Apple, Silicon Valley raised millions to fund Hillary Clinton platform backing tech's positions on

Comments

• Reply 21 of 84
    Clinton is just trying to keep her emails from the public. What a corrupt soul.
    edited September 2016 tallest skilthewhitefalconmacseekercullyrbelizexixo
  • Reply 22 of 84
    This is a cheap ad hominem.
    I’m not sure I see how; apologies. He’s quite plainly biased–perhaps even outright paid, as we know she does that–and so calling attention to that when the opponent’s supporters are equally vocal (but of their own volition) hardly seems like an ad-hom.
    mobird said:
    What a corrupt soul.
    You assert she still has one?  ;)
    edited September 2016 patchythepiraterbelizexixo
  • Reply 23 of 84

And if your "conscience" doesn't involve how candidates talk about women, muslims and journalists, then that says more about you and your values than anything else. 
    Should they care about dead ambassadors? What about a candidate who called black people "Superpredators"? 
    tallest skilmacseekercullypatchythepiraterbelizexixo
  • Reply 24 of 84
    kenc said:
    And what about tax policy? One of Hillary's economic advisors, Joe Stiglitz said "Here we have the largest corporation in capitalization not only in America, but in the world, bigger than GM was at its peak, and claiming that most of its profits originate from about a few hundred people working in Ireland — that’s a fraud ... Our current tax system encourages companies to keep their money abroad, opens up a vast loophole through what is called the transfer-pricing system that allows them not only to keep their money abroad but, effectively, to escape taxation." He seems to say that Apple is transferring US income to Ireland, which has never been shown to be the case, rather EU income has been transferred to Ireland. Are we sure we can trust the Clintons?
    And yet, that's a Clinton advisor, not Clinton herself. 

Trump himself claimed Apple doesn't pay taxes, and on top of that says he will dictate that Apple moves its manufacturing to the US, which is simply impossible and the ravings of a cartoonish simpleton. 

So really, who do you trust: a politician seeking to incrementally improve upon the status quo, or a charlatan con man lying and boasting and stroking off racist white supremacists?
    If Trump is a racist, then Hillary must be a truth-telling, law-abiding, fit as a fiddle absolute delight.

i believe both of those statements are patently false.
    tallest skilcullypatchythepiraterbelizexixo
  • Reply 25 of 84
    mobird said:
    They're all out except her private email, say so the state dept.
    The FBI recovered the deleted ones from other sources.

Trump;s using his god damn slush fund foundation for tax evasion ( so says a bunch of Washington post articles) while
    despite months of going after the Clinton foundation which actually helps 11M people, nobody has got anything (and they're rated A).

He's knee deep in Russian and Chinese debt (so says another bit of reporting) and 4 people on his team had/have close Russian ties.

Trump just admitted during the god damn debate paying no taxes too; no wonder he wants his tax return shown (even though the IRS says he can do it).

edited September 2016 lostkiwitmaybadmonkronnmobiusafrodriai46DanielEranmontrosemacsbaconstang
  • Reply 26 of 84
    jdwjdw Posts: 1,324member
    jdw said:
    ...Gary Johnson or Jill Stein too.
    Two people who are 5% and 1% in the polls, respectively?

If you know, why don't you tell us? In fact, I challenge you to tell us. 
    Folks, you know full well that if the mainstream media, including tech media like AppleInsider, would put those supposedly "irrelevant candidates" in the face of Americans perpetually, those candidates would no longer be as "irrelevant" as you contend in the minds of most Americas.  Yes, that's right -- the media shapes how we voters think insofar as our brains tend to only think about those candidates that are placed in front of our face continually.  Hide a valid candidate from our eyes and we think they are irrelevant.  Funny how that works.

If a candidate has no chance of winning in America, it's not necessarily due to their platform policies or lack of knowledge on non-tech related matters like Aleppo.  Sadly, it all comes down to "advertising."  And guess which two parties get the most advertising, which is not necessarily tied to money, but what the media decides to advertise.  People bash Johnson for Aleppo and a couple other things you can count on one hand.  Try counting all the major verbal gaffs of Clinton or Trump even using 2 hands.  And by the way, I am not really fond of Johnson or Stein, yet I seek to have them included.  Ponder that.

