Quicken releases 2017 updates for Mac & iOS personal finance apps

Comments

• Reply 21 of 58
    lkrupplkrupp Posts: 10,557member
    Do people not understand that Quicken and QuickBooks are not the same app? They are not even owned by the same company anymore. This article is about Quicken 2017, not QuickBooks. Comments here seem to use them interchangeably. 
  • Reply 22 of 58
    Still no detail transaction reporting, only summary and comparison.
  • Reply 23 of 58
    paxmanpaxman Posts: 4,729member
    ...after numerous attempts with both Quicken, Quickbooks Mac & Quickbooks PC, I tried MoneyWorks. If you need full accounting it may be worth a look. I found some of the language and logic a bit quirky (they are upside down there after all) yet I found it full featured, multi platform, very customizable and upgraded on a feature/need vs corporate sunset policy basis. Email support has also been truly unparalleled in my experience...

Alternatively the pre-cloud desktop version of Numbers has the option of the Reorganize command which, after drag & drop CSV import of data into a basic spreadsheet and setting popup categories, allows summary single entry reporting with remarkable ease...

Moneyworks was a Mac only app first and apart from being a little unusual i have only heard good rhings about it. The basic version is about 100 bucks and probably overkill for personal use, but it will do the job well. 
  • Reply 24 of 58
    maestro64 said:
    paxman said:
    sog35 said:
    Quicken sucks

Intuit especially sucks.

Quickbooks 2014 on Mac is not supported on Mac Sierra. That is FLATOUT ridiculous. How the hell can you support software for only TWO YEARS. 

They are so greedy. They want people to switch to Quickbooks online which cost 3x more in the long run

Greedy software companies with their subscriptions piss me off
    All accounting softwares are going towards online only. I am considering Quicken Online for my company and I like it. Not crazy about the price but to be honest it is competitive. Online has advantages for the end user such as access, saying up to date, cross platform. For the providers the advantage is obvious - predictable cashflow. There is an accounting package that is cross platform called Moneyworks. Supposedly very good though I don't think they do an IOS version. They too have an online version and my bet is that in a few years that is all there will be.
    Why would you put your financial information online, you know hackers are pretty smart people and they know how to get into systems and get what they want. The guy breaking into your home and steals your computer is not so bright and would not know how to get your financial information if you protect it correctly.
    I worry a little about that but I really don't think I am in any terrible danger. I back up and have duplicates of everything; and use fairly strong passwords. If Quickbooks got hacked I would have my info but Quickbooks would be in more trouble than I. My company is such small fry in the scheme of things. But you and Soli has got me thinking I should reassess and improve my access protection. 
  • Reply 25 of 58
    sog35 said:
    paxman said:
    sflocal said:
    Quickbooks and Quicken are the primary reasons why I still run Windows (as a VM) on my mac.  The Mac-versions of both packages suck - badly.  

I'm really dismayed as to why they don't make Quicken for Mac and Windows interoperable.  

I'd love to go to a different, more modern package that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and has decent cloud accessibility as well.
    If you are using this for your personal finance why not check out the app store. Just looked and an app called MoneyWiz looks quite good. Never tried it personally. Just wonder because there are several packages for Mac these days. All I have ever heard about Quicken is that it sucks. For years. 
    MoneyWiz is $5 a month for all eternity. too expensive

Its coming to a point I might just do my personal finance in Numbers or Excel

These software companies are friken greedy. I have no desire to have my stuff in a cloud either
    Numbers or Excel is not a bad idea. If you are half good at it it could be a fun project. A friend of mine developed an amazing application in Excel for his company. It was like a work of art. Way above my level :)
  • Reply 26 of 58

zroger73 said:
    paxman said:
    sflocal said:
    Quickbooks and Quicken are the primary reasons why I still run Windows (as a VM) on my mac.  The Mac-versions of both packages suck - badly.  

I'm really dismayed as to why they don't make Quicken for Mac and Windows interoperable.  

