Samsung extends $100 in extra credit to US owners of fire-prone Galaxy Note 7

Comments

• Reply 21 of 42
    eightzeroeightzero Posts: 3,064member
    volcan said:
    eightzero said:

If you see a Note7 on a flight, are you supposed to report it to the flight crew? "If you see something, say something"?
    The only phones I can recognize are iPhones. Everything else is just "Other".

The last flight I was on they announced that ALL Samsung phones must remain off for the entire flight, not just Note 7. Not sure if they had 100% compliance because everyone in first class had iPhones. Even so, in more than one instance I recall reading about, a Note 7 caught on fire while turned off, including one on a flight.
    "Hey, I think the guy in seat 17c has a bomb. What do you think we should do?"

watto_cobracali
  • Reply 22 of 42
    sog35 said:
    That's not enough for all the crap they had to go through.

And they only get the $100 if they choose another Samsung phone? 

Samsung should be giving each Note7 owner a full refund PLUS a free Samsung phone of their choice.

$100 is not enough for:

1. Stress of owning a phone that is a potential fire hazard
    2. Going through the confusion of the first unofficial recall
    3. Calling the carrier, calling Samsung, calling carrier again
    4. Wasting time going to the retail store, or shipping back to Samsung
    5. Receiving new phone, but having to go through the whole setup again
    6. More stress that the 'safe' phone isn't safe
    7. Going through step 1-4 all over again
    8. Not having a phone for weeks

But what do I know? I never bought a Samsung POS. Maybe their customers expect this type of crap service.

Since you never bought anything they made, you shouldn't be quick to judge their product plus you don't the right to tell Samsung what they should do. 

I guess you are in the right place to bash Samsung product, just like everyone else here... Pro Apple.

When Apple had its own misfortune, what did you guys do? Just closed your eyes, sucked it up and paid for it.  I don't remember Apple reimbursing nor gave out credit to its users.
    singularity
  • Reply 23 of 42
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member
    jkichline said:
    The carriers really need to turn these devices off remotely or not allow them on their networks so that the recall is effective.
    That is a great idea!  Also, would love to see something on planes to shut down phone when the close the door, something that disables the cell function.  Would also be fun to watch.
    cali
  • Reply 24 of 42
    rbonnerrbonner Posts: 635member

eightzero said:
    Their brand is shit. When shopping, i specifically avoid anything they make. 
    I do like their TV's.  
  • Reply 25 of 42
    volcanvolcan Posts: 1,799member
    sog35 said:

Glad the iPhone looks very differernt from the Note7

Now the Google Pixel better not have explosive problems, because that looks just like the iPhone
    Yeah, you're right. I could always recognize an iPhone by the distinct camera location, but the Pixel is almost identical in that respect. It does have a home button on the back though. Once a phone is in a protective case the camera configuration is about the only way to tell if it is an iPhone. Speaking of cases, I've never used one, but my iPhone sometimes does get a little warm and I wonder if having your phone in a case, which could have some insulating characteristics, might lead to battery degradation over time due to heat not being able dissipate.
  • Reply 26 of 42
    eightzero said:
    You sound like some Apple fan boy. /s

Me too by the way.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 27 of 42
    keifer123 said:
    sog35 said:

Samsung should be giving each Note7 owner a full refund PLUS a free Samsung phone of their choice.

$100 is not enough for:

But what do I know? I never bought a Samsung POS. Maybe their customers expect this type of crap service.

Since you never bought anything they made, you shouldn't be quick to judge their product plus you don't the right to tell Samsung what they should do. 

I guess you are in the right place to bash Samsung product, just like everyone else here... Pro Apple.

When Apple had its own misfortune, what did you guys do? Just closed your eyes, sucked it up and paid for it.  I don't remember Apple reimbursing nor gave out credit to its users.
    IIRC, Steve gave a $100 back to early adopters of the first iPhone when Apple dropped the price.

This isn't "misfortune." It is reckless disregard of its customer's safety in favor of profits. I don't remember Apple ever doing that.
    edited October 2016 watto_cobrabigcali
  • Reply 28 of 42
    seankill said:
    sog35 said:

$100 is not enough for:

At least Samsung is giving something.

Apple charged me 368$ for a faulty LCD screen on my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina. I specifically had a 2 hour conversation with an Apple saleswoman about my worries of the reports before finally purchasing the macbook. She assured me it was an isolated issue. Yea, isolated to 3 out of 3 macbook pros I tried at various best buys with LG displays. Then my personal 14 months after purchase. That is 4/4 in my pool (again, for LG displays). 

Other than that one time, I have had good runs with Apple. I just find it hard to believe 4/4 is an "isolated incident." The 1 Samsung I found had no issues....... Wish I had gotten a 2012 retina with a Samsung screen........ 368$ cheaper.

that is why I always buy AppleCare. 

My first PowerBook 17" had some odd issues. I end up exchanged 2 new PowerBook and 1 brand new MacBook Pro. Same apply to my iPhone 5s and 6+. 

Don't want to abuse the system, but if they can't fix it, at least I get a new replacement.
    watto_cobra
  • Reply 29 of 42
    seankill said:
    sog35 said:

$100 is not enough for:

At least Samsung is giving something.

Apple charged me 368$ for a faulty LCD screen on my 2012 Macbook Pro Retina. I specifically had a 2 hour conversation with an Apple saleswoman about my worries of the reports before finally purchasing the macbook. She assured me it was an isolated issue. Yea, isolated to 3 out of 3 macbook pros I tried at various best buys with LG displays. Then my personal 14 months after purchase. That is 4/4 in my pool (again, for LG displays). 

Other than that one time, I have had good runs with Apple. I just find it hard to believe 4/4 is an "isolated incident." The 1 Samsung I found had no issues....... Wish I had gotten a 2012 retina with a Samsung screen........ 368$ cheaper.

