Shares of AAPL surge as hype builds for Friday's iPhone 7, Apple Watch Series 2 launches

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:
    jcdinkins said:
    sog35 said:
    Apple should just change its name to iPhone, Inc. Stock rises and falls on iPhone sentiment. Nothing else matters.
    and why is this a bad thing?

Should we call Google Ads Inc?
    Or Tesla Cars Inc?

The fact is Apple is much more diversified than either of those companies. And the lock in to Apple products including the iPhone is much more powerful.

You can be giddy now but you certainly weren't when the stock was on a downward trajectory - again because of negative iPhone sentiment. This run-up right now is once again setting up unrealistic expectations on iPhone sales. If they don't exceed these expectations the stock will get hammered.
    You're wrong because the iPhone 8 tailwind will help this stock keep moving upward.  I'm not saying every day pal.  I am saying that it's moved sideways for way too long.  I've been in this since $50 pre-split.  People will continue buying the rumor for the 8 and deal with any flat numbers on the 7.  However, flat numbers don't seem to be the case here.
    Agree.  The hype for iPhone8 will be massive next March/April.
    If iPhone7 shows growth over the 6s this stock will move up fast.

The last 18 months have been event after event of bad luck for Apple. Finally things seem to be turning.
    Don't forget possible SE hype with 6s equivalent  internals. 
  • Reply 22 of 36
    sog35 said:

PRC (China) sales != Taiwan sales!

Apple doesn't sell any of their OSes they (and upgrades) are  included with the hardware.

Apple could easily allocate 30% of the sales price of iPhones to software sales.

Tons of companies do this that sell software/hardware packages.

And, the advantage of doing this is...

So you want Apple to charge $200-$300 for iOS, while Samsung et al charge $0 for Android???

Also, if they are selling their OS, Apple would have to offer an option to buy an iPhone without any OS -- otherwise it would be an illegal tie-in.

Then the Goog would port Android to the iPhone -- and the iPhone would be just another poor performing Android phone with a one-size-fits-all OS.

Crazy talk!

edited September 2016 singularity
  • Reply 23 of 36
    Carl Icahn may be kicking himself for liquidating his AAPL holdings.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 24 of 36
    davendaven Posts: 696member
    rbonner said:
    I suspect the exploding Galaxy Note report are helping things change the base purchase decision.  
    Samsung developed exploding phones so they could claim to have the hottest phones on the market. Their fanboys are saying that the iPhone is boring in comparison.
    edited September 2016 5150iiicaliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 25 of 36
    sog35 said:
    Next Apple should only report 3 categories each quarter:
    Over the past few quarters:
       1. Tim has increased focus on SERVICES as a revenue category.
       2. Tim mentioned they will NOT be reporting pre-sales quantities of iPhone units.

I wonder if these are 1st steps to prep Wall Street for a re-packaging of financial metrics in future quarters, as you suggest?

palomine
  • Reply 26 of 36
    sog35 said:

I'd say we may hit close to $120 by end of this year.
    We could see $150 by April/May 2015.
    Hmm.... what?
  • Reply 27 of 36
    What hype are they talking about? Just a few days ago it was being said that hardly anyone will be upgrading to the iPhone 7 because it lacked all sorts of innovation. I'm pretty certain this was the general consensus on the internet. I'm sure it was also said that hardly anyone will buy a iPhone without a 3.5mm audio jack because consumers are in love with their standard jack hole. Why are analysts and tech-heads so arrogant when it comes to knowing what all consumers want in a device? It's like these people are so far removed from the average consumer it's unbelievable. Why would they believe all consumers are into some tech innovation meme. Plenty of consumers like Apple products and they'll buy them even if they're not cutting-edge products. Apple still gives good customer service so why wouldn't consumers stick with a company that offers good service.
    cali
  • Reply 28 of 36
    lkrupp said:
    Okay, can we stop with the peak iPhone bullshit now?
    Peak iPhone will not go away. Every quarter will bring the same doubts back in force. I honestly don't get the hate. Practically every consumer company on the planet reaches some sort of product sales peak. It's not as though there's an unlimited number of people on the planet who can afford iPhones. Why can't these idiots figure that out and deal with that prospect. Do they really believe poverty-class consumers who can only afford $100 smartphones should be buying $1000 iPhones?
  • Reply 29 of 36
    What hype are they talking about? Just a few days ago it was being said that hardly anyone will be upgrading to the iPhone 7 because it lacked all sorts of innovation. I'm pretty certain this was the general consensus on the internet. I'm sure it was also said that hardly anyone will buy a iPhone without a 3.5mm audio jack because consumers are in love with their standard jack hole. Why are analysts and tech-heads so arrogant when it comes to knowing what all consumers want in a device? It's like these people are so far removed from the average consumer it's unbelievable. Why would they believe all consumers are into some tech innovation meme. Plenty of consumers like Apple products and they'll buy them even if they're not cutting-edge products. Apple still gives good customer service so why wouldn't consumers stick with a company that offers good service.
    One thing people should have learned by now.  Nobody.  No poster, no pundit, no pointy-headed poseur*, knows Apple's market as well as Apple does.  Not even close.  When Apple sends signals one way and some Wall Street blowhard or tech press natterer goes the other way, I will always put my money on what Apple says.  For one thing, the SEC would go after Apple if they were deliberately trying to mislead the financial markets.

