Apple may launch three new iPhones in 2017, limiting curved OLED to one model - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 47
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,078member
    This smells of the "new Coke" disaster.
  • Reply 22 of 47
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,261member
    sog35 said:
    gatorguy said:
    mytdave said:
    Gimmick. What actual productive reason is there for a curved screen (on the edges like Shamesung)? I've seen it, played with it. I actually find it annoying since the images get distorted along the edges, eww. I hope Apple does NOT do a "me too" product like this. If Apple were to do some type of curved screen, they'd need to go above and beyond, like wrap it all the way around the phone. Still, not sure what would be useful or practical about that either. And, they would also need to figure out some way to compensate for the bent images due to the curved glass.
    I had assumed it was a pretty much useless feature too...
    Until the property owner had stopped by one day last week sporting an Edge model. I asked how useful the small side notifications were and he replied he found it incredibly so, relying on it several times a day since email, message, call etc notifications displayed no matter whether he had it face down or in it's case. 

EDIT: Here's an article on using the Edge for notifications and such.
    http://www.guidingtech.com/41574/samsung-galaxy-s6-edge-tips/
    having an Apple Watch is 100X better for notifications
    Well of course you could pay for two devices if it's both more convenient and worth it. That's got zero to do with Samsung and possibly Apple offering a smartphone with edge notifications, the topic of the article. Geesh.
    cnocbui
  • Reply 23 of 47
    Lol ANALysts
  • Reply 24 of 47
    sog35 said:
    Samsung Note 7 real world performance is an absolute joke. 
    Slower and more choopy than even cheap POS China phones like Xiaomi.

http://www.xda-developers.com/with-the-note-7-samsung-still-delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/

Yet the entire tech media is hailing it as the best phone ever made.
    This ridiculous article: 

The Galaxy Note 7 is miles ahead of the iPhone

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2016/08/03/galaxy-note-7-is-miles-ahead-of-the-iphone/

Its flat out ridiculous how biased the media is. Cause they are getting advertising paychecks from Samsung every month.
    Already been appropriately rebutted: http://www.macworld.com/article/3107242/ios/facts-they-re-helpful.html

• Reply 25 of 47
    blastdoorblastdoor Posts: 3,332member
    Perhaps I'm just not thinking creatively enough, but I also don't see the practical (non-gimmick) benefits of a curved screen. 

However, I could imagine benefits to an OLED notification strip on the back of the phone 

doozydozen
  • Reply 26 of 47
    rogifan_newrogifan_new Posts: 4,297member
    So if this is to believe Apple is copying Samsung now? Good grief.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 47
    cnocbuicnocbui Posts: 3,613member
    sog35 said:
    Samsung Note 7 real world performance is an absolute joke. 
    Slower and more choopy than even cheap POS China phones like Xiaomi.

http://www.xda-developers.com/with-the-note-7-samsung-still-delivers-embarrassing-real-world-performance/

Yet the entire tech media is hailing it as the best phone ever made.

Did you miss the little disclaimer?

we must also point out that not every user will experience the performance issues equally, many of these problems are localized or limited to certain apps or actions, and the severity also varies depending on your SKU due to software and hardware. This article is confined to Snapdragon 820 versions of the Note 7 purchased in the United States.

The Exynos powered international version of the S7 Edge is better than the Qualcom powered version and the same went for the S6.  Samsung's own Exynos processors are outperforming their Qualcom counterparts of late.  The Note 7 with an Exynos processor gets a 90hr endurance rating from GSM while the Snapdragon version 'only' gets 81hr.  Their Exynos processors have an integrated modem.

doozydozen
  • Reply 28 of 47
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    Note 7 is smoked by iPhone 6S in good test of apps:

...in particular the Lapse It app dragged on Note, resulting in it getting lapped.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/10559/the-samsung-galaxy-note7-s820-review/4
    lolliverdoozydozenDeelronjustadcomicstopper24hours
  • Reply 29 of 47
    johnbearjohnbear Posts: 160member
    That would be nice too catch up on the screen technology of 2014 and keep up with the amount of ram the others have been using since 2012
  • Reply 30 of 47
    johnbear said:
    That would be nice too catch up on the screen technology of 2014 and keep up with the amount of ram the others have been using since 2012
    iOS needs less RAM than Android.
    lolliverdoozydozennolamacguypscooter63chia
  • Reply 31 of 47
    apple ][ said:

Do these sick people also have curved, deformed penises? What a bunch of freaks.
    What the f*%k, dude...
    I imagine you lost everyone with that analogy. 
    #fail
    lolliverjustadcomicstopper24hourscully
  • Reply 32 of 47
    mdriftmeyermdriftmeyer Posts: 7,503member
    they'll only do this if there's a compelling reason to. 
    Yes, like removing the hardware switches on the side and expanding their functionality with forced touch.
    topper24hours
  • Reply 33 of 47
    johnbear said:
    Not a bright comment at all.  Battery life and performance are key, so using less ram, with a more efficient OS gives you better performance and battery life.  Android needing more ram is a PROBLEM with android, not a feature.

Also, Just because some people shipped some devices with OLED in 2014, and got really sub par performance, does not mean that Apple is behind.  Apple's screens are far superior than most, so they go to gimmicks like OLED before its ready.

Takes time for technology to develop to the level of quality Apple desires, and usually Apple is developing a solution of its own that is superior.  When OLED is there, and Apple adopts it, it will be leading the way.

You android fans just have to retcon the whole world to avoid embarrassment for buying a crappy counterfiet iPhone when you could have had the real thing.
    topper24hourspatchythepiratepscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 47
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    bill42 said:
    I want to release my own rumor, that I just came up with.

Apple will release the "iPhone Retro".
    It will be a cube with a rounded CRT screen and the resolution will be reduced to blurred 640x480 pixels and the refresh rate will be interlaced 30 frames/sec so it will always flicker. Noise and static will be added every few seconds until you move it around just right to clear up the picture.
    Will the retro come with aluminum foil or is that a $39 accessory.
  • Reply 35 of 47
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,075member
    So if this is to believe Apple is copying Samsung now? Good grief.
    Iris scanning in 2108 and then Apple will add the "Apple Pencil Mini" to the iPhone 9plus in 2019.
    cully
  • Reply 36 of 47
    mcdavemcdave Posts: 1,927member
    apple ][ said:

Do these sick people also have curved, deformed penises? What a bunch of freaks.
    No. But I've heard they throttle performance after a few minutes and are prone to viruses.
    pscooter63chia
  • Reply 37 of 47
    If it is OLED, there is no low resolution screens that lower then the 1080p!  Apple will have to use the 1080p standard!
  • Reply 38 of 47
    Curved to me is like the LG Flex. What They call curved I call rounded edges. Like the Samsung Note 7. IMO
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 39 of 47
    kevin keekevin kee Posts: 1,289member
    johnbear said:

There is really not much one can educate a simple minded person (read: eye-queue) regarding the elegance of iPhone/iOS design. 
    topper24hours
  • Reply 40 of 47
    bluefire1bluefire1 Posts: 1,303member
    Let's first see how accurate the rumors turn out to be for this year's model.