iPhone 7 teardown confirms Intel modem in AT&T, T-Mobile models

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 25
    wood1208 said:
    kpom said:
    roake said:
    I purchased the unlocked version of the phone at full price specifically so that I could have both the GSM and CDMA coverage since I routinely travel to other countries that utilize CDMA.  Since I'm with AT&T in the USA, a fear I am receiving that GSM-only version.
    The AT&T one does not support CDMA this year. Hopefully next year it does. However if you are able to get the Verizon version "device only" it will support AT&T. If you have an in-store reservation I'd ask.
    Do you 100% certainly know or just making educated guess ? Apple web site iPhone 7 tech spec don't differentiate the lack of CDMA in models Model A1660 and Model A1661
    Yes, see these links:

Apple iPhone 7 baseband
    Are there differences between an iPhone for AT&T or T-Mobile and an iPhone for Sprint or Verizon Wireless?

iPhone offers the same innovative features regardless of the wireless carrier you choose. If you choose AT&T or T-Mobile as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use 3G cellular technology for voice services and either 3G or 4G LTE cellular technology for data services. iPhone can roam internationally on many GSM carriers around the world. If you buy iPhone with AT&T or T-Mobile, it will not work on Sprint or Verizon Wireless.

If you choose Sprint or Verizon Wireless as your wireless carrier, your iPhone will use CDMA cellular technology for voice and data services. If you buy an unlocked iPhone with Verizon or Sprint, it will work on AT&T or T-Mobile. An iPhone activated on Sprint or Verizon Wireless also has the ability to roam internationally on GSM networks. For details on LTE network support, please see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE

For list of carriers see www.apple.com/iphone/LTE

For specs see  https://support.apple.com/kb/SP743?locale=en_US

Differences between models (read comments re world phone)  https://www.techwalls.com/iphone-7-plus-model-differences/

The two models you note (A1660 & A1661) are the iPhone 7 (CDMA) and iPhone 7+ (CDMA) models respectively, aka the Verizon/Sprint models.  Those are world phones in that they can handle any carrier (CDMA, TD-SCMA and GSM).  

I can confirm today that these phones are unlocked at the Apple store (either purchasing new or under the upgrade program), and that an AT&T sim will work in these models.  

It is very important to note that if you are an AT&T or Sprint customer you have the new Intel chip in the new GSM phones, which may have some advantages (to be determined) and Apple suggests that you stick with models A1778 and A1784 (iPhone 7 (GSM) and iPhone 7+ (GSM)).  For myself I need a world phone as I travel extensively and am not locked to a carrier in the US (I have AT&T now, but no contract, and may want to switch to Verizon or Sprint).

• Reply 22 of 25
    dcgoodcgoo Posts: 280member
    I bought the 6S+ last year on the iPhone Upgrade Program (AT&T).  

I managed to pick up a Verizon A1661 this morning, to use with my AT&T SIM.  I am afraid I have really butchered my Verizon account in the process. Previously I had data only devices on Verizon. Phones on AT&T.  Beware, the iPhone Upgrade Program REQUIRES you to Upgrade or Activate a working voice number.  Data only numbers won't work. My only choice was to walk out with fully activated new Verizon phone and number. I really did not want the "made for AT&T version of the phone.  I made sure I did not turn it on before replacing the Verizon SIM with my AT&T SIM.  Maybe I can "return" the plan in the next few days.

For those waiting for the SIM-Free version...  Guess what?  It is not possible to buy a SIM-free phone on the iPhone upgrade program, because of the activation requirement. I am afraid the IPU is not all it was cracked up to be. I don't know if I will stick with it next year. I am a little disappointed.  But I do have a real spiffy new phone, in black!
  • Reply 23 of 25
    AT&T+T-Mobile>>Verizon+Sprint as far as the number of customers are concerned. 

GSM is the world wide standard anyhow. There are a few countries that use CDMA, but making international calls using Verizon overseas service is quite costly. It would be better to get a prepaid local phone. 

Unless one desires to switch from AT&T or T-Mobile to Verizon, the whole issue is moot. I really doubt that Intel modem phones are going to sell for much less than QCOM ones in the used market anyhow. I am on AT&T and if I were to switch, it would be to T-Mobile. Verizon's over priced service and Sprint's inferior service wouldn't be considered at all. 

Eliminating QCOM from the supply chain is a very good move. This is only the first step in the process. With Intel's business will come access to some of their other advanced technology such as 3D Xpoint memory which QCOM could never offer to Apple. Intel's modems are going to soon seriously outperform QCOM offerings anyhow. 

I've been on an iPhone since the initial release and when Cingular which later became AT&T was the exclusive carrier. Used iPhones have always commanded a premium price no matter the network. 
    You don't seem to understand that the Verizon/Sprint version comes GSM unlocked. You can switch to any US carrier plus goes overseas with it. The AT&T/Tmobile version can only be used for those networks and overseas. The better choice is a VZ/Sprint version because of the added flexibility, plus resale value. 
  • Reply 24 of 25
    DangDave said:
    For the iPhone 7 the "World" phones are models A1660 and A1661, which is also what you will get from Verizon and Sprint. You can pop in a GSM sim from anywhere in the world.

To work on a CDMA network they must be provisioned by the provider. 
    That's not the case anymore with VZW/Sprint. Once you pop in the LTE SIM the CDMA part gets provisioned automatically if the phone is US unlocked. 
  • Reply 25 of 25
    This modem things'd better be working when iPhone7 arrives in South Africa