Facing 'sluggish sales,' Apple said to continue reduced iPhone production through June quarter

124»

Comments

• Reply 61 of 74
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    josu said:
    mac_128 said:
    I'm not even sure that will help. I was in an Apple Store in LA with a friend, and she wanted to see the pencil work, picked it up and nothing happened. We couldn't find a single app that it would work with, and I'm pretty sure we were using the native Apple apps that had support. This was around lunchtime, but all I could conclude was that it had run out of power. She basically is turned off on that pencil for now, at least until I get one, and she sees what you can actually do with it.
    Thanks for the advice, but it will be useful only if I find other guy with the same problem, it was a random encounter with a total stranger. But as far as I know, for pairing you only have to connect it to the lightning port, and keep in it 30 seconds there you get a fair charge to the device to work.
    Notes works with the pencil.
    Right, but the problem is, nobody who doesn't have one really knows that. Heck I knew it, and I didn't really even think about that being the problem. What chance does the average consumer have with a mild curiosity? That's the real failure here, the inability of the Apple Store teeming with seemingly more staff than customers which is unable to keep their products in an effective demonstration state.
  • Reply 62 of 74
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    k2kw said:
    Apple feeling the Android pinch.  First Apple made them bigger, then smaller, then plastic.  They don't know whether there coming or going. It's tough going up against a superior OS.  With Android market share still on the rise, and Google coming out on top as the most profitable company, its no doubt Apple is feeling the hurt.
    Nothing shows the problems of Apple more than SIRI and iMAPS.   4 years ago SIRI was new and innovative and its short comings could be over looked.    Now its just Pathetic.    Cartana and Google now impress and perform.    Tim Cook talks about Software and Services but its a LONG ways away.    Apple should have bought HERE maps when the had their chance.    Instead they trickle out minor upgrades to a few cities each year like its a new product announcement - hardly worth of mention.    

Apple made their new  9.7 iPad pro announcement last month and showed that they want to keep it a small seller.   Its over priced by $150. The 12.9 model likewise by $200.   They should be pricing the iPad as an alternative to the typical Windows Home computer that has a new input option, Not a high end laptop alternative.   Its about making iOS the OS of the home computer so that Apple has a garden to grow their software and services in.

Have you fracking used Cortana and Google now? Please spare me your lying shit.
    baconstang
  • Reply 63 of 74
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    foggyhill said:
    k2kw said:
    Nothing shows the problems of Apple more than SIRI and iMAPS.   4 years ago SIRI was new and innovative and its short comings could be over looked.    Now its just Pathetic.    Cartana and Google now impress and perform.    Tim Cook talks about Software and Services but its a LONG ways away.    Apple should have bought HERE maps when the had their chance.    Instead they trickle out minor upgrades to a few cities each year like its a new product announcement - hardly worth of mention.    

Apple made their new  9.7 iPad pro announcement last month and showed that they want to keep it a small seller.   Its over priced by $150. The 12.9 model likewise by $200.   They should be pricing the iPad as an alternative to the typical Windows Home computer that has a new input option, Not a high end laptop alternative.   Its about making iOS the OS of the home computer so that Apple has a garden to grow their software and services in.

Your one-eyed strident fanboyism has become really tiresome.
    edited April 2016 singularitysirlance99lord amhranroger wade
  • Reply 64 of 74
    hledgardhledgard Posts: 265member
    blastdoor said:
    wizard69 said:

As for Cinema Display what can we say good about that. It is pretty clear that the sales rate was less than the Mac Pro probably considerably less. does it make sense for Apple to sell stuff at a loss? It is pretty clear from them offering third party monitors that they have more or less given up on Cinema display. However this also highlights an issue with Apples line up of Macs, they don't have a midrange desktop computer that might help drive monitor sales. What is even sadder is the Mac Pro could be that machine, they just need to offer a model with a single GPU slot configured and a desktop class processor. Get the price of a "desktop" Mac Pro down to around $1500 and there will be strong sales. Even $1500 is a bit stiff these days for a desktop works station but this is Apple we are talking about.
    I agree that the demand for the Cinema Display would be higher if the Mac Pro and Mac Mini were bolstered, and if there was a decent midrange desktop.

But even without that, there are plenty of people who want to use a big monitor with their laptop when at a desk. If the Cinema/Thunderbolt Display wasn't so ancient (and now overpriced), that would be a great option (it once was a great option). 

