Corporate culture, haste reportedly at core of Samsung mishandling of Note 7 situation

Comments

• Reply 21 of 64
    This is obviously Apple's fault: Apple has been pushing the envelope too far producing superior phone,  that has forced Samsung into taking shortcuts (minimal QA testing) in order to compete. Samsung should sue Apple and ask for damages for lost profits.

this is sarcasm
    edited October 2016 waverboyjony0watto_cobrabadmonkcali
  • Reply 22 of 64
    tundraboy said:
    sflocal said:

Employees involved in the post-recall testing claimed that they were required to keep communications about the evaluation process offline, with e-mails and other accountable forms of communication forbidden. Samsung allegedly feared lawsuits and subpoenas as a result of the fires, leading to the drastic restrictions on staff.

add to that being caught lying to everyone, and fabricating information to make themselves look better to the public and investors.  Samsung getting caught doing exactly that during the Samsung/Apple lawsuit a few years ago proved exactly that.

Just a corrupt company to its core.  I am loving the schadenfreude happening to Samsung.
    You'd think Samsung is a company that would have a convicted felon for its CEO.  Oh, wait.
    yeah funny how people forget that so soon.
    watto_cobrabadmonkcali
  • Reply 23 of 64

dartro said:
    I'm sure that all of Samsung's test engineers are testing at the office, using a nice steady commercial electricity supply and quality power adapters. They should try it out on old flaky residential wiring using cheap third party power adapters. I'm sure they'd see a different result in reproducing the issues then.
    I could  also imagine that part of the reason is the high power requirement combined with shoddy power management software  (do they even have any)  stressing the battery. 
    edited October 2016 watto_cobraaylk
  • Reply 24 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,263member
    I wonder what the actual cause is though? A flaw with the quick charging feature? a design fault that damages the battery?
  • Reply 25 of 64
    robjnrobjn Posts: 283member
    The Note 7 isn't the only model of Samsung phone to catch fire!

A couple of weeks ago a Note 2 caught fire during a flight from Singapore to Chennai. Smoke was seen coming from the overhead luggage compartment. Cabin crew acted quickly to extinguish the fire and put the smoldering phone in a bucket of water for the rest of the flight.

So maybe this isn't just about the Note 7.

See
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-37454436
    watto_cobraaylkcali
  • Reply 26 of 64

qwwera said:
    My girlfriend has a Note 5 at it gets quite hot when in the case. After the fires she charges it outside the case. 
    Im wondering if the compactness of the design that everyone loves about the current Samsung products aren't contributing to the fires; as in, they don't allow heat to dissipate properly.
    You better get her a fire extinguisher.
    One thing that Apple spends a lot of time on is power management, extending battery life but more importantly reducing the power consumption, especially for video playback and games which require high frame rates. These are the big power hogs: Not only to they use a lot of power but they drain the battery faster. Draining batteries  too fast causes them to deteriorate faster and makes em more dangerous. I imagine what happened was that Samsung pushed the engineers to close to the thermal limits and forced a to short timeline on them for QA testing so they cut corners in getting it to market. After all they knew the iPhone & series was coming out and the morons I mean marketing folks at Samsung made the timeline decision. Now they are paying the price! Apple is simply one of the best engineering companies in the world and almost impossible to compete with and this example illustrated why
    edited October 2016 qwwerawatto_cobracali
  • Reply 27 of 64
    Q: Why is the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 like a nascar race car?  
    A: It keeps exploding! 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 28 of 64
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 282member

qwwera said:
    My girlfriend has a Note 5 at it gets quite hot when in the case. After the fires she charges it outside the case. 
    Im wondering if the compactness of the design that everyone loves about the current Samsung products aren't contributing to the fires; as in, they don't allow heat to dissipate properly.
    You better get her a fire extinguisher.
    One thing that Apple spends a lot of time on is power management, extending battery life but more importantly reducing the power consumption, especially for video playback and games which require high frame rates. These are the big power hogs: Not only to they use a lot of power but they drain the battery faster. Draining batteries  too fast causes them to deteriorate faster and makes em more dangerous. I imagine what happened was that Samsung pushed the engineers to close to the thermal limits and forced a to short timeline on them for QA testing so they cut corners in getting it to market. After all they knew the iPhone & series was coming out and the morons I mean marketing folks at Samsung made the timeline decision. Now they are paying the price! Apple is simply one of the best engineering companies in the world and almost impossible to compete with and this example illustrated why
    ...and Apple is known to be conservative with battery capacities. Android devices carry far bigger batteries. 
    The iphone 7 I think has a 2900 capacity battery while the Note 7 has a 3500 capacity battery. 
    I think everything you said, plus a humongous battery in a very tight footprint might have something to do with it too.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobracali
  • Reply 29 of 64
    From the New York Times Article

"The Note 7 had more features and was more complex than any other phone manufactured. In a race to surpass iPhone, Samsung seems to have packed it with so much innovation it became uncontrollable"

So so it catches fire because they put so much'innovation' in it? Really?

