Microsoft Surface Dial evokes comparison to Griffin PowerMate for Mac

2»

Comments

• Reply 21 of 28
    maestro64maestro64 Posts: 5,043member
    Soli said:
    jbdragon said:
    maestro64 said:

The important thing to remember MS has long history of promising great things and failing to deliver on them. I willing to put this product concept in the same bucket.

This is why I always liked Apple, they never showed up what was not already possible, they delivered exactly what they demo. MS and other show these great ideas and we wait years only to find out they could not make it work as they claim they would.

I hate company's announcing things and then don't get released or not as advertised when they are released. Why say something about a product that's not even ready to be sold within a few weeks. Apple dragged a little long with the Apple Watch, but most of the time, when Apple announces a product, it's being sold within a couple weeks.
    Of course Apple announced the Watch before it was ready to go on sale. They did the same thing with the iPhone, iPad, and AirPods, too. Apple is not a startup company. They sell far too many units with far too many vendors and manufacturers involved for them to be able to launch a new physical product category without anyone noticing. It's better to control the announcement.

I bet tomorrow we'll see several products announced and demoed that aren't immediately available for sale. I'm basing this on the fact that we've seen no HW leaks for the completed product.

Okay you're splitting hairs here. Apple has pre-announce they always pre-announce, some times a week to a month and a couple of time 6 months ahead of time. But what shows up on the store shelf was exactly what they demo. Not some futuristic state of what they believe it would become. MS and other companies, show of slideware/vaporware products all the time. Many times it is attempt to hold off consumers from buying what they could now in hopes of something better. Sometime they truly believe they will be successful and they fail miserably and abandon the idea and never tell anyone they moved on. They also never say when it will be available they just say it is coming.

Lets leave the start-ups out of this since we all know why they show off what maybe the future, they have nothing to loose since they are not selling anything.

• Reply 22 of 28
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    Or you could get the Space Pilot or Space Mouse.  The Space Mouse would be more like Microsoft's new offering.  Have an engineer that is using the Space Pilot Pro and loves it.

http://www.3dconnexion.com/products/spacemouse.html

• Reply 23 of 28
    icoco3icoco3 Posts: 1,474member
    maestro64 said:
    Soli said:
    jbdragon said:
    maestro64 said:

The important thing to remember MS has long history of promising great things and failing to deliver on them. I willing to put this product concept in the same bucket.

This is why I always liked Apple, they never showed up what was not already possible, they delivered exactly what they demo. MS and other show these great ideas and we wait years only to find out they could not make it work as they claim they would.

I hate company's announcing things and then don't get released or not as advertised when they are released. Why say something about a product that's not even ready to be sold within a few weeks. Apple dragged a little long with the Apple Watch, but most of the time, when Apple announces a product, it's being sold within a couple weeks.
    Of course Apple announced the Watch before it was ready to go on sale. They did the same thing with the iPhone, iPad, and AirPods, too. Apple is not a startup company. They sell far too many units with far too many vendors and manufacturers involved for them to be able to launch a new physical product category without anyone noticing. It's better to control the announcement.

I bet tomorrow we'll see several products announced and demoed that aren't immediately available for sale. I'm basing this on the fact that we've seen no HW leaks for the completed product.

Okay you're splitting hairs here. Apple has pre-announce they always pre-announce, some times a week to a month and a couple of time 6 months ahead of time. But what shows up on the store shelf was exactly what they demo. Not some futuristic state of what they believe it would become. MS and other companies, show of slideware/vaporware products all the time. Many times it is attempt to hold off consumers from buying what they could now in hopes of something better. Sometime they truly believe they will be successful and they fail miserably and abandon the idea and never tell anyone they moved on. They also never say when it will be available they just say it is coming.

Lets leave the start-ups out of this since we all know why they show off what maybe the future, they have nothing to loose since they are not selling anything.

That is so 80's of ya....
  • Reply 24 of 28
    Used to have a PowerMate and figured they had long ago cancelled it. They seem to have abandoned the Mac for iPhone cases and such- like Apple.
  • Reply 25 of 28
    SoliSoli Posts: 10,035member
    maestro64 said:

I'm not debating what Apple has done compared to other companies. Yes, Apple doesn't do vaporware. The closeest they have to that might be some OS features that never saw the light of day, like Resolution Independence for macOS or open sourcing FaceTime. On the HW side they did an atypical publci demo of the Apple TV before they even had a name. They called it ITV during the demo. My hypothesis is that this was to show the content owners that they had a great, secure system for streamng TV shows and movies. This, of course, bombed. Arguably Steve Jobs biggest miss.

Anyway, my point was to show that there is a reason for new product categories have a longer lead time than established products. I don't consider that to be "dragging."
  • Reply 26 of 28
    I love all my Apple devises but when i saw the Surface desktop i had the same feeling when i bought my 1st MBP.
    When will Apple come up with a product that has similar functionality?
    Micro Soft  - their marketing looks like an Apple store ad - the Surface desktop looks inspired by the iMac.
    I work in a PC environment  so i know the crap that comes along with a PC OS - so would this product be any different?
    My 2014 MBP is not going anywhere unless Apple come up with some jaw dropping, mouth watering, heart beating product that made me grab the plastic when i bought my 1st MBP & the Apple Watch came out.
  • Reply 27 of 28
    I've owned and liked my Powermate for many years, but there are minor bugs in the software and Griffin only updates the software every five years or so.