I imagine that your mileage will vary from store-to-store, manager-to-manager, and support-ticket-to-support-ticket, but my experiences with support have been phenomenal. My local Apple Store has replaced my 2011 MBP's logic board four times, free of charge, most recently this past June. And, always within the space of 24 hours after drop-off. If they just coughed and slid the bill across the bar to me, it'd probably have cost me around 4k CDN... So, I raise one negative anecdotal story by one positive anecdotal story...
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 30 of 42
    keifer123 said:
    sog35 said:

$100 is not enough for:

You have no idea how many complaints I make online when my apple goes down. But there is one thing different about Apple compared to samsung, apple's has good customer service. People in apple always try to help. 
    I have a Samsung refrigerator with ice maker. The ice maker keep failing. What Samsung do? After lots of complaints by customers and service guy, they admit the problem and issued a service bulletin and ask the user to fix it themselves. And it is not a easy fix. 
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 31 of 42

volcan said:
    sog35 said:

Glad the iPhone looks very differernt from the Note7

Now the Google Pixel better not have explosive problems, because that looks just like the iPhone
    Yeah, you're right. I could always recognize an iPhone by the distinct camera location, but the Pixel is almost identical in that respect. It does have a home button on the back though. Once a phone is in a protective case the camera configuration is about the only way to tell if it is an iPhone. Speaking of cases, I've never used one, but my iPhone sometimes does get a little warm and I wonder if having your phone in a case, which could have some insulating characteristics, might lead to battery degradation over time due to heat not being able dissipate.
    Check the battery usage. Usually apps like facebook and chrome use lots of juice 
  • Reply 32 of 42
    In visiting a few Android forums, I cannot believe the people there.  Some actually believe that it was all made up by Apple, and they have no intention of returning theirs.  Fricking unbelievable!
    watto_cobraperkedelcali
  • Reply 33 of 42
    eightzero said:
    I don't mind the parts they make that go into Apple products but everything else is shit.
    Apple does the quality control.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 34 of 42
    fallenjtfallenjt Posts: 4,054member
     NSA should consider to arrest people who carry Note 7 on planes...you carry explosives on board, you're considered terrorists.
    watto_cobracali
  • Reply 35 of 42
    jcs2305jcs2305 Posts: 1,337member
    keifer123 said:
    sog35 said:

$100 is not enough for:

Horseshit. Samsung is a greedy company, not a human being so their misfortune means zero to me and others here. BTW this is AppleInsider not electronics monthly so yes Samsung's trashy unsafe products and misfortune are going to get made fun of here ... If that's not ok there are plenty of other android sites that will welcome you. You can commiserate with the idiots still saying they won't get rid of their phones because the problems only affected 1% of phones sold. 

Like that idiot Josh Dickey over at mashable. His article is titled " You can pry this galaxy note 7 from my cold, possible scorched hands". Like these incidents and problems are a joke. Wow .. just wow.

http://mashable.com/2016/10/12/galaxy-note-7-keeping-it-exploding/#H8Qpth2JhOq4

Apple has never released anything comparable to this type of dangerous product, so the crap you are slinging won't stick here. Samsung put every single one of its customers that bought is phone at risk for injury and or property loss/damage be releasing, and then rereleasing the same garbage unsafe product. 

Personally the only iPhones I ever had issues with were quickly taken care of under warranty, or with AppleCare with no cost to me. The exception is the iPhone 5 that had battery issues and was taken care by the battery replacement program free of charge as well. 

watto_cobraBlunt
  • Reply 36 of 42
    BluntBlunt Posts: 224member
    goofy1958 said:
    In visiting a few Android forums, I cannot believe the people there.  Some actually believe that it was all made up by Apple, and they have no intention of returning theirs.  Fricking unbelievable!

These clowns provably don't even own a Note 7 which makes it kinda hard to return.
    cali
  • Reply 37 of 42

Samsung is only trying to retain customers & resurrect the Note brand by bribing them with rebates & incentives. They haven't learned a thing from this. They'll release the 2017 Note8 under a different name with even more over-ambitious specs...
    edited October 2016 caliwatto_cobra
  • Reply 38 of 42
    wood1208 said:
    sog35 said:

Talk about blind sheep. These Note7 fans are literally willing to die for their phone.
    It is not just risk to Note 7 users or their family/friends if riding in same vehicle but if Note 7 fire happens in mid-air bringning plane down is bigger risk they ought not to take. Cost/benefit of innocent lives and air plane itself out ways return/replacement of Note 7.
    I guess you could find some "blind sheep" in our camp or another camp as well that would not return their Jesus phone in similar circumstances. ;-)
  • Reply 39 of 42
    bravomike said:
    I'm a pilot for an airline based out of Chicago O'Hare.  Our airline is now required to warn all passengers about this phone. Pretty much as previously described in previous articles.

I'm waiting for the FAA to ban these phones outright, or one to catch on fire in my airplane.  I'm hoping my airline will ban them if the FAA doesn't.

Even so, some people will bring them onboard anyway.  We'll see what happens.....
    Curious: If I as a passenger reported possession or use of one to your flight crew, what action would you take (or be required to take) as PIC?
    cali
  • Reply 40 of 42
    calicali Posts: 3,494member
    bravomike said:
    I'm a pilot for an airline based out of Chicago O'Hare.  Our airline is now required to warn all passengers about this phone. Pretty much as previously described in previous articles.

I'm waiting for the FAA to ban these phones outright, or one to catch on fire in my airplane.  I'm hoping my airline will ban them if the FAA doesn't.

Even so, some people will bring them onboard anyway.  We'll see what happens.....
     If I were a pilot I would get on the intercom thing and announce galaxy phones like they were explosives.
    watto_cobra