Also, call me superficial, but the idea of using a monitor with a big Dell logo on it is pretty darned unappealing. For reasons of pride if nothing else, how can Apple tolerate Macs being attached to Dell monitors? Sad!
    Ditto !  I don't want Dall on my screen either !
  • Reply 65 of 74
    sirlance99sirlance99 Posts: 1,295member
    foggyhill said:
    k2kw said:

Google Now is far better than Siri. I continually ask the same questions to both and almost always get better results with Google Now. 
    cnocbuisingularityjonlroger wade
  • Reply 66 of 74
    crossladcrosslad Posts: 527member
    bluefire1 said:
    The iPhone 7 had better be a real upgrade, both cosmetically and internally. My friend recently showed me his new Galaxy S7 and it is stunning. And the battery life....
    That wasn't my opinion when I saw it in real life. Oversaturated screen, the sample images looked awful, and the build quality really isn't the same as an iPhone. 
    baconstang
  • Reply 67 of 74
    Commenting on Apple production cut reports:
    The reason for the cut is:
    About 10-15% of larger iPhones users are converting to smaller SE model.
    Hence the cut in 6s and 6s plus

The reason for large to small conversion  is simple.
     Smaller is more beautiful for them!
    And it's a smart move. 
    In addition to the lower price,
    specs on iPhone SE exceed that of iPhone 6s except the screen size which is an advantage for many users.

Apple sold over 300 million iPhones 5 models over 2012 thru 2014.
    About 35-40% will convert to iPhone SE
    Lead times for SE were in days initially but now in weeks.

What does that say?
    Apple didn't produce enough?
    Or Demand far exceeds supply?

Consider Apple does not use the same suppliers for the two iPhones models

• Reply 68 of 74
    rattlhedrattlhed Posts: 155member
    sdw2001 said:

Of course, I expect growth will continue with iPhone 7.  It will be a significant upgrade and new form factor.  They won't be able to make them fast enough.  

sdw2001:  I wonder about that with the rumors about ditching the 3.5mm jack.  Of course, these are just rumors and may not pan out, but if they do I seriously wonder about massive iPhone sales.  Apple shook up the world when the ditched the optical drives in their computers, and again when they ditched ports with the new Macbook, but laptops don't drive sales and they don't sell 35 million in a quarter.  Keep in mind, there is a core audience out there, such as myself, that would learn to deal with it, and maybe even come to realize the benefits after using such a device for a while, but I truly believe the common joe out there that uses an iPhone will give serious consideration to an upgrade if the 3.5mm port is gone.  I just can't see this phone exploding off the shelves with such a radical change if it happens.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 69 of 74
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    Ditching the audio jack does not affect gear heads.  I'm using bluetooth headsets and connect to my car this way, I have no use for the audio jack at all.  I would rather see they move completely to a wireless charging and syncing tech so the device is fully air tight and water proof.

I'm sure the move will upset a whole bunch of people but there is always a bluetooth to audio adapter they can sell or include.  
  • Reply 70 of 74
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    foggyhill said:
    Google Now is far better than Siri. I continually ask the same questions to both and almost always get better results with Google Now. 
    You think I can't read?
    That your history of shining turds into "truths" is not well known.
    Make compost out of that thing you do; make it useful.

edited April 2016
  • Reply 71 of 74
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Another analyst predicting a huge miss from Apple in the June quarter.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdaily/2016/04/18/apple-june-quarter-iphone-units-may-miss-big-says-maybank/?mod=yahoobarrons&ru=yahoo

Hmm...I seem to remember right before last quarters earnings call we got all these dire predictions about the March quarter and now right before this earnings call we're getting dire predictions about the June quarter. So Apple could have a better than expected March quarter but it won't matter (and everyone will ignore how the street was wrong about March)  because they'll all be freaking out about June. And we'll see the same thing we do every quarter...Apple putting up huge numbers but the stock tanking after hours (even though In theory bad news should already be priced into the stock).
    palomine
  • Reply 72 of 74
    palominepalomine Posts: 363member
    foggyhill said:
    IF you look at previous sales curb, uh, production is always equal or lower at this time of years; so someone just crapped out some pseudo news again.

This non announce "announce" just before April 26 makes me think the SEC should be fracking looking those "leakers" if they do exist to see if they are profiting from this.
    What makes you think the SEC would investigate harm to Apple stock??? Hell, the whole government has made it ABUNDANTLY CLEAR that they dislike this company and their ethics.  I doubt this administration  would allow a court case that could impact Apple in a good way. Maybe their inbox is stuffed with complaints about manipulation but if they took any action it would be to fine Apple for something, not the banks or investment community. 

Yeah Apple needs to spend money lobbying when we get a new president. I give up on this one, and I voted for it!! I will be glad when we get a new one. 
  • Reply 73 of 74
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Saturation happens everywhere. Trend we see on personal computers' front will/is coming to mobile devices - and much faster, since development is more aggressive, too. iPhone has been so good for the last few releases that less and less people feel need to replace it often. Especially outside of US where it seems to be more common to get phone free of contract.

And, realistically, why not? My wife's 5s still works like a charm. It actually works quite a bit better now than on release - first year or so it was prone to occasional freezing, but that stopped happening later on, so it looks like it was software related. Was it OS bug or some kind of rogue app (that also updated in the meantime), who knows; it is gone.

Even my Lumia 920, which is iPhone 5 generation, but had less performance (naturally) still behaves remarkably well. I can see some early signs of software getting over hardware specs - maps don't scroll perfectly smooth, for example, there is a bit of stuttering - but for most common tasks, it is still silk smooth. I'm planning to replace it, of course, but some other things I like burning money on do take priority nowadays.
    baconstang