Google I/O 2016: Android's failure to innovate hands Apple free run at WWDC

1235»

Comments

• Reply 81 of 94
    The is probably one of the worst articles i have every read. Here are a few highlights from real news stories with real facts: May 2016 - Android roars back in strongest growth in two years, as iOS shrinks. Android's market share increased 7.1 per cent across Europe in the first three months of the year, where it now holds 75.6 per cent of the market to Apple's 18.9 per cent, which fell from 20.2 per cent. May 2016 - Google's low-cost Chromebooks outsold Apple's range of Macs for the first time in the US recently. While IDC doesn't typically break out Windows vs. Chromebook sales, IDC analyst Linn Huang confirmed the milestone to The Verge. "Chrome OS overtook Mac OS in the US in terms of shipments for the first time in 1Q16," says Huang. May 2016 - Google parent company Alphabet took over the title of world’s most valuable company late Thursday after Apple’s stock took a dip on fears of lackluster iPhone sales. With its share price ending the day at $90.32, Apple’s market cap fell to $494.8 billion, right behind Alphabet’s $499.9 billion. March 2016 - Google’s Chromecast was the most popular streaming device sold last year, according to a new report from Strategy Analytics. The device’s sales made up 35 percent of the 42 million streaming devices that were purchased in 2015. Not to mention the wildly successful gmail, youtube, google search business. Yes googles is in shambles.
    singularity
  • Reply 82 of 94
    Herbivore2Herbivore2 Posts: 367member
    cropr said:
    Google's mortal threat isn't Apple. It's actually Amazon that poses a far greater threat. With Amazon dominating e-commerce and continuing to gain marketshare, Google becomes ever more dependent on the online retailer. All it would take to decimate Google's ad revenues would be for Amazon to decide they no longer need Google search. Google is trouble anyhow as more and more Amazon's sales move to their own smartphone app anyhow. It is actually far more of a hassle to search the web for a product and then be directed to Amazon rather than going to the Amazon app in the first place. While other companies may beat Amazon on price, they don't offer free 2 day shipping as a member. They also don't offer Amazon's media library as a prime member and no one makes a voice assistant comparable to Alexa. And Google is making a half-hearted effort to copy it with Google Home. It's just far easier to just launch the Amazon app, find the product and press one click. Easy and done with the item on my doorstep in 2 days. There is no need for Google search. 

Google needs to move smartphone users back to text entered web based search, but failing. And they are failing miserably, especially on iOS where much of the potential revenue base is. 

Google's AI will fail as their search based Ad revenues dry up. Amazon doesn't need Google's AI algorithms to determine consumer preferences as they have their own hard numbers of the sales data. Google desperately needs someone, anyone to establish real competition for Amazon. Since Bezos is laser focused and continuing to win greater amounts of online sales, Google is in major trouble. 

Samsung will usurp Android. It's inevitable as Amazon eviscerates Google. It's only a matter of time now. 

It didn't have to end this way. Google was too afraid to turn to the direct sales model of actually charging for Android, maps, etc. They saw everything through the prism of selling advertisements to their user base. They never saw anyone swooping in and capturing that user base directly and with direct access to the userbase, Google as the "middleman" is literally being cut out of the deal. 

Amazon has captured the userbase that conducts most of the online purchases. The terrifying aspect for Google is that Amazon no longer needs to pay for search ads. It's actually been some time since I made an Amazon purchase through Google search.

That's a serious problem for Google going forward.

Getting their spyware installed on iOS won't change the situation they're in. And if they haven't figured that one out, their best and brightest are failing spectacularly, far more so than would appear to the public and many of the Google apologists who regularly visit this forum. 

It's really now only a matter of time before the company fails in substantial fashion. They have only a single major revenue stream and unable to diversify. Things are looking dire. They are rapidly running out of time. 
    Yeah Google is doomed because Amazon will blow it away, and Amazon is doomed because Apple will blow it away and Apple is doomed because Google will blow it away, or did I miss something??

Companies don't crash that fast.  One example:  the market share of Android grew 7% in Q1 2016 in the top 5 European countries;  2.6% of that gain came from customers switching from iOS switching to Android.  The market share of iOS is in these 5 countries just below 20%, meaning that 1 out of 8 iOS users switched to Android in 3 months time (and that is a lot).  So Apple is doomed!  No, because Apple will react to such situations by launching new product and services.  Of course if this situation remains unaddressed for a long time, Apple will indeed suffer

The same is happening with Google vs Amazon.  If the Google search business is really threatened by Amazon, Google will react.  But currently Google has not to fear Amazon: Google is a global company, while the international presence of Amazon is very poor.
    Uh, Google's presence outside of the United States isn't all that great either. 

Though the Chinese use Android, it is a forked version and Google Play is not installed. Google is not present for search and Google makes no profit in China. 

It's not like Google is able to make much in the cost conscious Indian market and Google is going to be fined heavily by the Europeans for their business practices. 

