Apple's 9.7-inch 'iPad Pro' to bring flagship glory back to full-size form factor

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 48
    pmzpmz Posts: 3,433member
    davygee said:

I hope it ends up looking like this:
    12.9" iPad Pro starting at $799
    9.7" iPad Pro starting at $499
    9.7" iPad Air 2 starting at $399
    7.9" iPad Mini 4 starting at $299
    7.9" iPad Mini 2 starting at $229

It won't. That is not how Apple rolls. They view the 9.7" iPad Pro as a value-added proposition, not the new baseline for an iPad. It will start at $599 minimum.
  • Reply 42 of 48
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    arrogant hunger for profit? slowing iphone sales? armchair CEOs are so clueless....Apple makes the best products in multiple industries, which is why its customers literally line up to throw money at them. the iPhone is the most successful product in the history of mankind, earning billions and billions -- all while maintaining the highest consumer satisfaction ratings. there's no way to argue it's anything other than an overwhelming success -- even if most of the world now has exposure to it and sales may be cooling. hater nonsense. 
    The car.
  • Reply 43 of 48
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    saarek said:
    Um, no, it's not.
    You're right, I think that distinction belongs to popcorn.   Something like a 10,000% markup at cinemas isn't it?
    if anyone can cite the specific *product* SKU for that best-selling popcorn and that company's popcorn revenue, that may be true. but i doubt that -- popcorn is a product category, not a product.

perhaps an argument could be made for a *specific* consumer *product*, but i dont know what that would be -- coke? happy to review the sales data for a single other product that you dig up.

at the very least, two things cannot be refuted -- iPhone is at least the most successful CE product of all time, and apple is the most successful publicly traded company (with far more cash in the bank than coca cola). both of these things are true, despite the clueless rambling, wishing, and bemoanings from our resident armchair CEOs who delight us with their expertise opinion on this forum, as they decry the mistakes made by apple. which concedes my point -- either our armchair CEOs are correct and apple is making major mistakes (not true, based on said success), or....the armchair CEOs are, in fact, clueless. which is why theyre posting anonymously on a rumors site, and the actual apple execs are earning it billions and billions of profit each quarter.
    edited March 2016 waverboy
  • Reply 44 of 48
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    cnocbui said:
    arrogant hunger for profit? slowing iphone sales? armchair CEOs are so clueless....Apple makes the best products in multiple industries, which is why its customers literally line up to throw money at them. the iPhone is the most successful product in the history of mankind, earning billions and billions -- all while maintaining the highest consumer satisfaction ratings. there's no way to argue it's anything other than an overwhelming success -- even if most of the world now has exposure to it and sales may be cooling. hater nonsense. 
    The car.
    which one? you've clearly cited an entire product category, not a product.
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 45 of 48
    pmz said:
    You guys are delusional about the iPad. 

The overwhelming majority of consumers do not care about Smart Keyboard or Apple Pencil or other so called Pro features. 
    Just like the iPad Pro 12" that garnered maybe a couple million sales from a niche of the tablet market, this 9.7" Pro model will scoop up a handful of holdouts that didn't want a 12" size or couldn't afford the price tag. It will also scoop up a handful of iPad Air 2 upgraders who have had their product for 1.5 years now. 

I love MY iPad Pro, but I represent a tiny tiny subset of the market. 

What if Apple were to include the Apple Pencil with every new iPad 9.7" and iPad Pro ... And include handwriting recognition in the process?

Also, it wouldn't hurt to include capabilities in iOS and OSX (maybe Win and Linux too?) to use these iPads as connected I/O devices ala Wacom Tablets -- to interface Pro apps (Autocad, Photoshop, FCP, Premire, SketchUp ... for Audio, Medical, Musicans, Artists, Designers, Educators, Presenters, etc.).

Then, encourage the above vendors to offer robust standalone iPad versions of these apps for use when no Internet connection is available.

edited March 2016
  • Reply 46 of 48
    bb-15bb-15 Posts: 283member
    pmz said:
    davygee said:

It won't. That is not how Apple rolls. They view the 9.7" iPad Pro as a value-added proposition, not the new baseline for an iPad. It will start at $599 minimum.
    Of course several of us are aware of how the MacBook Air has stagnated and that the new MacBook 12 inch (with the retina screen upgrade) is more expensive then the 11.6 inch MacBook Air. We understand that Apple often wants to charge more for new versions of similar products. * It is just that some of us were hoping that the iPad Air 2 replacement/update, the 9.7 inch iPad Pro, would be at the same price. Wishful thinking? Probably. But some of us can dream.
    edited March 2016 davygee
  • Reply 47 of 48
    davygeedavygee Posts: 65member
    pmz said:
    davygee said:

Problem is....if they keep iPad Air 2 at same price and bring in a more expensive 9.7" iPad, it's not going to get sales going.  I fully expect them to bring it in at $599 or even higher, but just think thats the wrong way to go.  I'm all for breathing new life into the iPad lineup, but you need to keep your same pricepoints for similar products.  Consumers will look at this new 9.7" Pro as the successor to the Air 2 and then look at the price?????