Photo hints at bigger, 334mAh battery in second-gen Apple Watch

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    If remotely accurate, it's nice to see them pushing it forward. It'll probably be the 3rd gen when I finally jump in as the majority of kinks will be completely ironed out by then.
    doozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 28
    brucemcbrucemc Posts: 1,541member
    techno said:
    My watch battery lasts 1.5 days. I am not sure this is really needed. I would rather have a phone that lasts longer than 1/2 the day.
    Better battery life, if it does not sacrifice the right form factor, is always a good thing.  It can allow the watch to do more (GPS, eventual cellular data, always on watch face) for those that want it.

And it is possible for Apple to improve both products at the same time.
  • Reply 23 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    Soli said:
    I've even tested it on a backpacking trip, which means putting it in Airplane Mode since my phone had no cellular connection. I can get several days out of a charge that way, and even more if I turn it off at night.

I'd like a higher capacity battery, but hopefully due to denser power storage over simply increasing the battery's size.

Wouldnt we all love denser power storage lol
    A small battery with a relatively low volume would be the ideal market to test new battery tech.
    SolidEnergy. Samsung has something similar but using graphene, may be shipping in the next few months.
    I saw something coming out of MIT this past month regarding graphene. It sounded like it would be relatively easy and cheap to implement, but I still would expect  considerable testing to make sure you don't months into a shipping product and have a battery that could catch fire.
  • Reply 24 of 28
    aderutter said:
    I too charge every night and it's typically at 50% or more charge when I do so. No battery complaints here.

My other half used low power mode on hers when we went away into the wilderness for a long weekend and it stayed on for over 4 days (she didn't turn it off at night).
    It might be good if Apple offered multiple power modes, but I guess they don't want to water-down the experience.

I'm more looking forward to WatchOS3 for the speed increase in all honesty.

I agree, battery life is not an issue with Apple watch, the main issue is that is SO slow. That´s why I am looking Forward for Watch OS 3

doozydozen
  • Reply 25 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    albegarc said:
    aderutter said:
    I too charge every night and it's typically at 50% or more charge when I do so. No battery complaints here.

My other half used low power mode on hers when we went away into the wilderness for a long weekend and it stayed on for over 4 days (she didn't turn it off at night).
    It might be good if Apple offered multiple power modes, but I guess they don't want to water-down the experience.

I agree, battery life is not an issue with Apple watch, the main issue is that is SO slow. That´s why I am looking Forward for Watch OS 3

The first several betas didn't show any improvement like was demoed and promised at WWDC—I'd even argue that it got slower—but at of the late couple betas it's been considerably faster and seems to be more power efficient.
    edited August 2016 albegarc
  • Reply 26 of 28
    Soli said:
    albegarc said:
    aderutter said:

The first several betas didn't show any improvement like was demoed and promised at WWDC—I'd even argue that it got slower—but at of the late couple betas it's been considerable faster and seems to be more power efficient.
    Is good to know that, since I am not a developer I have not been able to try the Watch OS 3 beta, but what you said is encouraging. Thank You for sharing.
    Soli
  • Reply 27 of 28
    gatorguy said:
    gatorguy said:
    Soli said:
    A small battery with a relatively low volume would be the ideal market to test new battery tech.
    SolidEnergy. Samsung has something similar but using graphene, may be shipping in the next few months.
    Lol, well.... the one article I read on this mid last year said it would take "at least three years to bring to market". Sooooo, either- you consider mid 2018 (at the earliest) "the next few months", or you have some info to share about how they rapidly & under the radar pushed this through faster than anyone guessed- by about a 24 month margin??
    LOL? :/

"...the first of these batteries are expected in drones right away, in November 2016. Wearables, cell phones, and other small consumer electronics should start getting these types of batteries by 2017 if all goes well."
    http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/08/19/researchers-developed-lithium-batteries-twice-capacity-expect-ready-smartphones-2017/

(edited with better link)
    Apologies. Your post was unclear... whereas , you did say "SolidEnergy" at the start; you then said Samsung has something similar & it will could be shipping in the next few months. To be clear. NO. Samsung's offering will be out in 2018 at the very earliest, as I said. It is SolidEnergy's offering that could be ready in 2017.
    In the English language, your comments refer back to the most RECENTLY mentioned noun.
    For example- saying: "I love my dog, and my grandpa... he's dead now", would mean your late grandfather is pushing daisies, not Fido. 
    Your statement should have read: SolidEnergy has a product that may drop next year.... while Samsung is working on something similar with a longer timeline. 
    I'm assuming it was accidental, but your post is VERY misleading- it really, really, really appears like you are saying Sammy has the tech coming out next year.