iOS 10 tips: Revert Touch ID from 'press home to wake' back to rest to wake

Comments

• Reply 21 of 44
    Aahh. That's better. 
  • Reply 22 of 44
    Thank you that! The rest and click to unlock shit was driving me crazy. Now if they would just change the reply to text messages in the lock screen back to how it was I would be happy. The Steve Jobs Sinplicity Priciple is getting lost with these new iOS releases. 
  • Reply 23 of 44
    IambobIambob Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    "press home to unlock"?!? how about "type your message to send"? I haven't used iPhone for that long but I am so pissed off by these changes. I showed them to my wife and she was terrified.
  • Reply 24 of 44
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    Iambob said:
    "press home to unlock"?!? how about "type your message to send"? I haven't used iPhone for that long but I am so pissed off by these changes. I showed them to my wife and she was terrified.
    You guys need to go with the flow and chill. Did you get so mad your wife was terrified? Or did the changes terrify her. Either way you guys need 'perspective'. It took me a few days to get used to press home to unlock. Not a biggie. These things time to adjust to. Then I discovered how to revert to touch and I am back where I was. Not sure if it really is better, but I am used to it. As for slide to unlock... that seems like a very long time ago. 
  • Reply 25 of 44
    Hmm.. Why do I get this by default when I updated???

No wonder I didn't understand what people complained about.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 26 of 44
    JgalJgal Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    I have an iPhone 5. When I get to the last step of click speed, I only have default, slow and slowest. No rest finger to open. Can you advise?
  • Reply 27 of 44
    crowleycrowley Posts: 10,453member
    Jgal said:
    I have an iPhone 5. When I get to the last step of click speed, I only have default, slow and slowest. No rest finger to open. Can you advise?
    iPhone 5 doesn't have a TouchID sensor, so there won't be a rest option, you need to press. 
  • Reply 28 of 44
    lmaclmac Posts: 206member
    Change should be made for a good reason. Apple never provided one. I keep launching Siri by accident. This is one of the things that annoys people about Apple. Like Microsoft of the 1990s, they think they know what's best for us.
  • Reply 29 of 44
    xmbxmb Posts: 18member
    Of course this tip does not work if your company policy disables the finger print unlocking function!
  • Reply 30 of 44
    Eric_WVGG said:
    crowley said:
    Very surprised that the need to press the home button is the default.
    I prefer rest-to-touchID as well, but Apple made the right move here. I've observed dozens of non-nerds trying to figure out TouchID, they don't get the "rest" thing unless you explain v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y.

If TouchID is to be the normal mainstream way to open an iPhone, they had to make this change.
    It seems to me that Apple could have simply allowed for the 'rest' and 'press' options by default. For those who wanted one or the other, they could have chosen either/or in Settings. Apple could then have left the 'slide to unlock' as is. Not the biggest deal in the world, but it's a bit weird that going to back to the default -- something that had was a feature since the iPhone 6 -- required one to go four levels down, to Home Button under Accessibility under General under Settings. Honestly, I may not have known about it (or might have only stumbled into it by accident) had AI not told us about it.
  • Reply 31 of 44
    Without Touch ID on my Iphone 5, I can't use this fix so I came up with another way to get around wearing out the home button. Here it is:

1. Go to your favorite app (after opening your phone with Apple's updated method of clicking on the home button).
    2. Turn 'off' the phone with the on/off button on top.
    3. Turn back 'on' and you will see the new page saying to click on the home button.
    4. Slide over to Widgets and add Chrome. 
    5. Click on Chrome +New Tab. This will take you back in (after the passcode if you have one).
    6. When there, click the upper left hand corner which shows the last app you were on (in my case it was Pokemon Go).

Cumbersome, but it does help those of us who could care less about buying a new phone.
  • Reply 32 of 44
    I'm not upgrading. This is stupid.
  • Reply 33 of 44
    clint said:
    In lieu of the usual breakdown I’d do for a statement like this–a shortness borne of nigh suicidal depression–can we just assume that you already know how unbelievably, mind-bogglingly, “in a sane world your voting privileges would be taken away” dumb a statement like that is? I think that’d be useful.
  • Reply 34 of 44
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    clint said:
    What is, the new unlock procedure that takes about a minute to practice or the fact you can circumvent it entirely and resist change with a quick setting toggle, or that you can't be bothered to do either?
    tallest skil
  • Reply 35 of 44
    snomiisnomii Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Thank you for this! WHAT WAS APPLE THINKING!!!!????  (gawd, i miss steve jobs. he woulda never let this happen)
  • Reply 36 of 44
    muriloherrmannmuriloherrmann Posts: 1unconfirmed, member
    Where do I check if my Raise to wake is turned on?
  • Reply 37 of 44
    SpamSandwichSpamSandwich Posts: 33,407member
    wood1208 said:
    (snip)... First there was NO problem with slide to unlock ? simple and easy. to use. 2nd, with IOS 10 change, keep using your Home button to unlock increases wear and tear on Home button which than reduces the longevity of Home button mechanism which breaks sooner costing lot $$ to fix it at Apple store. . I told Apple when you remove 3.5mm jack, no problem but make sure using same lightening port for audio earpod and charging increases(more than double) insertion in same port crippling it sooner than usual. Once the lightening port is non-functional on iphone 7, phone is unusable. If lightning port or Home button starts failing faster than Apple is looking for massive replacement and law suit.
    I suppose they got rid of slide-to-unlock because the patent protecting it was invalidated.
  • Reply 38 of 44
    MarvinMarvin Posts: 15,326moderator
    wood1208 said:
    (snip)... First there was NO problem with slide to unlock ? simple and easy. to use.
    I suppose they got rid of slide-to-unlock because the patent protecting it was invalidated.
    It's probably because the slide-to-unlock gesture isn't really used when Touch ID is enabled. You'd have to unlock using the power button or tap the home button and release in under 2 seconds, then swipe and you'd have to either use Touch ID or put in a code after that. You have to voluntarily make the login process longer in order to use slide-to-unlock now.

Normally you just tap and go right into the home screen. Slide-to-unlock was a way to prevent accidentally unlocking the phone and having the phone doing things like dialling someone by accident. It's like a latch on a door. Touch ID is a replacement for this - the whole device is encrypted and Touch ID acts as an unlock key. If Apple had encrypted devices and fingerprint unlock in the first iPhone, there likely would never have been slide-to-unlock. It's still useful for devices where Touch ID is broken or not an option but not useful on devices with Touch ID.
    fastasleep
  • Reply 39 of 44
    fastasleepfastasleep Posts: 6,420member
    snomii said:
    Thank you for this! WHAT WAS APPLE THINKING!!!!????  (gawd, i miss steve jobs. he woulda never let this happen)
    It's becoming increasingly clear from these comments that absolutely nothing would've happened ever if Steve Jobs was still alive. 
    tallest skil
  • Reply 40 of 44
    Please click here if you would like Apple to add an option for "Slide to Unlock" to iOS 10:
    https://www.change.org/p/apple-bring-back-slide-to-unlock-in-ios-10-d0c7101e-6739-41a8-b265-5ea7bc2c7ee4
    Thank you!