Analysis ranks 9.7" iPad Pro screen as best performing mobile LCD ever made

Posted:
in iPad
With two color gamuts, increased brightness, lower reflectance, and the new True Tone color shifting technology, the Retina display in Apple's new 9.7-inch iPad Pro is not only the best in its class --?a new analysis has found it's the best performing mobile LCD on the market, period.

Ray Soneira of DisplayMate took a technical look at the display 9.7-inch iPad Pro, with the Retina display returning record breaking results. Among its accomplishments, the smaller iPad Pro has:

• The highest absolute color accuracy for both its color gamuts
  • The lowest screen reflectance for any mobile display
  • The highest peak brightness for any full-size tablet for any picture level
  • The highest contrast rating in ambient light
  • The smallest color variation with viewing angle

Soneira hopes that the improvements found in the 9.7-inch iPad Pro will make their way to Apple's next-generation iPhone 7. Specifically, he believes Apple could implement the wide color gamut and anti-reflection coating, which would improve iPhone screen performance and readability in high ambient light.

When compared to the larger 12.9-inch iPad Pro, the 9.7-inch model's display outperforms it in every category except black luminance, which results in a higher contrast ratio in the dark. Soneira said the 12.9-inch iPad Pro still has "a very good display," but the 9.7-inch model is in a league of its own.

As for the True Tone technology, it relies on two new four-channel ambient light sensors that measure both brightness and color temperature to adjust the display accordingly, giving users a "paper-white" viewing experience.

"When we turned on True Tone under incandescent lighting with a Color Temperature of about 3,000K, the Color Temperature of the iPad Pro 9.7 White Point shifted from 6,945K to 5,500K, which is quite noticeable and visually significant, but it doesn't come close to matching the color of reflected light from white paper," Soneira wrote. "The color change with ambient light may be better for reading text on the screen's white background."

He recommended that Apple include a slider adjustment for True Tone, allowing users to control the effect to their liking.

DisplayMate's tests confirm Apple's claims that the 9.7-inch iPad Pro boasts the lowest reflectivity of any tablet available. Apple has said the new iPad Pro is 40 percent less reflective and 25 percent brighter than its predecessor, the iPad Air 2.

Color reproduction also matches the same gamut offered on the iMac with Retina 5K display. The 9.7-inch tablet also has 25 percent greater color saturation than the iPad Air 2.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 27
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Apple doesn't innovate anymore because iteration.  uh huh. 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 2 of 27
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Wouldn't trade my 4GB RAM and larger screen for anything. I wonder if Apple could have waited and released the 12.9" at the same time as the 9.7". Seems odd that the smaller, less expensive device has the better display.
  • Reply 3 of 27
    So, now DisplayMate is a reliable source, but when it quoted the Galaxy S7 Edge's display as the "Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested" people on AI were calling it crap-talking and bought-out by Samsung. ;-)

Anyhow, I'd love me a small iPad Pro as my first iPad. I tried the pencil several times on a friend's device and it does work like a charm. Yet I cannot justify the additional expense as something I could actually use for work other than content consumption and the occasional sketch. Perhaps if it ran OS X instead... 
    sirlance99staticx57dasanman69cnocbuisingularity
  • Reply 4 of 27
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    But the spec trolls say it’s all about how many pixels and pixel count trumps any stupid objective analysis. The screen with the most pixels wins! Or so they say.
    jony0
  • Reply 5 of 27
    staticx57staticx57 Posts: 405member
    sog35 said:
    So, now DisplayMate is a reliable source, but when it quoted the Galaxy S7 Edge's display as the "Best Performing Smartphone Display that we have ever tested" people on AI were calling it crap-talking and bought-out by Samsung. ;-)

Anyhow, I'd love me a small iPad Pro as my first iPad. I tried the pencil several times on a friend's device and it does work like a charm. Yet I cannot justify the additional expense as something I could actually use for work other than content consumption and the occasional sketch. Perhaps if it ran OS X instead... 
    Nope. My eyes are the most trusted source. PERIOD.

Everyone's eyes are different. There is zero reason to buy a tablet/phone based on someone elses anaylsis. NO matter how many tests they used, it can't reproduce what your brain/eyes are seeing.

IMO, Samsung S7 colors are way exaggerated and over saturated. I don't care what Display mate says.  The iPhone screens look way more real and accurate.
    Just as the Pro 9.7" has two calibration settings, the GS7 has calibration settings as well. One of which is calibrated sRGB and the other is calibrated AdobeRGB. Had you bothered to read the article you would have found out.
    dws-2cnocbui6Sgoldfishsingularityurahara
  • Reply 6 of 27
    dasanman69dasanman69 Posts: 13,002member
    sog35 said:

Everyone's eyes are different. There is zero reason to buy a tablet/phone based on someone elses anaylsis. NO matter how many tests they used, it can't reproduce what your brain/eyes are seeing.

