Chinese protesters smashing Apple iPhones over UN tribunal South China Sea decision

24

Comments

  • Reply 21 of 66
    anantksundaramanantksundaram Posts: 20,361member
    Stupid people doing stupid things.

    Nothing to see here, move along...
  • Reply 22 of 66
    baconstangbaconstang Posts: 930member

    boeyc15 said:

    Its certainly a weird position that the USA --- on one hand want the open seas etc and 'quietly' support Philippines, Vietnam etc;  on the other hand, USA has not signed the treaty that these countries are using as their claim for territory in the international court!

    Tribalism... it will be (one of) the un-doing of humanity.

    Tribalism and religion.....two pocks on humanity.
  • Reply 23 of 66
    h2ph2p Posts: 316member
    blastdoor said:
    apple ][ said:
    Every country, including ours, certainly has their own traitorous types.


    Every country also has people who histrionically label everyone who disagrees with them as a "traitor", though, too. People who do that risk spending their lives in a state of lonely, frightened, bitterness. Sad. 
    Are missing the point on purpose? Your false traitor example shows me that you may call people names that you disagree with, projecting this on someone else. Was that an anti-Trump comment regarding the wall? And destroying iPhones as a Trump trait?

    Funny that the Chinese have built The Great Wall(s) of China over more 1,500 years to protect their borders and control the trade routes through their country. Next thing you'll say is that to hell with protecting national borders and trade routes.

    On topic, to destroy a few iPhones, to get publicity by "destroying something American," is in fact troubling. Apple has been respectful of the Chinese... and Apple is having to deal with the "squeeze" of the Chinese gov't regarding the App Store, censorship, etc.
    apple ][
  • Reply 24 of 66
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,106member
    Jeez this is a new take on the AppleIsDoomed™ meme.  Don't they know the US government craps on Apple too?

    The good news is that they will have to buy replacements.
    lostkiwi
  • Reply 25 of 66
    h2ph2p Posts: 316member

    igorsky said:
    I'm going to throw hundreds of dollars down the drain to support my communist government's nonsensical claim over all of the South China Sea!
    There is nothing "communist" about china. Its just capitalism with heavy handed government control.
    I agree with both of you... but as anti-socialist as I am (no such thing as "real" communism), I can see why they would insist on the heavy handed gov't model to try to control such a huge population.

    I wonder if the more capitalist the people (and gov't biz entities) get -- the more separate China will try to get from the West? We are big markets now but Apple is having to rely on the Chinese market for their growth (while Apple develops India as a growth market). Stories about destroying Apple products as a symbol of Chinese patriotism is a symbol of that increasing separation.
  • Reply 26 of 66
    Excellent. I view this the why I view book burnings and record burnings: Go for it! You have to buy the item prior to destroying it. hahaha. It least they built the things so any replacements helps their economy. Good job!
    h2p
  • Reply 27 of 66
    sreesree Posts: 147member
    Now, imagine if the rest of the world started doing that with chinese goods!!!???

    It would probably end up generating a lot of well paying jobs in those places ..... hmmmm....
    h2p
  • Reply 28 of 66
    Grrr! Take that, inanimate object!
    nolamacguyquadra 610netmage
  • Reply 29 of 66
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    apple ][ said:
    blastdoor said:
    Every country is occupied by an enemy force??
    Every country, including ours, certainly has their own traitorous types.
    and their own mentally unwell, jebus bless their souls.
    netmage
  • Reply 30 of 66
    dachardachar Posts: 330member
    Perhaps this is a trick organised by the authorities by giving confiscated or lost phones to party members who then make a show of destroying them. As other have pointed out the high cost of such products would prevent any normal person destroying their iPhone. 
  • Reply 31 of 66
    quadra 610quadra 610 Posts: 6,756member
    Grrr! Take that, inanimate object!

    You win today's Internet! 

    Nicely done!  :smile: 
  • Reply 32 of 66
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 2,832member
    h2p said:
    blastdoor said:
    Every country also has people who histrionically label everyone who disagrees with them as a "traitor", though, too. People who do that risk spending their lives in a state of lonely, frightened, bitterness. Sad. 
    Are missing the point on purpose? Your false traitor example shows me that you may call people names that you disagree with, projecting this on someone else. Was that an anti-Trump comment regarding the wall? And destroying iPhones as a Trump trait?

