Samsung may launch two bendable smartphones with OLED screens in 2017

Comments

• Reply 41 of 66
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    Kawhi said:
    This is just a gimmick until Apple does it right? Just like the edge screen that is rumored for the 2017 iPhone.
    It's a gimmick if its a shit implementation, like the god damn S7 phone. Thanks for playing bud.
  • Reply 42 of 66
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,212member
    igorsky said:
    Anyone who buys any gen 1 product from Samsung is a moron, no offense. Especially a gen 1 product that they haven't copied off of anyone yet.
    This isn't anywhere close--if ever--to being a product. It's a controlled media leak, designed to bolster Samsung's image ahead of what the company anticipates will be an impressive WWDC. Apple doesn't do this kind of sh~t, but it's SOP for Samsung. For many years, Samsung has held up OLED panels as a major distinguishing feature of its smartphones. Soon Apple will be selling OLED iPhones--with highly effective AR coatings (like the smaller iPad Pro) and color that isn't blown out for the sake of appealing to children. Fold that up, Samsung, and put it where the sun don't shine.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 43 of 66
    Eventually this will get solved and I can see some pretty interesting use cases.

In all these comments, though, no one is going to comment on the idiotic concept video whose whole premise is, "Hey, if you want to get a date with a hottie at the coffee shop, show her your totally 'cool' bendable Samsung phone"?  Note how she holds it up to her ear to demonstrate the amazing ability to talk, you know, on a phone.  Clearly any woman would be impressed with this technology, so every man should buy it.

Samsung marketing has apparently not learned their lesson, first two results from https://www.google.com/search?q=samsung+sexist+marketing:

http://www.cnet.com/news/samsung-gs4-launch-tone-deaf-and-shockingly-sexist/

https://consumerist.com/2014/04/03/samsung-needs-to-stop-with-the-sexist-marketing-already/

• Reply 44 of 66
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    geekmee said:
    Samsung is still throwing '_hit' against the wall.
    Yeah, natural selection is a joke, nothing good ever came of it.
  • Reply 45 of 66
    ericthehalfbeeericthehalfbee Posts: 4,488member
    Remember when Apple updated the iPad Air 2 display (I think they laminated it) such that when you typed on it you no longer had that funny "thud" feeling/sound?

Just imagine how crappy this is going to feel. There's no way (within reason) you could ever make the two halves stay locked together in such a way that it feels like a single unit. So when you touch the screen the entire device is going to feel flimsy/cheap. Especially where the display bends, as it will be impossible to provide any stiffness or support to this area.
  • Reply 46 of 66
    anton zuykovanton zuykov Posts: 1,056member
    Will bring a whole new chapter to bendgate if they get it wrong.
    It is a well known fact that It is only applicable to Apple.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 47 of 66
    palegolaspalegolas Posts: 1,361member
    I kind of like the concept, but there has to be a big battery to run a big display like that. But perhaps with future OLED they can run from a small battery. And the construction needs to be super solid, with an intelligently designed hinge around where it bends, that turns into a supporting back when it's unfolded. This particular concept looks like it hasn't solved any of that. But it'll be really magic once this works!
  • Reply 48 of 66
    poksipoksi Posts: 482member
    I guess we shall soon get Galaxy Cone with latest Android Ice Cream Scoop preloaded...
  • Reply 49 of 66
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Unrealistic and impractical. Tell me the candy bar phone from the second guy is even possible for batteries to operate the machanism for rolling the screen. What is the point of the folding phone? You get half size at twice thickness? The more parts move, the quicker they will break. Folding screen will snap the screen in half soon.
  • Reply 50 of 66
    1983 said:
    If they do release something like this, and its good. There going to steal Apple's thunder in 2017. A flexible smartphone that goes from a 5" S7 like device to an 8" tablet would be very useful...and king of the gadgets!
    King of POS gadget, and half assed implemetation : yep they'll be right up there.

You do know how physics work... There is no such material that will last without hinges right now (not even talking about OLED here) : NONE.

Good that your cheering crap days are not over though: good for you.
    ericthehalfbee
  • Reply 51 of 66
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    foggyhill said:
    Kawhi said:
    This is just a gimmick until Apple does it right? Just like the edge screen that is rumored for the 2017 iPhone.
    It's a gimmick if its a shit implementation, like the god damn S7 phone. Thanks for playing bud.

Are Apple doing an "Edge" screen? Hadn't heard that one. Sounds like something someone put on their imaginary list of unannounced features rather than something they would actually do.

Still, if they do add one to the iPhone 7, I'm guessing it won't be upside down.

• Reply 52 of 66
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    The big question is...

