Apple planning to launch new MacBook Pro with OLED touch bar in late October - report

Comments

• Reply 21 of 79
    The MBP lives! I wonder if the same can be said for the Mac Pro and Mac mini?
    williamlondontallguy
  • Reply 22 of 79
    sdw2001sdw2001 Posts: 18,032member
    Just got a 2.2ghz 16GB 15" for work through Donors Choose.  Can't complain but <sigh>
  • Reply 23 of 79
    jkichline said:
    Please make it available in Jet Black!
    Or even just Black would be awesome. Don't see Jet Black happening, with the yield issues they're having on the much smaller iPhone chassis.
    kllnspr3canukstorm
  • Reply 24 of 79
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Semi on-topic:

I wonder if Apple will call the next version of macOS "11"?  In 2017 we could have number synchronization across the two major OSes:
      - macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    I think it's more likely that Apple would start referring to iOS releases by a new series of codenames than care about the numbers being the same.
  • Reply 25 of 79
    What about apps that need the F1-F12 function keys to work? 
  • Reply 26 of 79
    Will we get a keyboard with the function touch bar so older systems and new iMacs can keep up?
    caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 79
    cali said:
    Jet black with "invisible" touch bar would be beautiful.
    I vote for Jet Black as well.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 79
    tzterri said:
    ...as I cling to my trusty 17" mbp... Oh how a 'portable desktop' cool running quad core retina option with 16GB+ of ram would be welcome...
    Same here
    Well, I'd appreciate that as well but I already surrendered all hope to ever see a release of a sane MBP again. At least Apple has fessed up to their manufacturing defect with the GPU so hopefully my 2011 MBP will live another few years before I end up in the serious dilemma what to buy next...
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 79
    anomeanome Posts: 1,545member
    Will we get a keyboard with the function touch bar so older systems and new iMacs can keep up?

They only just released the Magic Keyboard without the bar. Might be a bit of a backlash to replace it so soon.

fallenjt said:
    cali said:
    Jet black with "invisible" touch bar would be beautiful.
    I vote for Jet Black as well.
    Lovely as it would be, might be a bit of a production nightmare. Which is a nuisance, because I would love to have my MacBook Pro match my iPhone, but I'll take the matte Black instead.
  • Reply 30 of 79
    Love this new LED Touch bar on MBP. Together with macOS and its "Hey Siri", MBP will be on a hottest list of Christmas gifts.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 31 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    What about apps that need the F1-F12 function keys to work? 
    Why can't they?
    fastasleeppscooter63watto_cobra
  • Reply 32 of 79
    jkichline said:
    Please make it available in Jet Black!
    Doesn't have to be jet black, which I understand is an expensive process.   A flat black would be fine.  Hell painted black would be good.

Otherwise, I'm going to have to put mine in a black case. 

I'm tired of the "titanium powerbook" look we've been with for 16 years!
  • Reply 33 of 79

...as I cling to my trusty 17" mbp... Oh how a 'portable desktop' cool running quad core retina option with 16GB+ of ram would be welcome...
    I don't understand this.  I prefer the smaller screen, in fact, I'd be happy with a 13" -- if it had the GPU and preferably 32GB of RAM.  I use my laptop in two places mainly- home and work, and I have external displays there much, much larger than 17".  Hell a 4k display in the 40" range can be had for $500. 

The only time I really use the laptop screen is when traveling.  

So I don't even need it to be retina. 
  • Reply 34 of 79

adrayven said:
    If they are doing a retina 5k monitor.. it MUST have built-in GPU in the monitor. Their is no way to power a 5k w/o the custom graphics controller chip and the Display Port 2.0, which Thunderbolt 3 does not support.

So only way this happens, is a built in GPU, custom chip, and Apple starts supporting directly, external GPU docks similar to what others like Razer with the Razer Core external GPU box.
    This is fine- I'd be happy with an external GPU.  Just want Apple to support it in software... and I want it to be compelling.  EG: either AMD or NVIDIA's current high end GPUs, or give us a choice. 
    tallguy
  • Reply 35 of 79
    sphericspheric Posts: 2,671member
    Semi on-topic:

I wonder if Apple will call the next version of macOS "11"?  In 2017 we could have number synchronization across the two major OSes:
      - macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    At that point why not just unify OS branding and call it appleOS?
    Why doesn't Mercedes just unify class branding from A-class, C-class, E-class, S-class, V-class, etc. and call it "Mercedes class"?
    chia
  • Reply 36 of 79
    spheric said:
    Semi on-topic:

- macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    Why doesn't Mercedes just unify class branding from A-class, C-class, E-class, S-class, V-class, etc. and call it "Mercedes class"?
    wrong analogy. I'm talking about unifying the branding of the OS, not the hardware.
    williamlondon
  • Reply 37 of 79
    Apple should bring latest standard ports to all devices: USB 3.1 Type-C (reversible) Generation 2 (10 Gbps), Thunderbolt 3 and SDXC with extra pins for maximum read/write speed (300 MB/s).
    tallguy
  • Reply 38 of 79
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,038member
    spheric said:
    Semi on-topic:

- macOS 11
      - iOS 11
    wrong analogy. I'm talking about unifying the branding of the OS, not the hardware.
    Are you suggesting that macOS, tvOS, iOS, and watchOS could be a single OS that would be installed a Mac, Apple TV, iDevice, or Watch without consideration for the HW in which it's being installed? :confused: 

fastasleepchiaspheric
  • Reply 39 of 79
    macxpress said:
    You people and your 17" MacBook Pros...give it a rest! My god! 
    Agreed. It's like carrying your own tombstone around! :)

• Reply 40 of 79
    C'mon... Daddy needs s brand new iMac!
    Soli