Review: Moxiware Apple Pencil Magnet is simple, affordable and functional

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    Jryan01Jryan01 Posts: 3member
    Grimzahn said:
    Broght the sleeve some weeks ago. In general a great gadget. However my Apple Pencil isnt staying in the sleeve. The sleeve is to large, thus the pencil moves easily out of the sleeve.

You can get it back tight by heating it up with a hairdryer.
  • Reply 22 of 35
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,327moderator
    palegolas said:
    I think it's absolutely mysterious that the Apple Pencil doesn't just snap to, and charge from the iPad pro's smart connector. Of course it can't while the cover is connected, but for charging I think it's a very natural place.
    The Smart Connector is recessed and the keyboard cover has pins that stick out:

Those pins would have to go on the pen. They could have a twist action that brings the pins out but it means having holes or splits somewhere on the middle of the pen. Using the Lightning ports lets people use the keyboard while the Pencil is charging.

It may eventually be possible to charge it with magnetic resonance at a short distance:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/wipower
    http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/intel-wants-you-to-live-in-its-wire-free-world-next-year-1303087

The Pencil has a 0.329Wh battery with a 12 hour battery life so it only needs about 0.03W of power. If the charger was in the tip, it can induce a current from behind the display while the Pencil was being used, it could maybe get that much power from the iPad's wifi chip. It wouldn't need as large a battery in it or it can use a capacitor. It would be powered while you were using it so you'd never have to think about charging.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 23 of 35
    jeromecjeromec Posts: 192member
    CelTan said:
    Would be great and would get one, but shipping to europe is more than the actual sleeve...
    I live in Paris, France, Europe, and I just purchased one, and, using the -very- slow shipping option, the total cost, including shipping and taxes, is $23,90.
    Shipping is $6.95, which is quite reasonable. And slow means 10 to 25 days for delivery.

• Reply 24 of 35
    Eric_WVGGEric_WVGG Posts: 968member
    Grimzahn said:
    Broght the sleeve some weeks ago. In general a great gadget. However my Apple Pencil isnt staying in the sleeve. The sleeve is to large, thus the pencil moves easily out of the sleeve. 
    Apparently you can tighten it onto the pencil with a hair dyer.
  • Reply 25 of 35
    wrod59wrod59 Posts: 9member
    I got mine a few days ago and was concern since I have the smart keyboard and back cover.When using the keyboard it is nice to be able to secure the pencil at the of the screen and out of the way. When closed it will secure itself to the keyboard cover around the middle of the cover, Though it is good enough for around the house it is not ideal when traveling because as strong as the connection is it may be more than likely to come off. For traveling I will use the UAG case the has a more secure holder and travel proof case. Overall it doesn't what it states it does, just keep in mind if you use a back cover and smart cover/keyboard you will have to be creative.
    pscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 35
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    razormaid said:
    my desk has a pen & pencil jar. my backpack has pen slots. my satchel has pen slots. I'm really not understanding all the butthurt about there being no where to store the Pencil. how would I be transporting my pro away from my desk without a bag of some sort? sounds like pointless nitpicking to me. 
    I know I shouldn't but if I don't someone else will. LOL 

"My desk has a pen & pencil jar"
    i SERIOUSLY do NOT recommend anyone shoving their $100 Pencil into a pencil jar. That tip it so delicate I would be scared to death of ruining or damaging it or worse it pull off if it caught onto others things in the jar. 

"My my backpack has slots"
    So while working your teammates working on the same project says "I'm not sure. Bring it in and let's take a look at it", (meaning your design and your iPad Pro where your design is on). Rather than clipping it magnetically to the side of the iPad and going down a flight of stairs to the third office on the left, you're going to take your backpack so it can house the pencil on the way because you're taking your coffee with you?

You say we're missing the point, but maybe we're not the ones missing the point? We're just "pointing out" (nice pun huh?) that Apple could have finished the design BEFORE releasing it to the public, rather than try to fix it on Pencil v.2 (which you know they will)

just sayin'...

your scenarios are nonsense. my backpack is for extended travel outside the office. you know, like a laptop bag. my satchel is for jaunts to the coffeshop. and going down the hall to a colleague's? gee, thats what pockets or hands are for.

how do you do it today with a notepad and pen? are you paralyzed with fear every time you walk over to a co-worker's? or do you just grab it in your hand and walk over...then walk back and set your stuff back down on your desk...

this is not a real world problem. its a problem for complainers looking to nitpick and re-enforcement their silly narrative about nothing being good anymore. it's a psychosis. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 27 of 35
    Eric_WVGG said:
    my desk has a pen & pencil jar. my backpack has pen slots. my satchel has pen slots.
    Mine don't. Do you think everyone has the same crap you do?

anyway, I have friend with one of these, typically leaves the pencil stuck to the back of his keyboard case. I borrowed it for a figure drawing class one night, worked great. The white color goes dirty after a while but imho it's an authentic, "this is a real organic thing I use every day" kind of patina, and it feels even nicer in hand than the slick shiny pencil material. 
    if you cant afford to outfit your desk w/ a standard pen & pencil jar, i dont know what to say... keep plugging away, man, youll make it one day.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    mac_128 said:

While I don't agree with allegations of design "flaws", the fact is, I am on my second pencil.  Somewhere along the way, I broke my cardinal rule of where it should "live" while offsite (either in my line of sight, or in a specific pocket in my Victorinox tablet case).

