Launch day iPhone 7 Plus, jet black iPhone 7 allotment sold out, Apple says

123457»

Comments

• Reply 121 of 140
    gatorguy said:
    matrix077 said:
    Soli said:
    If you think that scarcity is better than meeting demand, explain to me how not selling an iPhone benefit Apple more than selling an iPhone?
    Well in his world there's no angry customer. Everyone rejected will just be rejoice to come back for more. Isn't it fabulous?
    You should do more reading about marketing. 
    I'm working in advertising. I know LOTs about marketing. 
    williamlondon
  • Reply 122 of 140
    cpsrocpsro Posts: 3,198member
    tgr1 said:
    birko said:
    muadibe said:
    Sold out globally. Impressive. 
    Is it impressive or a marketing stunt. They sell out year after year. Why don't they just make millions more before launch - what doesn't sell will sell pre-christmas. 

It's very difficult to accurately forecast way in advance 1) the number of actual orders that will occur and 2) actual inventory approaching launch given the huge numbers Apple sells. Gets harder the more choice of models that need to be supplied. Don't forget every single component used in the phone has to be available too. Having said that, it is a little surprising that all the Plus models are already gone. Could give support to the rumor that the dual cameras were in short supply.  
    Not to mention Apple may sell over 100 million of the new iPhones in the current quarter and there's no way even 25% could be available on day 1.
    williamlondoncali
  • Reply 123 of 140
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    razormaid said:
    I'm in line. People are really really pissed. They should have set aside plus phones for the loyal people who do wait in line and not "ship whenever". 
    LOL at you calling yourself loyal and feeling entitled to have the exact size, color, capacity and carrier at the store, just for you, because of your self imposed entitlement. You're a week behind customers who not only arguably more loyal since they ordered before any reviews dropped, but also ones that were willing to be up partway through their sleep cycle in order to make a purchase.

They could have just moved launched date instead of pissing off they're customers. I mean this line is ANGRY!!  Yikes. It's not even 1/2 mile long yet like it gets each year. 
    So they should delay the launch 30 days? Why don't you wait 30 days? Oh yeah, you feel entitled to have one before anyone else in the exact model you want, without any concern for what others have already bought. Aren't you reasonable¡ 

The store manager is saying they have been told they will not get any PLUS models at brick and mortar stores for at least 30 days. The "wait list" is the online store purchase. 
    Knowing this why are still in line if you want an iPhone 7 Plus? Are you going to be one of those people that bought the 4GB iPhone in 2007 (when they ran out of the 8GB and you couldn't convince the Apple Store employee to find an extra one in the stock room that was misplaced) that will then start a class action lawsuit and claim they forced you to buy the 4.7" model when you really wanted the 5.5" device? :eyeroll:
  • Reply 124 of 140
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Reply 125 of 140
    razormaid said:
    They could have just moved launched date instead of pissing off they're customers. I mean this line is ANGRY!!  

As Mr. Spock would say, that is illogical. You are angry because you cannot buy a phone this week. Delaying the launch date would not allow you to buy the phone sooner. At most, it would make other people angry, 

She also reminded everyone in line "remember if your online order doesn't ship till Oct 12th your extended plan doesn't start till oct 12th which in turn translates into "you're not getting iPhone 8 till oct 12th either. 12 months remember?" 

It isn't 12 calendar months, It's 12 monthly payments. You can make an early payment if it's that important to you. 

williamlondon
  • Reply 126 of 140
    lonestar1 said:
    razormaid said:
    They could have just moved launched date instead of pissing off they're customers. I mean this line is ANGRY!!  

As Mr. Spock would say, that is illogical. You are angry because you cannot buy a phone this week. Delaying the launch date would not allow you to buy the phone sooner. At most, it would make other people angry, 

She also reminded everyone in line "remember if your online order doesn't ship till Oct 12th your extended plan doesn't start till oct 12th which in turn translates into "you're not getting iPhone 8 till oct 12th either. 12 months remember?" 

It isn't 12 calendar months, It's 12 monthly payments. You can make an early payment if it's that important to you. 