Perhaps Google is going to make up for the loss of Amazon's ad revenues by selling to Central and South American businesses!!

Let's get real here. Amazon is going to market directly to the customer. They no longer "need" Google search to direct the customer to the Amazon web site. 

The loss of Amazon's advertising revenues will be a major body blow to Google. And as the rest of the market that sells goods and services realizes that they no longer need to spend on search results or ads provided by Google, it is going to be a very bad day for the company in Mountain View. Much of the user base is moving to the use of apps. 

Just take 2 steps back and take an objective look at the company. 

What is Google's true focus? Are they competing with Samsung? If not, then why produce the Nexus? Perhaps Amazon and AWS are the real focus for the cloud. But then what of Chrome? Does it compete with Microsoft Edge or Apple's Safari? Hold on, search needs to stay ahead of Microsoft's Bing. Wait a minute here, Android has to displace iOS. Hold on there, Pichai just announced Google home to take on Amazon's Echo! But no, Google is taking on IBM's Watson with their own AI. But then why is Google trying to also take on Intel with OpenPower?!? But it doesn't end, Google tried to take on the Amazon marketplace with Froogle and take on Facebook with Google+. And it goes on, with Google trying to displace Apple maps!!!

Seriously here, Google has a gigantic case of corporate ADHD! 

They essentially have one source of profit. Text entered search based ads. And instead of producing a product like the Echo, they produce AlphaGo consuming a million watts just to beat someone at a game. Amazon gets the first mover advantage in a major new category of product. A product that Steve Wozniak raves over, by the way. And a product that removes people even further from web based search. And Google's response? Another product called Google home to take on Echo with Alexa. 

Well, the Google apologists are now moving from anger onto the second stage of grief, known as anger. The bargaining stage will come soon. 
    Dan_DilgerbrucemcDan Andersen
  • Reply 83 of 94
    Dan_DilgerDan_Dilger Posts: 1,583member
    The is probably one of the worst articles i have every read. Here are a few highlights from real news stories with real facts: May 2016 - Android roars back in strongest growth in two years, as iOS shrinks. Android's market share increased 7.1 per cent across Europe in the first three months of the year, where it now holds 75.6 per cent of the market to Apple's 18.9 per cent, which fell from 20.2 per cent.

No where does the article say that android does not lead in share. What's important, though, is that Android's share is the least attractive segment of the market. That's why Google is trying to get its apps on iOS, but Apple is making no effort to move its apps to Android apart from Apple Music.

May 2016 - Google's low-cost Chromebooks outsold Apple's range of Macs for the first time in the US recently. While IDC doesn't typically break out Windows vs. Chromebook sales, IDC analyst Linn Huang confirmed the milestone to The Verge. "Chrome OS overtook Mac OS in the US in terms of shipments for the first time in 1Q16," says Huang. May 2016 -

Chromebook's cost $200-350. MacBooks cost on average $1200. The vast majority of ChromeBook share has been to U.S. Edu, with a value of less than $300 million (split up among all ChromeOS netbook makers), vs Apple's US Mac revenues of about $1.4 billion. So again, who is winning? Google effectively makes nothing from ChromeOS sales. It's still waiting for Chrome to catch on.

Google parent company Alphabet took over the title of world’s most valuable company late Thursday after Apple’s stock took a dip on fears of lackluster iPhone sales. With its share price ending the day at $90.32, Apple’s market cap fell to $494.8 billion, right behind Alphabet’s $499.9 billion.

Even at Apple's current stock dip (which is irrational), Apple is valued today at $534b and Google $492. That's lower. Twice this year Alphabet has blown past Apple momentarily, but Apple has typically been ahead by around $100 billion. So you're really cherry picking days to make a point that is not even currently true.

March 2016 - Google’s Chromecast was the most popular streaming device sold last year, according to a new report from Strategy Analytics. The device’s sales made up 35 percent of the 42 million streaming devices that were purchased in 2015. Not to mention the wildly successful gmail, youtube, google search business. Yes googles is in shambles.

Chromecast is ~$35. That's another example of desperation, not success. How many projects has Google given up on because its not making any money? 

Dan Andersencali
  • Reply 84 of 94
    Am I reading this right? The most dominant operating system on the planet, that is primed and ready to take over the world anytime now, is a failure?
    blitz2
  • Reply 85 of 94
    BaronBaron Posts: 3member
    peteo said:
    Does anyone have solid, common, ongoing uses for VR? It gives good demo, but unlike voice UX or even AR, VR seems to be about a decade too soon.
    Yes games. With room scale and motion controls there's no going back to flat games for me. Also there are allot of great experiences that you only would run maybe 2-3 times. which is fine. Its like going to another country, most you only visit once or twice in a life time.

