA, CIA and other alphabet agencies using warrants to get what they want), it is possible that Apple could then be considered an agent of a foreign power by countries less than friendly to the United States, putting Apple between bigger rocks.