Apple claims huge swaths of 'genuine' accessories on Amazon are counterfeit in new lawsuit [u]

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 39
    boltsfan17boltsfan17 Posts: 2,294member
    Sammiemo said:
    I would never buy products listed as genuine from third party sellers on Amazon unless you can verify they are authorized resellers. 
    Note that these cables were purchased from Amazon form a third party, but were listed as "ships from and sold by Amazon.com"
    I guess I missed that in the picture. So these items weren't sold under Amazon's "Fulfillment by Amazon" program. That makes it even more difficult since Amazon bought from a vendor supplying knockoffs. 
  • Reply 22 of 39
    sflocalsflocal Posts: 6,096member
    dacloo said:
    That's what you get if you create a propriety system and scam users with overpriced cables. 
    And that's what you get if you remove the jack port that nobody asked for, so that they control that market space too with expensive third-party licensing fees and premium first-party devices.

That's what you get when you spend too much time in mommy's basement and she's late to bring you down your supper.

Let us know when (if) you graduate grade school, and after spending some time in the real world, come on back when you're ready to be an adult.
    brucemcronnwatto_cobrabadmonknolamacguy
  • Reply 23 of 39
    volcan said:
    I wonder why Apple doesn't put their logo on the chargers and cables.
    what would it change, though?
    dysamoria
  • Reply 24 of 39
    Even when a product is Fulfilled by Amazon, stock from third party sellers is mixed with Amazon stock in their warehouses. If the stock shipped to Amazon by a third party seller is counterfeit, any items with that SKU can be used to fulfill a customer order (a seller's stock of model x cable is not kept separate from another seller or Amazon's stock of model x).

The amount of counterfeit product in the fulfilled by Amazon inventory is high enough for some products (see Jaybird BT Headphones for an example), I won't even order from them any more. This isn't isolated to this seller, or to Apple products. The NYT had a story about the problem a few months back.
    dysamoriaration alronn
  • Reply 25 of 39
    dacloo said:
    That's what you get if you create a propriety system and scam users with overpriced cables. 
    And that's what you get if you remove the jack port that nobody asked for, so that they control that market space too with expensive third-party licensing fees and premium first-party devices.

And what exactly do you get?
    Apple pricey stuff that works, amazon's less pricey stuff that is crap and amazon's cheap stuff that might or might not work, depending on your luck? 
    And that is Apple's fault somehow? 

In the ranking of blames that Apple should take for other's failures (according to people like you) does that fault go above or below the blame for Samsung explosive batteries problem? I have heard Apple definetely is to blame for that too.....
    ronnwatto_cobrabadmonk
  • Reply 26 of 39
    sog35 said:
    Amazon is getting more a more shaddy
    My experience is that Amazon doesn't respond to customer complaints about counterfeit products by doing investigations; it simply handles these complaints on a case-by-case basis, usually though product exchanges. The issue is that Amazon accepts all kinds of suppliers without vetting, and some are small shady importers who are buying these fake accessories in bulk from China with the intention of reselling them on Amazon. These shady sellers try to keep their rating higher than they should be by refunding unhappy customer immediately. It seems like Amazon will only take the problem seriously when a manufacturer complains about counterfeiting. I'm glad Apple is actively checking these channels and squashing them when they appear. It is, however, a game of whack-a-mole.
    dysamoriaration alronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 27 of 39
    plovellplovell Posts: 824member
    slurpy said:
    Good move on Apple's part. This is despicable, and Amazon should take alot of the blame for allowing this garbage masquerading as authentic Apple products. 
    So you want Amazon to personally certify everything sold? From the OP they removed selling privileges when informed by Apple. Which seems to be a good action.
    I complained to Amazon about this a couple of years ago. They blew me off then. 