I'd love to go to a different, more modern package that doesn't cost an arm and a leg and has decent cloud accessibility as well.
    If you are using this for your personal finance why not check out the app store. Just looked and an app called MoneyWiz looks quite good. Never tried it personally. Just wonder because there are several packages for Mac these days. All I have ever heard about Quicken is that it sucks. For years. 
    That's fine and dandy for some, but not for those of us with years' worth of transactions in Quicken. Ever tried to transfer Quicken data by exporting as a .CSV file or tried importing Quicken data into a different software package? Yeah. Didn't think so. The experience falls towards the latter in between awful and useless.
    I did migrate from one accounting package to another some years ago. A very painful and long winded experience. I ended up getting a bookkeeper. 
  • Reply 27 of 58
    Rayz2016Rayz2016 Posts: 6,957member
    sog35 said:
    paxman said:
    sflocal said:

MoneyWiz is $5 a month for all eternity. too expensive

Moneywiz only charges a fee for connecting directly to your banks; otherwise, you just pay once. 
  • Reply 28 of 58
    +1 for Moneydance.  The interface is flawed in places and maybe not super pretty.  It doesn't do a good job at reconciling mortgage payments automatically.   But overall, it is stable, useful, supports OFX and bill pay with most banks, and it has some functions to monitor investments as well (such as a plugin for automatic downloads of security prices).  It's cheap ($50) and versions generally continue to run (thanks, Java!).  They also provide competent support, which is nice. So, good deal.

http://moneydance.com/
  • Reply 29 of 58
    dvendven Posts: 1member
    1. Intuit no longer owns Quicken.  It was sold off last year to a VC company
    2.  The Mac version has never been as good as the Windows version.  I have 20+ yrs of data on the PC version and it is the primary reason I have never switched to a Mac desktop.
    3.  The best online, free app for financial purposes by far is www.personalcapital.com   It offers free, secure updating of all your accounts, including investments.  They do try and sell you investment advice (which is actually really good advice) for a pretty low fee but it is easy to ignore it.  It is the best online equivalent to Quicken that you will find, has a good iPhone/iPad app.  
    robbyx
  • Reply 30 of 58
    GeorgeBMacGeorgeBMac Posts: 11,421member
    sog35 said:
    Quicken sucks

Intuit especially sucks.

Quickbooks 2014 on Mac is not supported on Mac Sierra. That is FLATOUT ridiculous. How the hell can you support software for only TWO YEARS. 

They are so greedy. They want people to switch to Quickbooks online which cost 3x more in the long run

I just found out a few days ago that we have to upgrade to have it continue to be supported on Sierra. We are a small company and make use of maybe 5% of the programs features and the ones we use are never improved. Can't switch programs as our accounting firm only supports Quickbooks. While we can easily afford the upgrade, the cash grab every two years is really annoying.
    Upgrading is up to you.   The product will work with or without the upgrade.   Upgrading is only to maintain support if you have trouble.
  • Reply 31 of 58
    maestro64 said:

The biggest issue I had with quicken and I am still on 2007 and it works fine for me, do not need the pretty interface, we talking about banking and finance stuff the spreadsheet look is fine. I only use it for an hour a months.

The issue with the update was the fact that some online banking did not work, not because of quicken per say, the banks are not doing their part either. There is a flaw in Chase's QIF format which they know about but refuses to fix and requires a manual step to fix the file to allow it to import properly. The Banks have not been keeping their files update with quicken to fix issues as well as the online login to allow automatic date down load.

Thanks...  I knew that my Chase account transactions would not download automatically.  I didn;t know why.   But, since I had to log on to the site to get my statement anyway, it was no big deal.   Just download the transactions while Quicken is open and it works just fine
  • Reply 32 of 58
    paxman said:
    sog35 said:
    Quicken sucks

Intuit especially sucks.

All accounting softwares are going towards online only. I am considering Quicken Online for my company and I like it. Not crazy about the price but to be honest it is competitive. Online has advantages for the end user such as access, saying up to date, cross platform. For the providers the advantage is obvious - predictable cashflow. There is an accounting package that is cross platform called Moneyworks. Supposedly very good though I don't think they do an IOS version. They too have an online version and my bet is that in a few years that is all there will be.
    maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:
    Quicken sucks

Intuit especially sucks.

I just found out a few days ago that we have to upgrade to have it continue to be supported on Sierra. We are a small company and make use of maybe 5% of the programs features and the ones we use are never improved. Can't switch programs as our accounting firm only supports Quickbooks. While we can easily afford the upgrade, the cash grab every two years is really annoying.

Welcome to the new world of software, you no longer own the software and they want you online so they can have access to your data and make you pay for the privilege. Plus they can make updates which you may or may not like. I personal never like the cloud based services, because you have to take the good with the bad whether you like it not. I use Quicken (personal stuff) and QuickBooks (my sons Business stuff) and we use the old versions since they work for us. Now we have to decide whether to upgrade the mac software, personally, I have held off on mac upgrade so I did not have to upgrade other software. I held off going to OSX 10.8 because apple got ride of Rosetta and quicken 2007 would not work, then Intuit release and update to run on machine that did not support Rosetta.

