2016 13" MBP quadcore processor

Posted:
in Future Apple Hardware
I was wondering, do you guys think that the new 2016 13" MacBook Pro will have a quadcore processor?

I would love that tho! I think that the 2015 15" Mbp is too big and heavy to be portable and the 2015 13" Mbp is not fast enough for editing cause of the lag of a dedicated gpu, it would be awesome to have a more portable machine to take with you and with the capability to edit my videos!

Comments

• Reply 1 of 9
    Jmb24Jmb24 Posts: 5member
    Obviously I mean cpu not gpu. 
  • Reply 2 of 9
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,322member
    Wouldn't a dedicated GPU drive your workload better?
    if Apple have thermal envelope and battery life to work with I would think giving all the pros dedicated GPUs would have the bigger performance gain across the widest range of professional workloads.  
  • Reply 3 of 9
    Would love that as well! The question only remains if it would be likely that they will give us the option to do so? or would they rather keep this as an option for their 15" model...
    edited March 2016
  • Reply 4 of 9
    winterwinter Posts: 1,238member
    I wouldn't count on it. Look for the i5-6267U with Iris 550 graphics. And this is what you'd hope for. They could even go for the i5-6260U with Iris 540 graphics. There isn't that much difference between the two. The latter is a 15 W part and the former is a 28 W part but the 28 W part could provide (I think) Turbo Boost on graphics. The 15" is likely to have what the upcoming quad-core Intel NUC will have i7-6770HQ with Iris Pro 580 and who knows what dedicated for the other $2,299 or $2,499 model.
  • Reply 5 of 9
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    One thing you need to realize is that Apple has pushed Intel hard to improve GPU performance in its processors at the expense of CPU improvements.   For most users this is exactly what they have needed.    To go further Intel will need a process shrink to go four CPU cores and maintain the power profile used in the 13" MBP.   

So so unless im missing something it will likely be another year or more before we see quad core in the 13" MBP.   

• Reply 6 of 9
    Nice to hear your opinions on this. The reason why i wondered was because i'm going to buy a new mbp but i'm not sure the 2015 13" will be the model for me. 
    I'm not in a rush so i can wait till the new ones come out, hopefully around june but I am hoping for a big performance upgrade tho.. If they're going quad i'll def. buy one but i guess that's unlickely so if it will be just a small performance upgrade i might consider the 2015 model cause the price for a new 2016 13" might not be worth it.
  • Reply 7 of 9
    Jmb24 said:
    Nice to hear your opinions on this. The reason why i wondered was because i'm going to buy a new mbp but i'm not sure the 2015 13" will be the model for me. 
    I'm not in a rush so i can wait till the new ones come out, hopefully around june but I am hoping for a big performance upgrade tho.. If they're going quad i'll def. buy one but i guess that's unlickely so if it will be just a small performance upgrade i might consider the 2015 model cause the price for a new 2016 13" might not be worth it.
    I can't say if the MBP 13" will be for you, at this point though I wouldn't buy unless I had too.   The reason is simple updates should be coming shortly.   I would think with in a couple of months.   At that point all speculation about what will be in the new machine will be dead.   

As as for the performance upgrade it will be for the most part incremental with a bigger portion of the improvements going to the GPU.   At least I haven't seen rumors of a processor to do anything more than that.   Generally the proves on "new" models are most worth it at the time the machine debuts.   With Apple it is easy to pay new prices for year old hardware.    Of course with Intel stretching out process shrinks we might not see solid upgrades every other year anymore.   

In in any event the best way to avoid disappointment this close to potential refreshes is wait until those refreshes  actually happen.   Pretty straight forward if you ask me.  
  • Reply 8 of 9
    wizard69 said:
    Jmb24 said:
    I can't say if the MBP 13" will be for you, at this point though I wouldn't buy unless I had too.   The reason is simple updates should be coming shortly.   I would think with in a couple of months.   At that point all speculation about what will be in the new machine will be dead.   

As as for the performance upgrade it will be for the most part incremental with a bigger portion of the improvements going to the GPU.   At least I haven't seen rumors of a processor to do anything more than that.   Generally the proves on "new" models are most worth it at the time the machine debuts.   With Apple it is easy to pay new prices for year old hardware.    Of course with Intel stretching out process shrinks we might not see solid upgrades every other year anymore.   

In in any event the best way to avoid disappointment this close to potential refreshes is wait until those refreshes  actually happen.   Pretty straight forward if you ask me.  
    Sorry for my late response. You are absolutely right. I will def. wait for the new line up. Like i said before i'm not in a hurry and i def. wanna see what they have to offer in, hopefully, june. So let's wait and see what they'll bring us :) 
  • Reply 9 of 9
    Jmb24 said:
    wizard69 said:

Sorry for my late response. You are absolutely right. I will def. wait for the new line up. Like i said before i'm not in a hurry and i def. wanna see what they have to offer in, hopefully, june. So let's wait and see what they'll bring us :) 
    Yep the smart thing to do!    If these are indeed SkyLake based machines we should see significant improvements and lots of new technologies.    This is a good thing and would make for a long lasting machine.