Apple releases iTunes 12.4 with redesigned interface, fixes bugs in OS X 10.11.5

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    dacloodacloo Posts: 890member
  • Reply 22 of 32
    palomine said:
    Hey, if Apple has updated all this major software now, what does that leave for the Developers Conference (WWDC) in June?? Just wondering
    Who cares. They have stopped making quality original software. This iTunes crap makeover solves No actual problems and the flipping solution is the deployment of it's too many branches into separate apps and demote syncing since only old people do that or have time for thier shifty lightening to transfer when the whole to the right is thunderbolt 2
  • Reply 23 of 32
    Merge iOS and macOS or blend more significantly on the iPad Pro since 10 people bought one and iOS isn't adequate or professional yet. I'm not saying make a Mac but perhaps an Apple TV sized mini mac replacement run in ARM and in tandem the pro could be the small enough yet informative platform to both support and promote ARM chips in house into a real machine underpowered but foundational to experiment and I'm sorry but how many times do I have to touch my MacBook screen before Apple gives in and passes consistent tech equally across its machines. Stop with the crappy air screens. Build a monitor that isn't a 1000 and ditch the OSX branding. They need to pivot away from the phone and use that money for bigger more ambitious stuff. Wall Street would see this company tank before succeed and Apple leaving money on the table for arbitrary mostly paranoid secrecy is worse than what Wall Street thinks. 

Its fundamental. 

They sell stuff. They sell their own stuff. The Mac needs some love, the iMac should be redesigned because it's time and that's what Apple does and they bombed with this Apple TV on purpose, they don't support thier own peripherals across multi OS and that's not smart and doesn't sell anything. People don't buy 100$ pencils. Yes it's magic. No it's not worth a 100 when you've paid 1000 on an iPad that has not been supported in the same way or speed than any other iPad iteration.

there making stupid short sighted sales based marketing choices that support undisclosed non public facts relating to thier internal r and d, hardware selection process and instead we get 3D Touch and peek and pop instead of an actual feature supported by hardware that actually solves a problem

Theyre a public company and get away with Murder relating to its tax structure, product disclosure in the name of Surprise! Or there sales numbers. On a public earnings call they dodge actual watch sales numbers and no one says anything? 

Hubris makes a PC not a Mac. Vanity and Status make a Mac. They simply aren't as useful as a Windows machine because there are so little of them in comparison crap or not and they could more aggressively market the Mac but the ones that are sold run superior and when running Windows in boot camp Windows 10 is kinda cute surprisingly and pretty great when running a AAA game like GTA V. 

The 27 inch iMac is under marketed and could be sold as an entry level gaming PC, and boot camp should be promoted inside the OS and leveraged to sell machines to low hanging fruit

not for nothing live pictures are cool but they've never changed a life and already existed - the .gif

the ads that were made to sell this non feature remain unsupported on most social platforms 
  • Reply 24 of 32
    wonkothesanewonkothesane Posts: 1,727member
    slurpy said:
    Any idea if the el cap update fixes the slowdown issues with the early 2015 rMBP?

http://wccftech.com/system-freezes-hit-os-x-el-capitan-10-11-4-on-macbook-pro/

Just as I assumed, ONE video was posted from a macrumors member, which macrumors pushed over and over again into trollish, clickbait threads, and which has since been spammed to every tech blog on the internet, which of course everyone jumping on the bandwagon, and posted in the threads either lying about having the same issue, or just piling on in order to bash and troll Apple. Macrumors has made an art out of magnifying and spamming the garbage posted by its resident trolls and making them into headline news, blowing everything out of context and throwing facts to the wind. 

I have the 2015 MBP in question, which I heavily use for 10+ hrs a day, in dozens of applications, running 10.11.4, and I can't remember the last time I had a hard crash. But hey, I guess I must have that one magical model that isn't affected. 

And what? Does all the trash on MR make the issue I observed here a lie? While I understand that you want to "protect" this site being one of the last resorts for constructive discussions around Apple, skewing this towards the other extreme in an overblown manner, in which "thou shall not criticize your God or report issues", then it is by no means better than MR.

