Apple announces water resistant iPhone 7: pressure sensing home button, dual cameras, jet black fin

Comments

• Reply 21 of 128
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    No, Sog, NOT "waterproof".
    IP67 means totally dust-proof, but for water, "protected against the effect of immersion between 15cm and 1m".
    For the record, a Galaxy7 - not that I'd ever own one, is IP68, which supposedly means "protected against long periods of immersion under pressure".
    I think it's been demonstrated that these ratings leave something to be desired "in the field".

ration allostkiwinetmagedoozydozen
  • Reply 22 of 128
    A lot of improvements are coming in areas where I am comfortable with the current gen iPhone. I have a 6S, and I'm quite happy with the photos it takes and the speed of the phone. 2GB RAM is enough for me, and the improvements on the CPU are really trivial in my use case (browsing the web, checking reddit, etc).

I don't really find any features that stands out to justify upgrading my phone. Maybe next year.
    netmage
  • Reply 23 of 128
    I would also like to add that whoever it was here claiming Apple would be spacing the storage prices by $150 was wrong-o. :smiley: 

Although they did increase the 7+ by $20 each
    netmagedoozydozencaliwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 24 of 128
    More space. Great headphones. New music app. What a great opportunity to launch high res or lossless audio.
    lostkiwijasenj1netmagedoozydozentmaycali
  • Reply 25 of 128
    asdasdasdasd Posts: 5,686member
    No brainer for me as an update. They've improved pretty much everything you can improve on a smart phone - performance, screen, color, audio, battery life, drop and water resistance, camera. 
    ration allostkiwinolamacguydoozydozenwatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 26 of 128
    Do you think they forgot to mention that the 7 Plus has a striking resemblance to Bender from Futurama? Haha just jokes AI, you know I love you guys
    ration allostkiwidoozydozen
  • Reply 27 of 128
    mcarling said:
    Only phablets? No phone-sized phone? I would have thought that Apple had learned their mistake. Many millions of customers evidently want a 4" fully featured iPhone.
    Probably next year to replace the 6SE. 
    ration alnetmagedoozydozencalipscooter63
  • Reply 28 of 128
    Amazing. I'm getting two iPhone 7 Plus. Can't wait.
    lostkiwidoozydozencaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 128
    williamhwilliamh Posts: 1,036member
    sog35 said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm not in the market for a new phone right now, but damn, these new iPhones look great!

I'm loving both of the new black colors!

And all of the new features and improvements? Awesome!

I'm serious, anybody who is disappointed in the new iPhone 7 is a complete fucking idiot or a useless troll.

Apple hit it out of the ballpark with the new iPhones!

I don't even care that they removed the headphone jack, since they even provide an adapter with the phone. I was one of the people who was skeptical about removing the headphone jack, but I listened to the arguments made on stage, and I suppose that it does make sense, since space is obviously at a premium, and you can't be hanging on to old tech forever.

agree. The iPhone7 is amazing.

Only idiot trolls or people shorting the stock would say other wise.

The only thing the iPhone 7 is missing is useless gimmicks and bloated crap that no one uses.

This is by FAR the best iPhone ever made. I'm getting 100% tempted on picking up a 32 GB Jet Black 7+.............DAMN.
    Fine, I'm an idiot troll. I'm not shorting the stock so that must be it.  It's a very good phone, probably the best there is.  It's just that compared to the 6s and 6s+, there's nothing really amazing.  I'm ordering one for my daughter, she has a 5s that's starting to fail.  She will love it.  I've got a 6.  It's still good. I can wait another year.   Obviously the 7 is better but not change my life better.  It's not amazing. I'm amazed that people like you could get so enthralled by it.  
    afrodritoddzrxsmaceslin
  • Reply 30 of 128
    wizard69wizard69 Posts: 13,377member
    Lightning headphones with adapter included in box.

Camera updates look great but Phil is setting high expectations with all the DSLR comparisons.
    I don't think he did any such thing.    He simply used a the capabilities that SLR's deliver to compare what they are trying to achieve on iPhone.   The depth he went into should explain things pretty good to anybody that actually watches the video.   I was actually surprised at the clarity of the presentation.   
    thepixeldocdoozydozencaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 128
    bill42bill42 Posts: 131member
    What's with all the dark photos? Who shows a black device using a black backdrop? 
    Everybody who shoots photography. 

