Select Bank of America ATMs now processing Apple Pay withdrawals

Posted:
in iPhone edited March 2017
As part of a previously announced effort to introduce support for emerging digital wallet solutions, Bank of America this weekend began processing Apply Pay withdrawals at select ATMs in California, the first step in bringing wide compatibility to customers across the bank's nationwide network.
Source: WhatWhatTech via Imgur
According to an unconfirmed report posted to Reddit on Sunday, Bank of America customers living in Redondo Beach, Calif., can now withdraw cash from certain NFC-enabled ATMs. The system does not appear to be fully operational, however, as deposits still require a physical debit or checking account card. AppleInsider received reports of Apple Pay integration at select Bank of America ATM locations in May. At the time, pilot program coverage was limited to two machines in San Francisco. Bank of America has not yet made an official announcement regarding ATM compatibility with Apple Pay, though it appears the service is slowly rolling out beyond the Bay Area. Like some point-of-sale solutions, compatible Bank of America ATMs bear a generic NFC logo and might not necessarily sport Apple Pay branding. On machines with activated NFC internals, customers simply open Apple Pay on their iPhone, tap the device to the reader, enter a PIN and make a withdrawal. No cards are needed as part of the process. Currently, Bank of America ATMs are restricted to in-house accounts, suggesting the backend service is not yet connected to out-of-network credit card processors. Reports of Apple Pay ATM compatibility arrived in January when Bank of America Consumer Banking Products representative Betty Riess hinted at upcoming support for mobile wallets. Riess explained the bank was developing a cardless ATM solution that would allow account authentication via NFC-enable smartphone solutions. An initial rollout was expected in late February at ATMs in Silicon Valley, San Francisco, Charlotte, New York and Boston, though the launch timeline was apparently pushed back. Apple Pay rival Android Pay in May also announced ATM support for Bank of America machines, though it is not clear if Google's system is up and running at this time.

Comments

• Reply 1 of 22
    If its going to be use for ATM withdrawals the people who chose the name 'Apple Pay' must be tearing their hair out right now!
    jackansi
  • Reply 2 of 22
    Excellent.

Once this is widespread, people should feel more confident to leave their credit cards at home as they can use a cash withdrawal as a backup plan to standard Apple Pay-ments.
    lolliverpte appleradarthekatMacsAlwaysjackansilostkiwi
  • Reply 3 of 22
    misamisa Posts: 827member
    Excellent.

Once this is widespread, people should feel more confident to leave their credit cards at home as they can use a cash withdrawal as a backup plan to standard Apple Pay-ments.
    In Canada, the solution is simply to have two credit cards. Debit cards in Canada are processed as Interac transactions, while some banks that offer VISA cards also support VISA debit. So doing this in Canada likely will happen, but to be honest, the only places that you ever need cash at all are some food trucks that don't have a Square reader.

I can not recall the last time I needed to use cash in Canada.
    edited June 2016 jbishop1039
  • Reply 4 of 22
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    If its going to be use for ATM withdrawals the people who chose the name 'Apple Pay' must be tearing their hair out right now!
    You mean like Android Pay and Samesung Pay?  Since they copied Apple's payment method and the name!!!  Google should have stuck with wallet!!! 
    jackansi
  • Reply 5 of 22
    linkmanlinkman Posts: 1,046member

According to an unconfirmed report posted to Reddit on Sunday, Bank of America customers living in Redondo Beach, Calif., can now withdraw cash from certain NFC-enabled ATMs. The system does not appear to be fully operational, however, as deposits still require a physical debit or checking account card.

On machines with activated NFC internals, customers simply open Apple Pay on their iPhone, tap the device to the reader, enter a PIN and make a withdrawal.

I think I have only deposited cash into an ATM once in my 50 years. Since smartphone banking came into full use I have not deposited checks using an ATM either. I doubt that the withdrawal-only limitation will be a big deal.

PIN with Apple Pay?
  • Reply 6 of 22
    kpomkpom Posts: 660member
    It worked for me at an ATM in Chicago with an NFC logo.
    MacsAlwayslostkiwi
  • Reply 7 of 22
    chromoschromos Posts: 191member
    I used Apple Pay at one of the new BofA ATMs in Glen Park in San Francisco two weekends ago. Worked like a charm. 
    MacsAlwayslostkiwi
  • Reply 8 of 22
    robin huberrobin huber Posts: 4,014member
    Any bets as to how far into this century paper and metal currency will survive?
  • Reply 9 of 22
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    Excellent.

What is the point? You still need a wallet for your drivers license, medical insurance, AAA, grocery rewards, Home Depot card, etc. Plus you need some place to put that cash in your back-up plan. Why even think about a couple empty slots in your wallet? You save carrying around one ounce of plastic, big deal. Personally, I'd rather have the cards with me than laying around the house where some teenager can get their hands on them. I never go anywhere without credit cards, you know, in case I need to buy gas, or something where they don't have Apple Pay. I do use Apple Pay wherever it is available, but it will be a long time before it is accepted everywhere. Plus you need cards for airlines, rental cars, etc. where they read the card at a kiosk, not just to pay, but to put a temporary hold on funds. You can't really do that with Apple Pay.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 10 of 22
    indiekidukindiekiduk Posts: 385member
    jbdragon said:
    You mean like Android Pay and Samesung Pay?  Since they copied Apple's payment method and the name!!!  Google should have stuck with wallet!!! 
    Yeh Apple Wallet although they already used that for the boarding passes etc, maybe Apple NFC would have been OK since that's essentially what it is.
  • Reply 11 of 22
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    Many banks now have apps which give customers the option to deposit checks simply by taking photos (front and back) of the check, which I love. Great time saver.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 12 of 22
    Many banks now have apps which give customers the option to deposit checks simply by taking photos (front and back) of the check, which I love. Great time saver.
    I hate checks. I've had so many problems with them over the years. Recently someone stole a check out of the mail and was able to erase the pay to and payment amount fields and then cash it for themselves for a couple thousand dollars. Had to spend several hours on the phone with the bank, fax them copies, go to the Police to file a report. Just last week, the bank made a clerical error by entering in the wrong check number causing a duplicate and completely fouled up my accounting. Still not resolved.
    jackansi
  • Reply 13 of 22
    dayedaye Posts: 18member
    It worked for me using my Apple Watch. You do need to enter your debit/ATM card pin. There is no Apple Pay logon on the ATM, but the regular NFC card reader.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 14 of 22
    volcan said:

What is the point? You still need a wallet for...

You raise some fine points but not everyone carries so many cards.

And in NSW Australia, Driver Licences should be digital by the end of 2018. 

For many outings, all necessary cards would be on the iPhone: credit/debit cards and driver license. 

Other countries will get there.
    jackansilostkiwi
  • Reply 15 of 22

People have mentioned that before, however if you have your drivers license on your iPhone, when a police officer pulls you over for some suspected violation, he/she would have to take your phone back to the squad car to run the license through the computer, which in my mind might constitute a violation of privacy. Currently if you are asked to present your license and you try to offer your entire wallet, the officer will tell you to remove the license from the wallet. To confiscate your phone and all the data within just seems wrong. Without you unlocking it they would not be able to see your license but once unlocked they could see all your data. Whether or not they looked at your data, it might still present some legal issues I would think. In California they have mag stripes on the license and the police have a reader in the car.

Even Fry's Electronics here in California swipes your mag stripe drivers license when you pay with a credit card at the cashier. Also here in California when a young person is attempting to purchase alcohol, the clerk often has to take the license to a manager to make sure it is not forged. People under 21 have a special format of license. There are probably several other instances where a physical license is required, I'm just thinking of a few off the top of my head.
    edited June 2016
  • Reply 16 of 22
    I withdrew $20 from a BofA ATM at a Lucky store in Livermore Ca. last week using only my iPhone and ApplePay.  Worked perfectly.  I did not attempt to make a deposit.
  • Reply 17 of 22
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    linkman said:

According to an unconfirmed report posted to Reddit on Sunday, Bank of America customers living in Redondo Beach, Calif., can now withdraw cash from certain NFC-enabled ATMs. The system does not appear to be fully operational, however, as deposits still require a physical debit or checking account card.

On machines with activated NFC internals, customers simply open Apple Pay on their iPhone, tap the device to the reader, enter a PIN and make a withdrawal.

I think I have only deposited cash into an ATM once in my 50 years. Since smartphone banking came into full use I have not deposited checks using an ATM either. I doubt that the withdrawal-only limitation will be a big deal.

PIN with Apple Pay?
    Sounds like it from those who replied on this post to using it at an ATM.

However, for debit transactions here in Canada, there is no need to enter a pin when I used Apple Pay.
  • Reply 18 of 22
    volcan said:

People have mentioned that before, however if you have your drivers license on your iPhone, when a police officer pulls you over for some suspected violation, he/she would have to take your phone back to the squad car to run the license through the computer, which in my mind might constitute a violation of privacy. Currently if you are asked to present your license and you try to offer your entire wallet, the officer will tell you to remove the license from the wallet. To confiscate your phone and all the data within just seems wrong. Without you unlocking it they would not be able to see your license but once unlocked they could see all your data. Whether or not they looked at your data, it might still present some legal issues I would think. In California they have mag stripes on the license and the police have a reader in the car.

Even Fry's Electronics here in California swipes your mag stripe drivers license when you pay with a credit card at the cashier. Also here in California when a young person is attempting to purchase alcohol, the clerk often has to take the license to a manager to make sure it is not forged. People under 21 have a special format of license. There are probably several other instances where a physical license is required, I'm just thinking of a few off the top of my head.
    Yep. There's no way I'd agree to use a digital facsimile of my ID. Never hand your phone over to an officer voluntarily. In fact, it's my understanding you are not even required to roll your window down all the way in your vehicle (if you do, the officer could take that as your approval for them to search your vehicle).

http://tomwoods.com/podcast/ep-674-when-the-police-pull-you-over/
    edited June 2016 jackansi
  • Reply 19 of 22
    jackansijackansi Posts: 116member
    volcan said:

Yep. There's no way I'd agree to use a digital facsimile of my ID. Never hand your phone over to an officer voluntarily. In fact, it's my understanding you are not even required to roll your window down all the way in your vehicle (if you do, the officer could take that as your approval for them to search your vehicle).

Exactly why I never thought digital proof of insurance was a good idea.  Would be ideal if your could NFC your DL/insurance over to a device the cop has, instead of giving up your phone though.

I wish Apple would put this in iOS now: Press and hold the TouchID/home for 2-3 seconds to switch to a pin-only mode until after the next unlock (as an option instead of activating Siri).
    edited June 2016 SpamSandwich
  • Reply 20 of 22
    jackansi said:

Exactly why I never thought digital proof of insurance was a good idea.  Would be ideal if your could NFC your DL/insurance over to a device the cop has, instead of giving up your phone though.

I wish Apple would put this in iOS now: Press and hold the TouchID/home for 2-3 seconds to switch to a pin-only mode until after the next unlock (as an option instead of activating Siri).
    That's a good idea.
    lostkiwi