Apple shakes up retail workforce with new and renamed job titles, other changes

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    Apple (store) employees are wonderful! I've used Apple stores since #3 opened in Willow Bend (Plano, Texas) back in 2001 and have become a regular customer at Apple La Cantera (San Antonio) when it opened in September 2005. Without exception, my wife and I have ALWAYS been treated well by Apple employees. They remember us and do a fantastic job taking care of us. Recently, my 42mm Apple Watch sport, which I received 12 May 2015 and had worn every day since, had the mic go bad for no apparent reason. Because it is about an hour drive to La Cantera, I decided to call AppleCare to see if I could get help, this after I had tried unpairing, wiping, and resetting the watch. Despite the fact my watch was more than two months out of warranty, the Apple employee with whom I dealt, informed me they would replace the watch free of charge, and not only that, he would expedite shipping my watch free as well. In two days I had a new Apple Watch! A few years ago, one of our dogs chewed completely through the cable on my 30" Apple Cinema Display. Happy, I was not! I took the display to Apple La Cantera, told the Genius what had happened, and he told me he thought they could take care of it. I said something like, "What do you mean, 'take care of it', this is not a warranty issue (and besides the display was well out of that)!" The store employee took the display, had it repaired in two days, and returned to us free of charge. Apple isn't perfect, but they are superb and far better than any other tech company by a long shot.
  • Reply 22 of 28
    focherfocher Posts: 687member
    lolliver said:
    Apple - Steve just died again. You've lost your essence, and the momentum is seriously waning now. You cant create excitement without the product innovations and 99 pct of your retail staff is flat and lifeless. Creating a new internal job structure and creedo wont fix it - create an amazing new product and pay your people well enough to make passion for your brand the most important thing they need to be worried about. And while you're at it, you might want to promote individuals based on their talents and capabilities and nothing else. Some of the very best people I've ever worked with left you because your system ignored them. Lose the system and turn back the clocks.

We've finally found the one!! Someone who can run Apple far better than Tim Cook. Quick, call the board of directors and get this guy hired. He's obviously a real expert on running a billion dollar company!! So are you free to take over the CEO roll from Tim or are you too busy running your own billion dollar company???
    Your fallacy is: Appeal to accomplishment https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Appeal_to_accomplishment Also known as the I-don't-need-to-be-a-cobbler-to-know-my-shoes-have-fallen-apart fallacy
    No it isn't, and to cite that just shows ignorance. As even your citation states: "Appeals to accomplishment are fallacies only when they are simple appeals to authority. It is not fallacious to rely on the testimony of a person who has attained a certain level of education or experience if they can produce further evidence to back up their positions when required." [emphasis mine]

So anonymous Internet poster claiming superior expertise than the person who has run Apple and generated almost a TRILLION dollars in revenue during his tenure is non a fallacious argument. In fact, the exact opposite is true. The fallacy of expertise comes from the anonymous Internet poster.
    williamlondonnolamacguyroundaboutnow
  • Reply 23 of 28
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    bobroo said:
    Apple - Steve just died again. You've lost your essence, and the momentum is seriously waning now. You cant create excitement without the product innovations and 99 pct of your retail staff is flat and lifeless. Creating a new internal job structure and creedo wont fix it - create an amazing new product and pay your people well enough to make passion for your brand the most important thing they need to be worried about. And while you're at it, you might want to promote individuals based on their talents and capabilities and nothing else. Some of the very best people I've ever worked with left you because your system ignored them. Lose the system and turn back the clocks.
    Spot on post!

Apple of old used to be about innovation and exceedingly good products. Now that it's Tim and Jony's Apple, we haven't seen nary any innovation from some 115,000 employees in a year and a half. The last innovative product was Apple TV. 

A regime change is overdue.
    what on earth are you talking about? the new ATV has been out for less than a year. 

further, innovation happens every single day. how do you think these devices get better every year? they don't design, engineer, shrink, and manufacture themselves...people do it. they come up with new and innovative ways to solve problems. 

maybe you're looking for new toys, not new tools?

(update: reviewing your reputation and post history, I see you're a troll. I imagine you won't last long.)
    edited August 2016
  • Reply 24 of 28
    more on innovation, from the great Fast Company article:

What Apple has accomplished with Maps is an example of the kind of grind-it-out innovation that’s happening all the time at the company. You don’t hear a lot about it, perhaps because it doesn’t support the enthralling myth that innovation comes in blinding flashes that lead to hitherto unimaginable products. When critics ding Apple for its failure to introduce "breakthrough" devices and services, they are missing three key facts about technology: First, that breakthrough moments are unpredictable outcomes of ongoing, incremental innovation; second, that ongoing, behind-the-scenes innovation brings significant benefits, even if it fails to create singular disruptions; and, third, that new technologies only connect broadly when a mainstream audience is ready and has a compelling need. "The world thinks we delivered [a breakthrough] every year while Steve was here," says Cue. "Those products were developed over a long period of time."

