Obama's 'tone deaf' comments on encryption draw criticism at SXSW

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Issa the crook? Well, then the president must be doing something right.
    That's a laugh.
    icoco3ewtheckmantdknox
  • Reply 22 of 47
    chasmchasm Posts: 3,304member
    Unless I misinterpreted his remarks, what Obama *actually* said was that taking "absolutist" positions will come back to bite either side when the day comes where something much more life-and-death (as opposed to this current frivolous case) comes along -- he said that *public opinion* and congressional action on this issue would shift significantly if that happened. In that, he is correct. The White House has, in my view, taken the wrong side in this debate, but he's correct in that people who are pro-encryption are having a tough time selling this to Ma and Pa Mainstream even in the ridiculously weak example case we have before us (re: San Bernardino), never mind the day when we think someone has nuke codes or the FBI claims that the iPhone is the only way to save some kidnapped sick child or some such. As Edward Snowden (and likewise Professor Landau at the congressional hearing) said, the FBI needs to stop relying on decryption as a crutch and engage in finding their own methods to exploit flaws that currently exist. Pengu did it, and the FBI could not? A sad comment on the competence of that agency these days.
    baconstangzoetmbjony0tdknox
  • Reply 23 of 47
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Darrell Issa should also be informed that:

1. The TSA master key that opens up every TSA lock that protect your luggage can now be printed out by anyone with a 3d printer since the instructions for doing so are in public. So your TSA locks no longer protect you from any thief since any thief can easily make their own copy of the key.  No wonder airport employees steal your belongings from your baggage.  They have the master key.  Now anyone can have the key.

2. As noted on some online articles, the master key to every New York City elevator is for sale on eBay and states outside of New York.  It may be illegal to carry with you in New York.  But what thief who wants access to every floor in every apartment, hotel, or building in New York wouldn't want to buy one for a few bucks in New Jersey or on eBay?  Every building with an elevator in New York is now accessible to thieves and other crooks - including terrorists.

3. The lawmakers and police applauded Apple for locking up the iPhone with security.  This stopped many iPhone users from being assaulted or killed by thieves who wanted their iPhones.  This reduced the rate of crime significantly in big cities like New York.  But now, if Apple is forced to create a back door to iOS, this will immediately be accessible to thieves.  And the rate of assaults on iPhone users will once again go up.  Obviously, since Android users have no security, they are already the targets of assaults and theft. 

So much for keeping the backdoor private.  So much for the idea of keeping the public safe.

Backdoors completely blow open any idea of safety or privacy and make you more easily victimized.

Didn't know about 1) and 2); excellent points.
    ration altdknox
  • Reply 24 of 47
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 1,107member
    Issa the crook? Well, then the president must be doing something right.
    Yeah, I know.  I can't believe I'm actually agreeing with that guy.
  • Reply 25 of 47
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    Darryl is right. Obama is tone deaf on this issue. Good grief!
    SpamSandwichanantksundaram
  • Reply 26 of 47
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    While I may disagree with Obama's position, he should be "tone deaf" on this and any other issue.   The article says:

"It was tone deaf," Issa reportedly said. "He did not read the room in that portion of the answer. There's just no way to create a special key for government that couldn't also be taken advantage of by the Russians, the Chinese, or others who want access to the sensitive information we all carry in our pockets everyday."
    So according to Issa, Obama should have shaped his message for the audience.   No he shouldn't have.   When you shape the message for the people in the room, that's called pandering.   We hate when politicians do that because it's essentially a lie.   Obama told the truth probably knowing that the audience would disagree.   That's what he should do.  

I suspect that Obama actually believes in encryption but can't risk alienating the entire security apparatus and he also probably doesn't want to make it an issue that the Republican presidential candidates can use - that "Democrats are weak on security and willing to let terrorists communicate freely."
  • Reply 27 of 47
    adonissmuadonissmu Posts: 1,776member
    williamh said:
    "Congress and the people of the USA are right when they agree with him."

The "people of the USA" do not agree with him.
    Judging by the rest of the message, I dare say that Roake meant that Obama considers that Congress and the people are right when they agree with him.  (And they're wrong when they don't.)  It's hard to know what "the people" think of this.  I do believe that Obama's supporters trust him so much that they'll agree with him no matter what it is.
    I'm an Obama supporter and I thoroughly disagree with him on this. 
  • Reply 28 of 47
    CMA102DLCMA102DL Posts: 121member
    Our only safety net for data protection is encryption and it has to be unbreakable, no middle ground, otherwise, it would be better not to have it at all. It is worse to have a false sense of security, which can be exploited by governments and hackers.