    Funny that the Chinese have built The Great Wall(s) of China over more 1,500 years to protect their borders and control the trade routes through their country. Next thing you'll say is that to hell with protecting national borders and trade routes.

    On topic, to destroy a few iPhones, to get publicity by "destroying something American," is in fact troubling. Apple has been respectful of the Chinese... and Apple is having to deal with the "squeeze" of the Chinese gov't regarding the App Store, censorship, etc.
    What point do you think that I'm missing?

    I think that destroying iPhones out of anger over something the UN does is very reminiscent of the kind of angry and ignorant behavior that can be found among Trump supporters (in fairness, it can also be found among Sanders supporters). Trump himself urged people to boycott Apple because of Apple's stance on data security. Trump has also stated that he would pay the legal bills of any supporter to physically assaults a protestor. It's not much of a leap to imagine Trump supporters destroying iPhones because they are made in China, or because of the data security issue, or whatever else happens to honk them off in a moment of pique. 

    The Great Wall was a futile attempt to keep out the foreigners. The Iron Curtain went a step further -- it also tried to prevent people from leaving, not just keeping people out. These kinds of walls are built by people who are frightened and weak and don't know how to deal with the world, so just try to shut it out.

    China is the economic power that it is today because it finally stopped trying to shut out the rest of the world and decided to instead engage it. 
    roundaboutnow
  • Reply 33 of 66
    jddcjddc Posts: 10member
    they paid for it, let them destroy it and Apple can refuse repair service on clearly self-abused products what gives China the right to suddenly declare they own the south china sea???
  • Reply 34 of 66
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 2,832member

    Excellent. I view this the why I view book burnings and record burnings: Go for it! You have to buy the item prior to destroying it. hahaha. It least they built the things so any replacements helps their economy. Good job!
    Ha ha! Great point!
  • Reply 35 of 66
    igorsky said:
    I'm going to throw hundreds of dollars down the drain to support my communist government's nonsensical claim over all of the South China Sea!
    There is nothing "communist" about china. Its just capitalism with heavy handed government control.
    I guess not "communist", but definitely a Unitary Socialist on-party state (about the closest thing to communism you can find).

    Plus, the white phone in the picture is a 4 or 4s, so they're destroying their own $50 iPod in my mind.

    h2p
  • Reply 36 of 66
    eideardeideard Posts: 427member
    apple ][ said:
    blastdoor said:
    Every country has their Trump types. 

    Every country also has their Quisling types too, and there's plenty of those around, starting at the top and going down.
    Interchangeable.
  • Reply 37 of 66
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    dirker said:
    It does make me laugh. Designed in America by a Brit and built in China. Not really that American!
    Designed in America, and built in China by American designed manufacturing facilities using detailed American specified instructions.  Every screw is turned to Apple's precise instructions.  Even less of China in the process than popularly believed.  So if Chinese want to smash modern products of American culture, there aren't many targets more perfect than the iPhone. 

    Also that 'Brit' even works for an American company as an American citizen.

    netmage
  • Reply 38 of 66
    That's a really expensive way of showing support. It would be less expensive for them to burn an American flag and it would probably have much more meaning. China depends on the iPhone for creating assembly jobs for Chinese citizens so the iPhone isn't entirely American. I know I wouldn't be destroying anything electronic I bought. That would be throwing hard-earned money down the drain. I really thought the Chinese government and most Chinese consumers were all for foreign businesses.
  • Reply 39 of 66
    redefilerredefiler Posts: 323member
    boeyc15 said:

    Its certainly a weird position that the USA --- on one hand want the open seas etc and 'quietly' support Philippines, Vietnam etc;  on the other hand, USA has not signed the treaty that these countries are using as their claim for territory in the international court!

    Tribalism... it will be (one of) the un-doing of humanity.

    Tribalism is another shrill cry of modern beta manlets.  The sociological benefits of 'tribalism' far outweigh the inflated hysteria of its negatives.  Tribalism is a time proven mechanism for human endeavor.  Without it, your family would have eaten you for meat moments after birth.
    netmage
  • Reply 40 of 66
    How is it a boycott if the device has already been purchased?
Sign In or Register to comment.