Pinky torture: Why the iPhone SE is a one-handed wonder, and the iPhone 6s is not

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,404member
    I wish Apple would go back to the on/off button on top for its phones, at least the 6/6s.... I still have not got used to it, in over one and half years. (And, to the one-handers, your forefinger will comfortably reach the top right of the 6/6s; don't know about the 6+/6s+ though). 
  • Reply 22 of 56
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    I use two hands to work the phone. Not interested in dropping it. I have the iPhone 5s and will upgrade to newer when the 7 comes out. The only use the iPhone has for me in the car is to hear music. People still ignore text and drive laws, even when it kills people in their community. The human species is a collective, ``Won't happen to me'' kind of stupid.
  • Reply 23 of 56
    apple ][apple ][ Posts: 9,233member
    At the end of the day, I think that it just comes down to personal preference.

Arguing about which phone size is best is like arguing over which shoe size is best. Buy whichever one that suits you and fits you.

I also don't think that physical attributes have that much to do with phone size preference.

I'm a pretty tall guy, and my hands (and other hardware) are definitely not small, but I do prefer smaller phones.

I also notice that a lot of people that I see with huge phablet phones are often tiny people, smaller than average. Perhaps they are trying to compensate for something?
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 24 of 56
    I've always used my iPhone with my pinky. The other way makes it too hard for me to reach the buttons. I can't use the agree phones with my pinky, which feels unnatural, so I'm stuck on four inch. I wasn't aware that people other than my dad preferred to use their phones without their pinkies underneath. I always thought it was more comfortable and easier to reach the home button one-handed. When holding it the other way without my pinky, I can't touch the home-button without using my other hand. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Reply 25 of 56
    sog35 said:
    Could someone please educate me:

Why the HELL would you uses 1 hand to use an iPhone?  (my apologies to people with only one hand)
    HAND-GATE. 
    brakken
  • Reply 26 of 56
    jcs2305 said:
    fallenjt said:
    The only reason you need to use one hand is to enter texts while you drive!
    I was thinking the same. I feel the only reason you can't use two hands is because your other hand is occupied. This is the easiest way to have a drop happen. Trying to type or pick a song or whatever when your other hand is unavailable. 
    Interesting. I almost always use my iPhone one-handed. ¯\(°_o)/¯
    brakken
  • Reply 27 of 56
    welshdogwelshdog Posts: 1,898member
    razormaid said:
    My only complaint with the 6 Plus and 6s Plus was the start button on the right instead of the top. Because now that I'm so used to it... I keep clicking there on ALL my devices only to turn up the volume instead. <Lol>. Who knew I'd grow to like that if all things?
    I have the same issue.  I do however, sometimes dislike the positioning of the right side sleep/wake button in that, if I don't have the phone gripped properly I occasionally push the volume button with my thumb when I really want to push the sleep/wake button with my index finger. The thumb is of course is placed opposite the sleep/wake button to provide the needed grip.  This usually happens when I'm in bed and reach over to do something with the phone on the nightstand.  Maybe it's just my enormous monkey hands.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    rufwork said:
    Pinky fatigue became a real thing.

I haven't seen a better archetypal example of "First World Problems" since I complained about early iPod touches' volume buttons' inaccessibility for left-handed users.

nolamacguybrakken
  • Reply 29 of 56
    razormaidrazormaid Posts: 299member
    I fully agree with Neil here. I used a 6 and holding it was never comfortable. I developed a similar holding position as shown on the photo but it never felt held firmly so there was always the concern of a sudden slip and dropping it. 

I agree that that typing is much better on the bigger screen, as is the screen itself. I really miss the estate. 

But OTOH the ability to comfortably use it with one hand is outweighing the cons for me. 

What at might change his is if Apple would consider some changes to hardware and software. 

First, make the 4.7 less slippery to hold. When I saw the battery pack by Apple I thought the bump on the back would give the pinky a much more comfortable resting place for holding it. The material of the phone (6 here, I hear the 6s is improved) feels slippery. 

On the software side of things what about centering the OS around the bottom right instead of the top left? That would ease things significantly without drawbacks for bigger handed users. 
    Reachability is a joke. 

I agree reed that for longer typing such as this post I always use both hands since it is much more comfortable. However, for shorter messages and some basic interaction such as checking/deleting emails, weather app, selecting music and surfing I prefer much more the one handed use. What I do with my other hand? Right now quite often holding my three months old daughter. Carrying a bag when walking outside, working out in a gym, eg. While she of this can also be done usin Siri, I simply prefer using my hands. 

Maybe you guys should check out these 3rd party keyboards. You can place it on the left or right side of the device. (They're for iPhone only obviously.) 

Thumbly ( my favorite of the two)
    Handy (aka "One Handy Keyboard" in iTunes Store)

they both work great and can be easily accessed one handed. They had something similar in the movie "Enders Game". 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 30 of 56
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,286member
    While, I too have adopted the pinky support technique, I have never experienced sharp edges on either the lightning port or the speaker openings.
  • Reply 31 of 56
    2012: "We want bigger phones! Waaaaaah!"