I think the discussion about "balance" needs to be between the benefits and disadvantages of unbreakable encryption. The benefit of unbreakable encryption is that it provides protection for millions of low abiding Americans and allows the internet to thrive. On the negative, it also allows criminals to keep their communication private and in some cases, they could get away with crimes. But on balance, America benefits more from having unbreakable encryption than not. I think America needs to make a decision on this. It should not be left to few individuals like Obama or Comey.

I think Congressman Issa would be great as Chief of the FBI.

edited March 2016 ewtheckmanration al
  • Reply 29 of 47
    postmanpostman Posts: 35member

If law enforcement could protect the public from identity theft and getting data stolen – personal and public data– then end-to-end encryption would not be necessary. But they can't. So it is.

In other words, we have to protect our highly personal private data ourselves, because the gov't cannot do it for us.

The FBI and DoJ treating Apple like a criminal – by not notifying Tim Cook in advance of filing court orders, then running a massive PR effort on talk shows and in the Press vilifying Apple and besmirching their reputation is, ironically, a perfect example of why the public cannot trust government.

The argument for breaking the public's private encryption is that it makes it too inconvenient for law enforcement?

This argument is akin to law enforcement having to accept the inconvenience of pesky little barriers like Habeas corpus, reading Miranda rights, getting a warrant first, and not having unfettered stop and frisk "without cause"?

The awful truth is, most law enforcement agencies do not prevent crime. They investigate crime AFTER the fact. The FBI's agenda here is essentially to make their investigations easier so they can prosecute criminals. It's always been hard. But just like the concept of 'innocent until proven guilty', the right to privacy and the right to self-defense are inherent 'absolute' rights.

These laws have been inconvenient truths for law enforcement – but somehow they do their jobs anyway, don't they?

edited March 2016 ration al
  • Reply 30 of 47
    zoetmb said:
    While I may disagree with Obama's position, he should be "tone deaf" on this and any other issue.   The article says:

"It was tone deaf," Issa reportedly said. "He did not read the room in that portion of the answer. There's just no way to create a special key for government that couldn't also be taken advantage of by the Russians, the Chinese, or others who want access to the sensitive information we all carry in our pockets everyday."
    So according to Issa, Obama should have shaped his message for the audience.   No he shouldn't have.   When you shape the message for the people in the room, that's called pandering.   We hate when politicians do that because it's essentially a lie.   Obama told the truth probably knowing that the audience would disagree.   That's what he should do.  

I suspect that Obama actually believes in encryption but can't risk alienating the entire security apparatus and he also probably doesn't want to make it an issue that the Republican presidential candidates can use - that "Democrats are weak on security and willing to let terrorists communicate freely."
    Obama thinks he can "split the difference" and come to a political compromise. There is no compromise possible when math is involved. It's either secure encryption or it isn't.
    anantksundaramewtheckmanration altdknox
  • Reply 31 of 47
    I want to expand on an issue that chasm discussed in his comments above.  

I have supported Apple’s stance on this issue from the very beginning, and I continue to support Apple.  My support is based on the idea that we should never be comfortable with the government’s routine intrusion into our private lives, and on more pragmatic business-related concerns of setting such a precedent. We have to fight such requests in order to find the right solution.                

But now the comments from some folks are beginning to worry me.  I’m worried because I’m seeing arguments that are based on the notion that an absolutist position is justified in this situation.  Extreme positions bother me because the background influence of our passions, biases, and self-interest means that we humans aren’t as smart as we think we are.  So I think it’s a good idea to question this notion that an absolutist position is justified. 

Access to encrypted data is unlike most other issues that involve the intersection between our rights as individuals and the government’s desire to be intrusive.  With most issues of this type there’s usually an option to change our attitude, reverse our policies, or modify our laws based on experience over time.  But no legislation can give us access to information that’s protected by strong encryption and certain password handling procedures. What if that situation occurred in the setting of something that absolutists believe is impossible? What if that situation occurred in a situation that has noting in common with issues like crime or terrorism?  What if we’re completely unable to gain access to information regarding an existential threat?

Terrorism is unlikely to be an existential threat in the near future.  The loss of several thousand lives is tragic, but it’s obviously not a threat to our very existence as a complex society.  So I think that preserving our right to privacy is so fundamental that it may be an acceptable trade-off if thousands of people lose their lives in a terrorist attack, and preventing the attack wasn’t possible because of the inability to gain access to to encrypted data

In contrast, the loss of hundreds of millions of lives and catastrophic infrastructure damage doesn’t seem to be an acceptable outcome to protect the rights of any individual or group. 