I never update my mac without first verifying all my software works with the new version and the same goes for any application I have bought, I first check to see if people are reporting problems to make sure it is not going to cause me a problem. This is also why I away maintain backup copies of the data and application so if an upgrade fills I can revert back especially with Quicken and QuickBooks since it many times converts the data to a new format.

Quicken is one of the few -- maybe the ONLY - personal financial vendors that gives you the option of using their online cloud services or running entirely on your own equipment.

Personally I believe that no amount of security can stop a determined hacker.  Therefor I do NOT want my personal financial data on anybody's server but my own.

Think about it:  Hackers go where the money is:  A few years ago they targeted retail.  Now they are moving to healthcare.  But, personal financial data would be a gold mine for them -- Account Numbers, IDs, Passwords.  And, since it is investments and bank accounts, there is ZERO consumer protection (no $50 liability limit).  Your money could be gone.

• Reply 33 of 58
    paxman said:
    sflocal said:

For me, no matter how bad it is, Quicken is still the best because:   My financial data stays (if I desire) on MY machine.   I don't trust anybody else to guard that data -- and every app I have looked at takes my financial information and stores it on their servers.   No Way!  That's not for me.
  • Reply 34 of 58
    maestro64 said:

Why would you put your financial information online, you know hackers are pretty smart people and they know how to get into systems and get what they want. The guy breaking into your home and steals your computer is not so bright and would not know how to get your financial information if you protect it correctly.
    AGREE!
    I not only run Quicken on my own equipment rather than online, I run it on its own standalone laptop -- no web browsing, no email, no....

It sounds expensive, but it's not.   It runs fine on an 8 year old dual core processor and limited memory.  Its a great way to put old equipment to productive use.
  • Reply 35 of 58
    paxman said:
    I worry a little about that [Cloud Storage] but I really don't think I am in any terrible danger. I back up and have duplicates of everything; and use fairly strong passwords. If Quickbooks got hacked I would have my info but Quickbooks would be in more trouble than I. My company is such small fry in the scheme of things. But you and Soli has got me thinking I should reassess and improve my access protection. 
    The problem is not that you would lose your data -- actually its unlikely that you would lose it.  Instead, some Russian guy would have your personal info.  They don't want to destroy your data, they want to sell it.

And, Quicken would not be in trouble at all -- just like Target, Home Depot, Yahoo, etc, etc, etc.... were not in any trouble -- because it wasn't their data that got stolen.  It was their customer's.   And further,  even if it does get hacked, based on previous hacks, you won't even know about it till months or even years later.  There's no excuse for that, it's just how it works because the company that got hacked hates to admit it.
    stevenoz
  • Reply 36 of 58
    DenisemoDenisemo Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    @sog35 that is a good point! And to @maestro64 still using Q 2007?? I was also hesitant to upgrade every year because there have been some glitches. Although the point about banks not keeping up has been true (the Chase issue has been solved for some time now - this year 2016), I have continued to read reviews and really think long and hard before upgrading. It is all going that way, (online) maybe by design (where exactly is "The Cloud"??? #illuminati), but I am currently paying $60-$70 per month for 10-15 employees with iop Intuit Online Payroll. I did not realize that Intuit no longer owned Quicken products. Probably that is why this year there has been continued probs with importing/exporting the Q data files between the two platforms... (methinks). All that being said, I have been using Quicken and Intuit products for over 20 years, and I know them pretty well. Intuit Online has an AMAZING tech support program, I can't complain. If I have a problem it is always promptly solved without a long wait. That $60-$70 a month is WAYYYYYY LESSSSSS than I would have to pay an accountant or other to do that work (plus I have been doing it myself for over 20 years so why would I change now?) Yes they are greedy, totally agreed, but I feel it is a good or at least competitive value. $149 (their upgrades range from $65 to $99 for personal use, mine is $120, so even less) for an upgrade comes down to about $13/month, or less than $2/week, or less than $.50/day! For me it is TOTALLY WORTH IT to have that data ready at my fingertips. There have been some glitches with downloading from my bank, but nothing that has actually costed me $$$. The one time (in several years) that I actually had an issue where a limited group of duplicate deposit transactions (about 7) were downloaded without my realizing it for a few weeks (because our balance was so that we could always pay our bills) AND I usually catch it if and when it does happen, but I was able to simply log onto my bank's website or call, or go to my bank and check the actual balance, (Quicken downloads the current bank balance in real time and shows both my register balance and the bank's) which lead me to look into the discrepancy. There are workarounds. Like I said I do not know any other banking software because it's what I've used for over 20 years and I'm good with it. For the individual, you have to decide if that .44 cents a day is going to be worth it for you, (maybe getting a "tall" latte instead of the "grande")? (haha note to self!) Its PERSONAL FINANCIAL SOFTWARE so it is going to be a personal preference, and is available for anybody to evaluate on an annual (or sooner) basis. I specifically resent what Microsoft is doing with their updates though (enough to cause me to really think about switching to a Mac). #smh #illuminati Here is a link to another review: http://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20161013005308/en/Quicken-Launches-2017-Product-Line

edited October 2016
  • Reply 37 of 58
    robbyxrobbyx Posts: 479member
    maestro64 said:
    paxman said:
    sog35 said:
    Quicken sucks

Intuit especially sucks.