So how come the old Note 2 also catches fire?

magman1979watto_cobracali
  • Reply 30 of 64
    entropysentropys Posts: 4,263member
    more likely in an effort to extend battery life Samsung put a bigger battery in t than the original design planned for.
    qwwera
  • Reply 31 of 64
    Samsung and much of the independent reporting has given the impression that the replacement devices where somehow fixed.

However, it would take several weeks to make an inventory change with new product or even longer to rework existing product.

After a botched investigation that failed to identify the root of the problem Samsung decided that product already in inventory could serve as a replacement. They probably just tried to sort product based on battery manufacturer. I wonder to what extent this was accurately traceable?
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 32 of 64
    jbdragonjbdragon Posts: 2,312member
    I wondered how Samesung got out supposedly FIXED phones and in big numbers as fast as they did. Now we all know. They were clueless. They just assumed it was the battery's form the one company and they lost that bet. Remember, like Apple, Samsung Designs their parts. These other company's just manufacture them to whoever's specs. If the same specs are used for both company's making the battery's, you should be getting pretty close to the same results. I can't believe they didn't actually know what was happening and just assumed. It's one thing to have a defect on your product and do a recall to fix the issue. It's a whole lot worse, to send back out defective replacements that are supposedly fixed, and yet aren't based on a assumption. Not actually knowing what was happening for sure. What's really funny is fandroids trying to blame this on Apple, like Apple supposedly did something to cause this problem. Like hire someone to make defective parts to put into some of the phones. Flat out making crap up. Pretty much what I would expect from them.
    watto_cobraktappecali
  • Reply 33 of 64
    jungmarkjungmark Posts: 6,927member
    robjn said:

"The Note 7 had more features and was more complex than any other phone manufactured. In a race to surpass iPhone, Samsung seems to have packed it with so much innovation it became uncontrollable"

It's a pathetic excuse. iPhones are "packed with so much innovation" and they don't explode. What does that even mean any way?
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 34 of 64
    qwweraqwwera Posts: 282member
    jungmark said:
    robjn said:

It's a pathetic excuse. iPhones are "packed with so much innovation" and they don't explode. What does that even mean any way?

It means a the product packed with the most innovation will be the one that doesn't explode.

if your products explode, you a missing a lot of innovation there.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 35 of 64
    Hot karma is bad. It will burn down your house.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 36 of 64
    boredumbboredumb Posts: 1,418member
    This is what happens when you adopt a scorched-earth approach
    as your core business value...
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 37 of 64
    mnbob1mnbob1 Posts: 269member
    It's inconceivable that a corporation as large as Samsung with a "crew of "hundreds of employees" working on the problem" couldn't replicate the issue and be 100% sure of the fix before sending out replacement units to customers. The speed that the replacement units became available would indicate to me that the systems with replaced batteries were already in the supply chain so the decision my upper management to make the call for a "battery issue" was based on the costs involved. Oops wrong choice! Not only have they had to scrap one of their flagship products that was supposed to be an iPhone 7 Plus killer but the costs to dump the current inventory and redesign the product as well as refund all of the units that were sold. On top of that there will probably be lawsuits from customers that they will be better off settling out of court. As it says in the article the tarnish to their brand is hard to put a cost to right now. Since Samsung has always been a media darling the damage may be minimal. However the press can be fickle and they might jump ship to Google. Some have already.

It doesn't take long for a ship to sink. This isn't like holding the phone in the wrong way, or the beta version of Apple Maps, or BendGate (which never existed). Fortunately for Samsung they have some very loyal customers.
    cali
  • Reply 38 of 64
    foggyhillfoggyhill Posts: 4,767member
    robjn said:

The iPhone 7 is a lot more complex so I call bs on that and it got a CPU that's tewice as powerful
    ericthehalfbeewatto_cobracali
  • Reply 39 of 64
    Apparently no battery can resist to the heat of Android !.. Hardware doesn't get heated by itself... 

If it was a particular hardware defect it would be already located and resolved. The blame is on the management for pushing that crappy architecture to its limits.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobracali
  • Reply 40 of 64
    esoomesoom Posts: 155member
    Well, they'll have 2.5 million phones to do QC on and see if they can figure out what they did.

They're a company with no moral compass and proved it on a world stage, the idiots are lucky they didn't bring down a plane. 
    tmaymobiuswatto_cobracali