General iPod purchasing questions

Posted:
in General Discussion edited January 2014
Well, while bitching about iPods in another thread, I decided I desperately need one, now. So, I found a payable one (10 GB for 400 euro? - 100 euro off retail).

My questions:

- the 10 GB model had a bad name (buggy). Are the newer ones improved?

- how do I know if I'm dealing with a new/old one?

- can you use your iPod in a drag-drop fashion (to transfer music) or is it itunes only? (you see it: I'm ignorant when it comes to ipods).

- any other remarks?

Comments

• Reply 1 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    I haven't heard anything bad about the 10Gb iPods personally.

Music transfers are done totally in iTunes. This is to prevent someone from putting their music on the iPod, then going to a friend's house and copying it to their friend's Mac. It'll only sync with one computer at a time.

There are ways around that. Just do a search on <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com"; target="_blank">www.versiontracker.com</a> and you'll find some utilities that will let you copy files back and forth from the iPod.
  • Reply 2 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    I don't really mind the unidirectionality. I'm used to that (used to be a minidisc man myself). I also like to keep my mp3's on cd-rs for safekeeping (although that IS a single point of failure).

It's just that I did hear bad things of the 10 Giggers (though probably first generation ones).
  • Reply 3 of 11
    emaneman Posts: 7,204member
    I've had my 10GB iPod for 2 weeks and have yet to have a problem with it.
  • Reply 4 of 11
    paulpaul Posts: 5,278member
    well there are 2 versions of the 10 gig iPod... the "old" ones that didnt come with remotes and still used the old scroll wheel that isnt touch sensitive and a bit thicker then the new ones that have the touch wheel and remote and case...

if it doesnt come with a case and remote it is the "old" iPod
  • Reply 5 of 11
    satchmosatchmo Posts: 2,699member
    [quote]Originally posted by der Kopf:

<strong>

It's just that I did hear bad things of the 10 Giggers (though probably first generation ones).</strong><hr></blockquote>

Not sure if it's been rectified but yes, the 10 and 20 gig versions "hang" after twenty or so minutes of jogging. So if you're a runner, get the 5 gig.
  • Reply 6 of 11
    der kopfder kopf Posts: 2,275member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

Not sure if it's been rectified but yes, the 10 and 20 gig versions "hang" after twenty or so minutes of jogging. So if you're a runner, get the 5 gig.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Well. I'm a bit in between I guess, as I consider myself a walker. How about that? That isn't so 'shocking' for the machine, but...

Question: any users here have known said problem while jogging?
  • Reply 7 of 11
    I'm a runner. I used to run with my original 5 gig iPod when those first came out, and now i run with my 20 gig iPod. No problems with either, and i usually run for about an hour at a time. So, as far as i've seen, niether generation has had a problem with "hanging" or anythingl like that. Flawless for me .
  • Reply 8 of 11
    [quote]Originally posted by Kesh:

<strong>

There are ways around that. Just do a search on <a href="http://www.versiontracker.com"; target="_blank">www.versiontracker.com</a> and you'll find some utilities that will let you copy files back and forth from the iPod.</strong><hr></blockquote>

Hmm. I don't have one, but is it not as easy as tarring the mp3 and sending it over via firewire disk mode?
  • Reply 9 of 11
    thuh freakthuh freak Posts: 2,664member
    [quote]Originally posted by Splinemodel:

<strong>

Hmm. I don't have one, but is it not as easy as tarring the mp3 and sending it over via firewire disk mode?</strong><hr></blockquote>

the songs are actually held in several hidden folders, within a level or two of hidden folders on the 'pod. you can get at them from the terminal [of course], but i haven't ventured to throwing them over as much as ripping them out from there. i don't fully kno the structure of the folders (they got weird names, tho its clear whats inside them [mp3s]). and the music isn't tarred. its strate up mp3s.

those folders within folders of coarse are only avail when the 'pod is in fiwi mode. its easy enough to throw songs at the pod with itunes [and hella efficient for large amoutns of songs]. if u were to simply put mp3s in the root dir of the pod [or selfmade sub folders], i sincerely doubt the pod will access them in normal play-mode.
  • Reply 10 of 11
    keshkesh Posts: 621member
    [quote]Originally posted by satchmo:

<strong>

Not sure if it's been rectified but yes, the 10 and 20 gig versions "hang" after twenty or so minutes of jogging. So if you're a runner, get the 5 gig.</strong><hr></blockquote>

That's because all iPods have a 20-minute "buffer" for storing music in RAM. When jogging, you're shocking the HD continually, so it just parks the read head to prevent damaging the disk. Thus, it only has the music in RAM to play from until you stop moving (where it can load more).