More reports circulate suggesting a late-October MacBook Pro, MacBook Air refresh

13»

Comments

• Reply 41 of 49
    macxpressmacxpress Posts: 5,808member
    So is Apple killing the Mac Pro and Mac mini?
    Um...where did you get that?
    pulseimages
  • Reply 42 of 49
    I really hope they make a new magsafe that is fitted for the USB-C slot like all the magnetic lightning cables you see on the market. Because damnit, I'm going to miss the magsafe if they really remove it. Even more than the 3.5mm headphone jack.

edited October 2016 Solibaconstangjahajapaxman
  • Reply 43 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    macxpress said:
    So is Apple killing the Mac Pro and Mac mini?
    Um...where did you get that?
    "I heard nothing specific mentioned in this unsubstaniated rumour, so that means Apple must be killing the Mac Pro and Mac mini."

It's just the way some people think… or, actively choose to not think, as it were.
    edited October 2016 nolamacguywatto_cobrapaxman
  • Reply 44 of 49
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    ksec said:
    I hope I am wrong. But next year seems to be a Big Jump of tech for every apple product. APFS will likely officially ship in next year macOS update. Which means next year not only we will get 10nm Cannonlake for Notebook, but also likely full lineup using SSD ( Finally! ) It baffles me why Computer shipping in late 2016 would still have HDD as bootdrive.

A new iPhone design, new Apple Watch design, likely new iPad Pro in early 2017.

I wanted to buy a new Mac, but the "value" proposition for Mac is getting lower everyday, especially in the notebook segment. ( The Retina iMac offers surprising good value if you are into 4K / 5K screen )
    who said apple's putting out a new watch next year? was two years to get Series 2...may be another two. 
    pulseimages
  • Reply 45 of 49
    mac_128mac_128 Posts: 3,454member
    blueeddie said:
    I really hope they make a new magsafe that is fitted for the USB-C slot like all the magnetic lightning cables you see on the market. Because damnit, I'm going to miss the magsafe if they really remove it. Even more than the 3.5mm headphone jack.

Not that they couldn't do a USB-C mag-safe connector like this, but practically speaking, it would be quite complex to offer all the data passthrough, and not really something you'd want to risk to an accidental sudden disconnect. Charging only would be perfectly acceptable. 

But I'm counting on Apple adding a Lightning port to the Macs to make this kind of solution practical, something those who don't use Lightning headphones, can leave permanently in place -- not a practical option for USB-C ports, especially on the Retina MacBook. 

Presumably we'll see next week.
    pulseimages
  • Reply 46 of 49
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    mac_128 said:
    Not that they couldn't do a USB-C mag-safe connector like this, but practically speaking, it would be quite complex to offer all the data passthrough, and not really something you'd want to risk to an accidental sudden disconnect. Charging only would be perfectly acceptable. 

But I'm counting on Apple adding a Lightning port to the Macs to make this kind of solution practical, something those who don't use Lightning headphones, can leave permanently in place -- not a practical option for USB-C ports, especially on the Retina MacBook. 

Presumably we'll see next week.
    I expect to see this as an 3rd-party option for charging. It will also allow for other vendors to finally utilize a MagSafe-like connector.
  • Reply 47 of 49
    anomeanome Posts: 1,533member
    Soli said:
    wood1208 said:
    If October 29th is a day of event than the announcement of event date got to happen in next 3 days for a week window before the real event taking place…
    It's not happening on a Saturday. More like Oct. 25 or 26th, if it happens this month.
    How about next Thursday, Oct.27th, which is the start date of this conference?

http://www.fcpxcreativesummit.com/schedule/

Which happens to take place in Cupertino and the entire Friday schedule takes place on Apple's campus? Apple is supposedly releasing the next major release of FCPX (10.2.4 or 10.3) during this conference.

I doubt they'd make an announcement about hardware at a Final Cut conference (although it's not impossible) but this is presumably the reason they moved the earnings call.

I suppose they could have a keynote with product announcements, but they'd still want press to attend, and need to get invites out soon, if it's not already too late.

• Reply 48 of 49
    tomo.commenttomo.comment Posts: 7unconfirmed, member
    I don't think Apple will refresh Air. Apple wants to focus on Retina Macbook and MBP, get rid of Air soon. Air will stay just like the Non-retina MBP as an entry model. They purposely didn't refresh that in order to up-sell retina. I assume they will launch 12 iPad, too. This is also for up-sell. Up-selling is the key for Apple to create much bigger profit. That is why iPhone 7 Plus has better camera and more RAM.