From a big picture perspective, the terrorism scenario is close to an extreme because it isn’t a convincing reason for the government to trample over our right to privacy.  However, it is far more likely than the other extreme scenario of an existential threat (unrelated to criminal or terrorist activity) that causes massive devastation.  Most people would consider protection from such a scenario to be a justification for a privacy intrusion by the government, but  I’m not suggesting that we will ever have to face such a scenario.  My point in setting those 2 extremes is that reasonable people should be able to see that the cut-off point for what is acceptable intrusion by a government may involve threats somewhere on that spectrum, and has to be based on a variety of factors. The challenge is that absolutism about data encryption today limits the option to consider those factors in the future, if being locked out of a data source renders discussion entirely useless. 

It’s clear that most of us, myself included, are highly suspicious of the motivations of our government.  But is the human activity of government inherently abusive or evil?  The well-documented examples of wide-spread corruption and the abuse of power by units of governments (including our own NSA) or individuals within a government are manifestations of human nature.  That’s obviously why we need checks on the power of the government.  But let’s not forget that one of the most important roles of a government is to protect us from each other and from threats that no individual or group can resist.

An absolutist position that restricts the government means that we will prevent both governmental abuse of citizens and the ability of the government to protect us from a wide range of threats.  So unless we use our brains to restrain our natural tendencies we will probably fail to see the unintended but harmful consequences of insisting on binary options for solving societal problems of this unique type. 

Do I take an absolutist position about what I wrote? No I don’t. This is my perspective based on what I know or believe as of right now.  I’m willing to alter my opinion in the face of logical arguments and/or supporting data.  All I’m saying is that we should take Tim Cook’s lead and make this type of government intrusion very difficult, but not impossible. That means being willing to set aside our impulse to consider our privacy to be so precious that nothing else is worth considering. We should think about all meanings of the words “safety” and “security”.

• Reply 32 of 47
    CMA102DL said:
    Our only safety net for data protection is encryption and it has to be unbreakable, no middle ground, otherwise, it would be better not to have it at all. It is worse to have a false sense of security, which can be exploited by governments and hackers.

I think the discussion about "balance" needs to be between the benefits and disadvantages of unbreakable encryption. The benefit of unbreakable encryption is that it provides protection for millions of low abiding Americans and allows the internet to thrive. On the negative, it also allows criminals to keep their communication private and in some cases, they could get away with crimes. But on balance, America benefits more from having unbreakable encryption than not. I think America needs to make a decision on this. It should not be left to few individuals like Obama or Comey.

I think Congressman Issa would be great as Chief of the FBI.

I think whomever fills the position of head of the FBI looks at the issue from that position, rather than viewing things from the point of view of a constitutionalist. Once a culture is established in an organization or business it's pretty much locked until there is a top-to-bottom rout and restructuring of its core mission.
  • Reply 33 of 47
    komokomo Posts: 25member
    komo said:
    I Believe the president is OK but, not on this issue. The FBI should do their job as they did before computers came in the making.
    Can you trust the government Snowden couldn't
  • Reply 34 of 47
    komo said:
    komo said:
    I Believe the president is OK but, not on this issue. The FBI should do their job as they did before computers came in the making.
    Can you trust the government Snowden couldn't
    Always check with the Constitution and history. In other words, if you do trust, trust, but verify.

Governments will always use emotions to get you to do things, but we must use our brains.
    edited March 2016 ration al
  • Reply 35 of 47
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    SpamSandwich said:

There is no compromise possible when math is involved. It's either secure encryption or it isn't.
    It is not the encryption that is preventing the FBI from getting at the data, it is the auto wipe feature which doesn't involve encryption at all. Encryption keys vary in strength. The larger the key size the stronger it is. All encryption can be broken by brute force...eventually. There are also various types of encryption such as AES, RSA and different algorithms such as Elliptic Curve and Symmetrical which offer varying degrees of protection. I believe Apple uses 256 AES on iOS, which is on the strong side but certainly not absolute.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 36 of 47
    volcan said:
    SpamSandwich said:

There is no compromise possible when math is involved. It's either secure encryption or it isn't.
    It is not the encryption that is preventing the FBI from getting at the data, it is the auto wipe feature which doesn't involve encryption at all. Encryption keys vary in strength. The large the key size the stronger it is. All encryption can be broken by brute force...eventually. There are also various types of encryption such as AES, RSA and different algorithms such as Elliptic Curve and Symmetrical which offer varying degrees of protection. I believe Apple uses 256 AES on iOS, which on the strong but certainly not absolute.
    I consider the 10 and delete and time delays between tries as part of the data protection scheme, which equal in relevance to encryption. Encryption protects the data itself, but the 10 and delete and time delays makes it more difficult to attack the encryption layer in the first place for the regular joe. The US Govt needs to figure ways around it and should be able to. But it is easier for them to use the courts to pressure Apple and set a precedence. The FBI is totally useless. Once they succeed at coercing Apple to remove the 10 and time delays, it will move on to the encryption itself and there is no stopping. This is a very steep slippery slope.
    edited March 2016 ration altdknox
  • Reply 37 of 47
    zoetmbzoetmb Posts: 2,654member
    Darrell Issa should also be informed that:

1. The TSA master key that opens up every TSA lock that protect your luggage can now be printed out by anyone with a 3d printer since the instructions for doing so are in public. So your TSA locks no longer protect you from any thief since any thief can easily make their own copy of the key.  No wonder airport employees steal your belongings from your baggage.  They have the master key.  Now anyone can have the key.

2. As noted on some online articles, the master key to every New York City elevator is for sale on eBay and states outside of New York.  It may be illegal to carry with you in New York.  But what thief who wants access to every floor in every apartment, hotel, or building in New York wouldn't want to buy one for a few bucks in New Jersey or on eBay?  Every building with an elevator in New York is now accessible to thieves and other crooks - including terrorists.

3. The lawmakers and police applauded Apple for locking up the iPhone with security.  This stopped many iPhone users from being assaulted or killed by thieves who wanted their iPhones.  This reduced the rate of crime significantly in big cities like New York.  But now, if Apple is forced to create a back door to iOS, this will immediately be accessible to thieves.  And the rate of assaults on iPhone users will once again go up.  Obviously, since Android users have no security, they are already the targets of assaults and theft. 

So much for keeping the backdoor private.  So much for the idea of keeping the public safe.

Backdoors completely blow open any idea of safety or privacy and make you more easily victimized.

While I agree with the general thrust of your argument, in general, you don't need a key to operate NYC elevators.   Certain floors of some hotels may require a key for access and sometimes a special suite or the penthouse of an office or apartment building, but in general, you just walk in and press a button.   What a key would permit one to do is to shut the elevator off or override someone calling for the elevator.   The keys are used by the fire department during emergencies so they can quickly get to any floor.  They're also used during elevator inspections.    And in any building that does require a key to operate the elevator, they're also highly likely to have security people and security cameras. 

TSA employees don't steal items from luggage because the master keys are public.   They steal items from your luggage because they already have the master keys.   Actually, the bigger problem is that they frequently don't use the master keys and instead just cut the lock off.   There are thousands of complaints that you can find online from people who use TSA locks and find them gone after the luggage is inspected.   The TSA employees stealing items from luggage would be more akin to an FBI employee who has backdoor access to one's phone if they have the phone, using that access to steal your credit card information that you might have in a note or spreadsheet.  
  • Reply 38 of 47
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    williamh said:
    "Congress and the people of the USA are right when they agree with him."

The "people of the USA" do not agree with him.
    Judging by the rest of the message, I dare say that Roake meant that Obama considers that Congress and the people are right when they agree with him.  (And they're wrong when they don't.)  It's hard to know what "the people" think of this.  I do believe that Obama's supporters trust him so much that they'll agree with him no matter what it is.
    Huh! No, I support Obama on most of his agenda, but there are quite a few sticking points. In fact the dems have had a long history of infighting on policy. That's one of the main thing that kept them out of power for most of 24 years (1968-1992).  The GOP up to recently had a tendency to be of one mind on most issues.

The democrats have a tendency to be a lot more "big tent" than the GOP; there is a lot of dissension.

• Reply 39 of 47
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    foggyhill said:

The GOP up to recently had a tendency to be of one mind on most issues.
    One brainwashed mindset. You can't be a card carrying Republican unless you confess your unwavering support for their sacred cows, no abortion, prayer in school, no gun laws, no unions, no healthcare, more military, more war, cut taxes on wealthy and corporations, privatize education and social security, deregulation of the EPA, remove financial regulations and climate change deniers. Trump is philosophically not that different from the rest of the GOP, he just verbalizes it with brutal arrogance whereas the others are at least a little more subtle.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 40 of 47
    In the US you do at least have a written Constitution.  In the UK we don't, we have what is regarded as an unwritten Constitution which gives Parliament absolute sovereignty.  It's effectively the Divine Right of Kings enshrined in an elected Parliament with no separation of powers.

The end result gives the government of the day, acting with a small Parliamentary majority the power to push legislation like the so-called 'snooper's charter'  aka the Investigatory Powers Bill.  Amongst other stuff it contains powers which could compel Apple to do what they are fighting in the US.

Read this.  It will give the UK Government powers that the FBI dream of. 

ration al