2016: "No, wait..."
    nolamacguymichael scripbrakken
  • Reply 32 of 56
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Goog article.  After reading it, I took off the case of my iPhone 5.  I rediscover how easy using the phone without the case.  
  • Reply 33 of 56
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 422member
    fallenjt said:
    The only reason you need to use one hand is to enter texts while you drive!
    Us poor people in Europe also walk, often carrying briefcases or other bags. If you're using Maps to get somewhere, or doing last-minute meeting revision from an E-Mail or just trying to get the right piece of music to play then it's one-handed or stop walking so you can put down your bag.

It's also legal to text whilst walking in Europe :-)
  • Reply 34 of 56
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    nhughes said:

pmz said:
    This is just the latest in a string of bloggers that have been unable to resist the Apple-released-something-new-I-must-have-it-even-though-I-dont-really-need-or-even-want-it.

A made up excuse to try the SE for a few months. 

I just picked up one of the 4" iPhones on my desk and realized that I hold that with one with the "pinky shelf" too. It is not just the larger phones.

You really can't do much with any iPhone one-handed.
    Made up excuse? Give me a little more credit than that, please.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/09/27/adapting-to-change-a-review-of-apples-4-inch-iphone-5s-vs-the-larger-47-inch-iphone-6

Neil,

Why did you bother, anyone who reads your articles and listen to you on the pod cast would know you have been the defender of small iphones. I see people use their phones one handed, I do not fall into that crowed, I have never seem to be able to develop the skills to use a phone single handed no matter its size. I have always used two hands with my cell phone. All the more power to you.

• Reply 35 of 56
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member

I didn't notice it at first, but over time this habit took its toll on my right pinky. While I never really formed a full-fledged callus on my finger, the weight of the iPhone 6s and the friction of using it (especially with the sharp edges of the speaker grille and Lightning port) took their toll. Pinky fatigue became a real thing.

I have this exact problem from doing that with my iPad! I'm so glad to know it's not just me. That callus drives me nuts!
  • Reply 36 of 56
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    The last photo purportedly showing an iPhone 7 and which was immediately dismissed as being a PS fake may give you a hope... I actually liked that design with zeroed sidewise bezels and I wanted Apple come with something like that, resembling more a SE with sharp edges instead of the bulky jellybean design of 6 series.
  • Reply 37 of 56
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    sog35 said:
    Could someone please educate me:

Why the HELL would you uses 1 hand to use an iPhone?  (my apologies to people with only one hand)
    Sog. I give you more thumbs-up than anybody on most of your posts; but on this, I think the answer is no. Nobody can educate you. If you can't figure that one out for yourself, I don't think there is much hope for you.
    brakkenpscooter63macgui
  • Reply 38 of 56
    mmaskmmask Posts: 4member
    I obsessed for months on this. Went from 6+ to 6 and the to 6s then 6s+. Intrigued by SE still. 
    Get a Bunker ring from Amazon. It, with a bumper case (bunker ring works best on metal back of phone), is the solution for one hand use. Believe me. I know. I have tried everything to accomplish one hand use. It works!
  • Reply 39 of 56
    mmaskmmask Posts: 4member
    It doubles as a stand. Get this brand it's the best of 4 I have used. 

Kickstand; Original, Genuine, Authentic " i&PLUS BUNKER RING Essentials " Cell Phone and Tablets Anti Drop Ring for iPhone 6 plus iPad mini iPad2 iPad iPod Samsung GALAXY NOTE S5 Universal Mobile Devices (Gold) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00M6J1QYC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_okbbxbF3HZ8H5
  • Reply 40 of 56
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,727member
    razormaid said:
    I fully agree with Neil here. I used a 6 and holding it was never comfortable. I developed a similar holding position as shown on the photo but it never felt held firmly so there was always the concern of a sudden slip and dropping it. 

I agree that that typing is much better on the bigger screen, as is the screen itself. I really miss the estate. 

But OTOH the ability to comfortably use it with one hand is outweighing the cons for me. 

What at might change his is if Apple would consider some changes to hardware and software. 

First, make the 4.7 less slippery to hold. When I saw the battery pack by Apple I thought the bump on the back would give the pinky a much more comfortable resting place for holding it. The material of the phone (6 here, I hear the 6s is improved) feels slippery. 

On the software side of things what about centering the OS around the bottom right instead of the top left? That would ease things significantly without drawbacks for bigger handed users. 
    Reachability is a joke. 

I agree reed that for longer typing such as this post I always use both hands since it is much more comfortable. However, for shorter messages and some basic interaction such as checking/deleting emails, weather app, selecting music and surfing I prefer much more the one handed use. What I do with my other hand? Right now quite often holding my three months old daughter. Carrying a bag when walking outside, working out in a gym, eg. While she of this can also be done usin Siri, I simply prefer using my hands. 

Maybe you guys should check out these 3rd party keyboards. You can place it on the left or right side of the device. (They're for iPhone only obviously.) 

Thumbly ( my favorite of the two)
    Handy (aka "One Handy Keyboard" in iTunes Store)

they both work great and can be easily accessed one handed. They had something similar in the movie "Enders Game". 
    Thanks for the tip. Sounds interesting.  Still doesn't solve eg that you have to reach top left for hitting "back to...", or the down-arrow in full cover view of the music app, or going back to the mailbox from a message in mail etc. 

Well, first world problem as mentioned before :)