How many bends ddoes it take for the bit that bends to work harden and crack/split/just stop working

I'm guessing the frame / brace along the top edge probably keeps it from making a hard bend and keeps it in the shape of a soft loop so it never really creases.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 53 of 66
    command_fcommand_f Posts: 423member
    OK, someone has to say this: Bendy phones, it's just Samsung copying Apple again.

;) 

singularity
  • Reply 54 of 66
    techlovertechlover Posts: 879member
    The big question is...

How many bends ddoes it take for the bit that bends to work harden and crack/split/just stop working

I'm guessing the frame / brace along the top edge probably keeps it from making a hard bend and keeps it in the shape of a soft loop so it never really creases.
    That is what I was thinking. 

It doesn't need to fold completely like a piece of origami. Rather it just needs to bend enough to close inside a decent form factor. 

Much like how some of those little ribbon cables have done for ages.

I remember back a while when I took apart one of my broken flip phones and inside the hinge was a little ribbon cable that must have been bent and folded thousands of times. Never had an issue with the little ribbon cable.

It was the screen and shell that cracked. Which may not happen if it was as durable as these OLED's appear to be, as well as using more modern materials and designs.
  • Reply 55 of 66
    carmelapplecarmelapple Posts: 124member
    why- said:
    Is it just me or did both the folding phone and the "slide-out" phablet at the end of the video look like they were sheets of paper with printed images on them glued to some kind of case? They were very static looking. The only time the foldable phone looked like a phone was when the guy put it in his pocket and his pocket was actually lit up like there was a legitimate phone in there. I think in that part, a real phone could have been slipped in or for even more fakery, just simply had a backlight lighting up the paper. These looked like the dummy display phones you used to see (and may still see) at many stores with a static printed image.

Even when Microsoft did that vaporware "Courier" concept years ago, they at least made videos where it looked legitimately like something that could happen...of course it never did. With Apple, the closest you get to this kind of thing is through looking at their newest patents. If these Samsung "devices" were actually faked (and they look really, really fake), you would never see Apple do something like this. Samsung's best bet would have been to make the whole thing an animated demo rather than some idiotic "reality" sitcom type thing. This is just embarrassing. 

well usually in videos like this they use a dummy piece of hardware and simulate the screen using CGI
    Right, but they didn't even simulate the screen with CGI...it looked completely static. If they wanted to show this as a viable technology, at least make some things move around on the screen or show the person interacting with it. The guy gets the girl's number near the end and it could show him entering the number into the phone, but it doesn't. He just takes the card and leaves. The only thing he and the guy at the end demonstrate is that screens can be folded and rolled up...but neither demonstrate that they actually function beyond that. 
  • Reply 56 of 66
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,311member
    Kawhi said:
    The edge screen sucks. It's not easy to hold, you're always grabbing the screen.  It's more gimmick then anything.  The non edge version is much better for a Android phone.  If it's such adv great thing why isn't anyone else doing it?. Why is it only that one model phone when Samesung has so many other models? 

If sow did something as dumb as that, I would say the exact same thing.  It's no different then saying some should have made the back flat without the camera sticking out, if that requires a thicker phone, throw in a bit larger battery.  It's too thin I had to throw a bulky case on it's I was afraid of it slipping from my hand!!! 

I have no problem saying what's wrong with the iPhone.  You just threw out another lame, dumb fandroid comment that's not remotely true.  Maybe look in the mirror at the true sheep!!! 

Apple is far from perfect and tunes seems to have a stick up their butt, but Android and Google have their issues also!!!  Not to mention Samesung.
  • Reply 57 of 66
    command_f said:
    OK, someone has to say this: Bendy phones, it's just Samsung copying Apple again.

Apple were just imitating the LG Flex, so possibly Samsung might be too.

edited June 2016 Kawhi
  • Reply 58 of 66
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 891member
    Pretty slick, must be expensive as hell! I mean there it was 2011, must seriously have been bank...
  • Reply 59 of 66
    techlover said:

It doesn't need to fold completely like a piece of origami. Rather it just needs to bend enough to close inside a decent form factor. 

I remember back a while when I took apart one of my broken flip phones and inside the hinge was a little ribbon cable that must have been bent and folded thousands of times. Never had an issue with the little ribbon cable.

It was the screen and shell that cracked. Which may not happen if it was as durable as these OLED's appear to be, as well as using more modern materials and designs.
    There is no material right now that allows say 20 unbending a day and not break.
    Samsung is pushing air, like Google.
  • Reply 60 of 66
    foggyhill said:
    techlover said:

There is no material right now that allows say 20 unbending a day and not break.
    Samsung is pushing air, like Google.
    Silicone rubber.