100% worth it for me, but to get to main stream price needs to come down. Playstation VR price is getting close.. 
    There's not even one decent game for VR except some simple visual impressions. If you know anything about VR, you will understand that real VR games post major challenges even to high-end desktops. The idea of running VR games on any mobile platform is simple irresponsible. It doesn't work now, and never will work.

No top gaming company has real initiative in VR games now, coz they know the hardware is just not their yet.  VR is just an hyper by tech companies running out of hyper.
    cali
  • Reply 86 of 94
    gatorguy said:
    vvswarup said:
    Sure, games are definitely an application of VR but in order to provide a good gaming experience, the phone needs to have good internals. I don't think low-end Android devices are going to cut it. You have manufacturers trying to make a profit in a price-conscious market. There's little motivation for manufacturers operating in this kind of a market to use high-quality components needed to provide a good gaming experience. 

Google's business model is based on driving people towards Google services in order to generate ad revenue. It makes no difference to Google if a user owns a low-end or high-end Android phone as long as they're using Google's services. If that's the case, what incentive does Google have to make high-end devices a priority in order to drive the use of a VR feature?
    1. For a good user experience, keeping them in the fold.
    2. Google is trying to gradually wean itself from so heavy a reliance on ad revenue. 
    1. If the history taught us anything,  Google never really cares about user experience, so long it doesn't hurt their ads business. Or, they would have never developed 5 chat apps at once. And product like Google glass will never reach beta phase, not to mention actually on sale. 
    2. Ads count over 95% of google's revenue while google's other business never ever post any profit (net loss until 2016 Q1). 
    williamlondonDan Andersencali
  • Reply 87 of 94
    whoa thats a long article to read but worth it
    potatoleeksoupcali
  • Reply 88 of 94
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Am I reading this right? The most dominant operating system on the planet, that is primed and ready to take over the world anytime now, is a failure?
    you must be joking. it can't take over anything if the suppliers utilizing it can't make any money with it. most of androids market share come from cheap Asian clones, making it useless in the capacity you're trying to paint it in. 
    williamlondonDan Andersencali
  • Reply 89 of 94
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Baron said:
    peteo said:
    Yes games. With room scale and motion controls there's no going back to flat games for me. Also there are allot of great experiences that you only would run maybe 2-3 times. which is fine. Its like going to another country, most you only visit once or twice in a life time.

100% worth it for me, but to get to main stream price needs to come down. Playstation VR price is getting close.. 
    There's not even one decent game for VR except some simple visual impressions. If you know anything about VR, you will understand that real VR games post major challenges even to high-end desktops. The idea of running VR games on any mobile platform is simple irresponsible. It doesn't work now, and never will work.

No top gaming company has real initiative in VR games now, coz they know the hardware is just not their yet.  VR is just an hyper by tech companies running out of hyper.
    nonsense. John Carmark, the greatest game programmer that ever lived, left his own company (id) to go work for Occulus. VR gaming is happening. 

and like other computing, it will come to the mobile computers in our pockets one day. the fact that Grand Theft Auto 3 runs on an iPhone is all the proof of that you should need. history is your guide. 
    edited May 2016
  • Reply 90 of 94
    Baron said:

nonsense. John Carmark, the greatest game programmer that ever lived, left his own company (id) to go work for Occulus. VR gaming is happening. 

and like other computing, it will come to the mobile computers in our pockets one day. the fact that Grand Theft Auto 3 runs on an iPhone is all the proof of that you should need. history is your guide. 
    i disagree. Mobile platform is way too cheap build for actual VR games. It overheats even after running some simple footages. 

Don't get overconfident in the semcon industry. Mole's law is over. I am in the industry. So I am pretty confident that the mobile platform will never catch up with the requirement of very old AAA games, let alone VR games. GTA3 is a 2001 game. And even that is modified to mobile platform to minimize the overheat problem. 
  • Reply 91 of 94
    KopusKopus Posts: 2member
    Funny thing is, everytime, by just looking at the title I would know this article is written by Daniel. This just says how opinionated this is.

I'm an Apple fan and put money where my mouth is. But it's getting exhausting to see one-sided argument again and again and again.

If you cannot ignore Google, there is something to be respected.
    singularityblitz2staticx57
  • Reply 92 of 94
    "How much sincerity is felt in a conversation where one person hits the suggested "I love you" bubble and then receives a canned "I love you too" in response, knowing it involved tapping the bubble Allo suggested?" Sounds like a typical Google engineer solution, faux sincerity.
    cali
  • Reply 93 of 94
    Kopus said:
    Funny thing is, everytime, by just looking at the title I would know this article is written by Daniel. This just says how opinionated this is.

I'm an Apple fan and put money where my mouth is. But it's getting exhausting to see one-sided argument again and again and again.

If you cannot ignore Google, there is something to be respected.

It's clearly a DED piece, but it only appears that way because of Apple's perpetual underdog impression that Silicon Valley nerds and Wall Street traders have.
    Dan Andersencali