It comes down to a "if I can't have one then no one should" mentality. What a loyal Apple customer he is for wanting Apple's sales and all their customers to be hindered because the specific model he wants is also the same model other people want. Is this the same mentality that makes people incessantly tell you how great a band is and then get upset when you and others become a fan of the very music they promoted? It feels like the same disconnect from logic to me.
  • Reply 127 of 140
    Soli said:
    It comes down to a "if I can't have one then no one should" mentality. What a loyal Apple customer he is for wanting Apple's sales and all their customers to be hindered because the specific model he wants is also the same model other people want. Is this the same mentality that makes people incessantly tell you how great a band is and then get upset when you and others become a fan of the very music they promoted? It feels like the same disconnect from logic to me.
    Unless he's one of the people waiting on line to buy one of the high-demand models and resell it for a big markup. In which case, Apple just blew up his business model. That would explain the anger. 
    Soliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 128 of 140
    Soli said:
    glowearth said:
    Whew!! I ordered mine iPhone 7 Plus Black online and expect it this Friday! Accord to ups website, it's in Louisville, Kentucky ;)
    Congrats! I'm waiting for the Jet Black 7 Plus 256GB!
    Wait for it to ship/arrive or waiting to order when it's finally available again? I'm the latter, but with 128GB.

It'll launch in India only on the 7th of October. I'm on the pre-order list, but no guarantee on stocks.
  • Reply 129 of 140
    Soli said:
    razormaid said:
    I'm in line. People are really really pissed. They should have set aside plus phones for the loyal people who do wait in line and not "ship whenever". 
    LOL at you calling yourself loyal and feeling entitled to have the exact size, color, capacity and carrier at the store, just for you, because of your self imposed entitlement. You're a week behind customers who not only arguably more loyal since they ordered before any reviews dropped, but also ones that were willing to be up partway through their sleep cycle in order to make a purchase.

They could have just moved launched date instead of pissing off they're customers. I mean this line is ANGRY!!  Yikes. It's not even 1/2 mile long yet like it gets each year. 
    So they should delay the launch 30 days? Why don't you wait 30 days? Oh yeah, you feel entitled to have one before anyone else in the exact model you want, without any concern for what others have already bought. Aren't you reasonable¡ 

The store manager is saying they have been told they will not get any PLUS models at brick and mortar stores for at least 30 days. The "wait list" is the online store purchase. 
    Knowing this why are still in line if you want an iPhone 7 Plus? Are you going to be one of those people that bought the 4GB iPhone in 2007 (when they ran out of the 8GB and you couldn't convince the Apple Store employee to find an extra one in the stock room that was misplaced) that will then start a class action lawsuit and claim they forced you to buy the 4.7" model when you really wanted the 5.5" device? :eyeroll:
    Not a single store in 30 countries world wide had a single PLUS for sale. Are you an idiot?  Preorders clearly showed the iPhone 7 PLUS out sold the regular iPhone 7:  60% to 40%. So just using apple's own figures 60% of the population in 30 countries that wanted it didn't even get a chance to hear "We just sold our last one". No we heard in a god like booming voice worldwide "There are no colors or size configurations of half of our iPhone 7 line up. Go home. And don't return to an Apple Store before October 16th and even then maybe yes maybe no"

This was my replacement phone after 3 years.
    I was signing up for their extended plan
    To you, i was just one whiney unhappy stomping my feet in protest, Dude.
    Wrong again: It was 60% of all potential buyers worldwide.

Are you a complete idiot?  The carriers stated "this cycle is our largest cycle of people renewing their 2 year contracts since the smartphone was created. A whopping 285 million in the USA alone. And Apple thought with relatively no PLUS stock on hand to feature this model - NOT iPhone 7 regular - in their keynote??

They droned on and on about the special features that only the PLUS had...
    .... and then with 285 million in the USA alone they expanded opening day to 30 countries opening up a 60% "you're not getting a phone today" to all of those countries too?

Read apple's lips:
    "There are no iPhone 7 PLUS models in any stores, in any countries for sale on launch day.  We do not expect them for at least 30 days but we were told don't even tell the customers 30 days as they may try to buy a model they don't want then exchange within our 30 day return policy and get stuck with it when 30 days come and go and still no Plus models"

straight from apple's lips not mine. 

And what a hack you are!  Because they didn't have it and 60% of us are pissed you jump to "I'm buying it to sell it? I get what I deserve??"  What a turf. You're argument fell apart so you just change the narrative and level false accusations instead?  No I take that back.. what a twat 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 130 of 140
    So much crying because the phone you want is in high demand. Perhaps if you didn't wait to buy a new phone every 3+ years you'd understand that demand is excessively high for every Apple launch. In any regard, grow the fuck up.