*a.k.a. celebrity stock analyst
    cali
  • Reply 30 of 36
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    sog35 said:

I'd say we may hit close to $120 by end of this year.
    We could see $150 by April/May 2015.
    Hmm.... what?
    Around that time next year apple will release the iTime, a time traveling machine. 
    singularity
  • Reply 31 of 36
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
    sog35 said:
    mubaili said:
    sog35 said:
    Bought some extra shares a few weeks ago and sold them today.

Pocketed about $1100

Just enough to buy some AirPods in a few weeks.

Still holding about 1000 shares. Think this will see $150 by the end of 2017. But not making any promises this time.

Why will it reach $150? Cause Apple will show profit growth by the March2017 quarter. Then we will start seeing leaks of the iPhoneX and the hype will be at an all time high. Once this hits $150 I'll say all but about 400 shares.
    All depends on whether Apple can recover in China market. Heard a lot of chats from friends in China that they are all switching to smartphone made by Huawei. Will see. and Indeed the calendar Q1 2017/Q1 2017 will be setting the tone. 
    Switching from Apple to Huawei? That's pathetic
    Just like switching from BMW to Hyundai...utterly bs!
  • Reply 32 of 36
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    Apple should just change its name to iPhone, Inc. Stock rises and falls on iPhone sentiment. Nothing else matters.
    and why is this a bad thing?

Should we call Google Ads Inc?
    Or Tesla Cars Inc?

The fact is Apple is much more diversified than either of those companies. And the lock in to Apple products including the iPhone is much more powerful.

You can be giddy now but you certainly weren't when the stock was on a downward trajectory - again because of negative iPhone sentiment. This run-up right now is once again setting up unrealistic expectations on iPhone sales. If they don't exceed these expectations the stock will get hammered.

Heh. 

You're reaalllly struggling to find the downside today, aren't you? The success of this release (which I admit I wasn't expecting) seems to have knocked the stuffing out of you. 
    bestkeptsecret
  • Reply 33 of 36
    sog35 said:
    Bought some extra shares a few weeks ago and sold them today.

Pocketed about $1100

Just enough to buy some AirPods in a few weeks.

Still holding about 1000 shares. Think this will see $150 by the end of 2017. But not making any promises this time.

Why will it reach $150? Cause Apple will show profit growth by the March2017 quarter. Then we will start seeing leaks of the iPhoneX and the hype will be at an all time high. Once this hits $150 I'll say all but about 400 shares.

This.

This is precisely the kind of short term thinking that will have you howling all over this forum like a kicked puppy in a few months time. You'll demand that Tim Cook resign because he's the financial antichrist, and you'll scream that Apple must buy Kanye West because … you know … they gotta buy SOMETHING!

singularity
  • Reply 34 of 36
    sog35 said:

PRC (China) sales != Taiwan sales!

Apple doesn't sell any of their OSes they (and upgrades) are  included with the hardware.

Apple could easily allocate 30% of the sales price of iPhones to software sales.

Tons of companies do this that sell software/hardware packages.

And, the advantage of doing this is...

So you want Apple to charge $200-$300 for iOS, while Samsung et al charge $0 for Android???

Also, if they are selling their OS, Apple would have to offer an option to buy an iPhone without any OS -- otherwise it would be an illegal tie-in.

Then the Goog would port Android to the iPhone -- and the iPhone would be just another poor performing Android phone with a one-size-fits-all OS.

Crazy talk!

I think he's talking about a doing a bit of jiggery-pokery on the balance sheets, rather than actually charging people for the OS. In any case, I don't see Apple doing this. They see the iPhone as a complete package: hardware and software. The services is something else entirely.

The other, more pertinent, reason why it's unlikely to happen is that Sog35 suggested it, which means it's probably a bad idea for that reason alone.
    singularity
  • Reply 35 of 36

And that is how Apple plays it, which to the amateur looks like they can only focus on one thing at time.

What Apple is doing, in fact, is keeping people focussed on one thing at time. When the new Macs launch, then Apple will focus their message around that, instead of diluting the message by banging on about everything else they are doing or might be doing in the future.