The first will eventually show itself, at which time I'll consider it my backup; in the meantime, I'll see if this $20 piece of insurance helps.

Exactly. It's too bad we can't all be as "perfect" as some of the others posting comments on this thread.
    its not about being perfect. its about being a sensible person. designers & architects have had expensive pencils for decades -- they got along fine with the storage devices already mentioned.

but its a moot point -- id bet a dozen donuts you dont even own an iPP let alone the Pencil. amirite?
  • Reply 29 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    Jryan01 said:
    Grimzahn said:

You can get it back tight by heating it up with a hairdryer.

Have you tried it? It seems to me that heating this might shrink it too much. If you do it with the pen inside, the heat might damage the pen.
  • Reply 30 of 35

Marvin said:
    palegolas said:
    I think it's absolutely mysterious that the Apple Pencil doesn't just snap to, and charge from the iPad pro's smart connector. Of course it can't while the cover is connected, but for charging I think it's a very natural place.
    The Smart Connector is recessed and the keyboard cover has pins that stick out:

Those pins would have to go on the pen. They could have a twist action that brings the pins out but it means having holes or splits somewhere on the middle of the pen. Using the Lightning ports lets people use the keyboard while the Pencil is charging.

It may eventually be possible to charge it with magnetic resonance at a short distance:

https://www.qualcomm.com/products/wipower
    http://www.techradar.com/news/computing/intel-wants-you-to-live-in-its-wire-free-world-next-year-1303087

The Pencil has a 0.329Wh battery with a 12 hour battery life so it only needs about 0.03W of power. If the charger was in the tip, it can induce a current from behind the display while the Pencil was being used, it could maybe get that much power from the iPad's wifi chip. It wouldn't need as large a battery in it or it can use a capacitor. It would be powered while you were using it so you'd never have to think about charging.

They could use a sliding action which would raise the pins out of the side. That's assuming that there's room inside the pen for the connector and mechanism to raise it. One annoying thing is that as I don't use the pen constantly, I get a warning that the pen has only 5% battery life left. That's even if I have fully charged it and not used it for a couple of days. Seeing how this uses lithium batteries, the circuit must always be on, sucking power. It would be good if there was a sensor that determined whether the pen was being held, such as an accelerometer. The batteries should last much longer if not being used.
  • Reply 31 of 35
    razormaid said:
    my desk has a pen & pencil jar. my backpack has pen slots. my satchel has pen slots. I'm really not understanding all the butthurt about there being no where to store the Pencil. how would I be transporting my pro away from my desk without a bag of some sort? sounds like pointless nitpicking to me. 
    I know I shouldn't but if I don't someone else will. LOL 

"My desk has a pen & pencil jar"
    i SERIOUSLY do NOT recommend anyone shoving their $100 Pencil into a pencil jar. That tip it so delicate I would be scared to death of ruining or damaging it or worse it pull off if it caught onto others things in the jar. 

"My my backpack has slots"
    So while working your teammates working on the same project says "I'm not sure. Bring it in and let's take a look at it", (meaning your design and your iPad Pro where your design is on). Rather than clipping it magnetically to the side of the iPad and going down a flight of stairs to the third office on the left, you're going to take your backpack so it can house the pencil on the way because you're taking your coffee with you?

You say we're missing the point, but maybe we're not the ones missing the point? We're just "pointing out" (nice pun huh?) that Apple could have finished the design BEFORE releasing it to the public, rather than try to fix it on Pencil v.2 (which you know they will)

just sayin'...

It's not that delicate. While I don't recommend using it for dart practice, putting it in a Pencil jar isn't going to hurt it. But nolamacguy is right, most things do have a Pencil slot of some kind. Even if they don't, there's always some way to keep this. I've got mechanical pencils that are very expensive. Some of them don't have a pocket clip. Why, I don't know, but I've managed to never lose one. Why? Because I'm careful with small expensive tools.

but there are pen clips that work with this, if you look around. Some cheap pens come with slide on clips that are the proper size.
  • Reply 32 of 35
    I bought Moxiware Apple Pencil magnet for i think 6 months ago. At first, it's great! My pencil get stick and fitted in it but now, it's loosening. Pencil easily slip from the holder. It's really annoying.. 
    mike manzano
  • Reply 33 of 35
    zurichsoe said:
    I bought Moxiware Apple Pencil magnet for i think 6 months ago. At first, it's great! My pencil get stick and fitted in it but now, it's loosening. Pencil easily slip from the holder. It's really annoying.. 
    I have to second this. It was great but now it's gotten loose. This is why Apple probably decided not to make a Pencil case like this. Great concept, but terrible execution.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 34 of 35
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    palegolas said:
    Agreed. One of Apple's strengths has been that they usually think through the tiniest of details to make the product and service experience easy and convenient. The Apple Pencil on its own is an interesting product, however it evidently never went through any real-world testing to see what were any drawbacks when a person who owns an iPad and a Pencil uses them during an average day. I've got a bloody large bag I have to carry around now to haul around all of my cables, connectors, iPads, Pencil, etc. How about a simple pen loop, like the kind you'd find on the average (or above average) notebook pads?
  • Reply 35 of 35
    Why didn’t they just make the sleeve magnetic? That would have been a better design move instead of having some stupid thing sticking out one side.