Apple restricts iOS 10 to iPhone 5, 4th-gen iPad or newer [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 35
    rezwitsrezwits Posts: 878member
    What's crazy is you do so many optimizations to help keep the iPad 2 snappy, it makes your App on an iPad Pro Feel Insane! But I honestly am tired of iPad 2 (A5). Especially with SpriteKit!
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 22 of 35
    melgrossmelgross Posts: 33,510member
    melgross said:

I still have a 3 here, and while for some things, it's slower, usually concerning graphics, in other things it's slightly faster. It depends on whether what you're doing is graphics or computation oriented.

for example, if I make a 3D model in AutoCad 360, and run it on an iPad 2, which I can barely do, and run it on a 3, it computes the figure faster on the 3, but shows a slight speed up when rotating it on the 2. That's because Apple uses the GPU for computation, which adds to the speed. But when rotating it, the higher resolution of the figure slows it down somewhat, because the A5X's GPU isn't 100% equal to the higher resolution, so rotating it is slower. I'm not just guessing. I've done it.

I also have the iPad 3 (my wife as the iPad 2). The 3 is extremely slow, unless you disable almost everything (which I have). Once you're in an app, it generally works well if it's compatible (Safari aside) but switching between apps is very slow. The primary reason for that is the speed of the storage, so flushing things out of memory and reloading the new app takes a long time, because the I/O is very slow by today's standards (about 5% of the speed of an iPad Air 2). It's so bad in some cases that if you play a large movie (day 5 - 6GB is size) it will stutter in certain places as it moved from solid storage to RAM and then back to storage, especially if you have not downloaded it fully.

The biggest reason the performance is better than the iPad 2 is not because of the A5X, it's simply because it has 1GB of RAM rather than 512MBs which helps a little.

I'm really surprised they kept supporting the iPad 3, but the performance has been terrible since iOS8 so I'm not banking on it getting any better.

If you're using a much newer OS then it's going g to be slow compared to newer models. Even if you're not, it will be slower. The hardware has gotten much better over the years. But when comparing my two old models, the 2 and the 3, I can't agree. As I said, when using graphics operations, the 2 is faster, that's true. But for some work, the 3 is noticeably faster, that's true too.
  • Reply 23 of 35
    jkichlinejkichline Posts: 1,369member
    I just checked the apple keynote video. The screen states that the iPad 2 is not on board. iPad mini2 and up, iPod touch 6th gen, iPhone 5 and up and iPad 4th gen and up. regards.
    That's exactly what I saw. It looked like iPad 4 and higher to me.
  • Reply 24 of 35
    iPad 2 is on the iOS 10 Preview website, not the keynote.

As for why it's still supported, it's probably something as simple as the iPad 2 wasn't discontinued until March 2014. There are probably still iPads on AppleCare through 2017, so they feel obligated to fully support them until then.
    TurboPGT
  • Reply 25 of 35
    The restore image download is only available for A6+ devices, ie. iPhone 5 and up, iPad 4 and up, iPad mini 2 and up, and iPod touch 6th gen, which I believe matches what was shown in the keynote.  Not sure why the website would show something different.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 26 of 35
    iphonetlx said:
    The restore image download is only available for A6+ devices, ie. iPhone 5 and up, iPad 4 and up, iPad mini 2 and up, and iPod touch 6th gen, which I believe matches what was shown in the keynote.  Not sure why the website would show something different.
    I was able to install the iOS 10 profile on my iPad 2 but unlike my later iOS devices, there is no update waiting. The Settings app shows an update badge but there is no update. This means:

A: The iOS 10 update is not yet available for the iPad 2 in beta 1 but will be in a later beta version.
    B: Apple either made a mistake on its web site or changed its mind about supporting the older devices like iPad 2.
  • Reply 27 of 35
    coolfactorcoolfactor Posts: 2,239member
    wood1208 said:
    With IOS10, why not just support 64-bit hardware like iphone 5S and up. It's time to let go ancient iphone 4/4s/5/5C and move to either iphone SE if you like smaller iphone or iphone 6S or 7 if like larger.

Easier said than done. Even through I make nearly 3k per month, I don't have an extra $800 to buy a new phone. I'm still on an iPhone 4 with a great data plan. Upgrading would see me paying more for less, even though I'd have a fancy new phone. Tough sell. I choose to stay with my plan, and my current phone, which still works like new, aside from slowness in some apps.
  • Reply 28 of 35
    The preview web site has been updated and all A5 and A5X models have been removed from the supported list.
    canukstormTurboPGT
  • Reply 29 of 35
    canukstormcanukstorm Posts: 2,695member
    iPad 2 is on the iOS 10 Preview website, not the keynote.