As to why I don't add to the AppleInsider article, that's obvious.  I am not a writer for AppleInsider and it is therefore their responsibility to include candidates who are outside the Donkeys or Elephants.  (And I say this as a long time registered Elephant, by the way.)
    nolamacguyRobJenkrbelize
  • Reply 27 of 84
    foggyhill said:
    You believing something like this is the reason the country has gone to shit.
    despite months of going after the Clinton foundation which actually helps 11M people, nobody has got anything (and they're rated A).
    Seriously, get help for whatever ails you. No one with an ounce of honesty or knowledge about the topic at hand could say this.
    patchythepiraterbelizexixo
  • Reply 28 of 84
    foggyhill said:
    Seriously, get help for whatever ails you. No one with an ounce of honesty or knowledge about the topic at hand could say this.
    https://www.charitywatch.org/ratings-and-metrics/bill-hillary-chelsea-clinton-foundation/478

Rating = A

https://www.charitynavigator.org/index.cfm?bay=search.summary&orgid=16680

Overall Rating = 94.74 out of 100
    lostkiwitmaysingularityronnmontrosemacsboopthesnootbaconstang
  • Reply 29 of 84
    mattinozmattinoz Posts: 2,299member
    jdw said:
    jdw said:

Folks, you know full well that if the mainstream media, including tech media like AppleInsider, would put those supposedly "irrelevant candidates" in the face of Americans perpetually, those candidates would no longer be as "irrelevant" as you contend in the minds of most Americas.  Yes, that's right -- the media shapes how we voters think insofar as our brains tend to only think about those candidates that are placed in front of our face continually.  Hide a valid candidate from our eyes and we think they are irrelevant.  Funny how that works.

If a candidate has no chance of winning in America, it's not necessarily due to their platform policies or lack of knowledge on non-tech related matters like Aleppo.  Sadly, it all comes down to "advertising."  And guess which two parties get the most advertising, which is not necessarily tied to money, but what the media decides to advertise.  People bash Johnson for Aleppo and a couple other things you can count on one hand.  Try counting all the major verbal gaffs of Clinton or Trump even using 2 hands.  And by the way, I am not really fond of Johnson or Stein, yet I seek to have them included.  Ponder that.

As to why I don't add to the AppleInsider article, that's obvious.  I am not a writer for AppleInsider and it is therefore their responsibility to include candidates who are outside the Donkeys or Elephants.  (And I say this as a long time registered Elephant, by the way.)
    Yes the two party system is a convention not a requirement and every western democracy has rules built around the fact the elected representatives will need to form consensus not just turn up with one to install. Yet we let them get away with claiming that anything other than 1 majority party will render the system broken or worse still that one party having a majority should give them free reign to do what they want.

Even with a majority of voters Math just doesn't support their claim they represent the will of the people.
    *Noting I say this as Australian not an American but as far as I can tell both our systems seem on the broken side.
    jdwnolamacguy
  • Reply 30 of 84
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,286member
    Great article DED.  As an independent, i am convinced Apple's most pressing immediate threat is a Trump presidency.  His talk of an Apple boycott over encryption , the sabotaging of international and trade relationships, forcing the return of iPhone manufacturing to the US, etc is ultimately bad for business.  This is why major business leaders are supporting Clinton.  You can argue that they are doing it out of self-interest, but Trump does not understand the way modern business runs.  And talk about currency and the Federal Reserve maybe valid points but it is not enough to make up for his faults.
    ronnafrodriai46DanielEranbaconstang
  • Reply 31 of 84
    "Apple's chief executive Tim Cook donated $50,000 to co-host an event that brought in more than $2,700 from 375 attendees."

Is that a typo?

If not Cook paid $133 per head to convince the attendees to stump up $7.20 each.
    ronnSpamSandwich
  • Reply 32 of 84
    I can't believe out of 400 million Americans we get to chose from these two losers!
    320 million, and it’ll be under 300 after Trump has fixed the problem.
    If Trump really gets into power,I suspect that much more than 20 million people will leave the USA, unfortunately for them those that would have emigrated to the UK will now probably have to move to Scotland, after us Little Britains showed that we too can be swayed by racist dickheads (see: Nigel Farage).

ai46mobiusmontrosemacsbaconstang
  • Reply 33 of 84
    tmaytmay Posts: 6,312member
    hungover said:
    "Apple's chief executive Tim Cook donated $50,000 to co-host an event that brought in more than $2,700 from 375 attendees."

Is that a typo?

If not Cook paid $133 per head to convince the attendees to stump up $7.20 each.
    Maximum allowable contribution directly to a candidate per election cycle is $2700, so that would be  $1,012,500 in contributions for the event.
    baconstang
  • Reply 34 of 84
    badmonk said:
    Great article DED.  As an independent, i am convinced Apple's most pressing immediate threat is a Trump presidency.  His talk of an Apple boycott over encryption , the sabotaging of international and trade relationships, forcing the return of iPhone manufacturing to the US, etc is ultimately bad for business.  This is why major business leaders are supporting Clinton.  You can argue that they are doing it out of self-interest, but Trump does not understand the way modern business runs.  And talk about currency and the Federal Reserve maybe valid points but it is not enough to make up for his faults.
    I don't have a dog in this fight (I live in the UK) but would you really put the needs of one tech firm above the greater good of your fellow citizens?

gatorguycullypatchythepirateslingwingrbelizexixo
  • Reply 35 of 84
    mattinoz said:
    jdw said:
    jdw said:

Yes the two party system is a convention not a requirement and every western democracy has rules built around the fact the elected representatives will need to form consensus not just turn up with one to install. Yet we let them get away with claiming that anything other than 1 majority party will render the system broken or worse still that one party having a majority should give them free reign to do what they want.

