New 12" MacBook boasts 80-90% faster SSD write speeds, 20% CPU improvement

Comments

• Reply 21 of 56
    knowitallknowitall Posts: 1,648member
    Geekbench 3 score:
       - Intel whatever M bla: 2670
       - A9X: 3224

Wow!
    With battery life 3 times better, it's clear who's best (a MacBook that lasts 33 hours and costs $900).
    Time to finish of the evil empire of MS and Intel now we have the chance.
  • Reply 22 of 56
    SnRaSnRa Posts: 65member
    1983 said:
    The increase in SSD performance should be noticeable but the rest - CPU and graphics 20-25% I don't think will be. How come HP can release an ultralight laptop that's a few mm's thinner than the Macbook with a lot more power and Apple can't or won't...afraid to impact rMBP sales maybe?
    Retina Macbook is the first fanless laptop.
    No, it's not even the first fanless Core m laptop. If I'm not mistaken, that would be the ASUS UX305. 
    roger wade
  • Reply 23 of 56
    knowitall said:
    Geekbench 3 score:
       - Intel whatever M bla: 2670
       - A9X: 3224

Wow!
    With battery life 3 times better, it's clear who's best (a MacBook that lasts 33 hours and costs $900).
    Time to finish of the evil empire of MS and Intel now we have the chance.
    Nothing you said makes sense. Your scores are also for Geekbench, there is a reason no reputable tech reviewer will use that benchmark to compare x86 and ARM.
    irelandReasonable907singularity
  • Reply 24 of 56
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    ireland said:
    foggyhill said:

It's the resolution that matters, not the display size.
    Try develop Mac apps on 5K 3" display; both matter.

12" is too small for me. 14" is probably the perfect size for me for a portable notebook computer.

I'm talking about costs. A 27 inch 1440p display of that quality is probably $350-400 max.
    Not sure what your getting at otherwise.
    Pretty sure that if you need 5K to work on, you're not buying this ultra light to fit those needs.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 25 of 56
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    gumbi said:

Pretty sure that isn't true.  My kids 13' HP Stream has no fans and I'm pretty sure we've had it longer than the MacBook has been out...
    There were fanless Intel iCore portables, but not necessarily in pure laptop format. I recall fanless HP Spectre 13 detachable back from 2013... it was technically hybrid (with detachable clam-shell keyboard) but from performance perspective, it was Core M i3 and i5-grade laptop, not crippled Atom. How well did it perform with Haswell parts and passive cooling, that might be completely different story :)

I also vaguely recall 11" Acer Travelmate laptop from 2014, but it might have been QC Atom... not sure.
  • Reply 26 of 56
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,112member
    gumbi said:

Pretty sure that isn't true.  My kids 13' HP Stream has no fans and I'm pretty sure we've had it longer than the MacBook has been out...

The revolutionary HP Stream is a stylish, affordable  
    Windows-based PC that lets you store your content in the 
    cloud for easy access in more places.1

Starting at

$199.99

... We are not talking about $200 toys in candy colors.

roger wade
  • Reply 27 of 56
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    Just checked into the benchmarks on this thing and run GeekBench on my 13" Macbook Pro Retina (Late 2013).  Looks like the 12" Macbook is about the same performance as a 2013 Macbook Pro Core i7!  I think that's pretty impressive give the battery life and size reduction.
  • Reply 28 of 56
    SnRa said:
    No, it's not even the first fanless Core m laptop. If I'm not mistaken, that would be the ASUS UX305. 
    Retina Macbook was first introduced in March 2015. The oldest review on Asus Zenbook UX305 I could find goes to April 2015. If you can find an earlier date for it then it's welcome...
  • Reply 29 of 56
    red oak said:
    The small increase in CPU and graphic performance increases rests soley with Intel.  I bet the internal Apple semi producing the A series is beside themselves and glamoring to take over 
    I'll take that bet. The A series can't even run a full blown version of Photoshop specifically coded for it, let alone one coded for x86 architecture. Comments like these that come from a place of pure wishful thinking are always good for a chuckle though. 
  • Reply 30 of 56
    SnRa said:
    Retina Macbook was first introduced in March 2015. The oldest review on Asus Zenbook UX305 I could find goes to April 2015. If you can find an earlier date for it then it's welcome...
    I don't think you bothered looking much. Just doing one Google search I immediately found a review from March 15th: 

The UX305 was announced at IFA 2014.

roger wade
  • Reply 31 of 56
    red oak said:
    The small increase in CPU and graphic performance increases rests soley with Intel.  I bet the internal Apple semi producing the A series is beside themselves and glamoring to take over 
    I'll take that bet. The A series can't even run a full blown version of Photoshop specifically coded for it, let alone one coded for x86 architecture. Comments like these that come from a place of pure wishful thinking are always good for a chuckle though. 

Considering how crappy and inefficient Photoshop is, it's possible for that reason alone (yes, I've been using it for 20+ years).

But...
    Considering how zippy lightroom for Ipad on the Ipad pro is, I think we may get a definite answer for that pretty soon.

Considering that the Ipad pro can manipulate 4K streams (2 even) that make many supposedly faster X86 machine croak, I think you're ignoring the advantage of Apple owning the whole stack hardware and software on the Ipad.

And with the A12 likely on 7nm, the answer will definitely be that it can fantastically run Photoshop.