As for why it's still supported, it's probably something as simple as the iPad 2 wasn't discontinued until March 2014. There are probably still iPads on AppleCare through 2017, so they feel obligated to fully support them until then.
    iphonetlx said:
    grangerfx said:
    iphonetlx said:
    I was able to install the iOS 10 profile on my iPad 2 but unlike my later iOS devices, there is no update waiting. The Settings app shows an update badge but there is no update. This means:

A: The iOS 10 update is not yet available for the iPad 2 in beta 1 but will be in a later beta version.
    B: Apple either made a mistake on its web site or changed its mind about supporting the older devices like iPad 2.
    The iPad 2 is not supported. Whatever was shown on the keynote slide is the correct.  What was shown earlier on the Preview website was an error and has just been updated.  iOS devices with the A5-based SoC is not supported by iOS 10

http://www.apple.com/ios/ios10-preview/
  • Reply 30 of 35
    podzpodz Posts: 2member
    They removed iPad 2/3, iPad mini and 5th gen iPod from the compatible list of devices. Check it out.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 31 of 35
    Scroll all the way to the bottom. iPad 2 is out along with ipad3. http://www.apple.com/ios/ios10-preview/
  • Reply 32 of 35
    acgmphacgmph Posts: 48member
    From Apple's website: http://www.apple.com/ios/ios10-preview/ iPad Pro 12.9-inch iPad Pro 9.7-inch iPad Air 2 iPad Air iPad 4th generation iPad mini 4 iPad mini 3 iPad mini 2 So no iPad 2 or 3.
  • Reply 33 of 35
    brianmbrianm Posts: 36member
    looks like it says different things on different areas of Apple's website about iOS 10, or things were changed recently.
  • Reply 34 of 35
    multimediamultimedia Posts: 1,034member
    Following a debut onstage at WWDC 2016, Apple seeded the first beta version of iOS 10 to developers on Monday with support limited to iPhones, iPads and iPod touch models powered by the company's A5 revision two system-on-chip and better.

As noted at the bottom of Apple's iOS 10 preview website, the upcoming mobile operating system is compatible only with newer devices, leaving legacy models like the iPhone 4S and original iPad stuck with older iOS versions. Specifically, hardware powered by second-generation A5 chips, and the iPad 2's A5X, is the new minimum requirement set by iOS 10.

According to Apple, iOS 10 will run on:

iPhone

• iPhone 6s & 6s Plus
    • iPhone 6 & 6 Plus
    • iPhone SE
    • iPhone 5s
    • iPhone 5c
    • iPhone 5

iPad

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch
    • iPad Pro 9.7-inch
    • iPad Air 2
    • iPad Air
    • iPad 4th generation
    • iPad 3rd generation
    • iPad 2
    • iPad mini 4
    • iPad mini 3
    • iPad mini 2
    • iPad mini

iPod

• iPod touch 6th generation
    • iPod touch 5th generation

Unlike other platforms, Apple's iOS offers reasonably deep compatibility with older hardware. However, as the mobile OS bakes in advanced features its performance standard rises, meaning legacy devices will inevitably fall short. For iOS 10, Apple has set the cutoff at the A5 SoC.

The first iOS 10 beta was issued today, months ahead of public release this fall.
    Article is wrong. iPad 4 and newer, iPod touch 6th Gen only. Not iPad 2 not 3. Not iPad mini 1 either.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 35 of 35
    podzpodz Posts: 2member
    Following a debut onstage at WWDC 2016, Apple seeded the first beta version of iOS 10 to developers on Monday with support limited to iPhones, iPads and iPod touch models powered by the company's A5 revision two system-on-chip and better.

As noted at the bottom of Apple's iOS 10 preview website, the upcoming mobile operating system is compatible only with newer devices, leaving legacy models like the iPhone 4S and original iPad stuck with older iOS versions. Specifically, hardware powered by second-generation A5 chips, and the iPad 2's A5X, is the new minimum requirement set by iOS 10.

According to Apple, iOS 10 will run on:

iPhone

• iPhone 6s & 6s Plus
    • iPhone 6 & 6 Plus
    • iPhone SE
    • iPhone 5s
    • iPhone 5c
    • iPhone 5

iPad

• iPad Pro 12.9-inch
    • iPad Pro 9.7-inch
    • iPad Air 2
    • iPad Air
    • iPad 4th generation
    • iPad 3rd generation
    • iPad 2
    • iPad mini 4
    • iPad mini 3
    • iPad mini 2
    • iPad mini

iPod

• iPod touch 6th generation
    • iPod touch 5th generation

Unlike other platforms, Apple's iOS offers reasonably deep compatibility with older hardware. However, as the mobile OS bakes in advanced features its performance standard rises, meaning legacy devices will inevitably fall short. For iOS 10, Apple has set the cutoff at the A5 SoC.

The first iOS 10 beta was issued today, months ahead of public release this fall.
    Article is wrong. iPad 4 and newer, iPod touch 6th Gen only. Not iPad 2 not 3. Not iPad mini 1 either.
    They just copied the page before Apple changed it. 
    edited June 2016