I guess it takes a sledgehammer on the foot to get Amazon's attention. Customer complaints don't matter.
    dysamoriaronnwatto_cobra
  • Reply 28 of 39
    welshdog said:
    Apparently Amazon has created an environment for sellers that makes distributing counterfeit goods easy and relatively safe.  There have been a number of articles chronicling their practices and lackluster efforts to curb the fraud.  Wall Street Journal had a big one two years ago.  The big problem arises when you consider that most people trust the Amazon brand - it's everywhere.  So when they go there to shop, it feels safe and secure because of their ubiquitous branding.  If Amazon had made any real effort to remove and punish seller who sell fake goods that would be great, but they haven't done that.  Banning one seller because Apple asked them to doesn't amount to much.  In fact, Amazon may have created a system so convoluted and screwy that it is nearly impossible for them to do anything about the issue.  I've been making an effort to buy more locally sold goods and have often found them at the same or similar price.  It used to be Amazon was cheaper most of the time, but not anymore.
    Here is an interesting article:

http://www.cnbc.com/2016/07/08/amazons-chinese-counterfeit-problem-is-getting-worse.html
    1stration al
  • Reply 29 of 39
    This is a permanent problem that won't ever be addressed by catching violators one-by-one. The incentives to cheat are too strong, and consumers don't know about the risks they are taking with their devices (and lives) until it is too late.

Apple should develop an iOS app that runs a few diagnostic tests on accessories plugged into iPhone (iPad) ports, then reports on what it discovers -- voltage, frequency, electronic chips, etc. The app should distinguish beteeen genuine Apple parts and fakes. After the findings of the port analysis, the app could provide safety-risk assessments, possible warranty violations and a link to order genuine parts (or a map showing local vendors). Apple could rely on regional, national and international summaries to identify new bootleg accessories as they hit the market.

To maximize its value as a diagnostic-help tool, Apple should not use the results of this app to identify or sanction individual users for using unauthorized accessories, except in lawsuits where it would be available to both parties.
    Until the Chinese government is actually serious about cracking down on counterfeiters, instead of actually colluding with them, nothing will change.

I actually went to this place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_F2WCStjXLQ

edited October 2016
  • Reply 30 of 39
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    This is a permanent problem that won't ever be addressed by catching violators one-by-one. The incentives to cheat are too strong, and consumers don't know about the risks they are taking with their devices (and lives) until it is too late.

Apple should develop an iOS app that runs a few diagnostic tests on accessories plugged into iPhone (iPad) ports, then reports on what it discovers -- voltage, frequency, electronic chips, etc. The app should distinguish beteeen genuine Apple parts and fakes. After the findings of the port analysis, the app could provide safety-risk assessments, possible warranty violations and a link to order genuine parts (or a map showing local vendors). Apple could rely on regional, national and international summaries to identify new bootleg accessories as they hit the market.

To maximize its value as a diagnostic-help tool, Apple should not use the results of this app to identify or sanction individual users for using unauthorized accessories, except in lawsuits where it would be available to both parties.
    Apple had to disassemble these counterfeits to discover electrical hazards. No diagnostic tool will do that in software. As for power delivery, there are already tools to measure that. As for the rest... The device already looks for a chip in a lightning port to identify what's plugged in. If that's been copied effectively, you fool the software.
  • Reply 31 of 39
    dysamoriadysamoria Posts: 3,430member
    welshdog said:
    Apparently Amazon has created an environment for sellers that makes distributing counterfeit goods easy and relatively safe.  There have been a number of articles chronicling their practices and lackluster efforts to curb the fraud.  Wall Street Journal had a big one two years ago.  The big problem arises when you consider that most people trust the Amazon brand - it's everywhere.  So when they go there to shop, it feels safe and secure because of their ubiquitous branding.  If Amazon had made any real effort to remove and punish seller who sell fake goods that would be great, but they haven't done that.  Banning one seller because Apple asked them to doesn't amount to much.  In fact, Amazon may have created a system so convoluted and screwy that it is nearly impossible for them to do anything about the issue.  I've been making an effort to buy more locally sold goods and have often found them at the same or similar price.  It used to be Amazon was cheaper most of the time, but not anymore.
    Welcome to the habits of public ownership and laissez faire capitalism. Establish a brand by doing things really well. Then, after having entrenched your brand and business agreements, pump up your profit margins by gutting the quality. Next: diversify your company to extinction. Finally: make a lateral move to another corporation and repeat (or retire).
    ronnnolamacguy
  • Reply 32 of 39
    dacloo said:

