Microsoft buys professional social networking service LinkedIn for $26.2B

Comments

• Reply 21 of 49
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    What is it with Microsoft and all these expensive acquisitions. None of them have panned out so far. Even Skype is meh.
  • Reply 22 of 49
    xbitxbit Posts: 391member
    I'm not a regular user but my last three jobs have all come through LinkedIn - each with a significant pay rise. It's a handy tool if you work in technology.
    jasenj1nolamacguyanantksundarampscooter63baconstang
  • Reply 23 of 49
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    26 billion?

And people had the nerve to laud Apple for the measly 3 Bil acquisition of Beats. Something that's already profitable.

How the hell is LinkedIn worth 26 billion? Is it just the ad revenue?
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 24 of 49
    thedbathedba Posts: 770member
    Like many here already said, LinkedIn has become trashy as of late.
    I find it quite useless when I can send endorsements and vice versa to people and from people that I barely know. All it takes is one little click or tap. 

Maybe Microsoft has other plans for it. Who knows?
  • Reply 25 of 49
    gatorguy said:
    LinkedIn had become annoying for me some time ago and thus avoided for the most part. They seem like a Facebook wannabe anymore, which isn't something to strive for anyway IMHO. 
    I stopped using LinkedIn in 2006, my last job move. 
  • Reply 26 of 49
    chadbagchadbag Posts: 2,010member
    Something about running Microsoft changes you.  First Ballmer, now Nadella. Nadella has gone all Ballmer on us but at almost 3x the magnitude.  
  • Reply 27 of 49
    hydrogenhydrogen Posts: 314member
    I just removed my account.
  • Reply 28 of 49
    newtonrjnewtonrj Posts: 25member
    This appears to be a good move for MS.  If they integrate other properties like Skype, OneDrive, and MS Mail the value proposition for using LinkedIn would increase to users interested in those properties today.   -RJ
  • Reply 29 of 49
    frantisekfrantisek Posts: 760member
    I am happy that I do not need to worry about all of that Linkedin invitations I trashed for several years. And I deleted another fifty right now.
  • Reply 30 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    the armchair executives here whined about Apple buying Beats for $3B, despite beats being the most popular accessory maker and doing a billion a year in sales. whats LinkedIn doing? article doesnt even say, does it? cant imagine its much...how long will it take MS to recoup $26B in cash?
    Rayz2016
  • Reply 31 of 49
    What the hell is LinkedIn.
  • Reply 32 of 49
    jasenj1jasenj1 Posts: 923member
    I dumped LI back when they thought sending all your email through them so they could harvest info from it and insert ads was a good idea. When it was pointed out what a terrible thing this was from a security perspective, they showed a complete disregard for user privacy & security.

Perhaps MS will bring a new perspective and grown-up attitude toward such things. Last I knew, LI was trying to become Facebook for professionals, Stack Overflow, Treehouse, Google Groups, and who knows what else.
  • Reply 33 of 49
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,407member
    nasserae said:
    They might have as well flushed that $26B down the toilet.
    Why? (Seriously).
  • Reply 34 of 49
    justmarkjustmark Posts: 42member
    Maybe they can go ahead and buy MySpace as well....
    SEngineer
  • Reply 35 of 49
    pepe779pepe779 Posts: 84member
    But hey, I can't help but think that M$ and LI are actually a great match, aren't they? Both companies $uck so much and both seem to only be interested in harvesting user data at all costs lately, so it actually makes perfect sense after all :) But I agree, $26B... that's just an epic waste of money, totally not what such company should be worth imho.
    TurboPGT
  • Reply 36 of 49
    LinkediIn is basically spam. I wish the best for Microsoft, but I think they just wasted a lot of money.
    You nailed it. Fallen icon makes another dumb move.
  • Reply 37 of 49
    jameskatt2jameskatt2 Posts: 722member
    If Microsoft can waste $26 BILLION in buying LinkedIn, then SURELY Apple can buy BMW for $60 BILLION to jump start its car project while making a lot of profit along the way.
  • Reply 38 of 49
    If Microsoft can waste $26 BILLION in buying LinkedIn, then SURELY Apple can buy BMW for $60 BILLION to jump start its car project while making a lot of profit along the way.
    You can't buy what's not for sale.
    rogifan_newsingularity
  • Reply 39 of 49
    TurboPGTTurboPGT Posts: 355member
    I forgot, LinkedIn does have a paid premium tier. So, there is revenue.

I'm sure all 12 people who pay for that have already gotten phone calls from Msft.
  • Reply 40 of 49
    VisualSeedVisualSeed Posts: 217member
    You can't buy what's not for sale.
    Everything is for sale. Regardless, BMW is a publicly traded company. The only things you need to buy them is a brokerage account and enough money.