• Reply 131 of 140
    You have to understand the sheer quantity of iPhones shipping from China. Last couple years it was about 74 million iPhones! (not that many on pre-order and launch day the number is for the entire financial 1st quarter) There are Boeing 747 / 777 and Airbus 380 cargo planes completely full of nothing but tightly packed iPhones leaving China several times a day every day for weeks whenever there is a new iPhone shipping.  The 777 can hold 450,000 iPhones per flight. The logistics are absolutely mind blowing. They can adjust the logistics on the fly because they know precisely where every single device is at all times.  It was Tim Cooks job to create this system originally and he was very good at it.  I believe they have a former Amazon exec running it now. The iPhones literally all arrive at the same time around the globe. It's an automated on demand just in time process. They cannot possibly take the financial risk of mis-judging the demand by producing too many as Microsoft learned the hard way when they had to write down a $900 million dollar loss when their Surface tablets were not selling and collecting dust on warehouse shelves.  

So if you were unfortunate enough to not be ready to place an order at 12am PDT when pre-orders started you are likely going to have to wait. This year they apparently dipped into the store inventory to full fill pre-orders so the stores are light on inventory with some finishes and models such as the Plus line completely sold out.  
    tmaywilliamlondon
  • Reply 132 of 140
    So if you were unfortunate enough to not be ready to place an order at 12am PDT when pre-orders started you are likely going to have to wait. This year they apparently dipped into the store inventory to full fill pre-orders so the stores are light on inventory with some finishes and models such as the Plus line completely sold out.  
    It does appear they are working to get iPhone Upgrade Program members there devices before anyone else (for which I object, as a general rule), and clearly the Plus model's popularity has grown beyond expectation this year.

Everyone will get their iPhone and those that are upset because someone they know might have it before then can go sit in a corner.
  • Reply 133 of 140
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,328member
    razormaid said:
    Soli said:
    razormaid said:

Not a single store in 30 countries world wide had a single PLUS for sale. Are you an idiot?  Preorders clearly showed the iPhone 7 PLUS out sold the regular iPhone 7:  60% to 40%. So just using apple's own figures 60% of the population in 30 countries that wanted it didn't even get a chance to hear "We just sold our last one". No we heard in a god like booming voice worldwide "There are no colors or size configurations of half of our iPhone 7 line up. Go home. And don't return to an Apple Store before October 16th and even then maybe yes maybe no"

This was my replacement phone after 3 years.
    I was signing up for their extended plan
    To you, i was just one whiney unhappy stomping my feet in protest, Dude.
    Wrong again: It was 60% of all potential buyers worldwide.

Are you a complete idiot?  The carriers stated "this cycle is our largest cycle of people renewing their 2 year contracts since the smartphone was created. A whopping 285 million in the USA alone. And Apple thought with relatively no PLUS stock on hand to feature this model - NOT iPhone 7 regular - in their keynote??

They droned on and on about the special features that only the PLUS had...
    .... and then with 285 million in the USA alone they expanded opening day to 30 countries opening up a 60% "you're not getting a phone today" to all of those countries too?

Read apple's lips:
    "There are no iPhone 7 PLUS models in any stores, in any countries for sale on launch day.  We do not expect them for at least 30 days but we were told don't even tell the customers 30 days as they may try to buy a model they don't want then exchange within our 30 day return policy and get stuck with it when 30 days come and go and still no Plus models"

straight from apple's lips not mine. 

And what a hack you are!  Because they didn't have it and 60% of us are pissed you jump to "I'm buying it to sell it? I get what I deserve??"  What a turf. You're argument fell apart so you just change the narrative and level false accusations instead?  No I take that back.. what a twat 
    Entitled much?

I desperately need an iPhone to replace mine, an iPhone 6 Plus that has lost cellular and will ultimately end up in a child's hands, so it's wifi connected for now, but even with that I'm not worrying about waiting six or eight weeks to obtain an iPhone 7 plus. I know the drill, so I'm cool with waiting knowing that Apple will soon have the product mix balanced. In the meantime, we'll all have to listen to you whiners for another month. Oh, fucking joy!!

The funniest part of this is the meme that the media was pushing that the iPhone 7 would be stale, and nobody would want it.

edited September 2016 Solicaliwilliamlondon
  • Reply 134 of 140
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    Why are people criticizing the guy who  waited in line? When in the history of Apple have they told people to go home because they didn't have a product in stock during launch day?

Are you people saying the lines, media, Apple Store employee chants and cheering while customers walk out with smiles on their faces is useless/stupid/pointless?

This is all free hype and I'm afraid next year people won't be waiting in line after this dirty move by Apple. Imagine if there's no lines next year? Imagine the headlines and lost sales(yes this could cost at least 1M in sales*) if this were to happen?

Apple screwed up bad here. I think a lot had to do with Upgrade Program buyers demanding a 7 Plus or they would sue, leave Apple etc.