You could always, you know, not buy apple products if you feel that way? I'm sure apple won't miss your custom.
  • Reply 33 of 39
    sog35 said:
    My experience is that Amazon doesn't respond to customer complaints about counterfeit products by doing investigations; it simply handles these complaints on a case-by-case basis, usually though product exchanges. The issue is that Amazon accepts all kinds of suppliers without vetting, and some are small shady importers who are buying these fake accessories in bulk from China with the intention of reselling them on Amazon. These shady sellers try to keep their rating higher than they should be by refunding unhappy customer immediately. It seems like Amazon will only take the problem seriously when a manufacturer complains about counterfeiting. I'm glad Apple is actively checking these channels and squashing them when they appear. It is, however, a game of whack-a-mole.
    I bought a cheap tablet for my dad from amazon a few years back, fullfilled by amazon, dispatched by and from the amazon warehouse down the road from me. Day one, the charger exploded in the wall, a month later the battery didnt hold any charge, a month after that the charging port stopped working. Amazon refused to do anything, it was between me and the 3rd party seller, who obviously didn't care. I tried to get some money back, nope amazon can't help there either, seller didnt even offer return, said it was between me and manufacturer in china, wtf. I buy my cheap chinese crap directly from china now, at least that way I pay peanuts and if it works it's a bonus.
  • Reply 34 of 39
    rob53rob53 Posts: 3,251member
    slurpy said:
    Good move on Apple's part. This is despicable, and Amazon should take alot of the blame for allowing this garbage masquerading as authentic Apple products. 
    So you want Amazon to personally certify everything sold? From the OP they removed selling privileges when informed by Apple. Which seems to be a good action.
    Yep, that's what a respectable company would do. Oh wait, Amazon is just a store front for anyone who wants to sell their garbage. Amazon could care less what they're selling as long as people buy it because they will always get their percentage.
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 35 of 39
    badmonkbadmonk Posts: 1,295member
    adm1 said:
    sog35 said:
    I bought a cheap tablet for my dad from amazon a few years back, fullfilled by amazon, dispatched by and from the amazon warehouse down the road from me. Day one, the charger exploded in the wall, a month later the battery didnt hold any charge, a month after that the charging port stopped working. Amazon refused to do anything, it was between me and the 3rd party seller, who obviously didn't care. I tried to get some money back, nope amazon can't help there either, seller didnt even offer return, said it was between me and manufacturer in china, wtf. I buy my cheap chinese crap directly from china now, at least that way I pay peanuts and if it works it's a bonus.

agree, the famed Amazon commitment to customer service is gone.  last year i purchased two CD box sets from a 3rd party seller.  only one box set arrived.

i thought no problem.  i'll just let the seller know and any reasonable party would send the second box set.  of course, they didn't.

than i thought no problem, amazon would come to my aid.  well they did not side with me.

the bottom line is that i went through the arbitration process twice and it was a no go for my issue.

• Reply 36 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    dacloo said:

what the fuck are you trolling on about? how is apple controlling market space by removing the jack? it's bluetooth for chrissake, anybody can make devices for it.
    edited October 2016
  • Reply 37 of 39
    retrogustoretrogusto Posts: 1,112member
    slurpy said:
    It's really not very complicated, they would just have to buy products from the original manufacturers if they're claiming to know who manufactured it. And yes, I don't know if "personally" is the word I would use, but a store should know what it's selling and convey that accurately to their customers. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't be in business. 
    nolamacguy
  • Reply 38 of 39
    nolamacguynolamacguy Posts: 4,758member
    slurpy said:
    It's really not very complicated, they would just have to buy products from the original manufacturers if they're claiming to know who manufactured it. And yes, I don't know if "personally" is the word I would use, but a store should know what it's selling and convey that accurately to their customers. If they can't handle that, they shouldn't be in business. 
    it's no different than what i'd expect Target or Best Buy to do. if they sold bogus products you bet they'd be on the hook.