Dual-lens camera to remain iPhone Plus exclusive in 2017

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 40
    Soli said:
    kamilton said:
    Also, karmically, this is a lower volume form factor, so innovation in this model spurs greater adoption = greater volume = net profit. 
    I don't know about karma, but when you're pushing engineering and manufacturing limits, you're going to have a lower-yield of an advanced component-type over a component-type that has had more time to mature in a given environment. For example, I think the ceramic casing used in the, now, high-end Apple Watch Series 2 is a testing ground for many other planned uses for mass produced ceramic products down the road.
    Yes, just like the AL 7000 of the Watch came to the phone.
    A Ceramic/composite phone would be something to behold; very very light and tough.
    edited September 2016 Solitmaywatto_cobra
  • Reply 22 of 40
    U P S E L L
    give it a rest with your paranoid nonsense. its a matter of volume -- they couldn't put OIS into the non-plus until they got better at it and freed up more space. now you're demanding they put twice the camera volume in the same space? nuts.

its not an upsell because they clearly know screen size is a preference. they can't "upsell" you to a bigger size if you like a smaller sized phone. its a simple matter of space -- the plus has room for more hardware.
    edited September 2016 zoetmbentropyswatto_cobra
  • Reply 23 of 40

Netac2015 said:
    I see little improvements to upgrade my iPhone to 7. I have 6 and and will wait for iPhone 8. I've been screwed by Apple support in the past and will wait. I was a hardcore Apple fan and bought every new phone every year. Never again. I will hold out until I see something worth the money, or switch to another phone from other brands!
    utter horse shit, and nobody believes a word of it. try again.
    watto_cobraapplepieguyurahara
  • Reply 24 of 40

Soli said:
    kamilton said:
    Also, karmically, this is a lower volume form factor, so innovation in this model spurs greater adoption = greater volume = net profit. 
    I don't know about karma, but when you're pushing engineering and manufacturing limits, you're going to have a lower-yield of an advanced component-type over a component-type that has had more time to mature in a given environment. For example, I think the ceramic casing used in the, now, high-end Apple Watch Series 2 is a testing ground for many other planned uses for mass produced ceramic products down the road.
    agreed. not sure how many folks remember but in the rumors leading up to the 4 it was thought to be a ceramic phone, even tho it turned out to be glass.
    Soli
  • Reply 25 of 40
    The camera in my 6s is very good, and the camera in the upcoming iPhone 7, along with image stabilization, will be significantly better. That's good enough for me.
    edited September 2016 watto_cobraapplepieguy
  • Reply 26 of 40
    Netac2015 said:
    I see little improvements to upgrade my iPhone to 7. I have 6 and and will wait for iPhone 8. I've been screwed by Apple support in the past and will wait. I was a hardcore Apple fan and bought every new phone every year. Never again. I will hold out until I see something worth the money, or switch to another phone from other brands!
    So 12 dislikes for simply posting an honest perspective on the feature value versus your iPhone 6.  Doesn't seem that the community here is terribly objective with, or tolerant of, opposing opinions.  I happen to agree with your remarks, my 6plus doesn't call for an upgrade, based on Apple's current incremental product release.
    edited September 2016 singularitychia
  • Reply 27 of 40
    timborama said:
    2x is virtually useless anyways.  Digital zoom can do a decent 2x anyways.  They should have had the courage to do least 3x-4x.  
    They said that 2X optical got them 4X in image quality. So there is your 4X. ;)
  • Reply 28 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Netac2015 said:
    Do you realize the iPhone 8 will be 2 years away?
  • Reply 29 of 40
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,056member
    Netac2015 said:
    Mr. 1 Post...gtfo.
    watto_cobraapplepieguy
  • Reply 30 of 40
    Netac2015 said:
    I'm afraid those who purchase the iPhone 7 now will feel very disappointed and gullible this time next year. 
  • Reply 31 of 40
    timborama said:
    2x is virtually useless anyways.  Digital zoom can do a decent 2x anyways.  They should have had the courage to do least 3x-4x.  
    Well, all their courage was focused on removing the jack. 
  • Reply 32 of 40
    foggyhill said:
    sockrolid said:
    Apple is predicted to keep the dual-camera setup debuted this week with iPhone 7 Plus an exclusive to 5.5-inch versions of its smartphone lineup in 2017 ...
    The dual-camera setup is only an interim measure.
    Eventually there will be a single optical zoom lens that can do it all yet still fit in an iPhone.
    And, along with that, I'm hoping that the "camera bump" will disappear.

So... Miracle and breaking the laws of physics is in the work?
    In theory, a larger sensor would do, but the larger opening required would look ridiculous and probably portrude more.

