iPhone sales fall to 51.2M, Apple earns $50.6B in revenue in disappointing March quarter

Comments

• Reply 21 of 163
    shahhet2shahhet2 Posts: 149member
    atlapple said:
    sog35 said:
    Bought 300 shares at $99. 

May drop even more but does not matter.

I'm holding these suckers for 10+ years.
    Then you have already lost money. You never learn.
    Wait for him to come back saying that I sold for $99 again and bought again at $96.

gatorguy
  • Reply 22 of 163
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    rogifan_new said:

Um, Tim, Wall Street isn't buying your services narrative. Especially since you weren't spinning this narrative when hardware sales weren't missing estimates. Cook needs to find a better narrative fast.
    Tim said: "Our team executed extremely well in the face of strong macroeconomic headwinds,"

Wall Street has been up recently but US consumer confidence is mostly flat to negative. The markets in nearly the entire rest of the world has been down especially Asia, Europe and also currencies with respect to the USD. I can see 
    macroeconomic headwinds as a reasonable explanation for declining CE sales. Hopefully it is a temporary situation although I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Considering the miserable choices of US presidential candidates, things might get worse before they get better.
  • Reply 23 of 163
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,253member
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:
    Disappointing?

Not to me.

Not to anyone who has half a brain.

Of course Apple could not match what they did last year. The iPhone 6 cycle was a once in a decade super cycle.  People were holding off buying iPhones for YEARS waiting for a bigger phone.

You need to compare this years results with the iPhone 5s results in 2014.

In Q2 2014 Apple had $45 billion in revenue.
    In Q2 2016 Apple had $51 billion in revenue.

That is 13% revenue growth

I'm pretty sure I have more than half a brain. Mac and iPad sales both also fell year over year, and by considerable amounts. It's a disappointing quarter.
    187 posts for a member, administrator, moderator, Editors. Where have you been? 

As for this one disappointing quarter, so what? Apple still had great numbers for any company other than itself. It's still doing better than it was two years ago. Investors don't have any brains and neither do analysts. They can only see two inches in front of their face. Any real investor would simply hold onto their stock and wait it out. Wall Street has never been honest about anything so seeing the stock drop doesn't surprise me. I can't wait until it drops further so Apple can buy back as many shares as it can. It's amazing how many websites and analysts Apple keeps in business. I'd rather see Apple go private maybe as something like a co-op; owned by its employees. Of course, if they did, a hella of a lot of websites would have to shut down and there would be a whole lot of analysts out of work. There, that's from someone who does have more than half a brain and sees the glass half full instead of barely having anything in it.
    califastasleeplostkiwipmznetmage
  • Reply 24 of 163
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,069member
    Yeah, $50B sucks.
    baconstanglatifbpchiapmznetmagesteveh
  • Reply 25 of 163
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    nhughes said:
    sog35 said:
    Mac is being canibalzied by iPad and iPhone. Come on dude. Mac is not the future of Apple. Everyone knows PC sales are going into the tank.

iPad is getting canibalized by bigger iPhones.

Just look at total revenue in Q2 2014 vs Q2 2016.

Don't compare Q2 2015. That was an anamoly year.  The iPhone6 had THREE YEARS of pent up demand.  Impossible for Apple to match that.

If you compare 2016 to 2014 Apple grew revenue 12%.  That is not disappointing at all.
    The stock is down more than 7% so far. People (and investors) are disappointed. I'm just covering the news, I don't have a dog in this fight, and I don't own any stock in Apple. Chalk it up to a grand conspiracy where the "media" is out to get Apple if you want, but sales fell for all three major product categories. That's a disappointment.
    FYI, Google also got smashed in their stock price due to a huge miss.
    lostkiwinetmage
  • Reply 26 of 163
    nhughesnhughes Posts: 770editor
    rob53 said:
    nhughes said:
    I'm pretty sure I have more than half a brain. Mac and iPad sales both also fell year over year, and by considerable amounts. It's a disappointing quarter.
    187 posts for a member, administrator, moderator, Editors. Where have you been? 

Well, I'm the managing editor of AppleInsider, so actually I've been writing and editing the news you've been reading here for the last 7 years.

pscooter63techloverslprescottcnocbuipatchythepiratemacky the mackydysamoriadasanman69fastasleepkibitzer
  • Reply 27 of 163
    sog35 said:

THANK YOU APPLE GREAT NEWS: sold my remaining shares 3 weeks ago at $107 I bought those at $90
    I'm waiting till it hits $95 and dollar cost average down if it hits $90

Technically this is a correction, so I think $100 is the resistance which is also the 50MA

I would guess $90 might be support

I also bought May20 $106 PUTS on the QQQs  at 76c last week they are now worth about 94C after this apple news I expect the QQQ to drop even more tomorrow morning at which point I will cash in my puts which should be worth well over a dollar per share

• Reply 28 of 163
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member

volcan said:
    rogifan_new said:

Um, Tim, Wall Street isn't buying your services narrative. Especially since you weren't spinning this narrative when hardware sales weren't missing estimates. Cook needs to find a better narrative fast.
    Tim said: "Our team executed extremely well in the face of strong macroeconomic headwinds,"