• Reply 32 of 56
    bellsbells Posts: 140member
    1983 said:
    The increase in SSD performance should be noticeable but the rest - CPU and graphics 20-25% I don't think will be. How come HP can release an ultralight laptop that's a few mm's thinner than the Macbook with a lot more power and Apple can't or won't...afraid to impact rMBP sales maybe?
    I'm a Mac guy, but my Office uses HP and Dells. The HP and Dells start having problems within a year. So, personally I could care less what HP does because the quality is not there. 
  • Reply 33 of 56
    1983 said:
    Because they're not in the business of copying crap, or pandering to whiney customers clamoring for features and spec's.
  • Reply 34 of 56

gumbi said:
    foggyhill said:

RETINA, the steam has half the resolution of this thing (4 times less pixels). Good grief. The HP Steam screen is also dimmer.
    It's also way less powered in every dimension possible (CELERON), with 4 times less memory.
    That's one hell of a difference in power usage. The screen and the GPU that powers it is by far the thing that uses the most power on these things.

Sure, the MacBook has a better screen and more power - it should, it's using a newer low-power CPU - but, that's not what was stated.  The comment was that the Retina MacBook was the "first fanless laptop".  HP Stream is a laptop, it is fanless, and it's been out longer than the MacBook.  Period.  End of story.

The HP Streams are actually pretty nice machines for the price - if you know what your getting.  This thing is used for homework - web, office, etc.  And for that purpose you can't beat the price.
    Price, schmice. It's WINDOZE! Get a clue.
  • Reply 35 of 56
    foggyhill said:

Considering how crappy and inefficient Photoshop is, it's possible for that reason alone (yes, I've been using it for 20+ years).

But...
    Considering how zippy lightroom for Ipad on the Ipad pro is, I think we may get a definite answer for that pretty soon.

Considering that the Ipad pro can manipulate 4K streams (2 even) that make many supposedly faster X86 machine croak, I think you're ignoring the advantage of Apple owning the whole stack hardware and software on the Ipad.

And with the A12 likely on 7nm, the answer will definitely be that it can fantastically run Photoshop.

The A10X will remain on 16 nm FF but with InFO that will allow for additional space, power AND cost savings. With further optimization of the twister cores, Apple should be able to squeeze additional performance for the next generation CPU. And at higher volumes for lower cost than Intel is able to produce. 

With the speed that TSMC is moving to 10 nm and to 7 nm, Apple's A series SOCs are poised to become the dominant chips for speed and portability. 

Besides, Apple's chips will run at high sustained speeds without throttling or requiring a fan. Unlike Intel's chips. 

My iPad Pro is the most fantastic laptop replacement I have ever owned. I just wish it had more I/O options as the machine is far more capable than my MacBook Air. 

Dimming down the screen a bit, the machine gives me a bonafide 12 hours of uptime. 

I have no plans on purchasing an x86 based machine again. I just hope that Apple gets moving and increases the capability of iOS. 
  • Reply 36 of 56
    SnRa said:
    I don't think you bothered looking much. Just doing one Google search I immediately found a review from March 15th: 

The UX305 was announced at IFA 2014.

Welcome then...
  • Reply 37 of 56

I have no plans on purchasing an x86 based machine again. I just hope that Apple gets moving and increases the capability of iOS. 
    That... Won't happen..

iOS is an information appliance operating system and it will remain so. iPad won't run OS X, nor will it provide access to file system, and there is a long way to a "tablet Mac". Cars will not replace trucks...

Much of the architectural enhancements of x86 are certainly due also to OS X, so I wouldn't dismiss x86 in such a hurry... 
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 38 of 56
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Honestly the tech reporting on this spec bump is ridiculous. Laptop magazine called it the most disappointing announcement in tech this year. Mashable threw a hissy fit because it still only has one port.

Earth to tech reporters: the original MBA went 33 MONTHS and 3 spec bumps before it got a redesign. Also that was 8 YEARS AGO. Technology has changed quite a bit since then. More and more people are using their phones and tablets in place of PCs. Heck Intel just announced they are laying off 11% of their workforce, 12,000 people! The MacBook may never get more ports or maybe it will once/only if it can eventually replace a rMBP.

The biggest BS in this reporting is the idea that Apple would redesign this product just a year after they first announced it. And yes, adding an additional port is redesigning it as in Apple's mind this should mostly be a wireless machine. In 2008 Apple was probably too daring, harder to make that argument 8 years later. This device is fanless and has one port because that's the machine Apple wanted to design. They're not going to redesign it in less than 12 months because of tech journalists throwing temper tantrums. 
  • Reply 39 of 56

That... Won't happen..

iOS is an information appliance operating system and it will remain so. iPad won't run OS X, nor will it provide access to file system, and there is a long way to a "tablet Mac". Cars will not replace trucks...

Much of the architectural enhancements of x86 are certainly due also to OS X, so I wouldn't dismiss x86 in such a hurry... 
    Talk to me in two years when Intel will be dragging their ass on the ground and Apple's version of ARM essentially will have caught up with 7nm
  • Reply 40 of 56
    I'm considering this one, not sure though. My 2013 rMBP died 2 or 3 months ago when my 5 year old spilled orange juice all over the keyboard and I've been using only my iPhone 6S and an iPad Air since. As a long time laptop user who has never QUITE found the iPad to be a replacement, I'm kind of over it at this point and itching for a new laptop. I've always gravitated to the more pro offerings (my first Apple computer was a PowerBook G4 despite not really being a 'pro' user.

Anyway, I guess I am left considering this new MacBook. It would probably do everything I need to do, but would I be happy with it? Who can tell. Currently the base MacBook and MacBook Pros are the same price - given that I would rather buy a MBP but I am certainly not going to buy one before they are refreshed now. Of course what I should do is just keep hanging on until they do that refresh and see what the new MacBook Pros are like/priced like and then decide. But that's going to be hard!