AppleInsider podcast talks MacBook Pro rumors & 5K displays, plus a chat with August Home

Posted:
in General Discussion edited April 2017
August.com CEO Jason Johnson joins the AppleInsider podcast to talk about HomeKit, door locks, video doorbells, and their recent announcement adding IFTTT integration. In addition, Mikey Campbell and Victor discuss the latest in rumors, including new MacBook Pros, 5K Thunderbolt displays, and 'iPhone 7' refresh cycle.
August Home CEO Jason Johnson and Victor discuss:
  • August Lock
  • The different home platforms (Amazon Echo, Nest, HomeKit, Insteon+, IFTTT)
  • August's philosophy on how to integrate these devices into your life
  • What August device you should buy first
  • August's new integration with IFTTT
AppleInsider editors Mikey Campbell and Victor Marks chat about:
  • Rumored MacBook Pro with OLED touch display on the keyboard
  • The 5K Thunderbolt Display rumor
  • Apple rumored to change the iPhone release cycle to a 3 year refresh
  • Lightning to headphone adapters begin to surface
The show is available on iTunes and your favorite podcast apps by searching for "AppleInsider." Click here to listen, subscribe, and don't forget to rate our show.
Listen to the embedded SoundCloud feed below:
The show is also available on Stitcher Radio. Show note links: Follow our hosts on Twitter: @mikeycampbell81 and @vmarks. Feedback and comments are always appreciated. Please contact the AppleInsider podcast at [email protected] and follow us on Twitter @appleinsider, plus Facebook and Instagram. Those interested in sponsoring the show can reach out to us at [email protected].

Comments

• Reply 1 of 5
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why do they call it "Apple HomeKit"?

i thought HomeKit would be the developer kit and Home the consumer product. Like HealthKit and the Health app. 
  • Reply 2 of 5
    slprescottslprescott Posts: 765member
    Thank you for inviting Jason Johnson to speak. Many have been disappointed by the slow rollout of HomeKit and associated devices, so it's interesting to hear the perspective of someone who plays a big roll in this space.
  • Reply 3 of 5
    OllyJOllyJ Posts: 4member
    "Tumored MacBook Pro with OLED touch display on the keyboard" ? Might be a typo there. . . I hope there's a typo there.
  • Reply 4 of 5
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    The conversation with the CEO of August was good and they kind of touched on key issue with home automation, how do you automate around multiply people in the same house. How do you not turn off lights, turn up or down the temp in the house or lock someone in or out when others are still in the house doing things. Who is the master of the house and can control things and how do to take in to consideration what others may be doing at any given time. Most of what exists out their today works great with one people living in a house, start adding others and automation goes out the door, it is better to let people do things manually or face a pissed off wife.
  • Reply 5 of 5
    Hi guys, I really like your podcasts and I listen to them every week, but I just wanted to say that it's got a bit annoying the continuous bickering between Victor and Mikey - and that they continuously talk over each other. It would be great if that stopped! Cheers! Pablo.