Apple's mysterious WWDC 2016 announcement: What does it mean?

Comments

• Reply 21 of 53
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    macarena said:
    Apple has already indicated that they want to move everything on iCloud in house. And knowing Apple, they will not be buying servers by the millions from anyone else. It makes sense for them to make their own servers. And obviously offer them to customers as well, to lower costs even more. Apple will launch micro-servers - with A9x based processors with many CPU and GPU cores, lots of RAM, and huge flash. All in a very small package, even smaller than the Apple TV. With a small built in battery for power backup for an hour. And obviously, with a "Server Store", so you can download any server software you want. Either from Apple, or from third parties. All software that will be easily integrated with a new "Server Control Centre" - that can even be accessed and configured remotely. Obviously consuming seriously low power - below 10 watts, powered over USB, and with the USB slot doubling up as the wired Network interface. For sale at $199. Available for pre-order immediately after the announcement. That will be the "big" idea.
    Not a hope. 
    cornchip
  • Reply 22 of 53
    appexappex Posts: 687member
    Quite simple:

- Fast standards to all Apple devices: Thunderbolt 3 and USB 3.1 Type-C Generation 2.

- SDXC reader/writer supporting maximum speed (300 MB/s).

- SSD to all devices as well.

- Intel 3D XPoint (Optane) for booting in a couple of seconds.

- Last but not least, Apple Thunderbolt Display 24-inch 4K with above ports and fully supporting nVidia 3D VR. Finally, stereoscopic 3D (including SBS movies) on Apple display!
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 23 of 53
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 895member
    I am thinking, with the release of Safari Preview, maybe some browser frameworks, for the ability to make/create programs like Numbers and Pages that are in the iCloud web portal. I would love me some APIs/frameworks like that right now, then I could make my app, web based very easily!!! PLEASE!!
  • Reply 24 of 53

Big idea:  Arrangement with carriers to allow iOS devices free LTE access to/through iCloud!

edited April 2016
  • Reply 25 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    Big idea:  Arrangement with carriers to allow iOS devices free LTE access to/through iCloud!
    Do you mean that accessing your iCloud files wouldn’t count against your data plan? That’d give people one reason to use it, at least.

On that note, since iBooks changed to put my entire library in iCloud, I can’t find my local files anymore. This isn’t fucking acceptable, Apple. It was hidden enough as it was; there’s no excuse for the outright theft of my files with no documentation as to their new location.

Never mind that some of them refuse to even SYNC in the first place. All I want is the exact opposite of what iCloud offers. Instead of my possessions being in a repository that I don’t control which syncs to my computers, I want my possessions on my computers to be synced across a repository I don’t control. 
  • Reply 26 of 53
    Do you mean that accessing your iCloud files wouldn’t count against your data plan? That’d give people one reason to use it, at least.

You betchem Red Rider!

tallest skil
  • Reply 27 of 53
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    Let's see. Apple has trimmed the MacBook line by removing floppy discs, CDs, DVDs, and dedicated video out, and reduced the number of other ports, all down to the point that it's near impossible to go into a presentation or client meeting without carrying around a bag of various gadgets and cords to make up for the needed functions that are no longer on the machine itself. To continue this trend, I predict Apple will further lighten the MacBook line by eliminating screens and the processor itself, providing some kind of socket (never before seen, of course), to plug in these things. Of course, the battery will be gone, you can just run a cord to a external battery. And maybe Apple will get rid of the casing, since you can just carry around bare boards in a box or something. But the new MacBook will be really, really light!
    So not funny. 
    Too close to the bone for you?
    baconstang
  • Reply 28 of 53
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    Whatever it is, I expect to be underwhelmed or disappointed. Apple's interests aren't aligned with mine as a content creator wanting a serious content creation station that isn't running laptop components that die from heating and cooling fatigue in under 5 years. Hell, 10 years would be unacceptable too.
  • Reply 29 of 53
    Hello new Apple Watch. With GPS, 3G and Camera. Active weather and Vine app comes as standard.
  • Reply 30 of 53
    NarxtNarxt Posts: 1member
    Siri will start initiating conversations what her AI tells her you will want to know
  • Reply 31 of 53
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    dysamoria said:
    Whatever it is, I expect to be underwhelmed or disappointed. Apple's interests aren't aligned with mine as a content creator wanting a serious content creation station that isn't running laptop components that die from heating and cooling fatigue in under 5 years. Hell, 10 years would be unacceptable too.
    I bet you still using Aldus Freehand to create your serious content this is why you need computers that lasts more than 10 years.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 53
    farmboyfarmboy Posts: 152member
    sog35 said:
    The big news?

iOS Light.

A brand new OS made for $100-$300 phones built by other hardware makers. This version of iOS will have less features but will be able to run smoothly on less advanced hardware. Just like current iOS has some features left off for older iPhones. 

This will allow iOS and Apple to penetrate the sub $300 market and triple the amount of iOS users worldwide. It will allow iOS to compete with Android in marketshare across the globe. Since iOS Light will not be full featured like the normal iOS, canibalization should be minimized.

Don't forget Steve Jobs licensed MacOS many times in the past.

..."compete with Android in marketshare"? Who could possibly care? "This year we're announcing we've made even less on iphone than ever." (smattering of applause from Gatorguy and Sog).

Jobs licensed the OS twice, briefly, and always regretted doing it at all.
    nolamacguy[Deleted User]
  • Reply 33 of 53
    macplusplusmacplusplus Posts: 2,115member
    farmboy said:
    As far as I remember Jobs stopped licensing when he came back. But Wikipedia says he still maintained talks about licensing, without conclusion. One thing is for sure, he was against licensing.
    cornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 34 of 53
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    farmboy said:
    sog35 said:
    The big news?

iOS Light.

A brand new OS made for $100-$300 phones built by other hardware makers. This version of iOS will have less features but will be able to run smoothly on less advanced hardware. Just like current iOS has some features left off for older iPhones. 

This will allow iOS and Apple to penetrate the sub $300 market and triple the amount of iOS users worldwide. It will allow iOS to compete with Android in marketshare across the globe. Since iOS Light will not be full featured like the normal iOS, canibalization should be minimized.

..."compete with Android in marketshare"? Who could possibly care? "This year we're announcing we've made even less on iphone than ever." (smattering of applause from Gatorguy and Sog).

When was that?  I thought all the MacOS clones predated Jobs' return to Apple, and he was responsible for ending the program?
    cornchip[Deleted User]
  • Reply 35 of 53
    I'm hoping it's "Apple-VR", Apple's new VR headset, VR development API, and VR App Store.
    palomine
  • Reply 36 of 53
    tallest skiltallest skil Posts: 43,388member
    I'm hoping it's "Apple-VR", Apple's new VR headset, VR development API, and VR App Store.
    That would require Apple to care about graphics, and they don’t.
    singularity
  • Reply 37 of 53
    merging of osx and ios x.
    cornchip
  • Reply 38 of 53
    peteraltpeteralt Posts: 155member
    It means that the next gen Apple Watch will be announced. Included in the watch will be a new sensor that could measure humidity. It's software will use that data to warn you of "rain in five minutes".
    palomine
  • Reply 39 of 53
    moreckmoreck Posts: 187member
    sog35 said:
    The big news?

iOS Light.

When did SJ license the MacOS? I thought it was Gil Amelio, and that SJ ended licensing as soon as he was back at Apple.
    cornchip
  • Reply 40 of 53
    kpluckkpluck Posts: 500member
    It means anyone that hopes Apple will do something about the said state of OS X, its available hardware and their online services will be disappointed.

-kp