I wonder why both lenses are so close together. For portrait / 3D detection specifically it might be better to have more distance between the two, but I guess that for regular photo taking gradually switching between the two when zooming would cause the image to shift too much. 
  • Reply 33 of 40
    chiachia Posts: 714member
    Anahkmyg said:
    Netac2015 said:
    So 12 dislikes for simply posting an honest perspective on the feature value versus your iPhone 6.  Doesn't seem that the community here is terribly objective with, or tolerant of, opposing opinions.  I happen to agree with your remarks, my 6plus doesn't call for an upgrade, based on Apple's current incremental product release.
    The issue is whether Netac2015 is terribly objective in declaring there's "little improvement" going from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7, a statement from someone who "bought every new phone every year".  There's also the inconsistency of either omitting to purchase a 6S or confusing the "owned 6S" with an iPhone 6 which Netac2015 must also own if they're sincere with their statement.

The changes going from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7 are far more substantial than those made going from original iPhone to iPhone 3GS.
    As a "hardcore Apple fan" Netac2015 was content with buying an original iPhone, iPhone 3G and iPhone 3GS yet is now discontent with the far greater improvements going from iPhone 6 to iPhone 7.

It's these inconsistencies which make Netac2015's first post lack credibility and result in it being heavily disliked.
    edited September 2016 applepieguywatto_cobra
  • Reply 34 of 40
    Soli said:
    kamilton said:
    Indeed.  Though I still hold my Liquid Metal shares
  • Reply 35 of 40
    k2kwk2kw Posts: 2,080member
    Netac2015 said:
    Yep.   Sells of the iPhone 7 won't exceed the iPhone 6 (throw out the filler from the announcement and that show would have been barely 40 minutes - talk about weak.)   Probably about the same as the disappointing sales of the iPhone 6S.  Apple gets rid of the headphone jack but can't find a way to implement faster charging on the lightning connector.   Courage would have been switching to USB TypeC now that there is an batter alternative to the lightning connector.    The word Phil should have used is "Greed"
  • Reply 36 of 40
    timborama said:
    Well it is technically possible. Corephotonics presented a 3x telephoto and wide angle dual camera array back in 2014. It was supposed to be in phones by mid 2016 but haven't seen it in any phone yet. Earlier this year they presented an updated version with 5x telephoto, so it's definitely possible. Maybe Apple just wanted to play it safe with this first version and will increase it next year.

watto_cobra
  • Reply 37 of 40
    tzeshantzeshan Posts: 2,351member
    Hadn't realized the optical stabilization was limited to the wide angle lens. This seems counterintuitive since the telephoto lens will be far more susceptible to movement.

...not that I'd have ordered the smaller phone if I'd known this in advance, of course :)
    Could the wide angle lens be used for OIS when the telephoto lens is used for image?  Both lens are moving in the same direction right?
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 40
    I wish they had gone (much) wider... One can always zoom in, but if one can't get the shot...
    Apparently the wide is 28mm equivalent (35mm) while I'd most appreciate a 24mm or better, 21mm equivalent...
    Building wide angle in such tiny glass may in fact be an impossible challenge,
    and yet a tack sharp 21mm ultra wide f2 or better prime would be just so remarkable...
    I completely agree they should have made larger improvements in the lens stats than they did. The wide angle should have been at least 24mm (35mm equiv) and they should have also gone longer on the tele like 70mm or 100mm (35mm equiv). This would allow them to compete with the new high end point and shoot cameras like Sony RX100 IV or Canon G7X Mark II. Along with keeping the fast lens for f1.8 for the wide and no more than f2.8 for tele. These new high end point and shoots have come out due to the impacts of the great iPhone cameras but now these new breeds of point and shoot cameras are now beating the iPhone due to those specs. I am already looking forward to the next years iPhone with the hope they will have similar high end specs like 24mm to 100mm with f1.8 to f2.8.
  • Reply 39 of 40
    mike1mike1 Posts: 3,427member
    Hadn't realized the optical stabilization was limited to the wide angle lens. This seems counterintuitive since the telephoto lens will be far more susceptible to movement.

...not that I'd have ordered the smaller phone if I'd known this in advance, of course :)
    True, but maybe their research shows that the vast majority of photos are taken at the widest setting.
  • Reply 40 of 40
    foggyhill said:
    sockrolid said:
    Apple is predicted to keep the dual-camera setup debuted this week with iPhone 7 Plus an exclusive to 5.5-inch versions of its smartphone lineup in 2017 ...
    The dual-camera setup is only an interim measure.
    Eventually there will be a single optical zoom lens that can do it all yet still fit in an iPhone.
    And, along with that, I'm hoping that the "camera bump" will disappear.

So... Miracle and breaking the laws of physics is in the work?
    No.  Just relentless engineering.