IMO, Samsung S7 colors are way exaggerated and over saturated. I don't care what Display mate says.  The iPhone screens look way more real and accurate.
    Because that's what you want to see. What one sees, and what's reality are often 2 different things. 
    cnocbui6Sgoldfishsingularityurahara
  • Reply 7 of 27
    lkrupp said:
    But the spec trolls say it’s all about how many pixels and pixel count trumps any stupid objective analysis. The screen with the most pixels wins! Or so they say.
    Many here said most pixels wins when Apple introduced the Retina display. 
    6Sgoldfishsingularity
  • Reply 8 of 27
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    staticx57 said:
    sog35 said:

Just as the Pro 9.7" has two calibration settings, the GS7 has calibration settings as well. One of which is calibrated sRGB and the other is calibrated AdobeRGB. Had you bothered to read the article you would have found out.
    No, no - he doesn't want to hear there is a solution for his over-saturated perception and hyperbole, that would be like yanking the one-legged stool out from under him, he's so precariously balanced on.  He bought an iPhone.  It has to have the best and be the best or he'll be all upset with Tim Cook.
    singularity
  • Reply 9 of 27
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    staticx57 said:
    sog35 said:

WHy the hell are you even here, what's your point? Same thing Goldfish here, always the same constant regurgitated pap about Android crap.

When your OLED screen declines to also ran in 2 years, the LCD screen will be essentially the same.
     3 years later, still mostly the same (considering this one can even self adjust the screen for gray scale, even more so than before).

But, hey, hero worship, little dance, etc. Whatever.

jony0sessamoid
  • Reply 10 of 27
    sog35 said:
    Because that's what you want to see. What one sees, and what's reality are often 2 different things. 
    No you are wrong.  You don't even have a basic understanding on how our brain sees objects.

If the S7 had a better screen to me I'd say it.  I have no problem saying the S7 has better bezel/screen ratio than the iPhone. So I have no problem saying another brand beats Apple in a feature.

But for screens IMO (the only opinion that counts for my eyes) the Samsung screens are over saturated to the point things look radioactive.
    It's a proven fact that preconceived notions will override what the brain is really seeing. What we see, and what we think we see can be very different. That's the reason why witness accounts are often contradictory. 
    singularity
  • Reply 11 of 27
    foggyhill said:
    staticx57 said:
    WHy the hell are you even here, what's your point? Same thing Goldfish here, always the same constant regurgitated pap about Android crap.

When your OLED screen declines to also ran in 2 years, the LCD screen will be essentially the same.
     3 years later, still mostly the same (considering this one can even self adjust the screen for gray scale, even more so than before).

Do I have to prove I use Apple products by bashing all others?
    singularity
  • Reply 12 of 27
    staticx57 said:
    foggyhill said:

I read all your other posts, so spare me.
    sessamoid
  • Reply 13 of 27
    sog35 said:
    No you are wrong.  You don't even have a basic understanding on how our brain sees objects.

If the S7 had a better screen to me I'd say it.  I have no problem saying the S7 has better bezel/screen ratio than the iPhone. So I have no problem saying another brand beats Apple in a feature.

But for screens IMO (the only opinion that counts for my eyes) the Samsung screens are over saturated to the point things look radioactive.
    It's a proven fact that preconceived notions will override what the brain is really seeing. What we see, and what we think we see can be very different. That's the reason why witness accounts are often contradictory. 
    It's also depends if its better on something you actually care about or not.

The problem also is that until this year, it was 100% arguable that OLED screens were not the best in many metrics, but you had people advocating them doing the same argument as this year. This puts all their arguments in doubt. In fact, on some metrics, this screen is better than the S7 screens and if this came to the Iphone (which is likely), it would juggle the cards on display again but that's not what we will hear when the Iphone 7 with this tech happens... Not at al.

Same argument about resolution and the Iphone, the 6s+ has 400ppi which is very close to the actual resolution of the S7 once you take into account the pentile nature of the screen yet you got people on Android groups (and even on Mac rumors) going on and on about Apple losing, not innovating, being behind constantly. They disregard the fact that Samsung has to push much more pixels to get this just about equal actual res which impacts performance and battery.