If your bank offers online access to your account (pretty much every bank), your financial information is already online, even if you haven't set up online access.  You still have an account there and the bank still lets people access accounts via the internet.  Now, do you give Quicken, QuickBooks, Mint, or some other app or service access to that information?  That's a fair question and you might want to consider the security issues around allowing third party access to your financial data, but make no mistake, your accounts are already online and already hackable.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 38 of 58
    DenisemoDenisemo Posts: 4unconfirmed, member
    That is true. I'm not sure what you are referring to. Are you a hacker? ;) Hacking is getting redonk tho. Worries me every damn day.
  • Reply 39 of 58

paxman said:
    sog35 said:
    Quicken sucks

Intuit especially sucks.

maestro64 said:
    sog35 said:
    Quicken sucks

Intuit especially sucks.

Welcome to the new world of software, you no longer own the software and they want you online so they can have access to your data and make you pay for the privilege. Plus they can make updates which you may or may not like. I personal never like the cloud based services, because you have to take the good with the bad whether you like it not. I use Quicken (personal stuff) and QuickBooks (my sons Business stuff) and we use the old versions since they work for us. Now we have to decide whether to upgrade the mac software, personally, I have held off on mac upgrade so I did not have to upgrade other software. I held off going to OSX 10.8 because apple got ride of Rosetta and quicken 2007 would not work, then Intuit release and update to run on machine that did not support Rosetta.

I never update my mac without first verifying all my software works with the new version and the same goes for any application I have bought, I first check to see if people are reporting problems to make sure it is not going to cause me a problem. This is also why I away maintain backup copies of the data and application so if an upgrade fills I can revert back especially with Quicken and QuickBooks since it many times converts the data to a new format.

Quicken is one of the few -- maybe the ONLY - personal financial vendors that gives you the option of using their online cloud services or running entirely on your own equipment.

Personally I believe that no amount of security can stop a determined hacker.  Therefor I do NOT want my personal financial data on anybody's server but my own.

Think about it:  Hackers go where the money is:  A few years ago they targeted retail.  Now they are moving to healthcare.  But, personal financial data would be a gold mine for them -- Account Numbers, IDs, Passwords.  And, since it is investments and bank accounts, there is ZERO consumer protection (no $50 liability limit).  Your money could be gone.

Your accounts are already online, via your bank.  Your financial data is already on someone else's server (the bank).  Intuit has been doing financial software for years, decades.  It's the only thing they do.  Banks use their technology to exchange information.  I'd be much more concerned about someone hacking another web site or service, discovering your username and password, then logging into your bank because you used the same password.  That's much more likely to happen than someone successfully hacking your bank or QuickBooks Online or Mint or whatever.

I'm amazed at how many people use the same password for everything and never change it.  If you're diligent about password management and give your bank accounts unique strong passwords, you probably have a better change of getting struck by lightning than having your account hacked.
    Denisemo
  • Reply 40 of 58
    Denisemo said:
    That is true. I'm not sure what you are referring to. Are you a hacker? ;) Hacking is getting redonk tho. Worries me every damn day.
    Really?  I don't even think about it.  Sure, it could happen, but you're far more likely to be killed driving to work.  Do you worry about that?  If you are diligent about security, you have very little to fear.  Enable two-factor authentication for any site (not just banks) that support it.  Never use the same password for more than one website.  Change your passwords often.  A password manager like 1Password really helps manage that workflow.

Sure, there's a chance you'll get hacked, but it's very VERY remote.  And even if someone does manage to hack a retailer and get your credit card info they have on file, so what?  I've lost count of how many times my credit card number has been compromised.  I've never paid a penny for any of the fraudulent charges.  My credit score is still fantastic.  I pay for a copy of my credit report from the three bureaus on an annual basis and check it for errors.  I've never discovered (knock on wood) a fraudulent account.

It's good to be vigilant.  However, in my opinion, there are far greater dangers to my health and happiness, financial or otherwise, than hackers.
    Denisemo