Wall Street has been up recently but US consumer confidence is mostly flat to negative. The markets in nearly the entire rest of the world has been down especially Asia, Europe and also currencies with respect to the USD. I can see macroeconomic headwinds as a reasonable explanation for declining CE sales. Hopefully it is a temporary situation although I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Considering the miserable choices of US presidential candidates, things might get worse before they get better.
    Incidentally, both Hillary and Trump are making intimations toward greater US protectionism, so the economic effects by the election of either may be similar.
  • Reply 29 of 163
    atlapple said:
    sog35 said:

No he hasn't - he only loses money when or if he realizes the loss by selling the shares! Shows how much you know about it
    pscooter63baconstangchiadysamorianetmagesteveh
  • Reply 30 of 163
    djsherlydjsherly Posts: 1,031member
    volcan said:
    rogifan_new said:

Wall Street has been up recently but US consumer confidence is mostly flat to negative. The markets in nearly the entire rest of the world has been down especially Asia, Europe and also currencies with respect to the USD. I can see macroeconomic headwinds as a reasonable explanation for declining CE sales. Hopefully it is a temporary situation although I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Considering the miserable choices of US presidential candidates, things might get worse before they get better.
    One problem is pegging the price of devices to the USD in local currencies without any real consideration of the local market.

i bought a fully specced out MB Pro in late 2014 for around 2700 Aud, it went in for service and was replaced with its equivalent 6 months later. Minor spec bump but the new price is 3500aud. During that time the USD appreciated considerably against the Aussie. 

I was happy to pull the trigger at 2700 but 3500 is something else. 

Demand for Apple product is not inelastic. Price is important. 
    cnocbuilostkiwi
  • Reply 31 of 163
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member
    sog35 said:

atlapple said:
    short term fool.

lets see where the stock is in 5 years.

Not a fool, I actually make money when I invest and I never invest based on my blinding love of a company. The reality you shouldn't even be posting on this forum given your blinding lack of insight when it comes to investing. You were suppose to be at 150+ four months ago. Keep up the good work. Now we can all wait for your rant about Apple going private, not that any of us actually believe you bought 300 shares today.
    jonlcnocbuimontrosemacssingularity
  • Reply 32 of 163
    So any thoughts on how low the stock will go?
  • Reply 33 of 163
    schlackschlack Posts: 720member
    their mac and iPad products are a bit stale...no surprise they dropped...and of course they couldn't match the iPhone 6 debut. 7% drop in after market trading is unwarranted...but they will need to kill it with the new macbook pro release, killer iPhone 7 features, and some iPad price drops.
  • Reply 34 of 163
    atlappleatlapple Posts: 496member

shahhet2 said:
    atlapple said:
    Wait for him to come back saying that I sold for $99 again and bought again at $96.

LOL. Followed by the Apple should go private rant.
    jonlsingularity
  • Reply 35 of 163
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    atlapple said:

No he hasn't - he only loses money when or if he realizes the loss by selling the shares! Shows how much you know about it
    Well we don't know for sure what he does, but since AAPL is quite volatile, he could be selling puts and actually making money while still holding his shares or even execute the puts and buy it back for less.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 36 of 163
    It's just hard to argue that the company is firing on all cylinders when all three major product categories are seeing year over year declines. I've been a fervent Apple fan and owner for at least a decade, but I've been seeing so many things since Jobs died that indicate to me that this isn't the same company anymore. So many decisions are marketing driven nowadays, like why I can't get a Macbook with two ports because they don't want it to steal sales from the Macbook Pro, or why I can't still get a computer with user-serviceable parts because then people will spend less on upgrades. These aren't things that benefit the end user. These are things that benefit the bottom line at the expense of the end user. 

Just across the board, this is now a company focussed on making money MORE than it's focussed on making the best products in the world. 
    anantksundaramelijahgelitistsnobjosha
  • Reply 37 of 163
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    Almost 10 minutes into the call and iPad hasn't been mentioned once.
  • Reply 38 of 163
    sockrolidsockrolid Posts: 2,789member
    "Our team executed extremely well in the face of strong macroeconomic headwinds," Apple Chief Executive Tim Cook said.
    Translation: "Blame China."
  • Reply 39 of 163
    croprcropr Posts: 1,125member
    sog35 said:
    nhughes said:
    Mac is being canibalzied by iPad and iPhone.

Mac, iPad and iPhone, all saw a decline, so there is no canibalization. 
    Most probably the iPhone will start climbing again if Apple can deliver an attractive iPhone 7, but I am less optimistic about the Mac and iPad. The iPad Pro is just going nowhere, and the newly announced  Macbook did convince me neither, it is at least 50 % more expensive than its intrinsic value.  And there is still no Macbook Pro with Skylake processor at the horizon, so next quarter won't see an improvement
  • Reply 40 of 163
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    51 millions iPhones in one quarter.  Damn... that's still insane, and the fucking idiots of Wall Street thinks that's a disappointment?  Assholes.  Any other company making phones would sell their first-born for that kind of "disappointment".
    ibillpscooter63baconstangcalilostkiwipmznetmage