The best way to show off a shiny black object is to shoot and black and use the highlights to show its form. 
    pscooter63lostkiwidoozydozentmaycali
  • Reply 32 of 128
    Apple's iPhone page mentions small micro abrasions with use for the jet black iPhone. If only someone could come up with a clear silicone case that didn't yellow over time. Would be perfect for this device.
    cali
  • Reply 33 of 128
    williamh said:
    sog35 said:
    apple ][ said:
    I'm not in the market for a new phone right now, but damn, these new iPhones look great!

I'm loving both of the new black colors!

And all of the new features and improvements? Awesome!

I'm serious, anybody who is disappointed in the new iPhone 7 is a complete fucking idiot or a useless troll.

Apple hit it out of the ballpark with the new iPhones!

I don't even care that they removed the headphone jack, since they even provide an adapter with the phone. I was one of the people who was skeptical about removing the headphone jack, but I listened to the arguments made on stage, and I suppose that it does make sense, since space is obviously at a premium, and you can't be hanging on to old tech forever.

agree. The iPhone7 is amazing.

Only idiot trolls or people shorting the stock would say other wise.

The only thing the iPhone 7 is missing is useless gimmicks and bloated crap that no one uses.

This is by FAR the best iPhone ever made. I'm getting 100% tempted on picking up a 32 GB Jet Black 7+.............DAMN.
    Fine, I'm an idiot troll. I'm not shorting the stock so that must be it.  It's a very good phone, probably the best there is.  It's just that compared to the 6s and 6s+, there's nothing really amazing.  I'm ordering one for my daughter, she has a 5s that's starting to fail.  She will love it.  I've got a 6.  It's still good. I can wait another year.   Obviously the 7 is better but not change my life better.  It's not amazing. I'm amazed that people like you could get so enthralled by it.  
    I dont know what you expect. Incremental updates will always be incremental. 

I expected a much more meh release actually. Next year they'll have a whole new form factor and fewer actual optimisations and that will impress more people. 
    nolamacguywaverboytmaywatto_cobrapscooter63
  • Reply 34 of 128
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    sog35 said:
    Jet Black looks AMAZING!
    Black looks AMAZING!

7+ camera is MIND BLOWING.

Water proof is a nice bonus.

This is a great new phone

and stock price?
    cali
  • Reply 35 of 128
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 282member
    The jet black one is sexy. Now that's something we haven't seen in an iPhone since the 5 series.

Apple is bringing sexy back.
    thepixeldoclostkiwinetmagecaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 36 of 128
    mcarling said:
    Only phablets? No phone-sized phone? I would have thought that Apple had learned their mistake. Many millions of customers evidently want a 4" fully featured iPhone.
    Wait until next year or the year after for the 4 inch iPhone update.  Earlier this year Apple did come out with best (at the time) 4 inch version.  The drum for the 4 inch iPhones beats slower.  Just be patient grasshopper.
    asdasdnetmagedoozydozentmaycali
  • Reply 37 of 128
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,101member
    I'm a little baffled about the assertion several times that iPhone 7 is the "first iPhone to have stereo speakers." I think technically they all had l/r channels (or at least the iPhone 5s does) but fairly, placed very close together. I agree this new geometry and capability is a significant upgrade; but maybe not "first stereo speakers?"
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 38 of 128
    Well, going through the Apple Store, I notice they don't have the SIM free version.  Maybe in a couple of months they will have them.

Reference: iPhone 7+ Jet Black 256 GB.

UPDATE:  Apple does have the SIM free or UNLOCKED version.  All one has to do is select the carrier when selecting the iPhone and in the next webpage, one will see the UNLOCKED version underneath the carrier listing.
    edited September 2016 cali
  • Reply 39 of 128
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    mrboba1 said:
    I would also like to add that whoever it was here claiming Apple would be spacing the storage prices by $150 was wrong-o. smiley 

Although they did increase the 7+ by $20 each
    Me...And I was wrong on that...bravo Apple. I can see them dropping the price tiers on iPad lines as well: $150 to $100. I'm okay with that $20 increase on Plus for the damn sexy dual cameras.
    edited September 2016 netmagedoozydozencalipscooter63
  • Reply 40 of 128
    The dimwits left the power button directly opposite the volume buttons.  So much for the single-handed operation that I loved in my 5s.  Apple's usual response:  "You're holding it wrong".  Geniuses.  Not.
    netmageartdenttimbit