Even with a majority of voters Math just doesn't support their claim they represent the will of the people.
    *Noting I say this as Australian not an American but as far as I can tell both our systems seem on the broken side.
    At least you have a none of the above option. I wish we had that in the UK but i suspect that the politicians don't want their lack of popularity to be officially recorded. Mind you it might stop the votes cast for the (very) extreme parties.
  • Reply 36 of 84
    foggyhill said:
    What you meant to state is that facts have a bias against your POV, which is a sad for you.

From what the debate showed, Trump either had a case of sniffles from some malady, making him obviously unfit for President, or as some wags have pointed out, may have had debate help from an illegal substance. Either way, the over prepared woman is noted to have easily defeated Trump in a debate. Some are calling his the worst Presidential debate performance ever, while still others are calling it the worst political debate performance ever, on any level.

No one could possibly imagine that Silicon Valley would back the most rational and likely candidate.

ronnai46DanielEranmontrosemacsbaconstang
  • Reply 37 of 84
    kenc said:
    And what about tax policy? One of Hillary's economic advisors, Joe Stiglitz said "Here we have the largest corporation in capitalization not only in America, but in the world, bigger than GM was at its peak, and claiming that most of its profits originate from about a few hundred people working in Ireland — that’s a fraud ... Our current tax system encourages companies to keep their money abroad, opens up a vast loophole through what is called the transfer-pricing system that allows them not only to keep their money abroad but, effectively, to escape taxation." He seems to say that Apple is transferring US income to Ireland, which has never been shown to be the case, rather EU income has been transferred to Ireland. Are we sure we can trust the Clintons?
    And yet, that's a Clinton advisor, not Clinton herself. 

Trump himself claimed Apple doesn't pay taxes, and on top of that says he will dictate that Apple moves its manufacturing to the US, which is simply impossible and the ravings of a cartoonish simpleton. 

So really, who do you trust: a politician seeking to incrementally improve upon the status quo, or a charlatan con man lying and boasting and stroking off racist white supremacists?
    And Hillary says raising taxes on the rich and corporations will pay for all of the free things she wants which is impossible.
    cullySpamSandwichtallest skilxixo
  • Reply 38 of 84
    mobird said:
    Imagine wanting to keep your emails from the public, what's the world coming to? 
    tmayronnafrodribaconstang
  • Reply 39 of 84
    gtrgtr Posts: 3,231member
    It is with resounding sadness that I read this article and many of the posts that followed.

I have learned so much recently and the world is not what I thought it was.

America used to be such an incredible country. I thought it would always be that way. How ignorant I was.

Unfortunately it is being destroyed by greed, stupidity and, ironically, the desire of many people to do, what they believe to be, the right thing.

It is sad to see a country die and even sadder to see people fighting to make it happen. The irony of how this is occurring has not been lost on me.

I never thought that good could be a bad thing, that intelligent people could act so incredibly foolish, or that attempting to help others could be so self-destructive.

I hope Trump gets elected come November. Many of you will not understand why.

At least with the wild card you will have a (small) chance. However, if people decide to try and fix what politicians over the decades have done to your country with yet another politician then, unfortunately, we all pretty much deserve what happen afterwards.

America. War, and worse, is coming for you.

And Trump will have nothing to do with it.

I'm quite aware of how melodramatic that sounds. This statement is nothing compared to what will follow.

Those who do not heed history are doomed to repeat it.
    gatorguycullypatchythepiratetallest skilslingwingrbelizexixo
  • Reply 40 of 84
    gtr said:
    It is with resounding sadness that I read this article and many of the posts that followed.

I have learned so much recently and the world is not what I thought it was.

America used to be such an incredible country. I thought it would always be that way. How ignorant I was.

Unfortunately it is being destroyed by greed, stupidity and, ironically, the desire of many people to do, what they believe to be, the right thing.

It is sad to see a country die and even sadder to see people fighting to make it happen. The irony of how this is occurring has not been lost on me.

I never thought that good could be a bad thing, that intelligent people could act so incredibly foolish, or that attempting to help others could be so self-destructive.

I hope Trump gets elected come November. Many of you will not understand why.

At least with the wild card you will have a (small) chance. However, if people decide to try and fix what politicians over the decades have done to your country with yet another politician then, unfortunately, we all pretty much deserve what happen afterwards.

America. War, and worse, is coming for you.

And Trump will have nothing to do with it.

I'm quite aware of how melodramatic that sounds. This statement is nothing compared to what will follow.

Those who do not heed history are doomed to repeat it.
    Oh yes; if only there could be a revolution, America will be saved. /s

That's what you mean by a "wild card"; burn the place down and start over, and no, I don't have a fucking clue why you would think that. 
    ronnafrodriai46baconstang