As said before, the issue became apparent on our machine in question right after installing the final 10.11.4. It disappeared when rolling back to 10.11.3. Googling, yes, I admit, I found other reports that just might indicate a pattern (and actually I found them in my country; I just used the link above as the official language here is english), hence pointing to a potential bug in the system software, not just a local file corruption issue, or similar. Subsequently reaching out for information on 10.11.5, as my wife is hesitant to update her machine from 10.11.3.

So, all green on your screen then?

Thank you.
  • Reply 25 of 32

Any idea if the el cap update fixes the slowdown issues with the early 2015 rMBP?

I use the 15" one, never encountered such an issue on both 10.11.4 and 10.11.5. Every system upgrade slows down any Mac for a while because of some ongoing maintenance. For example the Spotlight index is rebuilt, things like that... So do not temper with your machine, be patient. If you're too curious, press Command-spacebar, type Activity Monitor and press return. Activity Monitor will show you which processes consume CPU. Although these mean nothing to us mere mortals, you may still get an idea and be convinced that your machine duly performs some jobs...
    Thanks for some constructive feedback here. I am aware of spotlight indexing slowing down your machine, and use Activity monitor frequently in case I observe an unusual slowdown. Unfortunately, those slowdowns appears instantly and the machine became unresponsive to the point of just the cursor moving. Any clicks would take up "forever" before being actually executed. After reading that I might not be alone with this topic, in this case, I did not dive deeper but simply went back to the previous OS version restoring everything to normality.
  • Reply 26 of 32

You need to get your story straight.  Your link refers to system freezes, not slowdowns.  Those are two different things.  Second, the article quotes one person who was running the BETA version and then updated to the final version and claimed problems.  Perhaps the problem lies in the fact that they were using a beta version of OS X, then tried updating to a final version.  They also claim this problem affects 15" Mid-2015 users.  Wrong.  I have a 15" Mid-2015 retina MacBook Pro and it has never frozen or slowed down with any version of El Capitan.  I also never run a beta version.  Their problem could be related to using beta software and then trying to update to a final version instead of doing a clean install of the final version, eliminating all traces of the beta, which is always the preferred method.

Instead of asking others, why don't you install it yourself and discover that your MacBook Pro never freezes or slows down?  I assume you are not using a beta version.  If it does, then restore it back to an earlier version.  You do have a backup, don't you?
    As described above, I think technically it is a slowdown, but if any input takes up to several minutes before a perceptible feedback (such as menu dropping down) occurs then for me this is close to a freeze. And no, it was not a BETA. Those only go not my personal machines, this is my wife's machine we are talking about. And as said before, neither of the other two machines exhibited such a behavior, not even on any BETA. Hence my surprise. And I would like to install it, but my wife is hesitant after this particular experience. Understandable, as it is a machine used for working, no? And yes, we DO have backups and went back to 10.11.3, immediately killing the issue.

'By the way, sometimes such indeed things do turn out to be related to specific software/hardware versions. Latest example is my iPhone SE which through 93.2 received a BT update eliminating an issue I had with bluetooth in the car. I only learned through reading here about this being an actual issues fixed by Apple. 
  • Reply 27 of 32
    There's apparently a bug in 12.4 and smart playlists: If you've noticed that several of your playlists are missing, they might have been changed into "podcast playlists", to fix that, click on the arrow next to "Music Playlists" and it will change into "All Playlists" and everything will be shown. From there, you can edit your smart playlists and change the incorrect "Match [podcasts] with..." back to "Match [music] with..."
    jonl
  • Reply 28 of 32
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    lkrupp said:

If you read it on the Internet I guess it must be true, right?
    In the last two weeks I have had my MBPR lock up twice, requiring a hard boot, something I used to get a lot after downgrading to Mavericks.
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 29 of 32
    cnocbui said:
    lkrupp said:

If you read it on the Internet I guess it must be true, right?
    In the last two weeks I have had my MBPR lock up twice, requiring a hard boot, something I used to get a lot after downgrading to Mavericks.
    If you're the kind of person who usually downgrades just because, then...
  • Reply 30 of 32
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    cnocbui said:
    If you're the kind of person who usually downgrades just because, then...
    Installing Mavericks was a downgrade, I was coming from Mountain Lion.
    wonkothesane
  • Reply 31 of 32
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Ugh, they replaced the one-click Media Kind buttons with a two-click Menu.  Annoying.

Aaaaaand my Movie and TV playlists have disappeared.  Great.