*I would explain but that would take long. Just think bad experiences, no promise of stock etc. 
    gatorguy
  • Reply 135 of 140
    cali said:
    Why are people criticizing the guy who  waited in line?
    1) Apple says they sold out of x-models, y-colors, z-capacties. 

2) Guy still stands in line.

3) Apple store employees come up to tell people that, just like in previous years, they won't have x-models, y-colors, z-capacties. 

4) Guy gets upsets because he a) stood in line (even though he knew better), b) felt that Apple should find one for him because he a loyal customers (laugh).

This is all free hype 

That's right, Apple makes their money from not-selling iPhones, and needs all the hype they can get because no one has heard of them, no one woke up at 3am ET to buy the new iPhone¡
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 136 of 140
    gatorguy said:
    birko said:
    muadibe said:
    Is it impressive or a marketing stunt. They sell out year after year. Why don't they just make millions more before launch - what doesn't sell will sell pre-christmas. 
    jesus not this nonsense again. look --  corporations breathe profit. they get it by selling things. they don't get it by intentionally not selling things for "sold out!" headlines. that's insanity. real profit comes from selling real products.  not selling something now so they can sell it later doesn't make any sense. 

also, these things don't grow on trees, you can only build so many in advance. 
    Of course you can make more money using scarcity principles than meeting everyone's immediate demand if you play your cards right. It's done every day in business. I've not any idea why anyone would be up in arms if Apple would happen to be using all the marketing advantages they have at hand. Intentional or not, "not enough to meet demand" happens every year, even back when they weren't selling 10M+ at launch which wasn't all that many years ago. From all outward appearances scarcity plays to Apple's benefit, just as it does with other in-demand products. Some here act like it's cheating or something. 
    no, we just think what you're saying is stupid. very, very, very stupid. why? because apple is already the top seller of the most successful CE good in history. they don't need scarcity headlines -- they *already* can't make them fast enough. that means lost sales. that means lost profits. profits are what corporations breathe. it is their air. 

again, what you're suggesting (artificial scarcity) is very, very, very stupid.

Paraphrasing Yogi Berra:  Nobody buys them anymore -- there's too much demand!

Well the new gatorguy saying: There's too much demand -- Apple restrict supply.
  • Reply 137 of 140
    gatorguygatorguy Posts: 24,211member
    kevin kee said:
    gatorguy said:
    birko said:
    muadibe said:
    jesus not this nonsense again. look --  corporations breathe profit. they get it by selling things. they don't get it by intentionally not selling things for "sold out!" headlines. that's insanity. real profit comes from selling real products.  not selling something now so they can sell it later doesn't make any sense. 

also, these things don't grow on trees, you can only build so many in advance. 
    Of course you can make more money using scarcity principles than meeting everyone's immediate demand if you play your cards right. It's done every day in business. I've not any idea why anyone would be up in arms if Apple would happen to be using all the marketing advantages they have at hand. Intentional or not, "not enough to meet demand" happens every year, even back when they weren't selling 10M+ at launch which wasn't all that many years ago. From all outward appearances scarcity plays to Apple's benefit, just as it does with other in-demand products. Some here act like it's cheating or something. 
    no, we just think what you're saying is stupid. very, very, very stupid. why? because apple is already the top seller of the most successful CE good in history. they don't need scarcity headlines -- they *already* can't make them fast enough. that means lost sales. that means lost profits. profits are what corporations breathe. it is their air. 

again, what you're suggesting (artificial scarcity) is very, very, very stupid.

Paraphrasing Yogi Berra:  Nobody buys them anymore -- there's too much demand!

Well the new gatorguy saying: There's too much demand -- Apple restrict supply.
    I can't do much about about you making up your own story and claiming it's mine, but in the interest of honesty you should really should claim it as yours. Have the courage to own it. 

My opinion for those that didn't read the rest of th the thread is Apple doesn't really care if there's enough supply to meet demand when a new iPhone model is released. There's several pluses to a short supply of a valued product and very little downside, probably none in the case of the iPhone.  If Apple truly wanted 30M iPhones available at launch they'd make it happen. Mr Cook is a master at managing the supply chain. But they've not seen any reason to make it so IMHO.

IMO it's not an artificial restriction, it's a "don't care if there's not one for everyone that wants one on day one". Huge difference. 
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 138 of 140
    My store has every every iPhone 7 Plus available to me, except Jet Black and the 256GB capacities of the blacks. 
  • Reply 139 of 140
    Hi, I bought my iPhone from italy 7 Plus 128GB Jet Black Friday the output within the first 5 minutes. But still it must come and give me time delivery for the third week of October. Do you think it's normal? It seems exaggerated as timing.
    Thank you!