Siri response raises hopes for 'dark mode' in iOS 10

Posted:
in iPhone edited June 2016
A curious response from Apple's Siri indicates the virtual assistant will soon support "dark mode" settings, suggesting forthcoming integration with OS X, or a highly anticipated introduction of dark mode functionality on iOS.

Spotted by a number of intrepid AppleInsider readers, commanding Siri to enable "dark mode" on an iOS device elicits the response, "Sorry, but I'm not able to change that setting," an unexpected result considering the operating system contains no reference to such features.

Siri normally falls back on a generic "I don't understand" answer when asked to modify an unsupported function. Further, if Siri is unable to customize an existing user option, like powering down an iPhone, she will inform a user of the limitation and apologize.

Apple's iOS does not currently support dark mode, the closest facsimile being Night Shift in iOS 9. Mac users, however, can access a special system setting that changes the menu bar and application dock from light gray to black. The option for "dark" graphics debuted with OS X 10.10 Yosemite in 2014.

Apple in the past dabbled with low-light viewing options, including a nighttime mode for Maps, but has fallen short of introducing system-wide appearance customizations.

The discovery comes one day prior to Apple's Worldwide Developers Conference, where the company is expected to show off the future of its core software platforms, iOS, OS X, watchOS and tvOS. Siri might have already spilled the beans on forthcoming Mac integration, as the virtual assistant was caught responding to queries referencing OS X file management app Finder on Saturday.

WWDC 2016 kicks off with a keynote presentation on Monday at 10 a.m. Pacific. AppleInsider will be covering the event live from San Francisco.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 16
    And I just asked it to turn on excitement mode and it returned exactly the same thing... 
    Can't wait for excitement mode.. Sounds far more interesting than dark mode.
    propodzoetmb
  • Reply 2 of 16
    Just to clarify, I asked about excitement mode straight after dark mode and it gave the same response. If you do it as a stand alone response then it doesn't work... Strange.
  • Reply 3 of 16
    mrdave79 said:
    And I just asked it to turn on excitement mode and it returned exactly the same thing... 
    Can't wait for excitement mode.. Sounds far more interesting than dark mode.
    Yeah, I just asked it to turn on "banana mode" and it said the same.

I think this article may have been a littl overzealous.
  • Reply 4 of 16
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    I just asked Siri to turn on dark mode and then turn on light mode and Siri replied sorry I'm not able to change that setting. Then I asked Siri to turn on blue mode and Siri said I don't know what you mean by... This along with all the banners at WWDC being black...I will be shocked if we don't get dark mode in iOS 10. Someone claiming to have insider information posted on a 9to5Mac story that there would be significant UI changes for iOS 10. John Gruber posted something similar on Twitter. Not a complete overhaul like iOS 7 but significant changes. How amazing if that's the case and Apple was able to keep it a secret (don't forget a lot of the iOS 7 home screen icons were leaked by 9 to 5 Mac right before WWDC).

patchythepirate
  • Reply 5 of 16
    latifbplatifbp Posts: 544member
    Or does it mean Siri will now know that it can turn on dark mode on OSX, but still not be able to do it on iOS if it doesn't actually come to iOS.
  • Reply 6 of 16
    mejsricmejsric Posts: 152member
    latifbp said:
    Or does it mean Siri will now know that it can turn on dark mode on OSX, but still not be able to do it on iOS if it doesn't actually come to iOS.

and Siri will be on macOS
  • Reply 7 of 16
    latifbp said:
    Except OS X doesn't officially have a dark mode. If you do a search on mode in OS X nothing comes up. If you search Apple's website for dark mode nothing comes up. iBooks has a dark mode as do parts of iTunes. I will be shocked if it isn't announced tomorrow.
  • Reply 8 of 16
    cashxxcashxx Posts: 114member
    Who wants dark mode?  I don't.  Might as well use Android then!  Be nice to have the option for those that want it, but personally I don't.  Just my .2.
  • Reply 9 of 16
    bobschlobbobschlob Posts: 1,074member
    Wow. Dark Mode.  
    "This (really) changes everything. Again.” ™
  • Reply 10 of 16
    cashxx said:
    Who wants dark mode?  I don't.  Might as well use Android then!  Be nice to have the option for those that want it, but personally I don't.  Just my .2.
    Choice is so awful. 
    latifbp
  • Reply 11 of 16
    latifbp said:
    Except OS X doesn't officially have a dark mode. If you do a search on mode in OS X nothing comes up. If you search Apple's website for dark mode nothing comes up. iBooks has a dark mode as do parts of iTunes. I will be shocked if it isn't announced tomorrow.
    OSX does have dark mode. You access it through System Preferences-> Use dark menu bar and Dock
  • Reply 12 of 16
    getvoxoagetvoxoa Posts: 84member
    Hey Siri Turn on bathroom mode.

Sorry, but I'm not able to change that setting

• Reply 13 of 16
    latifbp said:
    OSX does have dark mode. You access it through System Preferences-> Use dark menu bar and Dock
    But it's not specifically called dark mode.
  • Reply 14 of 16
    vision33rvision33r Posts: 213member
    I'd be more happy if Apple allowed a theme engine.
  • Reply 15 of 16
    maclvr03maclvr03 Posts: 198member
    I definitely wouldn't mind having a dark mode on TV OS, it's so bright on ATV4. Just give us the option and I'll be happy. 
  • Reply 16 of 16
    latifbp said:
    But it's not specifically called dark mode.
    Blame that on Craig Federighi... He called it that when he announced it