http://www.fastcompany.com/3062090/tim-cooks-apple/playing-the-long-game-inside-tim-cooks-apple
    jbishop1039drewys808roundaboutnow
  • Reply 25 of 28
    I'm always amused when someone predicts that Apple is, once again, dying, when they announce anything! The ad nauseam repetitions of "they're done innovating," and " it's not the same since Steve left," and "the end is near" are the hysterical whining of armchair quarterbacks who haven't got a clue as to what actually goes into running one of the still most profitable companies in the world, which still does more dollar per square foot sales than any other retailer, period! I've been fortunate enough to get 69 rides around the sun, and the last ten of them were working for the best retailer I've ever been associated with, bar none! Apple is a very demanding company to work for; it's not for the slackers (and they don't stay long, in any event, either because they can't handle it and leave on their own, or they're shown the door), but if one wants to put in the time and effort to grow and learn, job security, better pay than almost all retail, good benefits, and a damn great group of people to work with, make it all worthwhile. I recently retired from one of their fruit stands, and it was a fantastic way to end over 50 years of a varied work life!
    roundaboutnownolamacguy
  • Reply 26 of 28
    bobroobobroo Posts: 96member
    bobroo said:
    Spot on post!

Apple of old used to be about innovation and exceedingly good products. Now that it's Tim and Jony's Apple, we haven't seen nary any innovation from some 115,000 employees in a year and a half. The last innovative product was Apple TV. 

what on earth are you talking about? the new ATV has been out for less than a year. 

further, innovation happens every single day. how do you think these devices get better every year? they don't design, engineer, shrink, and manufacture themselves...people do it. they come up with new and innovative ways to solve problems. 

(update: reviewing your reputation and post history, I see you're a troll. I imagine you won't last long.)
    I completely disagree.

While I completely understand that new products take time; the reality is that what ever "new" that has come out is really just enhancements. Sure things can become faster but I am certain we are all about to find out that the consumers are NOT going to find a curved screen, some mild water resistance, or yet another change to how the iPhone 7 can be charged as important game changers. Sure computers have become faster and with better graphics, but those changes are not revolutionary and I would argue not big enough changes that really matter. 

A big problem is that everything needs to pass through Tim and Jony. Tim and Jony need to be a part of every conversation. And, because there is nothing big, exciting, or innovative going on; Tim and Jony have spent a lot of time on things that don't really matter such as new displays for products at Apple stores or new layouts for iTunes.

When are you going to realize Nolamacguy that Tim Cook is just a high level snake oil salesman? That he has not brought anything new to Apple? And that over the past 3 years ( or what ever it is) his legacy is he has only spent a lot of money?  

I challenge you Nolamacguy, at the next Apple event (likely the new iPhone 7 breakout) to take a close look at when Tim Cook is onstage; ask yourself "this is just a big dollar, well polished sale of snake oil; really no different than the commercials for gadgets on late night TV.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    bobroo said:
    bobroo said:
    Spot on post!

I completely disagree.

While I completely understand that new products take time; the reality is that what ever "new" that has come out is really just enhancements. Sure things can become faster but I am certain we are all about to find out that the consumers are NOT going to find a curved screen, some mild water resistance, or yet another change to how the iPhone 7 can be charged as important game changers. Sure computers have become faster and with better graphics, but those changes are not revolutionary and I would argue not big enough changes that really matter. 

A big problem is that everything needs to pass through Tim and Jony. Tim and Jony need to be a part of every conversation. And, because there is nothing big, exciting, or innovative going on; Tim and Jony have spent a lot of time on things that don't really matter such as new displays for products at Apple stores or new layouts for iTunes.

When are you going to realize Nolamacguy that Tim Cook is just a high level snake oil salesman? That he has not brought anything new to Apple? And that over the past 3 years ( or what ever it is) his legacy is he has only spent a lot of money?  

I challenge you Nolamacguy, at the next Apple event (likely the new iPhone 7 breakout) to take a close look at when Tim Cook is onstage; ask yourself "this is just a big dollar, well polished sale of snake oil; really no different than the commercials for gadgets on late night TV.
    complete troll nonsense. snake oil? GTFO with that nonsense. 

using your (likely wrong) claim that everything goes through Cook and Ive (what's your obsession btw) and that this is wrong, one need only look at quotes Jobs said -- that even he was just one guy and didn't decide everything, that it was a team effort. he directly contradicts your claim. I think Jobs is more credible than you, some random on a rumor site. 

Cook is so effective at supply chains and management that Jobs felt he was the only man who could take his spot and run Apple. in that time the company has gown widely, in size and in profit. remember: profit is the air that corporations breath. only profit. they get it by building great products that people line up to throw their money at....which they still do, every year. 

under Cook for new stuff we've seen the rMBP, the MP, the AW, and the ATV. all great. iPhone and iPad continue to innovate via near systematic iteration, which is how it is done.

if you expect blinding revolutionary products every year then you don't know how Apple rolls, or even how things work in technology. read my above quote from the Fast Company article. seek to understand it. 
    edited August 2016