T-Mobile users complain about iOS 10 carrier settings causing service blackouts [ux2]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 32
    I've seen such issues before so it's not limited to T-Mobile US. Or to Apple - saw similar behavior in a carrier specific VoIP enabled version of S6 Edge.

The baseband processor blacklists the current band under certain abnormal conditions - I guess the idea was to switch to a band with better signal or less interference. The end result is not so good if there is no other base station around to accept the phone in other band.

And before blaming T-MO or Apple too much - most of the obscure radio related parameters in the carrier bundle are passed straight to the Qualcomm chip.
    brian green
  • Reply 22 of 32
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    sog35 said:
    I'm assuming Sog meant T-Mobile screwed up not Apple (as he said no to the carrier update). Which is why I asked the question I did. If the problems was caused by a carrier update is that something Apple would be providing the fix for?
    Yes I am blaming T-mobile.

Why? Cause only T-mobile phones that DOWNLOADED the CARRIER UPDATE is affected.
    Sprint, AT&T, ect phones have ZERO problems.
    And T-mobile phones that didn't download the carrier update from T-mobile are not affected either (my phone)

its pretty obvious who screwed this up.

Apple is providing support because they have deep knowlege of the iPhone and Tmobile does buy millions of iPhones from them every year.
    It is in Apple's best interest that Tmobile customers with iPhones are happy.

P.S. - it must burn you that Apple is up 20% the last few weeks and the iPhone 7 is killing it. Sorry.
    1) Then the update about Apple working on an iOS 10 fix needs to be clarified.

2) It's certainly possible that Apple may have done something that affects only a single carrier. By your reasoning, if I have you have an issue with Mac OS X, it must be your fault if you can't find anyone else experiencing this bug. I've documented many a bug before anyone else over the years.
  • Reply 23 of 32
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    1) Then the update about Apple working on an iOS 10 fix needs to be clarified.

2) It's certainly possible that Apple may have done something that affects only a single carrier. By your reasoning, if I have you have an issue with Mac OS X, it must be your fault if you can't find anyone else experiencing this bug. I've documented many a bug before anyone else over the years.
    1. It was Tmobile that said Apple is working on a fix. Not Apple. Looks like typical passing the blame

2. Sure bugs happen. But this one is obvious. 

Don't have Tmobile? iPhone works perfectly
    Didn't update Tmobile carrier update? iPhone works perfectly
    Update Tmobile update?  iPhone is messed up

Its simple logic. But go ahead and try spin it anyway you want. But Tmobile screwed up.

I'm a Tmobile customer and have been mostly happy with their service. But I have to call a spade a spade.
    Explain to me how carrier settings are formatted then explain to me how it's impossible that it can't be Apple's fault is T-Mobile is, say, using a new LTE setting that no other carrier is using but that Apple overlooked in their testing that is causing this temporary issue?
  • Reply 24 of 32
    sog35 said:
    Soli said:
    sog35 said:
    Explain to me how carrier settings are formatted then explain to me how it's impossible that it can't be Apple's fault is T-Mobile is, say, using a new LTE setting that no other carrier is using but that Apple overlooked in their testing that is causing this temporary issue?
    cause people without iOS10 and who updated their carrier setting on their Tmobile iPhones are having problems also
    Could be a longstanding problem. Based on the issue, it seems most likely to be an issue with T-Mobile, but you fail to see that there isn't enough information available to arrive at the conclusion. You're foolish to think that the delivery system, which seems to go through Apple, can't have an affect on installations, even though we've seem that happen a couple times this year from Apple and their own Software Update on iOS.

Perhaps you can understand the issue with SW a little better if you think about how A/V files work. Some players are more accommodating when it comes to errors and missing data than others. Surely you've experienced that at some point.
  • Reply 25 of 32
    I do have the problem. I am OK to receive calls and texts, but I can't get emails and can't access some of the data apps without wifi. I do get incoming notification but it times out indefinitely.
  • Reply 26 of 32
    I have been using the public beta since it was released. The area that I am in doesn't have the best coverage as of yet, and what I noticed was that the places that I did have coverage, that coverage got worse with iOS10. I actually assumed maybe it was a carrier update (the public beta was 25.0) but I did send feedback to apple expressing my concern about coverage becoming worse. With update 25.1 it became non existent. So wonder if its a combo of iOS10 and carrier update?
  • Reply 27 of 32
    I use a T Mobile hotspot and the first time I tried using it with my iPad mini after updating to iOS 10, it would not connect.  Hmm. I wonder if this is the same problem
  • Reply 28 of 32
    T-mobile. I switched a year ago from AT&T. Wonderful free texting and data (tho sometimes slow--plenty for email and maps) in almost every country I have visited (all but Cuba). Calling when in Mexico as tho in the USA. Wifi calling. The catch? Calling. Reception. Using the phone. Rural? I have to use wifi calling over my company-supplied myfi unit. So most everything is great, even the rate, except phone calling in the USA. UnCarrier means un-connecting from calls, folks un-able to hear you, phone un-able to get reception. And, in my I hope rare case, a salesperson from Portland Oregon Cascade Station un-able to follow up on promises made (other staff and national staff were finally to help mend the fences). So beware. I LOVE the idea. I just wish I had the roaming and reception freedom I had with AT&T. What's that old saying, you get what you pay for. Buyer beware if the phone part of your phone is important to your life.
  • Reply 29 of 32
    This occurred on my iPad Pro with T-Mobile. Restarting fixed it.
  • Reply 30 of 32
    For what it's worth, this just happened to me about a week ago with the 9.3.5 iOS update and my AT&T iPhone 5S. At the end of the iOS update there was a carrier update, and after that I had "No Service". I tried everything imaginable with both AT&T and Apple tech support, but nothing worked. Apple finally decided something was wrong with the hardware and they would need to replace the phone, but it would take a couple days to get the exact model/capacity I have from another store. I had no cell service for four days between all the troubleshooting and waiting for a replacement phone. Thankfully the new phone seems to be working fine. The first message I received after I restored from my backup was that a new update (9.3.5) was available, do I want to install? Umm... no thanks.
    edited September 2016
  • Reply 31 of 32
    "T-Mobile customers lose their cellular connection in places where they should otherwise have a signal" pretty much describes every moment I have been with T-Mobile. Changing to Verizon as soon as my new phone arrives, and don't let the door hit your shitty service on the way out...