Microsoft appears to be copying Apple's 2014 Continuity Handoff feature for Windows PCs

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 33
    MacProMacPro Posts: 19,728member
    I was expecting a detailed defense of this by Gartorguy, then realized ... DUH ...  silly me this is Microsoft not Google.  ;)
  • Reply 22 of 33
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    As usual,... Late to the party.
  • Reply 23 of 33
    geekmeegeekmee Posts: 629member
    ...but still claiming to be the leader of the parade...In the future.
  • Reply 24 of 33
    bkkcanuck said:
    As it is yet an other way of locking people in into the ecosystem I don't get why Apple makes it so hard to use it with older builds of MacBook's and iMacs.
    Continuity / Handoff requires Bluetooth 4 LE (Low Energy) to work.  There are ways to get it to work on older devices, but it requires getting a Bluetooth USB dongle that is compatible with what Macs use and then applying a sort of patch to make it to work.  Basically if they enabled it it would end up draining battery life quickly out of any device using batteries (i.e. everything but a mac mini and mac pro) ....  I think they just figured only supporting Bluetooth 4 LE chipset was probably less confusing.

Agree. Still, on the powered machines I find it a strange.
  • Reply 25 of 33
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,245member
    crowley said:
    Not sure how one toggle switch can be said to be copying.
    Behind that toggle switch are frameworks, libraries and deep integration. It's more than a switch.
  • Reply 26 of 33
    Who the microsoft was?
  • Reply 27 of 33
    “I choose a lazy person to do a hard job. Because a lazy person will find an easy way to do it.”—Bill Gates 

Did Gates really say this? If he did, then this is true to Microsoft’s spirit of laziness.
    edited April 2016
  • Reply 28 of 33
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Apple has always been the standard setter even if it is late.  There is nothing else the other companies can do to compete with Apple except by copying faithfully whatever Apple do. 
  • Reply 29 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    As it is yet an other way of locking people in into the ecosystem I don't get why Apple makes it so hard to use it with older builds of MacBook's and iMacs.
    Hardware. It requires Bluetooth LE due to proximity ranging and power conservation.
  • Reply 30 of 33
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    bkkcanuck said:
    Continuity / Handoff requires Bluetooth 4 LE (Low Energy) to work.  There are ways to get it to work on older devices, but it requires getting a Bluetooth USB dongle that is compatible with what Macs use and then applying a sort of patch to make it to work.  Basically if they enabled it it would end up draining battery life quickly out of any device using batteries (i.e. everything but a mac mini and mac pro) ....  I think they just figured only supporting Bluetooth 4 LE chipset was probably less confusing.

Agree. Still, on the powered machines I find it a strange.
    You're handing off from a mobile device. It needs to have the Bluetooth antenna on all the time for ranging proximity which is Bluetooth LE. So BLE is required on both ends.
  • Reply 31 of 33
    teddy9teddy9 Posts: 3member
    And when small tablets became popular, Apple made small tablets... And when big phones became popular, Apple made big phones... And when pen support became popular, Apple made a 'Pencil'... Bla..bla..bla... Call the cops!
    singularity
  • Reply 32 of 33
    nikon133nikon133 Posts: 2,600member
    Yes, I did until I changed to some older stuff. But this week, or next, my MacBook arrives plus a new iPad mini. Also my Lumia will go to the kids, so the coming weeks I'll be all new and back to Continuity. I can't wait!
    You punishing your kids, or rewarding it? ;)

Just kidding, Lumia user here... for now, at least.
  • Reply 33 of 33
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    crowley said:
    Not sure how one toggle switch can be said to be copying.
    Behind that toggle switch are frameworks, libraries and deep integration. It's more than a switch.
    No shit Sherlock, but since there's no information about those frameworks, libraries and deep integration then nothing can be said with any certainty about whether Microsoft are "copying" anyone, or doing something notably different.

In terms of reportable, verifiable information (unless I've missed something) all that is currently known is that there is a switch.
    singularitygatorguy