Same argument on the camera, the Samsung has much better good light performance, but if its low light, there is movement, if you need a quick focus in low light, if you need to shoot video while you move, it's not in front. Yes, you have the same winner takes all claptrap. I even admit that the Samsung camera is probably slightly ahead (taking into acount all factors).

Samsung is closer to Apple that they have been since the 5s came out and blew them away (that's when they starting losing the high end), but they're not there yet.

• Reply 14 of 27
    sog35 said:

"Regarding colors, Samsung phones have an Adaptive Display mode that, as the name suggests, automatically adapts a variety of aspects such as color saturation and contrast so the screen can look better in different situations. The tests revealed that every color missed its target point on the sRGB color space, making it oversaturated, which is something common with AMOLED displays. Additionally, on lighter colors, there’s a blueish tint that tries to make the white look “more white”, and as a result, you end up getting something slightly blue."

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/03/galaxy-s7-edge-display-analysis-shows-amoleds-pros-cons.html

All you needed to do was quote the last sentence of the paragraph you cut up and you would have had your answer.

foggyhill said:
    staticx57 said:
    I read all your other posts, so spare me.
    I'm just categorically anti-Apple then. But dont' worry, I haven't been down voting your posts just because you disagree with me. I have also extended that same courtesy to sog as well.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 15 of 27
    Sog, you are a most confusing character. Here you are advocating for OLED.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/192613/samsung-sees-10-profit-growth-on-better-than-expected-sales-of-flagship-galaxy-s7/p2

Or do you believe only Apple would be able to implement it correctly?
  • Reply 16 of 27
    sog35 said:
    staticx57 said:
    Sog, you are a most confusing character. Here you are advocating for OLED.

http://forums.appleinsider.com/discussion/192613/samsung-sees-10-profit-growth-on-better-than-expected-sales-of-flagship-galaxy-s7/p2

Or do you believe only Apple would be able to implement it correctly?
    That was before I got to see the S7 myself. I thought they overcame the saturation issues but they haven't.

Do you deny that they CAN be calibrated? Samsung uses a non calibrated setting to sell in the same way TV makers crank up the brightness and saturation in store to sell.
  • Reply 17 of 27
    staticx57 said:
    sog35 said:

"Regarding colors, Samsung phones have an Adaptive Display mode that, as the name suggests, automatically adapts a variety of aspects such as color saturation and contrast so the screen can look better in different situations. The tests revealed that every color missed its target point on the sRGB color space, making it oversaturated, which is something common with AMOLED displays. Additionally, on lighter colors, there’s a blueish tint that tries to make the white look “more white”, and as a result, you end up getting something slightly blue."

http://www.androidheadlines.com/2016/03/galaxy-s7-edge-display-analysis-shows-amoleds-pros-cons.html

All you needed to do was quote the last sentence of the paragraph you cut up and you would have had your answer.

I'm just categorically anti-Apple then. But dont' worry, I haven't been down voting your posts just because you disagree with me. I have also extended that same courtesy to sog as well.
    I don;t down vote ANYONE, I just ignore people I can't stand (that doesn't include you).
    sessamoid
  • Reply 18 of 27
    sog35 said:
    staticx57 said:
    Do you deny that they CAN be calibrated? Samsung uses a non calibrated setting to sell in the same way TV makers crank up the brightness and saturation in store to sell.
    I don't know and don't care. I don't have time to calibrate my phone. For $800 I expect it to look great right out of the box, just like the iPhone.

Sure you can calibrate it but then you run into all kinds of other problems.

Let's say Apple set the calibrated setting as the default insteadvof burying it in the settings like Samsung. Would you be fine with that?
  • Reply 19 of 27
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    sog35 said:

Totally agree... But this time I have to say that, to my eyes, side by side, the iPad Air 2 looked better then the iPad Pro, I suppose that is due to the ambient light in the store where they have them.
  • Reply 20 of 27
    josujosu Posts: 217member
    foggyhill said:
    staticx57 said:

LCD screens degrade? When? Because my nine years old iPod Touch still looks bright and shiny to my eyes, even besides my sixth gen one. And my eight year old Laptop still looks the same even besides my year old retina one. I can't see the degradation, but OK maybe is that I'm accustomed to it, like when you are seeing a show for years and years and suddenly you see a first season episode and then notice how older the actors are now. Oh, I forgot, my seven year old LCD TV looks very good too.

I know, I know, you are arguing against OLED, and defending LCD, but I'm only asking, seriously. Because in the LCD front, the degradation must be negligible by now, given my experience with LCDs live span.
    edited April 2016 sessamoid